Baekhyun

Their Mascot

Baekhyun

            When I woke again, it felt as if I had slept for ages.  As I gradually gained consciousness I became aware that I was resting on a large number of pillows and that my body still felt numb.  I was however able to open my eyes.

            I was in a light blue colored bedroom, sparsely decorated but well lit.  Somebody was sitting by the bed in a wooden chair.  He looked at me, and noticing I was awake, he smiled at me.  “Hello, I’m Baekhyun.”

            “Nice to meet you,” I croaked, my head was still kinda fuzzy.  How long had I been asleep?

            As if he could read my mind, the young man, Baekhyun responded. “You’ve been sleeping for quite a while, about a week I think.  Lay left me here to keep an eye on you while he, um-“  He paused seeming slightly nervous, but then returned to his easy going and charming smile.  “He is off with the guys.”

            “A week?”  I ask, my voice still wavering weakly.  I try to raise my head which has begun to ache.

            “Just lie back, you’re gonna hurt for a little while.”  He said, encouraging me to relax.  He had a nice face and wore an expression of seriousness that seemed unusual for him, he came across as a mischievous and care-free sort.

            “Where am -? Who – you people? What-?” I had so many questions but my throat was so dry, I dropped my head back down and coughed.

            “It’s okay, just lie still,”  Baekhyun said.  “Uh, Let me see.  What have you missed?  Well.  I found out that you, uh, joined us, from Luhan while we, uh, were drinking away Chen’s money.”  His smile came easily and lit up his face.

            “Most of us were very surprised and Tao said that Kris and Suho were very angry.  And, I should mention that, uh, there are, uh, some, uh, many, uh, only a few really, people who are angry when they heard.  I mean, uh, other than Kris and Suho.  But, don’t worry,” He winked, easing my concern. “Most of us don’t mind too much.  And the angry ones will cool down soon enough.  Kris is still angrily glaring at Chen, and uh, giving him the silent treatment.”  He laughed, easily.

            “Wha-?” I begin to ask, my voice sounding stronger.  He interrupts me though.

            “Don’t worry, you’re allowed to stay until you’re uh, better.” He scratched his head.  “I can’t remember what exactly Suho hyung said.  I think something like, ‘Due to the inconsiderate and rash actions of Chen, the human girl can stay for now.’  Then Kris-shi interrupted, ‘She can’t stay forever, she doesn’t belong.  She can only stay until Lay heals her and until she can leave.’”

            My head hurt.  “How did Lay heal me?”  How could Lay save me if he said I would have died in a hospital?

            “You were injured badly.”  Baekhyun said, seeming to avoid the question.  “Chen apparently carried you all the way here, unconscious.  Lay said your spine was fractured or broken or something and that there was a lot of other serious injuries.  But he was able to fix you up.”  Baekhyun smiled reassuringly, “It took him three days but you’re on the mend!”
            I was overwhelmed.  How could I have survived my injuries?  Who was Lay?  And Chen?  What super-human powers did they possess that they could save me from the brink of death?  And Baekhyun warned me that their friends were angry at me.  That certainly could not be safe.

            “That reminds me, Lay told me to ask you to wiggle all your fingers and toes,” Baekhyun stood and bowed.  “So, miss if you wouldn’t mind, I am going to pull back the blankets and observe your appendages.”

            I couldn’t help but chuckle at his formal act.  He gently held my foot and asked me to flex.  He tested the feeling in my hands and said I passed the ‘mobility assessment.’

            After covering me up and making sure I was comfortable he asked if I needed anything.   I asked for a glass of water and he rushed out of the room, returning in a flash with a glass of water in one hand and a white pill in the other.

            He helped me sit up slowly and propped me up while I sipped the water.  He had to hold the cup for me because I was too weak to do it myself.  “Thank you,”  I said.  “What’s the pill for?  I assume you’re not the one who’s supposed to take it?”
            He smiled at me, his friendly face close enough to mine that I could hear his slight chuckle.  “Lay told me to have you take it.  It will help with the pain and get you to go back to sleep.”

            Sleep more?  Though I was still feeling exhausted I did not want to fall back asleep.  He must have seen the resistance on my face because he laughed and said, “Chen warned us about laying a hand on you but this is doctor’s orders.  I am completely willing to force you into swallowing this thing.”  He held the pill between his index finger and his thumb, examining it.  “Huh, well, what’ll it be?  Do I have to stick this down your throat or are you going to eat it nicely.”
            I tried to smile, “You don’t eat pills.”

            “But you don’t drink them, either.”  He searched my eyes.  “I don’t think you’re gonna like me if I make you, so please just take it.”

            I didn’t want to take it, what would happen while I was out?  He seemed to realize I was still hesitant.  “Look, I’ll stay with you until you wake up again.  Lay said it would only put you to sleep for twelve or so hours when I asked.  I promise.”

            I nodded slowly, opening my mouth.  He gave me a gratified smile and dropped the pill on my tongue.  “Here’s some water,” He lifted the cup to my lips and I swallowed.

            He helped me lie back down.  The lights dimmed and I blinked confused.  “Just lie still, uh, what’s your name?”

            “Susanna.”

            “Well, Susanna.  If you lie still nicely, I’ll sing to you until you fall asleep, okay.”

            “Okay,” I said, settling down.  I could trust this Baekhyun, “Baekhyun-“

            “What is it?”

            “Thank you.”

            “Aw, you’re welcome, Susanna.  I’m glad I got to meet you, you seem swell.  And,” He laughed, “You’ve caused quite the, uh, scandal, so thank you for the entertainment your presence provides.”

            “Well,” I laugh awkwardly, “You’re welcome, I guess.”

            He smiled at me, “Just lie still.”  And with that he began to sing.  His beautiful voice brought on painless, dreamless sleep that I fell into with a smile still on my lips.