Heat

Onward

“Tell me more about angels and demons,” Minho said.

 

Taemin chuckled, his hand never leaving Minho’s hair. They were in their clearing again, Minho resting his head on Taemin’s lap comfortably for the younger to pet. It was soothing, feeling Taemin’s soft fingers massage his scalp.

 

“You really like hearing about them, don’t you?” Taemin asked.

 

“Yeah, I think its pretty interesting. I mean, I grew up learning angels were perfect and demons were evil, and then you show up, and not to be rude or offensive or anything, but vampires are sort of diabolic and all, aren’t they? But you are so nice and perfect,” Minho explained.

 

Taemin chuckled again. “None taken. Vampires aren’t diabolic, per say. We are, in a sense, demons, but not as powerful. We are very limited on what we can do. There are all types of demons out there. Not all of them haunt and possess people, though the majority do. Some demons don’t even have a physical form, in hell or on earth, which is mainly why they possess people. Dragons are considered demons. They don’t haunt or possess, but there are many different types, big and small, and extremely powerful. And that whole thing about hell and fire, not true. I mean, there are demons and dragons who control water. Fire is just a typical stereotype, though not uncommon.”

 

“This is all so complicated,” Minho said.

 

“You’ll get used to it.”

 

“So hell isn’t a pit of flames?”

 

“Don’t know, I’ve never been there. Appa said it isn’t a really pretty place, so it isn’t worth going, though he never really goes into much detail about it. He doesn’t like dealing with demons. Umma doesn’t either,” Taemin said.

 

“So vampires and demons don’t get along?”

 

“I told you this before, didn’t I?” Taemin asked. “Demons used to imprison vampires, and use them for all sorts of things. Vampires were sort of like a slave to demons, whether it be for , or simple housekeeping. It was a long time ago, so vampires have kind of gotten over it, or at least the younger ones did. Vampires who lived during that time period are still somewhat resentful.”

 

“And the demons?”

 

“Most have changed. They’ve come to terms with the fact that vampires have rights too, and are powerful in their own way. Other demons though, still see vampires as inferior to demons. There isn’t exactly a feud, but they aren’t exactly the best of friends either. I’ve never met a demon before.”

 

Minho opened his eyes, looking up at Taemin. It was a weekend, and they weren’t anywhere near town. Taemin didn’t even bother putting on his contacts, so Minho could clearly see his red eyes. Brown was pretty on Taemin, but the red made his eyes much more captivating and alluring. He was pretty with brown eyes, but he was absolutely beautiful with red ones. Minho loved his red eyes better than the brown.

 

“You don’t seem like a demon in any way, other than the red eyes. You’re too sweet and nice. You’re more like an angel to me,” Minho said. He was happy when it earned him a peck on the forehead from Taemin and grinned up at the boy. The blush on Taemin’s cheeks was worth the embarrassment that came with saying the cheesy comments.

 

“Everyone says that angels are the most beautiful creatures, but I don’t think its true. I have a friend thats an angel, but she doesn’t really count here, because he’s really pretty. Anyway, when a human dies, they get sent to either heaven, or hell. When they go to either place, their appearance doesn’t change. They don’t become any better than it was before. Some people, when they die, either choose to look the age they did when they died, or look younger,” Taemin explained. He was thinking about Sunny noona. She was a nice noona, an angel that didn’t care what creature you were. She was one of the mischievous angels he had told Minho about before, the type to pull pranks and sometimes cause trouble, but overall, she was very sweet, and motherly.

 

“You get to choose how old you look when you go to heaven or hell?” Minho asked. That was really weird. If he ever saw his grandmother as an angel, who had died a few years ago, at a younger age, he probably wouldn’t recognize her. He was sure he was an angel, because the woman was one of the sweetest people he knew.

 

“Yeah, cool right? Those most people choose to stay the age they died, usually grandparents who go to heaven. If they go to hell, people usually tend to choose their younger form, mainly because an old man doesn’t really seem scary, does it.”

 

“So what about ghosts? Are those demons?”

