Learning

Onward

 

Minho held onto Taemin tightly. They had slid down to the floor, Minho still holding onto Taemin in fear that the boy would run from him, and Taemin sobbing into Minho’s chest, clutching onto his shirt as if for dear life. Taemin was scared, terrified, because someone now knew his secret. Minho found out about his secret, and although he promised not to tell anyone, Taemin was still scared. He just wanted to run, but he knew Minho wouldn’t let him. Minho’s grasp on him was tight, and Taemin didn’t want to use his abilities on Minho. He was afraid of hurting him.

 

Minho was just trying to piece everything together in his mind. The sweet and innocent Taemin was actually a vampire, which explained his pale skin and why he flinched when touched. It explained why the boy was so mysterious, and why he had been homeschooled. He just wasn’t sure if Taemin’s homeschooling was for his own safety or for the safety of the human population. If Taemin was a vampire, he would definitely have some advantage over them, but then again, Taemin had clearly expressed his own fear of humans.

 

Minho understood his fear. It was a reasonable fear. Humans were too curious for their own good, and some would stop at nothing to get their hands on a new discovery. Taemin’s fear was completely understandable. He was afraid he’d end up as some lab experiment, and Minho didn’t want that to happen to Taemin. He wanted to keep the boy safe.

 

And then Minho felt bad. Only four days into the new school year and he had already crushed the boy. Taemin was trying so hard to keep his secret, and already four days into the school year, Minho already found out. He felt like he was the monster now, for hurting Taemin when he really shouldn’t have. Taemin’s true nature was none of his business, but he just had to be nosy. He just had to go and hurt the boy and find out his secret.

 

Now that he knew, he was even more curious. He wanted to learn more about Taemin and vampires. He wanted to know more about these abilities, and about what ability Taemin himself had. He wanted to know everything about Taemin now, except this time, he wouldn’t snoop around and try and find out on his own. Now, he could ask Taemin directly.

 

“You know, I’m not as freaked out as I thought I’d be,” Minho said.

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Minho said. “I just feel really comfortable around you.”

 

Taemin couldn’t responded to that, because he was afraid to say that he too felt comfortable around Minho. He didn’t want to admit it. He didn’t want anymore problems than he already had. Minho knowing he was a vampire was already a problem.

 

“Can you tell me more about you?” Minho asked.

 

“What do you want to know?

“What are abilities? What is yours?”

 

“Well,” Taemin said. “Abilities are pretty much powers that a vampire has. Every vampire has a different ability, or abilities. Some have the ability of increase speed, or strength, or really anything you can think of. Abilities come at different times for every vampire. Some get them when they are born, some have to wait a few years, some have to wait hundreds of years. I got mine a few months ago. Mine is... Complicated.”

 

“Care to explain?”

 

Taemin sighed. He knew he really didn’t have a choice in the matter now that Minho knew his secret. It was either tell Minho everything he wanted to know, or risk Minho telling everyone his secret, though something told him Minho wouldn’t. He wanted to believe that, that Minho wasn’t going to tell anyone, but he could never be sure.

 

“I have the ability to control the entire body, that includes your mind. I can do whatever I want with it. Read your thoughts, add thoughts to your head, make you walk when you don’t want to, stop blood flow, stop your heart. I can control everything.”

 

“That’s kind of scary,” Minho admitted.

 

“Yes, which is why I don’t like to practice it. It’s dangerous,” Taemin replied.

 

He didn’t want to scare Minho. He was scared of him now, but he didn’t want Minho to leave him. He was his first human friend, and he didn’t want that to change. Despite Minho knowing the truth, he wanted to keep Minho by his side, if anything just to keep him in his sights, so he knew Minho wouldn’t tell anyone. No one else could find out about him.

 

If human’s didn’t research what they feared, they killed it, completely got rid of it. Anyone else in his family would have no problem killing a human to get out, but Taemin couldn’t do that, he would never. He could never kill anyone else, he didn’t even want to think about doing so. He idea itself was gruesome.

 

“If you want... you can practice on me,” Minho said.

 

Taemin started up at him in shock, trying to push away the want to slap him across the face, and settling for punching his arm as hard as he could.

