The Unveiling

Lost In Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

The Unveiling

 As they opened the door, the strong stench of blood filled their nostrils. All across the grey floors, there were patches of red-brown liquid seeping deep into the ashen concrete. Sehun was the first to step inside and as he examined the remnants of what resembled a small scale battlefield, he snapped his neck around to look at Jaehwa.

His questioning eyes told her everything and as she took in the scattered bodies – some dismembered and some whole, she wondered the same thing. Had she done that? Just as she opened to explain that self-defence was a necessity in the post-war world, she stopped. There were three bodies missing – Eunji, Gyuri and Minah. They were gone.

She moved forward, brushed Sehun aside and kneeled when she reached Luna. Placing a gentle hand on her neck and another on her wrist, she closed her eyes to feel her pulse and even when she didn’t feel anything after a good twenty seconds, she squeezed her eyes harder and didn’t dare to lose faith. She didn’t want to believe it even though she knew there was nothing she could have done to save her.

She flinched when Sehun placed a firm hand on her shoulder, “She’s gone. I’d be able to hear her pulse if she was still alive.”

He felt Jaehwa deflate under his touch before she tossed him a glance from over her shoulder, “There were three more girls here… they’re gone now.”

“What do you mean?”

“Gyuri, Minah and Eunji. They were here as well but they’re gone now. Their bodies are gone…” She stood up and winced at the sticky blood that adhered to her hand. “Do you think-“

“They’re alive.” The voice was weak and had a strange husky ring to it but it was unmistakable to them both.

Jaehwa cast Sehun one last look and when he returned her stare, he silently reached down for her hand. He gave it a tight, reassuring squeeze before he did the only thing he could do at that moment and took the first step towards the coffin at the centre of the room. She followed his lead and hoped that he would never let go of her.

As they leaned over the thick grey marble walls of the coffin, Sehun saw a face he remembered little of. Somewhere, beneath the grey wiry hairs and lost in the map of wrinkles that lined the woman’s face, Sehun found the ghost of an ex-lover and suddenly, every hair-raising thought of her disappeared into an abyss of worthless memories.

A dark smile deepened the fault lines that rippled across her sagged skin, “I knew you would come back.” They both knew she was referring to Jaehwa and even if they weren’t words of offence, Jaehwa felt a part of herself cave under the thought of her own predictability. 

“You said they were alive…” Jaehwa paused taking time to smooth the tremble from her voice, “What do you mean?”

HyeRyung blinked very slowly, “… but I didn’t expect Sehun… you shouldn’t have, Jaehwa…. You always manage to outdo yourself.” Her hawk eyes were blunt with age so that when Jaehwa stared deep into them, she found that the edges of her iris were greying and blending into the yellowing whites of her eyes.

She paused briefly and even though, Jaehwa was merely an onlooker, she knew the moment HyeRyung had met eyes with Sehun. The moment extended for what seemed like too long before the softest of grins cracked through HyeRyung’s face, “It’s been a long time, Hun-ah. How’ve you been?”

Sehun was still and just when Jaehwa felt as though she were losing him – just as a sick feeling twisted in her gut, Sehun’s fingers danced upon the back of her hands. She wasn’t sure if it was simply a reassurance or a reminder that he was holding her hand and no one else’s.

“You heard Jaehwa… What do you mean?” Sehun spoke with so much more poise than Jaehwa.

HyeRyung feigned hurt, wincing dramatically, “You’re so cold, Hun-ah… It’s been a long time. Aren’t you curious about how I ended up here?”

“Just answer her question.” His voice was cold as ice, slicing through HyeRyung’s casual, nonchalant banter and though there was the slightest trace of her injured pride mapped out in the lines on her face, she brushed it aside.

She sighed heavily before muttering, “You’re all no fun…”

Watching HyeRyung, Jaehwa swallowed her pride along with the rest of her insecurities, “What do you mean when you say that they’re not dead?” Her tone was soft, revealing the fatigue that had seeped into her bones and stripped her of any energy left to argue.