 

“No, ghosts are people who are unable to move on, or are waiting for a decision to be made about where they’re going. Sometimes, a ghost is unable to pass on because they have unfinished business. Sadly, there are cases in which a ghost can’t remember exactly who they were before they died, so they are left wondering around, unable to move on because they don’t know how.”

 

“That’s really sad,” Minho said. He paused a bit though, thinking back to Taemin’s previous talk about angels and feeling a little bud of jealousy form. “So... Who’s the pretty angel you were talking about?”

 

Taemin gave him a knowing look, to which he responded by pouting and shrugging his shoulders.

 

“Sunny noona is an angel that I know. She doesn’t come by very often, but she’s very sweet. She’s one of those angels I told you about before that tends to cause trouble, but she’s nice, and she takes care of me. She practically like another mother.”

 

Minho breathed a sigh of relief. He didn’t want anyone flirting with Taemin. Sulli’s friend Krystal already tried until she found out that he and Taemin were dating, and she back off, though somewhat reluctantly. Minho was still hesitant to let her near his Taemin.

 

“Good. I don’t think I could compete with an angel,” Minho replied.

 

Taemin gave him another peck on the forehead. “You don’t have to compete anyone. No angel, vampire, demon, or any other creature could ever take me away from you.”

 

“Not I’d let them do it without a fight. You’re mine, so I’m never letting you go.”

 

 


 

 

Minho woke up next morning drenched in sweat, feelings dizzy from the heat. It was almost unbearable, but he managed somehow. His whole body felt like it was ready to burst into flames, and he couldn’t fathom what the problem was.

 

Even so, he had to go to school. He couldn’t leave Taemin there without him. Taemin needed him there. Especially now that he had finally come to terms with his feelings. He was no doubt in love with Taemin. Even if Taemin didn’t need him there, he needed to be near Taemin. He couldn’t bare it if he wasn’t.

 

So despite the burning sensation coursing through him, he got out of bed and got ready for school. He’d hold out until it was time to go home, but he didn’t think he could handle anything after that. This much was already making him feel tired.

 

The walk to school was excruciating with the sun out, few clouds to be of any use. He was sure that you could see the sweat from his shirt, but there was nothing he could do about it. The best he could do about it was not run to school. He was walking as quickly as he could, but still slowly. It was as quick as he could at the moment.

 

As usual Taemin was already at the gate, waiting for him there. As soon as he caught sight of him, Taemin knew there was something definitely wrong, he had sensed it a while ago. He ran up to him, pushing his fringe out of the way and placing his hand there, retracting it quickly with wide eyes when he felt how hot it is.

 

“Hyung, you’re burning! Why did you come to school?!”

 

“To see you,” Minho replied quietly. He used his hands to signal Taemin to speak quietly. His headache was driving him crazy. Taemin nodded and lead him over to a bench to sit in.

 

“Wait here and don’t move from this spot. I’m going to talk to Taesun hyung. You aren’t staying here today and I’m going to take care of you.”

 

Taemin left him there, and he sunk into the seat, ignoring looks he got from other people. He assumed Taemin would be informing Taesun about their absence from school, so that the older wouldn’t freak out too much. He’d find them, of course, but Taemin might as well save him the trouble.

 

A few minutes later and Taemin was back, lifting him up as best he could before walking, his arm over his shoulder and Taemin’s around his waist in an attempt to steady him in case he fell over. The walk back was faster than the walk to school, probably because he wasn’t stumbling as much as he was before, and had someone to lead him instead of trying to walk with hazed eyes.

 

Luckily, his parents had already left for work, and wouldn’t be back until later that night, so he and Taemin could be as open as they wanted without having to worry about getting caught.

 

As soon as they reached his house and the door was open, Taemin rushed to get him to bed, even going as far as to change his clothes to something bigger and lighter, so that he wouldn’t feel too hot. A cold wet cloth was almost immediately on his forehead before he could say anything about it.

 

It was weird. He didn’t necessarily feel sick or nauseous. He just felt hot, which was causing him to feel dizzy. Other than that, there was no sore throat, runny nose, or anything like he’d usually have.

 

More off, instead of his whole body, the burning seemed to center at his chest. It was unexplainable what the feelings was, but it wasn’t just heat.