 

“Ow! What was that for?!”

 

“Are you an idiot or something?! Did you not hear when I said it’s dangerous?! One mistake and you could die,” Taemin said. “I... I don’t want to hurt you. I don’t want to hurt anyone.”

 

Minho sighed, knowing that it really was a stupid thing to say. Why would he even offer himself up to have his body controlled? It would no doubt be painful, and he didn’t want to go through it, but he honestly did want to help Taemin. How else was he supposed to make up for crushing the boy the way he did? Taemin is only 16, walking around a place he wasn’t used to, in constant fear that he’d get caught. When he found out, he should have at least kept it a secret from the boy.

 

“Okay, not my best idea, but how can I make it up to you? I feel bad finding out your secret like this.”

 

“Just don’t tell anyone,” Taemin said. “As long as you don’t tell anyone, I’ll be happy.”

 

“That’s it? Nothing else?”

 

“Well...”  


 

Taemin didn’t really know what possessed him to do this, but he did it anyway. He needed to do this. He would need some help, and keeping the secret was now harder now that more vampires would be in school. He would’ve preferred keeping Minho out of this, but what was done was done. Besides, it wouldn’t be too bad right? As long as no one else found out, everything would be okay.

 

So Minho found himself facing Taesun and two other people with Taemin by his side. Their glares were sending chills down his spine. The other guy looked a lot like Taemin, but the girl didn’t although he knew they were related. If he didn’t know any better, he would’ve thought the boy was another of Taemin’s older brothers, but Taemin had assured him that he only had one older brother.

 

And then he felt heavy, too heavy, and he fell to the ground. It felt like he was being slammed against a wall and pressed there, and he hated the feeling. It was painful, and it only felt like more weight was pressed on top of him.

 

“Hyung, stop it! You’re hurting him!”

 

“That’s the point Taemin! He needs to go!”

 

“Stop!”

 

The pressure was gone in an instant, and he gasped for arm. Taemin bent down to check on him, helping him stand and dust him off. He staggered a bit, and was glad he had Taemin to lean on, because he was sure he would have fallen by now. His head was killing him and he winced when he brought up a hand to massage his temple.

 

“W-What was that?” he asked.

 

“Taesun controls gravity,” Taemin replied.

 

“I should have flattened you when I had the chance,” Taesun said.

 

“Enough.” The rest looked at the girl, who stepped between them all. She glared at Minho, before sighing and closing her eyes. “I don’t like this anymore than you guys do, but crushing him isn’t going to help.”

 

“Of course it is. If he’d dead he can’t squeal.”

 

“And how are they going to explain how a body just got flattened and crushed.”

 

“I could beat him to death,” the boy said. Minho gulped, because the boy’s glare was just as terrifying as Taesun’s.

 

“No one is beating or killing anyone,” the girl said. “Besides, this could be good. We’ll need someone to help us while we’re here. Besides, if he squeals, you can kill him. Until then, he stays alive.” The two boys nodded and Taemin thanked her. She turned to him, her glare less threatening, but still there. “My name is Park Luna, I’m Taemin’s younger cousin.”

 

“I’m Kim Jongin,” the other boy said. “I’m also Taemin’s cousin, the youngest of us three.” Minho stared at him, and then at Taemin. He couldn’t believe that Taemin was older, but then again, what was more believable, that or vampires? Both were the truth, but one was more realistic than the other.

 

“My name is Choi Minho,” he replied, bowing to them. They nodded and Taesun huffed.

 

“This would be so much easier if he just killed him,” Taesun said. Minho flinched and Taemin tightened his grip on his arm.

 

“You won’t kill him. Even though he found out.. He’s still my friend, my first friend. I won’t let him get hurt, not by other vampires. No one else can know that he knows.”

 

“But what if they do find out? They’ll come after him Taemin. They’ll try to kill him,” Taesun said, trying to reason with his brother. Taemin glared at him and shook his head.

 

“I won’t let them, even if I have to use my abilities.”

 

“You’ll be labeled as a traitor.”

 

“Then so be it,” Taemin said. “But as of right now, he is under my protection. I won’t let him get hurt.”

