Chapter 6 - Spilt Coffee

Troublemaker

Next thing you know, your thin lips and Niel’s thick lips are getting closer and closer. Both of your muscles are tight, and suddenly, you’re turning red, as well as Niel. But the pocky stick was too small, and Niel’s lips touches yours as he struggles to pass it onto you. Both your eyes grow wide, and you cover your mouth with your hand.
“Yah, she’s my girlfriend!” yells Minwoo. “Let me clean that kiss off for you.”
He grabs you by the waist and pulls you closer to him. He kisses you on the lips for a long time. His lips are thin and incredibly soft, like a rose petal. His hand tightens around your waist and soon, you break off from his grasp, even redder then before. Your heart beats in an incredibly fast pace, but you quickly manage yourself and try to return to the ‘ice princess’.

All the fan girls sigh adorably.
“Niel, your lips are so thick, no wonder Yuri accidentally touched your lips!” explains a fan girl.
“Yeah!” agrees the other.
Niel’s face is calm and emotionless. He looks intensely in your eyes for a few seconds and quickly looks away.
“Minwoo, sorry for that.” he apologizes in a single tone.
“It’s okay, I got to kiss Yuri anyway.” he replies cheerfully.

The next day at school, you see Niel in the hallway. Not wanting to be rude, you wave to him, but he coldly continues walking, ignoring you. So this is what I get for being nice. You turn into the ice princess again. In maths class, for the first time ever, he’s silent. The entire class is quiet. Even the math’s teacher is surprised. At lunch, he silently chews his food as your boyfriend tells the group funny stories about the time he first saw you.
“When I first saw Yuri I accidentally bumped into the vice-principal. She spilt her coffee on her clothes and I got 2 weeks of detention because of that.” he says.
Everybody laughs and you lift an eyebrow, still unsmiling. But you’re slightly worried, because Niel is extremely quiet, to be honest, it’s scaring you.

After an entire week of this behavior, after school, you drag Niel by the arms and take him to the secret place. For a while you both sit there, shoulders touching, staring at the waterfall.
“What’s wrong?” you finally ask.
“The opposite of right.” he replies sarcastically.
You smirk because it was an okay joke. Maybe he’ll become normal again.
“Is there a problem?” you ask in a more serious tone.
“Is it okay if I tell you?” he asks.
“Of course it is.” you reply.

“My cousin’s situation is saddening.” he begins. “My cousin has been telling me many stories of his crush. But his crush recently started dating someone. Someone funnier and more attractive than him.”
“Oh.” you say, unable to say anything else.
“And every time he sees them together, it kills him. The thing is, his crush was so dense she didn’t realize that he had a crush on her for a while.” he continues.
“Why are you sad? It’s not you, so why does your cousin’s problem affect you so badly? Who cares really?” you ask, not meaning to sound mean.
“His crush is really stupid as well.” he adds. “So incredibly stupid.”
Eh... I still don’t get it.