2

Holding Out For A Hero

 

"Who do you think you are saying those things?" Minjae shrieked, stumbling through the threshold of the house. Hoseok caught her immediately.
 
"Thanks." She grumbled and looked around the room. "Wait how many of you are there?"
 
"Seven in total." Namjoon entered behind her and bolted the door.
 
Bolted.
 
Minjae swallowed.
 
Namjoon stood in the center of the room. "I don't know what your brother has told you but-"
 
"Wait THAT'S Minsoo hyung's sister?"
 
"Hey twerp." Minjae removed her sunglasses. "What's that supposed to mean?"
 
"Nothing." He blinked innocently. "I just wasn't expecting you to be so-"
 
"That's Jungkook. He's our youngest." Namjoon butted in. "He's got sticky fingers."
 
Jungkook smirked and wiggled his fingers. Minjae patted her pockets to make sure her phone and wallet were still present.
 
"Jimin is a martial artist."
 
The one that took her bag waved. "I put your belongings in the spare room. I'll show you when you're ready."
 
Minjae nodded as another boy came up alongside Jimin.
 
"I'm Taehyung and I'm the brains of the operation."
 
Jimin scoffed.
 
"But really," Namjoon said flatly. "He's a genius."
 
"I'm just really good at the internet." Taehyung said lightly, waving the group away.
 
Hoseok came in from across the room with a bottle of water, handing it to Minjae.
 
"I thought you were behind me." She said incredulously. "Now I know what you're good at."
 
Hoseok grinned at her and disappeared again.
 
"Jin hyung is in the top of his field." Namjoon said, referring to an older one sprawled out asleep on the couch.
 
"What's his field?" Minjae asked.
 
"You don't need to know about that." He scratched the back of his neck. "And I'm in charge. That's about it."
 
Minjae looked around again. "No that was only six. What about the one with a death wish?"
 
"Suga?" Namjoon adjusted his dark shades. "I wouldn't call it a death wish and he's second in command."
 
"What kind of name is Suga?" Minjae asked in distaste, being lead away by Jimin.
 
"It's more threatening than his real name, I promise." Jimin chuckled as he took the stairs two at a time, bypassing the second floor.
 
Once they reached the third floor, they walked down the corridor until Jimin halted suddenly. He pushed open a door to reveal a plush suite.
 
"Not what I was expecting when I heard 'spare room'." Minjae sized the room up.
 
She found her bag sitting on the cream colored canopy bed in the center of the far wall. Bedside tables sat like wings next to it with Tiffany lamps sitting on each of them. A balcony opened up to a view of the beach that Minjae hadn't realized was there and she nodded approvingly.
 
Jimin crossed his arms. "How is everything?"
 
"It'll be better as soon as I get this off." Minjae huffed, peeling off her leather jacket, followed by her hoodie. They fell onto the floor and Jimin went to pick them up as she pulled apart the snaps on her bulletproof vest, dropping it on her bed.
 
"Christ, you've been wearing this the entire time?" He weighed it in one hand, staring at her tiny waist. "How? It must be like twenty-five pounds."
 
"We take special precautions." She grabbed it from him, crossing over to her closet only to find out it was a large walk-in. She placed the vest on one of the shelves. "It might not be that bad around here."
 
She slipped her hoodie back on and zipped it up halfway. "Should we get back downstairs?"
 
Jimin nodded, still holding his hand out as if he was holding the vest. Minjae gave him a push and he headed for the door, closing it behind her. She scurried for the staircase and bumped into Suga.
 
"Watch where you're going." He spat, continuing up to the fourth floor.
 
"Jiminnie, what's upstairs?" She placed her hand on the banister and craned her neck to see.
 
"Just stuff." He nudged her. She sighed and step down the flights of stairs, following voices to the kitchen.
 
Namjoon, Hoseok, and Jungkook stood around an island counter.
 
"Everything's alright?" Namjoon asked, still wearing his shades even though they were inside.
 
"Yeah I can't believe my brother sent me here to keep me out of trouble." She shook her head. "He's sent me to India before. Like Slumdog Millionaire? You have no idea."
 
Namjoon chuckled.
 
"What did you do anyway?" Jungkook piped up.
 
"Jungkook!" Hoseok scoffed. "That's rude."
 
"No it's okay." Minjae waved them off. "Someone I didn't like was getting too friendly with one of my boys so I took care of her."
 
"You didn't kill her, did you?"
 
"Jungkook!" Hoseok pointed toward the doorway, ordering him to leave the room. Jungkook dragged himself away.
 
"Well did you?" Jimin asked. Hoseok sighed.
 
"I'm starting to get the feeling that it wasn't the most acceptable thing to do.." Minjae trailed off.
 
"Incredible." Namjoon laughed.
 
"It's getting late and we'll be having dinner soon." Hoseok changed the subject.
 
"Thanks but I'm not very hungry so I'll probably just go to bed." She bowed her head, backing away.
 
"Sleep well!" He called after her but she was already at the stairs.
 
Minjae got prepared for bed, washing her face and changing into her pajamas. She sat on the edge of her bed and pulled a package of cookies out of her bag. When her watch said exactly 8:30, she took one out and ate it, hiding the rest of the package in a drawer in the closest bedside table. She sighed, heading for the balcony for one last glance of the water before she slept.
 
 
 
 
 
There was a knock at the door to Bang Minsoo's study.
 
"Come in." Minsoo brushed the chocolate crumbs off his hands.
 
Daniel pushed open the french doors and stood with his hands behind his back. "Bangtan called. They said that Minjae's settled in."
 
"Good." The single syllable resonated.
 
"You did the right thing, hyung." Daniel tried reassuring him. "If anything happens, she can't be around to see it."
 
Minsoo folded his hands and leaned on them, sighing. "I know."