“Did you really think that they were maintanence girls like you?” HyeRyung smirked before she shifted her gaze to Sehun again, “And you Sehun… I thought you’d be smarter than to take the bait. Twelve prodigal princes under one roof… how hard do you think it’s going to be to get rid of you? You didn’t really believe that there’d be something as good as a vampire sanctuary under Eligorian rule… did you?”

“What do you mean?” Jaehwa leaned over with wide, curious eyes. “What are you trying to say?”

“You both know me… I have never done charity work in my life… and I don’t plan to. You want something from me? Give me something in return.”

Sehun still held onto Jaehwa’s hand in a firm, reassuring grip, occasionally running his thumb over her knuckles to remind her of his support, “Personally, I don’t think you’re in a position to bargain.”

“Neither are you… if you want to get out of here alive.” HyeRyung returned starkly, “I’ve sealed my fate here… I’ve spent the last fifty years coming to terms with death but you? You’re in a position of power – you have the choice to make decisions. Personally… I wouldn’t mind if you all died with me… a little company is always good – the more the merrier right?”

“You need Blueblood… don’t you?” Jaehwa preferred not to cut corners with HyeRyung any longer.

HyeRyung’s narrow-eyed gaze fell back on Jaehwa, “You… You’ve gotten smarter.”

“You’ve just always underestimated my abilities.” Jaehwa returned calmly and Sehun stiffened beside her because he knew part of it was meant for him – that a long time ago he had made it seem as though she could never mean anything to him.

She was wrong of course because it was Sehun who saw the first sliver of strength and it was Sehun who forced it out of its shell. It was Sehun who gave her wings but it was also Sehun who feared her independence. He was afraid that one day, she’d realize he wasn’t the prince she wanted – that he had nothing that could keep her by his side.

So, he pushed her away. He set her free and found himself left in the shadows of his own regrets. He hated his insecurities and hated her for not seeing his true intentions even though he’d never meant for it to happen. He wanted her loyalty willingly – he wanted her to come back no matter how much he pushed her away and for years, she did. She did until he pushed too hard and she lost her way back to him.

“My blood for everything you know.” Sehun bit back whatever thoughts he had of Jaehwa and in a stern voice, proposed his offer. He made sure that it was clear to both women that he wasn’t going to budge from his stance.

Instantly, he felt Jaehwa’s gaze burn through his face but he ignored her.

HyeRyung smiled wickedly, “Blood first.”

“Ladies first.”

HyeRyung’s laugh was loud and emptying and as her voice travelled into the deepest corners of the room, Jaehwa felt herself become invaded with a profound sense of absence, “I don’t quite remember you being such the gentlemen, Sehun. Could it be that Jaehwa’s changed you?”

Jaehwa simply looked away and pulled her hand out of Sehun’s fighting grip. She felt a coldness spread in her chest as the thought of HyeRyung taking Sehun’s blood irritated her. She knew it shouldn’t but it did. She’d already given so much to HyeRyung – her husband, her sister, her pride and standing before her, she couldn’t even exact revenge.

 

 

 Xiumin examined the heavy wooden door before him and stuck a hand into the depths of his pockets. Pulling out a crinkled piece of paper, he attempted to restore it into its original form – flat, with messy handwriting scratched across its surface.

Lecture Hall X, midday break

He checked the gold plaque screwed into the wall beside the dark doors. As expected, inscribed in the precious metal were the exact words, Lecture Hall X.  He chewed on his lips, second guessing the mysterious note-writers intention but decided he would never know for sure until he walked in.

The door gave way under his touch surprisingly easily for its size. The room was smaller than your ordinary lecture theatre with plush red seats and a single spotlight shining down on an empty stage. A sigh of relief left his lips when he saw the rest of his brothers already seated in the front row and he left his spot by the door.

“Xiumin.” Luhan shook hands briefly with Xiumin as he settled in the empty seat beside him.

“What’s going on?” He didn’t even bother asking how Luhan had managed to get out of detention.

“Kris thinks someone knows about us.” Luhan replied in a hushed tone.

Please log in to read the full chapter