chapter 2

Beast Behind the Beauty

 

“No… It’s just… I’m thinking.” Eunhyuk said with a bit stammered voice. “Mother… I’m twenty this year… Don’t you think that I’m ready for…”

“Replacing your father?”

“Get married, mother.” Eunhyuk said and made the middle aged woman’s eyes couldn’t be bigger than that time.

 

 

The courage that he gathered before, crumbled in a split second the moment his mother gapped in disbelief. His body shivered in dread as the clock kept ticking while neither he nor his mother broke the silence between them. The lady of the mansion was shocked. Clearly, she didn’t expect to hear it from his only son.

“Lee Hyukjae…” His mother finally broke the silence while Eunhyuk could feel his palms were damp with cold sweats.

“Yes, mother?” He asked when his mother failed to complete her sentence.

“You…” She said, still dazed in shock. “I really don’t expect to hear this from you.”

“I-I’m sorry, mother.” Eunhyuk said in regret. “Forgive my indelicacy.” He continued, gazing down to his palms that were rested on his laps.

“No, no… Sweetheart.” His mother said as she fixed Eunhyuk’s gaze back to her face by lifting the youngling’s chin. “I just don’t get you, Hyukjae. Days before, you completely oppose the idea of getting married.” And Eunhyuk was left speechless.

He did oppose his father’s thought about marriage remembering how eager his father on finding a partner for him. Eunhyuk remembered his father reasoned that it would come the day when either Eunhyuk or his partner has to replace his father’s position as the prime minister.

“It’s just… I’ve been thinking about father’s words.” Eunhyuk lied, avoiding his mother’s gaze while the lady only nodded in silence.

“Hyukjae… You’re a fine young man.” His mother said. “I want you to enjoy your young age before you take this big step.”

“Mother… I’m stuck in this luxurious jail.” Eunhyuk said bluntly, for a while neglecting the politeness that he maintain from before. “There’s nothing I could enjoy here.” He continued. “Please forgive my indelicacy once more, mother.”

“You’re telling the truth, sweetheart.” She said in understanding. “But you have to remember, we did this for your own sake.” She continued.

“I know, mother.”

“Are you sure with your thought, sweetheart?” She asked and Eunhyuk nodded. “You’re sure you want this? Not only because your father asked you to..” She asked once more in hesitation while Eunhyuk nodded silently as an answer.

“Well then, I’ll talk to your father.” She said and Eunhyuk saw a smile in her lips.

 

***

 

A masquerade ball was held by the time winter season came. It was an annual party, held every year by his father as a tradition, but Eunhyuk knew it was different this year. His father invited every bachelor and bachelorette to attend the party, while Eunhyuk could only sigh, fully knowing his father’s real intention.

It was none others than introducing him to some of his acquaintance that he thought compatible for Eunhyuk. He had arranged a meeting for Eunhyuk but the youngling refused to go. It wasn’t that Eunhyuk wasn’t willing to try but he just didn’t see the point of it. He went for a several meetings but none of them work for him. It was just a plain lunch or dinner with a friend.

His father was dejected at first but Eunhyuk should have known better, he was never a friend with despair. He did stop arranging a meeting for Eunhyuk but he didn’t stop his trial. And there they were, standing on the front door of their mansion, welcoming the other nobles that came to their party.

Eunhyuk stood confidently on his father’s side, wearing a dark grey suit, which were carefully selected by his mother. The suit fitted him perfectly, making him look graceful in any angle. He looked neat as he fixed the white shirt under his suit and the black bow tie that lingered around his shirt collar.

Eunhyuk greeted the guests with a perfect smile of his before he hid half of his face behind a white mask and went inside the ball room to join the party. The ball room was packed with nobles, women and men mingling with each other, enjoying the extravagant night while Eunhyuk wondered around, smiling to every men and women that greet him.

He didn’t really enjoy the crowd and tried to hide himself on more secluded corner but his father prevented him from doing so. He led Eunhyuk to a group of girls, introducing each one of them carefully while Eunhyuk tried so hard to pay him an attention but he failed. His father gave him time to talk to them but after a while he finally excused himself and left the group. None of them left an impression at him.

