Chapter 15 - Past and Present

Troublemaker

Dae Hyun POV:
Your mum left your family when you were fifteen. She left because she loved someone else. She ripped your family apart, leaving your father depressed with an illness, your abusive brother, a vulnerable sister and you, a once innocent child, now a cold-hearted and distant person. But you still loved your mother, no matter what.

Suddenly feeling better, you rise from your bed. Your vision is still slightly blurry, and you feel a small throbbing sensation in your forehead. It’s probably just a small headache, you just shrug off. In the corner of the room, is a blurry figure, the one that tended to you while you were sick. You squint your eyes. Ga-yun Yuri?!?

You stumble back from shock, but quickly recover to your normal behavior. Yuri sleeps peacefully, her head resting against the wall. Her brown hair is so dark, it looks jet black, and compliments her eyes. Her eyes are closed now, but her long eyelashes catch your attention. Her lips are slightly open, and instead of being grateful that she has helped you, your grow worried and slightly embarrassed.

You were anxious for her, because she probably grew tired from all the hard work of nursing you back to health again. You were blushing, because she was the first person to ever see you when it happened. When you had a breakdown. You were remembering your parents, fighting over something, yelling as if they wanted to kill each other. You remembered hearing glass shatter on the ground, and your mother crying. You remembered your father, dragging you by the arm, and hitting you with his fist. You remember your mother being hit. You remember Maria, crying as you tried to protect her from your father's hands.

You take a jacket from your closet and wrap it around her. Why did Maria ask you to take care of her before she moved to the States with her mother? What is it about this girl? You sat on your bed, trying to answer these questions that wrapped around your mind. But really, there was one question that, out of all, was the hardest to answer. What was she to you?

Just then, her eyes open wide, as if she were startled by something. She looks around, alert, and she sees you, just as wide-eyed as she is, and she calms down.
“I was worried about you. I must have dozed off.” she explains as she gets up to leave.
All you see is her serious face, but you can still remember her warm smile. You still wish that you could smile like that.


At school, normally, seeing Minwoo acting sweet around Yuri was nothing to you, but now you felt something stir in your heart. Not jealousy, nor happiness for them, but something indescribable, something that you couldn’t explain. As the months flew by, you and Yuri grew closer together. It started whenever she would come over to your house, to play on the PS3 all night with you. Then you would walk her back home. Soon, this became a regular schedule.

Together, you both started to open up... Slowly, but surely. You found out more about Yuri’s dark past, and you managed to tell her some about yours. Discovering that you both strongly shared the same disposition, she became your closest friend. She was very close to breaking your facade, and you to hers. But there was still something growing in your heart, something so strong that you thought it was going to explode through your chest (metaphorically, of course).

So much has happened since the past few months. Maria, your sister, a close friend of Yuri’s left the school to move to the States with mum. You remember Yuri's tears. At school, she showed her cold facade, and acted like she wasn’t affected by the news at all. Maria understood though; she understood that Yuri didn’t want to show her true feelings. Maria told you to take care of her, and that she trusted you, more than anyone. Of course, that day, when Yuri came to your bedroom crying and sobbing—you comforted her. She no longer put up a facade between you two, but could you break down the wall you put up, just as she did?

You reflected on how it all started—with Maria’s hasty words to you.
“She’s going to break one day,” she told you while riding the limousine to school. “I can feel it.”
“Break?” you ask her, perplexed.
“You’ll understand soon.” she replies.
After a long while of silence, she sits up properly and faces you.
“Always remember this: she is like glass, hanging precariously off a ledge. Everyone is reaching out to pull her back, but she is resisting so much, that one day, I’m scared she will fall and break. That she will fall and become broken glass, harming everyone around her. I’m scared that one day, when she gets closer to someone, she will only end up giving them and herself, pain.” she says seriously.
Her tone surprises you. You stare out the window, your eyes shifting between all the objects that blur past. The car skids to a halt.
“There she is. Now go. Promise you will take care of her when I’m gone.” she instructs.
“I promise.” you reply, shutting the door behind you. You see that Yuri stands there, staring off into the distance in the other direction.