Letting Go of the Past

MADE FOR EACH OTHER?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m so sorry it took me a looong time to update. I had brain constipation aka writer’s block mixed in with laziness these past few weeks.

 

Anyway, I am back and giddier than ever.  Did you guys spazzed your hearts out the other day? I did. ^.~

 

On to our story…              

 

 

 

“Sandara Park.” Bom exclaimed excitedly as she swivels Dara’s chair towards the mirror to reveal her makeover.

 

 “You freaking look like a mixture of the modern version of Alicia Silverstone from Clueless and Blair from Gossip Girls. It’s like we’re in high school all over again.” Bom excitedly took a picture of her with her cell phone.

 

“As if.”  Dara and Bom giggled in unison.

 

She studied her reflection in the mirror. She definitely looks like her old teenage self. She’s wearing a pleated and plaid mini skirt, white fitted shirt, a slim fitting bomber jacket and black leather ankle boots. Plaid was the ‘in’ thing during her teenage years. Her long and wavy brown hair complemented by a soft, navy blue headband that she used to wear in high school finished her youthful look.

 

“It’s perfect. Thank you, Bommie.” Dara stood up to give her best friend a hug.

 

“Can you believe it? You look exactly as you did when we were teenagers. It’s like you didn’t age at all! I bet Jiyong’s gonna be floored and hyperventilating when he sees you. I’m already giddy just thinking about it!” Bom happily jumps up and down while hugging herself.

 

“Do you think he’ll like it? It’s my first time to go on a date with my first boyfriend and I feel like I am just going to be a nervous wreck! What if I run out of amusing things to say? What if he doesn’t like what I prepared?” Dara pinched the bridge of her nose as if she’s going to get a headache.

 

“Dara, just stop over thinking things. You’re going to be fine. You’re going to a simple date with your boyfriend.” Bom rubbed Dara’s arms to assure her.

 

Sigh.

 

“Wish me luck, Bommie.”

 

“Just remember what I said earlier, if he mentions stopping by at your house after the date, you must definitely say yes…”

 

“Bommie! Staaahp!” Dara scandalously covers her ears. Bom has been feeding her mind dirty thoughts since this morning and even the slightest mention of the probability of Jiyong staying the night after the date makes her even more nervous.

 

“ Just saying…It could  happen, you know…” Bom winked.

 

“Oh for Christ’s sakes. I am leaving!” Dara grabbed her bag and stomped out of Bommie’s room.

 

 

       …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

“Young Bae, do I look alright? Should I wear the plaid shirt instead?” Jiyong checked himself in front of the mirror for the nth time. He’s been at it for an hour already.

 

Young Bae rolls his eyes at the sight of his best friend.

 

“We’ve never gone to the same high school Jiyong. How would I know what you looked like during those years? You should’ve asked Seung Hyun instead of me.” Young Bae is now growing impatient from watching his friend fidgeting nervously in his walk in closet.

 

Jiyong’s head slumped a little at the mention of Seung Hyun’s name. He misses his childhood friend but he also knows how it’s still painful for Seung Hyun to see him and Dara together.

 

“You know I can’t do that.” Jiyong replied.

 

Young Bae tried to change the topic to release the awkward tension in the air.

 

 “I’m really curious as to why Dara would want you to wear something similar from your high school days. Do you have any idea?”

 

“I don’t know, Young Bae. All I know is that I am going on a date with my girlfriend!” Jiyong scandalously swayed his hips in delight when he finally found the perfect outfit.

 

He’s wearing a black v-neck shirt with a plaid long sleeved shirt wrapped around his waist. He paired it with a pair of black, distressed skinny jeans and his black Air Jordan shoes. He finished it off with his black leather cap that he wore backwards and a pair of sunglasses.

 

“Whoah. 90's Grunge. You look like a teenager, Jiyong. You should dress like that more often. It suits you.” Young Bae stood up and put his hand on Jiyong’s right shoulder.

 

“I am happy for you, my brother. I just wish that I am as brave as you.”

 

“Young Bae…” Jiyong looked at his best friend with concern. He’s been out of it lately and he knows it’s because of Bom.

 

“Enjoy your second chance in love.” Young Bae smiled and coaxed Jiyong out of the house.

 

“KYAAAAHHHH!” Jiyong screamed all the way to his car, his gummy smile showing.

 

 

Dara is miraculously only ten minutes late despite the fact that she’s been getting ready for their date since five in the morning. She nervously got out of her car and scanned the area, looking for Jiyong.

 

Her secretary recommended that they watch a movie at Daehan Cinema, one of the first cinemas in Korea, to break the ice. They don’t have to talk much but they can enjoy being next to each other while watching the movie.

 

At the corner of her eye, she caught an image of a man she once knew during her teenage years, standing at the top of the stairs of the cinema complex.

 

Dara immediately gasped as she realized that the man in 90s grunge outfit is Jiyong. He’s so manly and fresh looking. He slowly walked down the stairs towards her, his gaze never leaving hers. She felt some onlookers watching them as the two couple from the 90's is now a few feet apart.

 

People are glancing their way and giggling at the ‘couple from the past’. Dara suddenly felt protective as some teenage girls are eyeing her boyfriend like a prey. She instinctively wrapped her arm on his arm and gave the girls a menacing look.

 

Jiyong chuckled a little at Dara’s display of affection.

When he saw her got out of her car earlier, he held his breath when he saw the woman that he loved for so long. She still looks the same in her outfit as if she didn’t age at all.

 

They walked hand in hand towards the ticketing booth when Jiyong whispered on her ear.

 

“Dara.”

 

“Hhmm…” she replied.  Oh my God! His face is so close to mine. What is air?! Dara thought.

 

“You’re very pretty today, I’m afraid to leave you alone even just for a second.” Jiyong whispered. Did I just say that cheesy line? What is happening to me?! Jiyong nervously thought.

 

Dara playfully pinched him on his side, earning them giggles from an old couple waiting in line.

 

“Aigoo. These youngsters are sweet. Right, Yeobo?”

 

“Neh. Are you newlyweds?”

 

Dara answered “No” while Jiyong answered “Soon” simultaneously.

 

Whaaat?! Did I hear him right? He said ‘Soon’? Oh my Ghaad! Dara secretly smiled to herself.

 

Jiyong put his arm around her shoulders and smiled at the old couple.

 

“Hahaha! These couple are too cute, Yeobo.”

 

The theater is almost empty since it is still early in the day. They sat in an empty row near the screen. Dara turned to find Jiyong balancing a huge tub of popcorn and a tumbler of soda.

 

Just one soda? What am I going to drink then? Dara saw a smile on Jiyong’s face when he placed the drink in the cup holder after sipping a few drinks of cola.

 

“Oh. So that’s what he was thinking. We’re going to share a drink. Omo! Indirect kiss! Kyaaah!” Dara thanked the high heavens that it’s dark s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter