Chapter 3 - Ghostly Friendships

Troublemaker

“Hey, apparently, our year is the only year that is not on an excursion today! Isn’t that unfair?” rants Maria.
You nod and continue saying ‘yes’ as she babbles on about injustice and stuff. Then something catches your eye, as if it where put on a spotlight and lifted on a pedastal. Niel was sitting alone in the center of the canteen area, slurping his noodles peacefully. You shake your head disapprovingly, sort of pitying him in one way. At first you tried to ignore it, scolding yourself for caring, but you couldn't help it anymore.
“Hey, Maria,” you say. “I’ll be back.”
You walk slowly to Niel and sit down, facing him.

“Hi, Niel,” you say teasingly. “Who are your friends, ghosts?”
He flicks you a look of pain, and immediately, you feel guilty. Ouch, maybe a bit too harsh?
“I have no real friends, Yuri.” he replies in an angry tone.
“So, I don’t count as a friend, huh?” you ask. “I see how it is.”
He looks at you as if he’s about to cry. Tears well up in the corner of his eyes, and his hands are clenched in fists. You stare at each other for a while, assessing each other, saying nothing until the bell rings. You grab his hand and lead him somewhere.
“Come.” you say. “Follow me, arasso?”

Tightly holding his hand, you take him to the children’s playground and lead him to the the cluster of bushes and trees. After weaving through the trees, you come find your secret place. It’s a river with crystal clear water complemented with a spectacular waterfall. The shining sun reflects upon the water and glistens in your eyes. The river makes splashing sounds, the birds tweet in the background and the wind rustles through the leaves, together making the sound of nature. Niel stares around, trying to take in all of the beautiful scenery with his eyes.
“This is my secret place.” you whisper. No one has ever been here but you and your mother.

“Look, even my best friend hasn’t seen this place,” you say. “So technically, you’re like more than a best friend to me.”
You think your words weren’t meaningful at all, but not to Niel.
“Well, technically only. I only consider you as an acquaintance.” you state flatly.
It was quite evident that your words really did matter to him, because he started to tell you a story. As you settle down and seat yourself in the rocks by the flowing river, he begins his story in a tone of somewhat sadness.
“Every school I go to, people admire me for my looks and my charisma.” begins Niel. “Never for who I really am. Most are girls, so I never really got the chance to make friends that I could actually hang out with. Most of my school years were spent like this, and now, I forgot what having friends are like.”
“What looks or charisma?” you ask jokingly. Of course, deep inside, you found him quite attractive.

“For once, I would really like a friend that is my friend because of who I really am.” he continues. “I thought that maybe...” He pauses.
“Maybe you could finally find a friend sooner? You kept holding on to that hope. You became loud and funny just so you could make friends, but because of your over flowing confidence, people mistook that you were popular and already had lots of friends.” you continue for him.

He looks at you as if you were a witch that had read his mind, and you flicked your head around in satisfaction.

You both stared silently at the cloudless sky.
“I’ll help you find a friend.” you suggest after a few minutes.
“Really?” he asks hopefully, like a child.
“I already found you one.” you say.
“Who?” he asks in curiosity.
“Me.” you say.

Not knowing how to reply, Niel smiles at you but you don't smile back. After all, it had been a long time since you last smiled, and this moment didn't quite make it there. Out of nowhere, he holds your hand. Your once cold hand flushes with warmth. I wish you the best Niel, you say to yourself.