 

His family sighed, knowing that there was no getting passed Taemin’s stubbornness, but Minho could only stare in awe. This was so different than the Taemin that was so terrified to even speak before. It felt weird having the younger boy vow to protect him. Part of him thought it should be the other way around. He should be the one protecting Taemin, but then again, he wasn’t the one with the abilities. Against a group of vampires, Minho would be lucky to last even a second, Taemin proved it when he nearly crushed him like an ant under a boot.

 

“So, what are your abilities?” Minho asked Luna and Jongin.

 

“I haven’t gotten mine yet, so I don’t know,” Luna said.

 

Jongin was reluctant to respond, but when Taemin glared at him, he gave in. “Increased strength.”

 

“How strong?”

 

“You want to test it out?”

 

“Jongin,” Taemin threatened. Jongin sighed then took a deep breath, trying to calm himself.

 

“I’m sorry, okay? What else do you expect me to do when a human found out what we are? What if he hurts you Taemin? I can’t allow that,” Jongin said. Taemin understood what his cousin was trying to say. He may be younger, but it was only by a few months. Jongin was used to taking up the role as hyung in their relationship. He looked the part, and it was just a normal instinct.

 

“I understand,” Taemin said, walking over to hug his cousin. “But do remember that I am older than you, even if you are more like a hyung. I can take care of myself now, and I know what I’m doing. Just trust me, okay?” Jongin nodded and returned the hug before letting go and giving Minho one last glare.

 

“If you do anything to hurt Taemin in any way, I won’t hesitate to snap you like a twig.”

 

Minho didn’t doubt that he could. Jongin didn’t look as physically fit as he did, and he was shorter, but he was dealing with vampires now. This was no joke. They were serious, and Minho was in some deep crap if he made one wrong move. If it weren’t for Taemin, Minho was sure he’d be dead and buried by now. It was weird that these people feared what humans could do to them, when they were so strong.

 

That was actually a good question.

 

“If you have your abilities, why fear humans?” Minho asked.

 

“I already told you why,” Taemin said.

 

“No Taemin, its a good question,” Taesun said. “We aren’t all afraid. I for one am not. I’ve lived a long time among humans, so I know how to hide properly. Not only that, but I could take out more than enough people just by controlling gravity. We don’t fear for ourselves, we fear for Taemin. His ability may be strong, but his heart isn’t. If he had to, Taemin would starve himself before drinking a human’s blood. If people were to find out what he really is and attack him, he wouldn’t put up a fight. That is why it’s so important that this secret stays a secret. That, and vampires who haven’t gotten their abilities like Luna. If they were to be attacked, they’d be defenseless.”

 

Minho nodded. So, it wasn’t all vampires. It was just the ones that hadn’t gotten their abilities, and Taemin. Now he felt like even more of a jerk for even thinking Taemin was a monster.

 

The conversation ended there. During the previous of the week, Taemin had blatantly ignored him, and Minho understood why. Taemin had every right to be mad at him, and he knew he deserved much more than just the silent treatment. Even so, Taemin was too forgiving for his own good, so the silent treatment didn’t last too long. Taemin was reluctant to talk to him, but it was still talking.

 

Now it was Saturday. Jongin and Luna were moving into Taemin’s house, were they would be living while attending school, since it was much closer than their own houses. Minho wasn’t allowed near Taemin’s house. He didn’t even know in what direction Taemin lived. Other than the fact that he was a vampire, Minho knew nothing about Taemin. Though he did understand why he wasn’t allowed near Taemin’s house. Taesun spared him, but there was no telling what Taemin’s parents would do. They wouldn’t be as understanding of the situation.

 

He had met up with Taemin, Taesun, Jongin, and Luna in a more secluded area of town, where no one would hear them talking. Now that he had met Taemin’s cousins, he knew that these were the two people that were going to be joining them at school. Jongin and Luna weren’t as smart as Taemin though, so they wouldn’t be able to go to the advanced classes, but they would no doubt do well on their own together. They had been around humans more than Taemin had.

