6

Holding Out For A Hero

 

"This doesn't make sense." Minjae muttered, fitting her bulletproof vest to her torso. "Jiyong was the first person my brother went to when our father died."
 
"Things happen and they almost never make sense." Jimin helped her pull her jacket over her shoulders. "Jungkook said that he talked to Daniel and that he'd meet us at the Manor."
 
Minjae nodded, shrugging her shoulders so that everything sat comfortably on her skin. Suga had his eyes fixed on the road.
 
Bangtan happened to own an incredibly creepy yet surprisingly convenient all black van with monitoring  software for mobile operations.
 
"Are you guys a gang or government officers?" Minjae chuckled, fiddling with buttons on the ceiling.
 
"Are you not this advanced?" Suga asked snidely.
 
"Nah, we have a Range Rover." She sighed and leaned back. When the Manor came into view, she had mixed feelings.
 
What had they done?
What did they find?
 
"I want to go inside." She said evenly.
 
"No way." Suga turned around as soon as he parked. "We don't know what's going on in there."
 
"Nothing." Jimin scratched his head and directed a radar system with a joystick. "Heat signatures show no sign of life after last night."
 
"I'll be fine." Minjae slowly eased herself out of the van while Suga glared silently. "I'll be right back."
 
"Where are you going?"
 
"Daniel!" Minjae shrieked. Suga and Jimin's faces appeared in the windows. "Where are the others?"
 
"We had to split up. They're on their way." His eyes flitted to the others in the van and they disappeared. "You're not going in there alone are you?"
 
Minjae looked over at her home. "I have something to do." She started toward the front walkway and he grabbed her arm. "You can wait in the car like a good boy."
 
She watched as he hung his head and got into the van before she slipped inside.
 
Silently, she closed the door behind her and padded over the ornate carpets through the foyer and up the winding staircase. She wasted no time getting to Minsoo's study.
 
Everything seemed virtually untouched. There was an empty glass left on the corner of his desk like he was going to come back for it. Minjae reached inside her shirt and pulled out a key on a thin chain. She knelt down and inserted it in a the hole in one of the desk drawers when she heard footsteps.
 
She scoffed and stood up. "I thought I told you to stay in the car."
 
A figure dressed head to toe in black leaned in the doorway. "You didn't tell me anything."
 
Minjae jerked open the top desk drawer and pulled her brother's ivory revolver out, cocking it and aiming it at the intruder's head. "Who are you?"
 
"Don't bother." He raised his fist and dropped six bullets onto the floor, each tinkling as they hit the glossy hardwood. "I figured you'd come back here."
 
He pulled off his black mask and shoved it in his back pocket. He grinned and his eyes crinkled at the sight of the key in Minjae's hand. "Of course he'd hide it on the princess. How could a simple drawer be so impossible to get into?"
 
"Your mind must be simpler than the drawer." The girl crossed her arms over her chest and sized the man up. He wasn't very tall but made up for his height in muscle mass. He was good-looking, much like the rest of Big Bang. Aesthetically pleasing enough to worm their way into people's inner circle.
 
Why does everyone trust pretty people so easily?
 
"I can wait here all day." He rolled his eyes and removed his black jacket, revealing the black tank that clung to his toned body. "I just want what's in the drawer."
 
"How does it feel to want?" Minjae smirked.
 
"Your brother went quietly." He shook his head and stepped toward her, securing his hand around her neck and raising her above his head. "Why can't you cooperate?"
 
Her feet swayed and knocked over a cut crystal bottle of scotch, sending it shattering in a thousand pieces all over the carpet. She gripped his hand, trying to pry it off .
 
"Had enough yet?" He chortled. She spat in his face and kicked him in the diaphragm. He dropped her, the wind knocked out of him.
 
While he was trying to regain his breath, she whipped a lighter out of her pocket, flicking it open and dropping it in the liquor. It quickly wicked through the liquid and jumped to the carpet. She smirked at the crystal shards twinkling in the firelight before dashing out of the study.
 
Coughing, the intruder reached out and grabbed her ankle, bringing her to her knees at the top of stairs. His sleeve was pulled up to show a black sun tattooed on the inside of his forearm. Minjae kicked him away and rolled down the first flight of steps. She jumped to her feet and ran down the rest of the staircase, sliding on the carpet in the foyer and throwing the front door open.
 
She stumbled out in a coughing fit. The police had been called and were rushing toward her.
 
"Miss, are you alright?"
 
"Yeah, I'm fine." She wavered before collapsing on the porch.
 
When she came to, Minjae was propped up in the back of an ambulance with a blanket draped around her shoulders. When she tried to shrug it off and stand, emergency personnel told her that she was in shock and to take it easy.
 
"I knew she shouldn't have gone in alone." Suga grumbled, weaving through the crowd with Jimin following close behind.
 
Niel rolled his eyes. "Try telling her that."
 
"You can't come any further." A police officer halted them from behind a strand of yellow tape. "This is a crime scene."
 
"We know her." Daniel pleaded. "We need to get to her."
 
"Are you her boyfriend or something?" The officer asked.
 
"Yes, that's me. Her boyfriend." Suga answered fastest, receiving glares from the other two as he ducked under the police tape.
 
"Are you ing insane?" Suga trotted up to Minjae and grabbed her face, checking for any visible signs of injury. She wiggled out of his grasp.
 
"Don't yell at me. I'm in shock, don't you see this ridiculous blanket?" She fluttered her arms under the orange fleece.
 
"Look at the happy couple." Jimin spat. Minjae raised an eyebrow.
 
"Forget about it." Suga hushed them as an officer approached.
 
"I'm sorry to disturb you but I have to ask you a few questions."
 
Minjae nodded and put on her best expression of distress.
 
"This is your house, correct?" The officer flipped open a notepad and ticked off a few listed items.
 
"It was." She sighed and watched local firemen battle the blaze where her home once stood.
 
He nodded and "It is listed to belong to the Bang family and was left to you and your brother when your parents died. Where is your brother?"
 
"Away on business." Minjae lied fluently. She saw Daniel nod out of the corner of her eye. "In the States."
 
"That explains the dead end when we tried to contact him." The officer closed his book. "Did anything suspicious happen while you were inside?"
 
She put her head down like she was thinking. "Nothing. I was just waiting around and then I smelled smoke."
 
The officer nodded at the boys around her. "That will be all."
 
"Where did we go wrong?" Jimin hissed as the man retreated. "There was no sign of Big Bang anywhere."
 
"He was in the basement." Minjae watched a dark form disappear into the crowd but not before shooting her a menacing glare. "Readings wouldn't have showed anyone down there."
 
"Did you destroy it?" Daniel asked lowly.
 
Suga slapped him in the arm. "That's what you're concerned about? She almost got herself killed!"
 
"It's gone." Minjae nodded, ignoring the outburst. Jimin helped her stand. "Can we just go back?"
 
Suga and Daniel looked at each other before nodding and leading her away from the burning Manor.
 

Anyone want to guess who the intruder was? I gave a lot of hints xD

It usually takes me a while to write these chapters. Probably a few days to a week because I keep picking them up and putting them down. I was actually stuck halfway through chapter five and got inspiration for the second half of this chapter instead OTL too bad it took me an extra day to write everything in between