Chapter 7- Lee Sunny's Mission

The Elusive Assassin

Sunny scratches her head as she reads the schedules and the operation plan for her guard duty. She hated guard duties, but she cannot decline their superiors order or else it will be the end of her stay at the police station. 

She and Hyeohyon were assigned to guard one of the prominent people in Gwanju. The man himself visited the Police Department to request for police assistance because his life has been threatened by unknown people or rather a group. Sunny doubted the businessman’s story and intention. The man can hire elite group of bodyguards to protect himself with his wealth. But he reasoned that he didn’t trust them and thinks them as enemies will plot against him. But Sunny did not buy on it for she knows the businessman’s reputation. Until he shows an envelope bearing a wax seal of a blue raven. The instant she saw it, she recognize it immediately and voluntarily accept the mission.

The wax seal was present while she is investigating the murder cases in Gwanju. It was found at the victim’s premises before and after their death. Now she confirmed that the businessman’s security is at risk.

She sighed. She had no other choice but to accept this mission hoping to have even a tiny trail for her investigation. He browsed the businessman’s profile thoroughly. She recalls the man’s name in the list of cases that she had studied during the first years as a detective.

“Kim Jung Ho…I think I read it somewhere in the archives division of Gyeonggi. I think I read his name somewhere, she thought. I will call Senior Investigator Jung Yunho about this. She reached her phone and dialled the number in Gyeonggi office to talk to the Senior Investigator of the said district.

After the three phone rings, the other line accepts the call.

“Annyeong hasseyo, Gyeonggi Investigation Department, How may I help you?” a female voice answered her call.

“Annyeong haseeyo, this is Detective Lee Sunkyu. Can you please direct my call to Senior Investigator Jung Yunho?

“Please wait for a while” the female said and reached for her superior. After 3 minutes, the call was transferred to her superior. “Annyeong hasseyo, this is Senior Investigator Jung Yunho. How may I help you, Detective Lee Sunkyu?”

“Annyeong haseyo, I need your help Sunbae. Can you remember the name Kim Jung Ho? The accused suspect of the murder of a certain Lee couple in your district?” she asked.

Jung Yunho paused for a while. ”Yes I remember that. That was 10 years ago. I was still a Junior Inspector when the murder occurred. Currently unclose. Why would you like to investigate it also?” He said.

“Still unclose?  Why?” Sunny inquired to her Sunbae.

“Establishing hard evidence against Kim Jung Ho is hard. Even he was pointed out by the victim’s son we still had a hard time proving him. He is well known businessman in the district on that time.” He paused. “And the place where the murder occurred was burned beyond recognition together with the victim’s bodies so we haven't gathered enought evidence supporting the elder's son statements.He is still underage on that time.” He added.

“Interesting.” She said.” Are the sons still at the district?”

“No, they are not living here.” He replied. “After the series of investigation, the child psychiatrist recommends the younger one to be rehabilitated since he suffered a lot, witnessing the murder first hand and the case is still on going. Their relatives left us the contact details but they did not inform us that they moved out after a year. So we have no other contacts about them.”

“I see.” she said while writing the info that she get on their conversation. “I’ll just drop by to your office tomorrow so that I can read the case myself. Thank you very much for the info, Sunbae. Bye for now.” Sunny ended a call and ready herself for her journey to Gyeonggi.

Honestly, I do not trust this man. His request is kinda fishy. I wonder why. I will investigate more on this person. She said to herself and packed her things for her journey tomorrow.