His feet led him to the ball room’s balcony and he took his time enjoying the quietness of the night. He could still hear faint sounds of people laughing and the music from the orchestra but it didn’t bother him anymore. He rested his body on the stone fences of the balcony as he enjoyed the cold breeze that dashed his face. It felt really calming.

He was going to take off his mask when he saw someone joined him on the balcony. The man was taller than him and he looked dashing in Eunhyuk’s eyes. He wore a plain black suit with white shirt and grey vest underneath. He was beautiful. The said man smile as he stood beside Eunhyuk, and Eunhyuk could see how defined his face were.

Half of his face was covered with a mask, a grey one, but Eunhyuk could still see his dazzling brown eyes. His nose was sharp and his jaw line looked potent. His lips were thin and it was forming a smile to him, a small smile that captured Eunhyuk’s eyes. “Mind if I join you?” He asked and Eunhyuk silently nodded in awe. His voice was soft and velvety yet sounded so firm and valiant.

“I believe I didn’t see you back then when I was welcoming the guests.” Eunhyuk said, breaking the silence around them while the taller man chuckled.

“That makes you the host of this occasion.” The man said. “Yes, my arrival was a bit late because I got a very sudden matter to deal with beforehand.” He continued, explaining himself in polite way.

“Did you not enjoy the party?” Eunhyuk asked, trying to be a polite host he was, thinking maybe his guest wasn’t please with his party.

“The party was lovely,” The tall man answered. “I’m sorry, but I’m just not a party people.” He continued.

“Well, that makes us have the same reason to be here.” Eunhyuk said and smiled while the taller man chuckled.

“It’s hard to believe the host of such an extravagant party wasn’t really a party people.” The tall man joked.

“My father planned every single thing, I’m just following him around.” Eunhyuk said. “Why bother to come if you don’t like parties?” Eunhyuk asked because suddenly curiosity filled his brain.

“I’m just following my father around.” He answered cheekily while Eunhyuk let out a small laugh, amused by his new company.

“Well I must say I expect more various answer.” Eunhyuk said.

“I’m planning on giving only honest answer.” The man said bluntly. “My father once told me that he had close relation with the host of the party which is your father.” He continued.

“My father’s close to a lot of people.” Eunhyuk said, remembering how many acquaintances the old man has.

“He’s a great man.” The taller man said. “A fine role model.” He continued, and Eunhyuk could see that the tall man respected his father a lot.

“On behalf of my father, thank you. He must be happy to hear such a compliment from you.” Eunhyuk said and the tall man smiled at him. “Would you like to take a stroll with me?” Eunhyuk dared to ask, silently relieve that his face was covered with mask because he could feel heat spreading around his cheeks.

“Delighted to.” The taller man answered and Eunhyuk mentally squealed in joy.

Eunhyuk guided the taller man on their way across the ball room, leading him to the door that separated them from the crowd. It was packed but they managed to get out without anyone realizing, or so Eunhyuk thought.

He was going to lead the taller man to the front door but stop when both of them hear a sound of a woman clearing his throat. No, I’m in trouble, Eunhyuk thought as he turned his body and found his mother standing just steps away from them.

“Lee Hyukjae…” His mother called in gentle yet a firm voice while Eunhyuk gulped as he answered her call. “Where do you think you are going?” She asked, knowing that Eunhyuk wasn’t really a fan of party.

“He’s taking me to a stroll, madam.” It was the tall man that answered his mother’s question while his mother finally paid her attention to his company. “I’m not trying to steal Mr. Lee from his party, but he’s just being a polite host and tried to keep me company because I’m not really a fan of party.” He explained politely while Eunhyuk gapped, realizing that this stranger just saved him from being nagged by his mother.

“And you are?” His mother asked, finally showing her interest on the taller man.

“Forgive me for my rudeness, milady.” The tall man said as he took of his mask and Eunhyuk gapped once more. “I am the son of Lieutenant Cho, my name is Cho Kyuhyun.” He introduced himself as he bowed to Eunhyuk’s mother.

