Prologue

Onward

 

Nothing ever really made sense to him. He couldn’t understand why some people felt the need to change themselves for someone else. If the person really liked you, they’d like you for who you are, right? He didn’t understand why playing a sport seemed to be such a big deal in school. It was fun, it kept him fit, and he enjoyed it, so why did people think he had to act a certain way because of it? He just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that people thought it was cool to do something utterly stupid, just to look good.


Were people so desperate? Why was it that status was the only thing people seemed to care about at school? He could understand people wanted friends, to be popular, but for what? In ten years, when school was over and everyone went their separate ways, how many of those friends you changed yourself to make would actually still be there?


He wasn’t a loner. He had friends. Few he could call close friends, but they were his friends nonetheless, and he knew that he wouldn’t trade them for anything. They were a strange group, all completely different, but they all just seemed to fit so perfectly. It was probably why they were so interesting in the first place. Sadly, his group of friends had gathered quite a lot of attention, but none of them cared for it much. They chose to ignore the stares they got. What other people thought of them was none of their concern, so long as they got on with their lives.


Jinki, mostly known as Onew,  was the oldest in their group. He was caring and funny without even really trying. He was clumsy and fell a lot, but he also liked to imitate things and do body gags, so sometimes, people had a hard time telling whether he was doing a gag, or if he really actually fell. Overall though, he was incredibly nice, and very smart, top of his class. It was unexpected from such a clumsy person, and he didn’t seem at all like a nerd since he was so oblivious at times, but that was just another thing everyone loved about him.


Jonghyun was the second oldest. Grade wise, he could use some help, but he was sweet, so that made up for it in peoples’ minds. He could be a bit loud sometimes, and tended to grab a lot of attention because of it, but overall, he was okay. The best part about him was his voice though. He was King of the Music department, or so he liked to call himself. Of course their were others that were equally as great, but Jonghyun liked to think that he was the best, and they let him.

 

Kibum, otherwise known as Key, was the second youngest, was like the mother of the group. He was a bit flamboyant and had a thing for fashion. To most people, he came across as a diva, but he was really actually a nice person once you got to know him. The only down side to him was that Key wasn’t afraid to say what was on his mind, offensive or not, which ended in a lot of arguments. He really didn’t mean to be so blunt and straightforward, but he couldn’t help it, and it was something he was trying to work on. Sometimes though, it just seemed like people provoked him.


Last but not least, was Minho. The mysterious one in the group. He didn’t talk much, and when he did, he only said what needed to be said, but he had his moments. He wasn’t made of stone. He had feelings too. He was funny when he wanted to be, and he spoke more when he got into the topic, but not much more. Ironically, his laugh was the loudest, but he was the quietest in the group, which no one understood. He was a player on the soccer team, which is why everyone found it strange that while usually the players would have their own group amongst themselves, Minho chose to be with his own group. He showed up to practice, he played at the games, and he talked to a few other players, but that was it.


Minho was just another student, just like everyone else. His grades were average. He was tall, yes, and he wouldn’t deny that he was good-looking, but he could think of nothing special about himself. There was nothing that made him more unique than others. He was just Choi Minho, a 17-year-old in his second year of high school, just trying to get by like everyone else.


He really couldn’t see why people thought he should be different. He didn’t need a popular girlfriend to make him look good. He didn’t need to go to parties to watch people get drunk off their . He didn’t need to bully other people just because they weren’t as talented or because they didn’t have any friends. He just wanted to be normal.


What annoyed him most is that people judged him because of his parents. His mother was a regular stay-at-home mom, but his father is a retired soccer player, currently a soccer coach. Because of this, everyone expects Minho to be aiming for team captain, but although Minho loves soccer, he doesn’t want that position. It helps that his father agrees with him, and doesn’t think Minho should pursue a future with soccer. Its not that he thinks Minho is a bad player, the opposite really, and Minho knows that. Its just that they both know, especially his father, the pressures that come with playing professionally, and neither want him to experience that.


Other than that, Minho enjoyed school. He didn’t like all the people, but school wasn’t a problem. He had friends to help him survive.


“Lee Taemin, for the last time, if you continue to act so carelessly, you’ll get hurt, or worse.”


He knew what worse was. There was two possibilities, and he didn’t like either, though he couldn’t say he cared either. He saw no point to anything anymore. It wasn’t like he could go out and make a living anyway. How could he when in a few years, he’d have to leave the place and never return. There was nothing to look forward to anymore. He got rid of those thoughts a long time ago. As soon as he started liking something or a place, it was time to go to the next.


“Look at us when we are talking to you!”


He looked, but what difference did that make? He didn’t care what they had to say either way. It was the same everywhere they went. He really didn’t see what was so wrong with what he was doing. Was it such a crime to want to be normal; to act normal, just once? All he asked for was some normalcy. He never asked to be this way, and although he wanted to blame his parents, he couldn’t exactly blame them for wanting a child.


“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, looking at them just as they had asked. He noticed his parent’s eyes soften and his father sighed. They understood him, he knew, but that didn’t mean they could let him do as he pleased. Whether he liked it or not, he was who he was, and no matter how much he wanted to change that, he couldn’t. There was no way to change who he was. There was no potion or secret ability that could take away a person’s being.


“Taemin, I understand that you want to go out more, but its not that easy. What if they had realized what you were? We are just trying to keep you safe,” his mother said. He understood that. He knew it wasn’t safe. But, once in awhile wasn’t so bad right? Just a little bit, at least.


