Realization

Onward

 

Minho and Taemin started talking less and less as the days went by, and it wasn’t that difficult to notice. Kibum had chided Minho for doing so, and Jongin was worried Taemin was hurting himself by doing this, but neither of them were willing to back down. They were both too stubborn and oblivious to see the other’s feelings. Despite how much more Minho wanted to learn, he couldn’t bring himself to ask Taemin. Not until he sorted out his feelings once and for all.

 

But Taemin was distressed. He knew he wasn’t talking to Minho as much as usual, but he could also tell Minho was avoiding him, and he didn’t know what he had done for the older teen to want to be so away from him. Taemin had already come to terms with his feelings, and had decided that even if he couldn’t be with Minho the way he wanted to, he’d still be there for him. Minho was making that increasingly difficult to do so. He couldn’t get close to Minho without the other making some excuse to get away from him.

 

It hurt, so much, and Jongin was running out of ways to comfort his cousin. He wanted to smack Minho as hard as he could without killing him to knock some sense into him, because he hated to see Taemin this way. Taesun had noticed the changes in Taemin as well, and he didn’t like it, not a bit. What kind of older brother would he be if he didn’t notice his usually happy brother’s downcast expressions, and the looks he sent towards Minho. It didn’t take much to realize that Minho was the cause, one way or another, of Taemin’s current mood.

 

But Jongin warned him not to intervene. He said the most they needed was a little push in the right direction, not beating the crap out of Minho for upsetting his little brother.

 

Minho didn’t mean it. He didn’t want to make Taemin feel bad, and he noticed the younger boy’s frustration, but he couldn’t face Taemin when his thoughts were all jumbled up. He had decided not to think about the future; that if he and Taemin did end up together, that he wouldn’t think about how he would grow old and Taemin would stay young.

 

He would only think about the present. If he wanted to be with Taemin now, that was okay, and he could deal with the consequences later on. He’d decided that if he had to, he would risk everything. For now though, everything would be kept a secret. No one would know about their relationship–if they had one–except for close friends and the few family that they trusted. Nothing more.

 

He didn’t want to think about what would happen if his parents or Taemin’s found out. He didn’t want to know how Taesun would react, who would doubt be angry, though to what extent he was not sure. Maybe the people in school were more accepting than he gave them credit for.

 

He still couldn’t say that he loved Taemin, or if he would give up everything for him. He didn’t know that much yet. What he did know was that he liked Taemin, felt comfortable around him, drawn to him in some unexplainable way. He felt like he needed Taemin.

 

Honestly, it was hurting him as well being so distant from Taemin. Key had been right when he said that he’d only be hurting them both if he didn’t find out soon. It was hurting more than he cared to admit.

 

But now that he had at least a bit of his answers, he was afraid to confront Taemin. He didn’t want to do something stupid in front of the boy or risk making things between them worse. What if Taemin was mad at him and refused to talk to him now?

 

Maybe he should wait a bit longer before telling Taemin? It didn’t sound like a good idea though. Seeing the boy so upset was really eating him alive. It was as if someone had just decided to cook him up, season him with guilt and indecisiveness, and throw him in a boiling stew of shame for dinner. Not the most appetizing meal out there.

 

He guessed the sooner he confronted Taemin, the better, for both of them. Once he got these feelings off his chest maybe he’d be able to sleep properly for once since this whole mess started. He blamed himself for all of it too. For being nosy, for not being able to accept his feelings at first, for not being able to act on his feeling now. He was just screwing everything up, and he just couldn’t seem to find the off button.

 

Maybe soon would be best to tell Taemin. Get everything over with. If he was rejected, then that was fine but he’d have to risk it, right? He had to take risks for the people he cared for, and he definitely cares for Taemin, more than he should.

 

He didn’t have to be a Romeo to know that be with Taemin. He and Taemin would write their own story, one that actually made sense. An actual love story about love and not superficial feelings. Something deeper than Romeo and Juliet could ever have.

 

Taemin was no Juliet. He was indeed beautiful, but Taemin was no where near being anything alike to a thirteen-year-old girl claiming to love a man she’d seen and talked to once. Nor was their much conversation either.

 

Minho was no Romeo. He was handsome, but he was not some man in his late teens, early twenties who saw a new pretty girl and immediately got over the one he so claimed to be madly in love with. Much less was he a e going after young thirteen-year-old little girls, but he wouldn’t get into that.

 

The point was they had no need to base their lives off of some play. They didn’t have to end miserably like they did. They could write their own end, a happy one for themselves.

 

“You’re a real idiot you know?”