 

NO WAY!

 

***

 

Eunhyuk was dazed.  Cho Kyuhyun, the man that caught his heart was standing in front of him. The man that invaded his dreams and aded his daydreams… was there right in front of his eyes, standing proudly in his entire valor. Eunhyuk must be dreaming by now.

Eunhyuk removed his mask, eyes still locked on the taller man while Kyuhyun only smiled at him in return. “I’m sorry milady but I don’t want to cause Hyukjae any trouble.” Kyuhyun said politely while Eunhyuk saw sparkles on his mother’s eyes.

“No, no, no trouble at all, young man.” His mother said softly and one of Eunhyuk’s eyebrows creased when he saw his mother giggled. “If that’s the matter, then you can go on.” She continued and Eunhyuk’s eyes widened in shock. You’ve got to be kidding me, Eunhyuk thought.

Kyuhyun smiled as he thanked Eunhyuk’s mother before he excused them. “After you…” Kyuhyun said at Eunhyuk and the smaller man felt his heart skipped a bit when he looked at Kyuhyun’s eyes, that one more time dazzling eyes.

Eunhyuk guided Kyuhyun to the door that lead them to the garden and being a gentleman he was, the taller man opened the door for Eunhyuk and followed him out of the mansion before he closed the door. Eunhyuk felt giddy already. He was drowned in awe as he saw Kyuhyun strolling on the garden by his side.

“So Kyuhyun…” Eunhyuk said, breaking the silence while the taller man turned to have a better look of him.

“Yes, Hyukjae?” He asked and Eunhyuk felt like his heart was going to explode in any moment. How Kyuhyun called his name… It sounded perfectly right.

“You didn’t tell me that your father was the lieutenant.” Eunhyuk said. “And it’s Eunhyuk… Not Hyukjae. It sounded so old.”

“Is that matter?” Kyuhyun asked. “Hyukjae sounds right for me.” He continued and Eunhyuk blushed in an instant.

“Well, that least information could enrich my poor knowledge about you.” Eunhyuk said.

“I guess it’s me that matter, right? Not my father’s title.” Kyuhyun stated and Eunhyuk could sense the coldness on Kyuhyun’s words.

“I offended you, didn’t I?” Eunhyuk asked and Kyuhyun chuckled. “Sorry.”

“That’s okay.” Kyuhyun said softly.

“My mother’s head over heels with you, Kyuhyun.” Eunhyuk said, trying to change the topic while Kyuhyun chuckled.

“Really? What about you?” He asked jokingly while Eunhyuk could tell that he was blushing again.

They strolled around the garden, just talking about random things, enjoying each other company and one more time, Eunhyuk was drowning in Kyuhyun’s gaze.

 

**

 

“Penny for your thoughts.” Eunhyuk was rather startled when Siwon patted his shoulder while the well built man chuckled lightly as he gathered the papers that were scattered on Eunhyuk’s desk.

“What, Siwon?” Eunhyuk asked, puzzled as he turned his attention to Siwon while the bigger one chuckled at him.

“You weren’t paying attention, were you?” Siwon pinpointed while Eunhyuk blushed in return. “What’s wrong? Come on, spill the beans.”

“It’s nothing.” Eunhyuk said as he turned his attention back on the book on his lap.

“I know you since we’re kids, Eunhyuk-ah. I know when you’re lying and right now you’re not saying the truth.” Siwon said while Eunhyuk pouted a bit.

“It’s about Kyuhyun…” Eunhyuk confessed while Siwon chuckled at him.

“You’re seriously mad for this guy, aren’t you?” Siwon said teasingly while Eunhyuk blushed as he whined in annoyance at Siwon. “What’s wrong about him?”

“Nothing… It’s the problem.” Eunhyuk said. “I can’t stop thinking about him.” He continued and blushed recalling what he just said.

“Oh my god, our Eunhyukkie is in love.” Siwon beamed while Eunhyuk whined one more time because seriously Siwon was hopelessly silly.

