Chapter 4 - Confessional Stranger

Troublemaker

The next day, you see Niel patiently waiting at the school gate. He catches your eye, waves and smiles at you like how a little child would wave at his mother. Just before you reach him, a crowd of girls engulf him, dragging him into classes while attempting to flirt with him, viciously fighting amongst themselves for the gift of his attention. You just shrug and continue walking to class. Niel gestures to meet him at lunch, making an eating action and pointing like crazy all over the place. You nod as a reply and silently laugh at how silly he looked, hiding your smiling mouth.

After a long day of algebra and Egyptian history, you take an empty seat in the corner of the cafeteria, far from all the noise and the screaming from the other tables. Niel sits in front of you, and suddenly you realize how irresistibly attractive he actually looks. His flawless skin contrasts well with his chocolate brown hair. His hair is naturally curly, like a poodle, and his eyes shine playfully and cheerfully. In all honesty, his lips are thicker, pinker and more luscious than yours is. He is tall, skinny, and in general, reeks of the word ‘hot’. That’s what he’s so famous for anyway.

On the other hand, your eyes are a tint of brown, intense and sharp-looking. Your dark brown hair is straight and organized, dip dyed golden brown with random outbursts of orange at the ends. Your body figure is known to be the best in your year, perfectly skinny, perfect hourglass figure. You are medium-tall, a bit shorter than Niel, and your face is petite. Your most outstanding feature is your eyes—incomparably beautiful under the sunlight. It matches your golden brown hair. You don’t know this, but many guys fall head-over heels for you, and you are even asked out more often than Niel is, but you never realize. Your appearance and cold attitude gave you quite the reputation indeed.

In fact, in front of Niel, a guy from behind swiftly slips a letter into your lap as you eat your lunch. As you hear the stranger’s fast footsteps fade, you open the unknown letter and quietly read its contents.

Dear Ga-Yun Yuri,
Since you where a junior in school, I have always admired you. Your eyes shine like the sun, and your lips are as rosy as a flower. You are a beautiful girl, who deserves to be courted by someone like me.

I’m asking you out, will you accept?
No Min Woo.


You cringe awkwardly. His handwriting was amazing, and freakishly neat, for a guy. You rub the nape of your neck, embarrassed by his extravagant writing.
“What does it say?” asked Niel, intrigued by the suspense of your reaction.
You pass the letter to him, blushing. His eyes quickly scans the paper and he returns it to you.
“Reject him.” he says after his eyes scan the paper, almost too immediately.
“Why should I?” you ask, doubtful.
“Because,” he thinks. “Because then you’ll look too attached! Besides, he doesn’t look like the right kind of guy for you.”
“What kind of guy is right for me anyway?” you say.
The bell rings, and you see Niel’s lips move in reply, but you can’t hear him over the resonant ringing of the bell. Little did you know, that Niel said: I’m the right kind of guy for you.

No Min Woo was a good friend to everyone. You have been in the same classes for quite some time, and sometimes even partnered up for activities, sometimes; but you never, ever have viewed him in that way. He was outstandingly attractive—his perfectly aligned teeth, his straight hair, his soft voice, his great humor, his honesty and his gentle actions has caused him to become one of the most desired boyfriends in the entire school, and he confessed to you. Just to you. What should I do?

...

Everyone threw their papers and pencils in the air as a response. According to the homeroom teacher, school camp in happening in a few days time. As the teacher tries to settle the excited students down, you glance across the room and see Niel. He is one of the crazy people, yelling and throwing things in excitement. You despised camp, because this was when everyone would be in a happy mood, and get all mushy.

As you silently chew on your plain sandwich, Niel blabbers on about his memories from his camping experiences, how he actually had friends during the time. He talked about pranks, rock-climbing, rafting, canoeing and all the various activities that he wanted to do at the following camp. Maria stares lovingly at him, gazing like crazy, and you can’t help but smirk at her idiocy.