Chapter 4 – Breakfast in Bed

The Elusive Assassin

Whispering voices wake Sunny’s consciousness. She slowly opens her eyes and adjusted on the light passing through her eyes. Once she was adjusted to it, she saw the back of a man sitting on her left bedside talking softly with a younger man on his front of him while holding a basin. The younger man noticed Sunny was fully awake and flashed a sweet smile.

“You’re awake” the younger man said that makes the other man placed the basin on the bedside table and turn around to look at her with a concerned look. The younger man went outside of the room.

“Finally”, the man said. “How are you?” he asked softly.

 Slowly, Sunny pushes herself up but she felt sudden pain in her head so she was slumped her body back to the bed. As she lied down, she scans the well lit room and herself. This was not her clothes last night. She looked at Sungmin with panicked eyes.

Sungmin was amused to see Sunny’s reaction; from dreamy to curiosity to panic. Before Sunny could utter a word of panic, He spoke.

“We decided to carry you in our apartment last night because you fainted and your friends left you. Don’t worry we seek for our female friend to change your clothes and adjust you for you to sleep soundly.” True to that, Ryeowook called their landlady to help them undress Sunny because they notice that Sunny is uncomfortable and sweaty while on their way.

Sunny sighed in relief. As she was rest assured that nothing bad happened to her, he looked at Sungmin’s face and remembered something; he’s the guy in the bar who last joined them in the dance floor last night. The cute one .But she realized that this guy is extremely handsome when seeing up close.

Before she can say ‘thank you’, the younger man went inside the room carrying a tray laden with her breakfast. He smiled at Sunny which she returned also with a smile. Why am I staying in this room full of cute and handsome guys? She giggled at her thought. She felt peace with them.

“Can you sit?” Ryeowook asked.

“I think I can now.” She replied. She tried to pushes herself to sit. Sungmin helped her to sit up.

“Take your time to recover.” He pats her shoulder. “It’s ok if you can’t stand, you can eat your breakfast here.” Sungmin said. He indicates the food tray in front of her. “We will leave you in a moment” he added. The two guys prepare to leave when Sunny spoke.

“Ahm….wait.” the two stopped and looked at her, “can you accompany me here?” She looked at them. They look at each other and Sungmin nodded. “Sure, we will bring our breakfast first” Ryeowook said.

While waiting for them to enter the room, she fixed her hair and cleaned her face with a clean towel she got from her side. She already finished when the two enters the room with their breakfast.

“My name is Sungmin” said the handsome guy. He sat on her left side, while Ryeowook is on the other side. “You’re name is Sunny right? If you’re wondering why I knew your name, I got your ID in your pouch to while looking your contact info and refer it to the information desk in the pub.” He added as she saw Sunny’s left  eyebrow arched in amazement.

Sunny faced relaxed and smiled. “I’m Lee Sunny and I live alone in an apartment near the Gwanju Police Station” she added.

“So that explains no one answer the other line when we tried to call your apartment’s number last night.” The younger man chipped in. “We also tried to call your friend’s numbers but they’re not answering our calls until my handyphone died out.” He pouts in frustration. He changed his face quickly, “By the way, I’m Ryeowook, and I’m Sungmin hyung’s favourite magnae! And I’m proud of it!”

Sunny laugh softly as she saw Sungmin punched his magnae’s shoulder. “Is he your brother?” she asked.

“Nope, he’s only my roommate. We just met in the flower shop where we are currently working.” He said. “So, do you work here?” he curiously asked.

She nodded. “I’m a detective from Seoul.” She earned a whooping sound from the two guys. “I was assigned here in Gwanju to do my duty.” She simply added. They nodded in unison.

They finished their breakfast in such a good mood. After their breakfast the two guys collected their empty utensils and went outside the room to give Sunny privacy. Minutes went by and Sunny went outside the room fully dressed and thanked the two guys in taking good care of her and bids farewell.

While the two guys waved their hands on Sunny’s retreating figure, Ryeowook looked sideways on his hyung. He feels odd since last night when they took her in their apartment. Sungmin didn’t want any visitors on their apartment. Only their landlady and so called ‘messenger’ were their regular visitors due to the sensitivity of their activities.

“Hyung, am I not mistaken? Did she get your attention? Do you happen to know her?” Ryeowook asked Sungmin. He has a foreboding feeling on his hyung’s answer.

Sungmin chooses not to answer his magnae’s question until he gives up on his dongsaeng’s pitiful look. He sighed. “I met her indirectly. Remember Kangin Sunbae requested me to shake off a detective before his disguise uncovered? I made a diversion on her to give Sunbae chance to run away from her chase. I killed her assistant.” He said calmly. “And two years ago before you join our organization, my other partner Heechul Sunbae got killed because he fell on her trap. She nearly uncovered our organization because of Heechul’s stupidity and ego. But what I don’t get is that she never knew my existence and she rarely detect the evidences to the murders that I made.”

“This is the first time that I met her up close. I never knew her side this morning. Well in that case if we will face each other again and interfere in our mission, I knew her weakness and I will use it against her.” He continued. He smiled in a devilish way which makes Ryeowook cringe.

“She’s the well-known detective from Seoul, and I think I had an idea why she was assigned here in Gwanju.” Ryeowook listens carefully to his Sunbae. Sungmin chuckles, “Better be careful on our next actions Ryeowook-shi, because her determination and wits matched up with ours. Keep your guard always.” He added as he went inside leaving his hoobae.

Ryeowook nodded and went back to the apartment after his Sunbae.