Ruptured Feelings

Lost In Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Ruptured Feelings

 Kris poked a finger through the slots in the blinds as he peered through the murky glass to the library below. Students were gathered by the entrance, curious to find the source of the issue and from their direction of their pointed fingers, Kris gathered that they were all discussing the thick veil of smoke that now hung over the school complex.

The professors had managed to salvage half of the library but the other half was in complete tatters. The princes had barely escaped the scene to take refuge in the school’s infirmary but they knew a confrontation awaited them in the near future. Even if none of the students knew all twelve of them had been inside at the time of the fire, Professor Lee was well aware that the library had been offered to them.

Sighing, Kris peeled his gaze away before turning back to face his brothers. There was something so unsettling about the events of that night as though something was askew; out of place but Kris couldn’t quite put into words and that only irritated him more. He had a vague inkling that perhaps something terrible would happen and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t shake it off.

At a loss for what to do, he turned his attention to Soojung, who lay in a vacant bed weakly. A glossy sheen of sweat was masked over her pale skin and her lips had lost its true red. From that alone, Kris knew that the healing process would be slow – she had made little progress even under Lay’s care but without magic, antiseptic and fresh gauze were the only things that Soojung could rely on for healing – that, and her own body.

“Does it feel any better?” D.O. asked gently as he offered her a glass of water. He knew it was nothing compared to the fresh blood that she needed at that moment but it would have to suffice, given the circumstances they were under.

It was almost like the question didn’t register in her mind because she made no effort to move. Instead, she continued to stare ahead through half-lidded and tired eyes. If the princes hadn’t known Soojung for almost fifty years, they would’ve thought she was simply staring blankly ahead but knowing her, she had her eyes fixed on Sehun in the opposite corner.

He sat, folded over his legs so that his head rested in his hands and though they couldn’t see his face, they sensed his suppressed agitation. He had barely uttered a word after he reported what had happened with Soojung and more importantly, what she had said before she passed out. Since she regained consciousness, he hadn’t acknowledged her presence once as he resorted to hiding amidst the shadows.

“Soojung.” Chen attempted to get her attention and succeeded when he placed a gentle hand over her uninjured arm.

“Hmm?” She mumbled as she directed her eyes to his face. It was then that she noticed the glass of water, D.O. was holding out to her and she simply shook her head, “No thanks.”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded before she attempted to sit herself up straighter and instantly Lay was by her side with arms outstretched.

“I’m fine. It’s ok.” Soojung threw him a reassuring glance but Lay proceeded to help adjust her pillow and her blankets with great care. She was in no position to get injured further because though the burn did not pose any life threatening harm, infection would.

“The safe room… The safe room that Professor Lee was talking about in the library, I think that it’s all just a cover up.” Soojung began and instantly, all gazes were fixed on her weak figure. Sehun lifted his head from between his hands ever so slowly.

“Why would you say that?” Kai stepped up to her with sharp eyes and she could almost see the thoughts whirring in his head.

“Soojung, you need rest.” Lay chided but no one seemed to listen to Lay’s advice because any information that helped make sense of the situation was valuable. They were powerless without knowing what exactly had happened and the more they could make sense of things, the better they could handle the situation.

“I was in the basement…” Soojung admitted with the guiltiest expression, “So was Jaehwa… But I don’t know why she turned up-“

“The night shift.” Sehun sighed as he ran his hands over his face – he knew he should have listened to his own instincts, “It was the goddamn night shift.”

Soojung her lips as she saw the blame that crossed Sehun’s face and her heart trembled when she realised that it wasn’t blame for her but blame for himself. He blamed himself for not taking better care of Jaehwa – that was the extent of his feelings for her. In more than a simply superficial romance, Sehun’s feelings for Jaehwa made her everything to him.

The room suddenly felt awfully silent and as she took in the princes’ faces, she made a note to remember how neither of them judged her too quickly. There wasn’t a single trace of hatred or blame that lingered in their brows or the corners of the eyes – there was just patience and the glimmer of forgiveness awaiting her on the other end.

“I was there because Clara challenged me; because she said that if I turned up at the basement then…” She pursed her lips together in embarrassment, “Then it’d give me official access to their group and she hated me, you know? She treated me like I wish and I went, thinking I could prove something to her…” She sighed when they still gave no response, “I know it was stupid but I wanted to be a part of something… a part of something when it felt like… when it felt like everything we had was breaking apart.” She uttered the last part and the princes stared back at her with wide-eyes.

“Soojung, you are part of us.” Luhan stepped forward and smiled at her through

Please log in to read the full chapter