 

“How did you get so sick hyung,” Taemin asked. It was more to himself than to Minho, but he decided to answer anyway.

 

“I don’t know. I was just fine yesterday. I don’t feel sick Taemin,” he replied.

 

“But you are. Maybe I should take you to the hospital. Your fever is too high,” Taemin said.

 

Minho shook his head. He really didn’t want to go to the doctor, and he knew for a fact that he wasn’t sick. This wasn’t normal. He had looked at the thermometer Taemin had placed in his mouth a few minutes back. A hundred and thirty degrees wasn’t a temperature his body could survive. A hundred and ten was already fatal. He should have been dead by now, and yet, he knew he wasn’t feeling the complete heat of it. If he was, he wouldn’t just be sweating or feeling dizzy. He’d be vomiting and most likely unconscious by now.

 

No, this was definitely not normal. Something was wrong with his body, and he wasn’t sure what.

 

“Taemin,” he said. His voice was faint, but firm. “Use your abilities on me.”

 

“What?! No! I can’t do that Minho. You’re already too sick. What if it only makes it worse?!”

 

“You can control the entire body system right?” He waited for Taemin to nod, which came slowly and hesitantly moments later. “Then you can figure out why my body is overheating and probably stop it. Please, at least try.”

 

Taemin didn’t want to. He really didn’t, but how could he not at least consider trying when his dear Minho was lying there, flushed and in a condition that couldn’t be explained. He never learned how to take care of sick people, he never had to. He never had to save a life like this. He was scared.

 

Please, Taemin.”

 

Nodding, Taemin’s resolve hardened. He had to do this. He needed to be strong and focused. One mistake and he could shut down Minho’s body and kill him. All he needed to do was get the hypothalamus in his brain to start working properly again to regulate his body temperature. Just switch the hypothalamus on. That was it.

 

Minho watched as Taemin’s gaze focused directly on his head. He saw how Taemin’s eyes seemed to glow red behind the brown contacts as he started using his abilities. His head was tingling, but he ignored the feeling. It was like feeling soft poke on the cheek compared to the heat he was feeling all over his body, mainly his chest.

 

“It’s not working,” Taemin said softly. “All of your body systems are working properly. There is nothing wrong with you internally, so why are you like this?” Taemin was shaking already, reaching a hand hesitantly to hold Minho’s hand. He was afraid that if he did something wrong, he could hurt Minho more than he already was.

 

Minho hated that Taemin was crying now, frustrated and upset tears sliding down his cheeks. He tightened his grip on the boy’s hand, hoping to alleviate some of his fears, but Taemin wasn’t having any of that. He was scared, and with good reason. At this point, a hospital was out of the question. They’d just take him, run tests, call him a miracle for lasting this long with minor symptoms, and never find a cure before he dies.

 

All he could do at the moment was hold Taemin close and hope this would all end soon.

 

He said he’d never let Taemin go, and planned to keep that silent promise.

 

 


 

 

“He’s awakening,” the taller boy said.

 

“He’ll be sore for days,” the older one said.

 

“Poor kids. He probably think he’s gonna die and the little one is probably terrified. Should we tell them the truth?”

 

“No. We’ll wait. When he wakes up again, we’ll confront them.”

 

“Isn’t there any way to ease his pain? Even a little?” the younger asked.

 

“Not really, especially not his type. Even if I eased a bit of the pain, he wouldn’t even notice at this point. Today its just the heat. Tomorrow he’s going to have back pains to,” the older explained.

 

“And after that?”

 

“All hell breaks loose.”


OMG IT'S AN UPDATE! 

I'm sorry for taking so long to update. Please don't kill me. 

Look! Plot advancement! 

I finally gave you a hint at who the two guys and the man and woman are always talking about. 

Anyone want to guess what's happening to Minho?

This chapter is just awful, I sincerely apologize. I wanted to update as soon as possible, and then it just ended up looking like I just threw up all over Google docs. Please forgive me!!

Even so, I would love it if you would all please comment and tell me what you think! 

Thank you, and bye bye~

 

Tumblr~

Twitter~