“Why can’t we just get along with them?”


“I wish we could,” his father said. “But it isn’t that simple. Humans, they fear what they don’t understand, and they don’t understand us. They can’t look past the stereotypes long enough to realize that we can live peacefully. If you were found out, they would stop at nothing to get you.”


“But I was careful. I even wore contacts,” Taemin replied. His voice was barely a whisper, but his parents could hear him. They knew what it felt like to be in his position, but they learned to live with it a long time ago. They wished they could do something for their son, but it wasn’t easy. Even if they could, it would be putting his life in danger, something they were reluctant to do.


Contrary to stereotypes, they didn’t all have super strength, nor could they all run at an inhumane speed. Indeed, they did all have some distinct trait, and some did have the increased strength or speed, but not all. They could only wish they did. Taemin, they knew their son. He wasn’t powerful, and he wasn’t invincible. Taemin’s abilities hadn’t even awoken yet, and they wouldn’t until he turned 16.


They had to homeschool him, because they were too scared to place Taemin in a school with other people. Normal parents feared sending their little ones to kindergarten, but they feared sending Taemin to school at any age. Society didn’t accept what he was, and if they knew, they didn’t even want to image what they would do to him. Some had been killed, others tested on. Neither were favorable. The only defining factor about Taemin was that he was pretty, unusually so for a boy his age.


It hurt them though, seeing their son so depressed. No one wanted to isolate their child, but what other choice did they have. Grown men could do nothing when caught, so what could Taemin, a boy who was barely 16 and had yet to develop any abilities, do to protect himself? But now, what other choice did they have. They couldn’t just let him live the rest of his life depressed.


With one last look at each other and then their son, they finally decided what they would do. They didn’t like it, but what else could they do?


“Okay Taemin, we’ve decided. After you turn 16, we’ll let you go to a regular school.”


That was three months ago. Now, it was September and Taemin was entering his new school. It was large, and crowded, and although he felt that excitement in him, he was also terrified. What if someone found out what he was? What then? It was unlikely because he was wearing his brown contact lenses, and his fangs were only sharp when necessary, so it wasn’t like he needed to hide his teeth. If he got a sudden thirst, he had bottle of strawberry milk in his bag. He prefered banana milk, but strawberry made the blood he added to it much less noticeable because of its pink color. It wasn’t a lot of blood, but it was enough to keep him satisfied for the time being.


Carefully, Taemin made his way into the school, ignoring the looks he got. He knew he was pretty, and he hated it. He didn’t like his feminine look, which is why he prefered keeping his hair short. Whether it was straight or wavy, he didn’t care, as long as it stayed short so that he wouldn’t be mistake for a girl. It didn’t help that he was incredibly skinny either, and he ate a lot, but that didn’t seem to help. His lack of muscles didn’t help either, but he decided that was something he would have to work on.


The building was larger than anything he was used to. He had never been in any building other than his own home, so seeing a large, overly populated building for the first time was intimidating. He almost regret agreeing to come here, but he couldn’t back down now. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance, and he couldn’t pass it up. He’d never be able to experience this again.


He walked carefully, trying to find the office on his own, because honestly, he was too scared to ask anyone for help. Would they make fun of him for his looks? Would they laugh because he had never been to a school before? Would they outright ignore him?


He wasn’t looking at where he was going anymore, and as a result, bumped into someone. He stumbled a bit, not expecting the impact, and fell back. He was muttering to himself, not wanting to cry out from the new found pain in his behind and winced.


“I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going,” he heard a voice say. It was deep, but not too deep, and soft, soothing, and he liked it. He looked up to see a hand outstretched in front of him, and looked further to see who the arm belonged to.


Taemin never thought about uality. He had never met anyone to think about it. He just figured that it was normal for a man and woman to be together based on his biology lesson and his parent’s relationship. Now though, this man before him was making him question everything he thought, because he could feel his cheeks heat up and his heart race. He looked back at the hand before hesitantly taking it. He had never touche, much less talked to a human, but their was a first for everything, right?


“N-No, it was my fault. I-I was zoning out. I’m sorry for bumping into you,” Taemin replied. He got up with the help of the teen in front of him pulling him up, and bowed.


“It’s fine. I guess we’re both at fault here. Are you new? You see lost,” the boy said. Taemin nodded, noting the looks of surprise around him. Why were they shocked? Was talking to him so surprising?


“Y-Yes, I’m new here.”


“Come on then, I’ll show you to the office.” The stranger, still holding Taemin’s hand, took him to the office. Taemin wasn’t really sure what to think. He liked this person, that much was clear to him, but who was this person? They haven’t even introduced themselves yet.


Taemin was scared, but happy too. He liked this person, and he hoped they could be friends. He just couldn’t let the other person find out too much about him.

 

Because who wouldn’t freak out if they found out they were friends with a vampire?

 



Wooh! I finally wrote it! This is what I spent the day doing after I woke up at 2 pm. Hehehe ^^

Well, anyway, thank you soooo much for reading and (if you did) subscribing! 

Please COMMENT and tell me what you think!!! 

 

P.S. They all have their Ring Ding Dong hair styles here, because I absolutely LOVED that era. (Not saying I don't love the others just as much. Its just that their hairstyles for Ring Ding Dong are one of my overall favorites. 

 

Well, I'm off! See you all later!

Again, thank you for reading and pleeaaaaaaase comment~!!!!!! They make me happy!