 

Minho jumped, not expecting someone to sneak up behind him. He turned around, eyes wide and clutching his shirt above his heart to try and calm it down. Behind him was Jongin, glaring at him, though not as menacing as it used to be. His eyes were filled with multiple emotions, but hate was not one of them.

 

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

 

“Taemin,” Jongin replied. “When are you going to realize that avoid him isn’t the answer?”

 

“I know that. I just... I needed some time to organize my thoughts.”

 

“And have you? Have you finished?”

 

“Yeah... I have,” he said. Jongin was quiet for a moment, and Minho guessed he was just coming up with some new questions. He knew Jongin was mad at him, for upsetting his cousin so much, but it wasn’t as if he had done it on purpose either. “Does Taemin hate me?”

 

“Sometimes I wish he did, so that he wouldn’t feel the way he does now. Do you have any idea how hurt he is? And I’ve been trying to comfort him but none of its working because every time I try he just wants you. Just you,” Jongin said. Minho sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Sometimes he wished Taemin would hate him too, it would probably make everything so much easier, but that just didn’t seem possible. Taemin didn’t seem like the type of person that could hate anymore. Be mad, yes, but not hate.

 

“Are you mad? That I like him?”

 

“I don’t think it’s safe, for either of you, but you make Taemin happy, happier than I’ve ever seen him. If you two do decide to go anywhere with your relationship, I’ll support it. I won’t like it, but I’ll support it, for Taemin.”

 

“Does he... Does he like me?” he asked. Jongin turned around, about to walk away before stopping in his tracks and looking at him from over his shoulder.

 

“Ask him yourself, and do it soon, because I swear, if I see Taemin upset for one more day I won’t mind making you my new punching bag.”

 

Jongin left and Minho gulped. He knew by now not to take Jongin’s threats lightly. The only thing stopping him from actually acting on those threats was Taemin, but Taemin’s protection wasn’t going to last forever. It was only a matter of time before Jongin snapped.

 

Minho felt afraid. He was afraid to ask Taemin. He didn’t want things to be awkward between them anymore. He didn’t want to avoid Taemin anymore. He wanted his friend back, as more than a friend this time. He hoped Taemin would accept it.

 

There was a large possibility that Taemin felt the same way. Jongin said it himself, Taemin only wanted to be comforted by him. Taemin was upset they weren’t talking. He looked upset when Minho had said they were nothing but friends. He looked happy when they almost kissed.

 

He ran, hoping he’d be able to find the boy now. It was lunchtime, so Taemin would probably be sitting at their usual table with Kibum, Jonghyun, and Kibum. He ran from his spot, running down hallways and narrowly turning to find his way to the cafeteria. It was noisy, even from the hallway. Luckily, their usual table wasn’t too far from the door, so he didn’t have to go too far.

 

He walked up to the table, trying to calm his breath. He watched as Taemin drank his strawberry milk and ate his chips quietly. He needed to fix this, now. He couldn’t let things continue like this. He hated seeing Taemin so sad. It made his heart hurt.

 

When he reached the table, everyone–except Taemin, which really hurt him–looked at him. Kibum gave him a knowing look and nodded. He nodded back and tapped Taemin’s shoulder. The boy hesitantly looked up at him, and Minho could feel Taemin’s sadness radiating from him just by looking at his eyes. He immediately regretted his decision to avoid Taemin. He hadn’t thought it would cause this much damage.

 

“Can I talk to you privately?” he asked. Taemin looked down for a bit before nodding, getting up and throwing out his trash. Minho grabbed his hand and rushed out of the cafeteria. He saw the blush on Taemin’s cheeks when he held his hand, and he liked it, loved it. He wanted to see it more often, be the reason it’s there. He already felt addicted to it.

 

He tooked Taemin to where he was before, a more secluded courtyard in the school, where no one would hear them. He didn’t let go of Taemin’s hand. If anything, he held it tighter in his own. He turned around to face Taemin. Taemin was looking at the ground, away from him. He didn’t know where to start, whether he should apologize first, or just outright say how he feels.

 

“I’m sorry.” The apology came first. “I didn’t mean to avoid you like that. I was stupid, scared, I was freaking out. I didn’t know what to do, and until I found out, I didn’t know if I could be around you.”

 

“I-It’s... It’s okay,” Taemin said.

 

“No, it’s not okay,” he replied. “It hurt being away from you, and I hated seeing you so upset because of me.” He reached out to hold Taemin’s chin, gently moving Taemin’s head to look at him as he moved closer. “I was just so confused. I talked to Kibum, and I ended up with a little knowledge, but still confused. But I know now. I know what I need to know.”