“I’m not talking to you anymore.” Eunhyuk said while Siwon just chuckled.

“Im sorry, okay?” Siwon said sweetly while Eunhyuk pouted in return. Eunhyuk told him about the time that he and Kyuhyun spent at the party and how awkward it was when they met his mother while Siwon paid his attention to the smaller man. Eunhyuk was going to tell him about how silly his mother was but he was interrupted by the knock on the door.

Siwon went to the door to open It and his mother joined the room. “Mother,” Eunhyuk said as he rose from his chair and bowed.

“Afternoon, sweetheart.” She said. “Are you free tonight?” She asked and Eunhyuk nodded.

“Yes, mother.” He answered politely and his mother smiled in return.

“Good. Prepare yourself, then. We’re going to have a guest.” She said and left without any further information while Eunhyuk and Siwon only creased one of their eyebrows in confusion.

“What was that?” Eunhyuk asked in confusion.

“Apparently, Eunhyuk… You’re going to meet important people.” Siwon answered.

 

***

 

It was dinner time when Eunhyuk was called to the living room of his mansion and quickly greeted by both of his parents and their acquaintances. “You must be Hyukjae.” The man in front of him said and Eunhyuk smiled as he answered the older man politely.

“Such a polite boy,” The lady in front of him commented and Eunhyuk blushed a bit.

“Hyukjae, this is Lieutenant Cho and his wife.” His father said while Eunhyuk gapped a bit. “They are Kyuhyun’s parents.” He continued and Eunhyuk blushed as he introduced himself to the elder.

“It’s a pity that Kyuhyun couldn’t make it here.” His mother said. “He was such a polite man.” She continued while Eunhyuk chuckled a bit as he sense the adoration on his mother’s words.

“I see Kyuhyun makes such a good impression. I’m glad.” Kyuhyun’s mother said while Eunhyuk took his time on looking at the couple in front of him. Lieutenant Cho looked gallant even on his old ages and Eunhyuk could see from whom Kyuhyun learned to be mature and polite. Eunhyuk expected him to be stiff and cold but he was friendlier than his title.

Kyuhyun’s mother was beautiful. Kyuhyun resembled her a lot. Kyuhyun has her eyes, her smile, Kyuhyun took a lot from his mother. She was sweet and gentle, loving and caring, she was an angle.

“We were captivated.” Eunhyuk’s mother said. “If not, why would our Hyukjae left the party only for him?” She continued and Eunhyuk’s eyes widened in an instant.

“Mother…” Eunhyuk whimpered in embarrassment while the elder just laughed at him.

After a while they moved to the dining room and started their dinner but stopped when the butler of the mansion joined the room with a man in tow. “Kyuhyun. What a surprise!” Eunhyuk’s mother was the first one to welcome his arrival while the tall man bowed to Eunhyuk’s parents as his greeting.

“I’m sorry for my late arrival.” Kyuhyun said. “I was too caught up with some work.” He explained himself while his father only nodded silently.

“Don’t be too formal, Kyuhyun.” Eunhyuk’s mother said. “Come on, have a seat.” She said and Kyuhyun settled himself beside Eunhyuk which made the smaller male’s heart skipped a beat.

“Hey…” Kyuhyun whispered as he leaned his body closer to Eunhyuk while the smaller man smiled at him as he whispered back.

“Late again, Mr. Cho?” Eunhyuk asked teasingly while Kyuhyun chuckled in return.

“Well, if I knew I was invited to have dinner with you, Mr. Lee, I wouldn’t be.” Kyuhyun said back while Eunhyuk blushed when he heard that.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the dinner and as the dessert was served, Eunhyuk’s father raised his glass and made a toast for everyone’s health and for their family’s relation.

“So, Kyuhyun, Hyukjae. You two must be wondering why we gathered here all of the sudden.” Kyuhyun’s father said and both men nodded in confirmation.

“Well, we’re going to arrange a marriage for the two of you.” He continued bluntly and Eunhyuk gapped for the nth time that day.

 

***