 

When they were done talking, Jongin, Taesun, and Luna left, leaving him with Taemin. They just walked around aimlessly, nothing more to talk about and nothing to do. They were both quiet, though it wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable. It was just awkward between them. It always had been, because Taemin wasn’t used to talking about things humans talked about. With his cousins, they’d talk about what they’ve been doing, usually with Taemin telling them the new things he’d learned, and Jongin and Luna telling him about their latest adventures outside.

 

Taemin didn’t get to have that experience. He was caught before he could try. A few days ago, he didn’t even know what a cell phone was. How could Minho expect him to keep up with sports or recent news?

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

He turned look at Taemin, who was fidgeting and looking down.

 

“What for?”

 

“Everything. For you find out. For putting you in this mess. For putting you in danger. For–”

 

“Woah, wait a minute. Taemin, none of that was your fault. I find out because I was a nosy jerk. I put myself in this situation,” he replied.

 

“But I should’ve been more careful. I should’ve–”

 

“No,” he said. He moved to stand in front of Taemin, grabbing his hands to get his attention, feeling just how cold Taemin’s skin was. “You have nothing to apologize for, so no more blaming yourself. What’s done is done. It’s in the past. As of right now, we’re together in this.”

 

“Together?” Taemin asked, looking up at him with those big brown eyes. Minho really wished he could see Taemin’s red eyes up close. Brown looked so natural on him, but it wasn’t Taemin. The real Taemin didn’t have brown eyes. The real Taemin’s eyes were red, and Minho wanted to see them clearly. Maybe not now, or soon, but he wanted to see them.

 

He felt butterflies in his chest when Taemin spoke. Something about the word together, the way Taemin said, it just made his heart feel lighter, he felt happier. He didn’t know what it was, but he liked it. He really liked the feeling.

 

“Yeah, together,” he said.

 

“Promise?”

 

He chuckled. “I promise. Now come on. I know a really good bakery you might like. I don’t know if you like sweets, but it’s worth a shot right?”

 

“Sweets? Like banana milk?”

 

“Yeah, I think they serve banana milk. Though I’m curious, what does blood taste like?”

 

“Same way it would taste for you,” Taemin replied.

 

“Isn’t that gross?” Minho asked.

 

“To a human, yes. To a vampire, its the best taste in the world. Human blood is richer than animal blood, it has more flavor. Animal blood tends to taste bland.”

 

“So why not go for a human?”

 

“That sounds like an invitation, but no. I told you already, I won’t. Being bitten isn’t a good feeling. I’ve seen my dad bite someone before. It looked painful. Animals squeal when I bite them, even if I try to be as gentle as possible. I don’t even want to bite animals, but I have to stay alive somehow right?”

 

“But, you’re heart doesn’t beat right?”

 

“Correct, I have no heartbeat. However, I do have blood in me. I would bleed if I got cut.”

 

“How does that even work?” Minho asked.

 

“Think of it like this,” Taemin said. “I don’t need any of my organs, except you know, the stuff for me to go to the bathroom. Other than those, I have no need for any of my organs. I won’t die of any illness or disease. However, I do still bleed, my own blood. It’s just there. The only purpose it serves is turning someone into a vampire, or for feeding your lover, once you find one.”

 

“But I thought every vampire had to bite someone for blood. Lovers just share their own?”

 

“You really ask a lot of questions.”

 

“Sorry,” Minho said.

 

Taemin sighed, but chuckled. “It’s okay to be curious. Anyway, sharing blood is only part of the ritual, its what bonds them together. You humans, its marriage, for us, its drinking our lover’s blood. They drink each other’s blood, and they are bonded.”

 

All of this seemed so interesting to Minho, and he wanted to learn so much more. Something about the idea of bonding and turning into a vampire just appealed to him, intrigued him. He wasn’t sure why, but he liked the idea of it. Of being turned into a vampire and bonding.

 

But why?

 

 


Wooooh! Update~!!!

I'm making this short, because I'm tried.

For those of you that don't know, "Fated to Be" will be on a short break until I can get some more ideas for it. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know. I'd be really helpful.

Next for an update is "Being With You," which has turned out more popular than I thought it would, which makes me really happy. 

So, I'm done here.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT! I get really sad when I only get one or two comments. COMMENTS MOTIVATE ME TO WRITE! 

Anyway, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! :D