 

“W-What are you talking about?”

 

“When you met my parents, we told them we were just friends, that we would never be anything more than that. The words felt like acid on my tongue. They felt so wrong. Lying like that felt so wrong.”

 

Taemin stood frozen, trying to catch exactly what Minho was trying to tell him. It all felt like a dream. He didn’t want it to end. He wanted the dream to continue on forever. The look in Minho’s eyes was serious, he knew Minho wasn’t lying to him. Minho wouldn’t lie to him like this.

 

“Y-Your parents... They didn’t like me very much.”

 

“I don’t care what they think. I couldn’t care less. But I do care about you. I care about you so much Taemin. I really do.”

 

“M-Minho... Please don’t- Don’t play around like this,” Taemin said. This made everything so much harder. He wanted Minho to feel the same way about him, he did, but it would be so much harder to hide. He was afraid of changing Minho if he had to. He was afraid of ruining Minho’s life more than he already had just by allowing him to find out his secret.

 

“I’m not joking Taemin. I like you, a lot. I... I know this is risky. I know we’re only putting ourselves in more trouble, but I couldn’t keep acting like I didn’t feel anything for you at all. I don’t regret meeting you. I don’t regretting finding out your secret. I don’t regret my mom almost seeing us kiss. I definitely don’t regret my feelings for you.”

 

Taemin didn’t know what compelled him to do it. He didn’t know what forced moved him, didn’t know why he did it. But he did. He kissed Minho, and he loved every moment of it. Minho was surprised, but as soon as he realized what was happening, he responded quickly, wrapping an arm around Taemin’s waist, pulling the boy closer to him. He had just found his personal drug, one he would never let go of. He decided at that moment that he’d be needing at least one kiss a day, or he’d go crazy.

 

It was short, sweet, and when they separated, they were already craving more. Minho placed his forehead against Taemin’s. They were so different. Taemin was cold, he had no pulse, no heartbeat. Minho was warm, he had warm blood flowing inside of him, his heart had a regular beat. But opposites attract right? They complimented each other so well. It was like Taemin was his other half, as cliché as that sounded.

 

“I like you too, so much,” Taemin whispered. The smile on his face, along with the dark blush on his cheeks made his heart race, and he knew Taemin could feel it, because Taemin chuckled and pressed closer to him. “I wish my heart could beat, so you’d feel just how much it would with you only being near me.”

 

Minho chuckled. He loved it here, being in each other’s embrace like this. They would definitely have to do this often.

 


 

“So, any idea what’s going on with those two?” Onew asked.

 

“How many times have you hit your head while you tripped? Or was your brain replaced by chicken?” Key asked.

 

“Hey! I have a perfectly functioning brain. I’ll have you know, I’m second in my grade.”

 

“You’d be first if you weren’t so clumsy.”

 

“Okay guys, settle down. Key, can you please explain to us what’s going on?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Minho’s an idiot,” Key replied.

 

“Thank you for stating the obvious.”

 

“You’re welcome. But okay, I’ll tell you. He’d been avoiding Taemin because he likes Taemin and he was afraid.”

 

“Minho’s gay?” Onew asked. “Since when?”

 

“Now I guess. I don’t know, maybe he always was and we just never noticed. Anyway, I think he actually loves Taemin, but he won’t admit it. He said he was scared, because his parents caught them almost kissing, and his dad got pissed. Also, Taemin’s parents are apparently extremely homophobic, so he didn’t want to put them both in trouble,” Key explained.

 

“Geez, talk about a rough relationship. You think they’ll manage?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“I hope so. They’ll just have to keep it a secret, and we will help them. I’m sure Luna and Jongin know about Taemin’s feelings too, so they’ll support them too.”

 

“Wait, Taemin likes Minho too?” Onew asked.

 

“You’re really a . But anyway, speaking of Luna,” Key said suggestively.

 

“Don’t go there,” Onew said.

 

“How can I not? You like her don’t you? I’m even willing to help you guys get together. It shouldn’t be that much of a problem,” Key said. “Jonghyun will help too, won’t you baby?”

 

“Sure. It’ll be fun.”

 

“I think the real problem here is, am I the only straight one here now? I thought I had Taemin and Minho on my side, but they’ve decided to go to your team. I’ve been abandoned! I’m now a solo act,” Onew said.

 

“Oh quit your whining and making this about other people. We’re talking about you right now,” Key said.

 

“Hmm, I’m really craving some chicken.”

 

“And I really want to hit a .”


Well, I'm off!

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PLEASE COMMENT!!!!    Comments are love. I need love.

Bye bye~