4

Holding Out For A Hero

 

 
"The first step in shooting is making sure you hold the gun the right way." Hoseok said, pacing in front of Minjae. Jin and Taehyung stood off to the side, unsure of the girl's shooting skills.
 
He pressed a pistol into her palm and instructed her to wait. He stood a few paces away with his hand wrapped around the gun's grip. He cupped the bottom of the gun with the other hand.
 
"You can try holding it like this. It takes very strong arm muscles to hold it with just one hand." He aimed the gun and pulled the trigger.
 
Minjae smirked, extending her right arm and blowing a hold between the eyes of the paper target fifty feet away.
 
"Wow." Taehyung said slowly.
 
"Call it." She rolled her shoulders.
 
"Throat." Jin intoned and the bullet flew. He blinked in surprise. "Heart."
 
"Bellybutton!" Hoseok said brightly.
 
Bang. Bang.
 
"Balls." Taehyung snorted.
 
The final shot landed in the crotch of the paper target. All three boys gulped and looked at each other.
 
Jungkook chattered along with Namjoon on their way out to the range with the others.
 
"Check this out." Jin nodded toward Minjae's paper victim.
 
Namjoon inspected it approvingly. "Ever shot a moving target?"
 
"Of course." She snorted.
 
He chuckled lowly and ripped the hat off Jungkook's head, throwing it up in the air. Minjae grinned and aimed, ripping a hole through the top of the hat before it fell to the ground.
 
Jungkook's hands flew to his head, ruffling his hair. "My hat!"

 

"Are you ready to go?"
 
"We are not leaving you." Daniel's eyes fixed on his boss's. "This is ridiculous."
 
"It's ridiculous if you all stay." Minsoo said flatly.
 
"You expect us all to stand by and just watch this?" He started seething.
 
"Of course not." Minsoo smiled wryly. "You'll all go out and lay low for a bit."
 
"Where would we even go?" Daniel sighed, sliding his hands in his pockets. His thumb glided along the folded edge of a small piece of paper.
 
"Anywhere you won't attract attention." Minsoo did a quick scan of the room's perimeter, drawing the curtains along the way. "If you don't hear from me in twelve hours, contact Bangtan."
 
Daniel nodded, turning his back to carry out his orders. Minsoo looked down at his wristwatch.
 
"Starting now."

 

Minjae sighed in the salty air as she stepped onto the balcony. Minsoo had never grounded her to a seaside condo before.
 
"Nice shooting today."
 
She whipped her head around and found Suga leaning on his balcony similar to hers. She'd forgotten their rooms were next to each other.
 
"Thanks." She muttered, confused by his sudden change in attitude. Hadn't he been a jerk just a little while ago?
 
"I think you scared Hoseok a bit." He chuckled. "Your brother taught you well."
 
"I was the only girl." Minjae shrugged. "I still am and I have to protect myself."
 
Suga stepped up on the ledge of his own balcony and leaped onto hers, dropping down beside her. "We'll protect you."
 
"You don't have to. I can take care of myself." She propped herself up on her elbows and Suga leaned back against the wall silently.
 
Minjae's eyes flicked to a dark figure skirting the shore below. "Is this a public beach?"
 
"Nope it's out own private oasis." Suga grinned inwardly.
 
"Then why is someone walking around down there?"
 
He shoved her back and looked down at the beach. "."
 
He pulled a gun from his pocket fluidly and a single pop rang out before the stranger dropped into the surf.
 
"Get inside." Without giving her a chance, he pushed her through the doorway and made for the fourth floor staircase.
 
"Who was that?" Minjae was at his heels and he didn't bother to stop her.
 
Suga slammed open the door to what looked like a small mission control center and boomed. "Why didn't anyone tell me that the electric fence on the west end was out?"
 
Taheyung blinked and clacked away at his computer. "The electric fence on the west end is out."
 
Jin slapped the back of his head. "How did you not notice?"
 
"There is a whole system I have to look after." He rubbed the sore spot. "It's difficult."
 
Suga opened his mouth to scold him but Minjae interrupted. "Don't worry about it. Anyone care to tell me who he was?"
 
"Grunt worker for one of the largest gangs in the country." Jimin blew through the door and slapped a plastic bag on the desk. It held a soggy black bandana, a wallet, a gun,  a cell phone, and a small notebook.
 
Minjae swiped the book from the bag and carefully pulled the sodden pages apart. Most of the ink had run but she could make out a few names.
 
One of them being her own.
 
"What does he want with me?"
 
Her question went unanswered when Suga snatched the book back and shoved it in the bag.
 
Namjoon burst into the room followed closely by Hoseok and Jungkook. He pulled his phone away from his ear. "We've got a problem."