Chapter VIII

Last Stand
AD XX95, 1 June, 10.16PM, Centurion Forest Zone 9.
 
Hearing and noticing the distant explosion, Ji Hyo nodded to herself.So far everything has gone according to plan. The patrols in the area should be swarming here soon..As she thought of that, she grimaced. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to use Jong Kook as a distraction since it was his first time. Guess I'll just make it up to him later during the festival then.
 
As she continued to advance forward steathily, several thoughts went through her mind. It has been a very long time since the Running Man family has been this...alive. Everybody from the team had a untellable history that always haunt them, causing a distant yet close relationship. However, when Jong Kook came in, it seemed as though spring has arrived again. Everybody started smiling again, this time with emotion instead of their fake, emotionless smiles that pretended that everything was fine. The edge of curved slightly upwards as she prayed that this period will be able to last forever.
 
Several minutes after advancement, Ji Hyo came to a stop. It was too quiet, there should have been at least some sightings of other patrols given the commotion just now.. unless..
 
She closed her eyes and started concentrating on her other senses. By reading how the weak electromagnetic waves emitted by her is being deflected when in contact with solids, she noticed the presence of a group of people hiding in the shadows, preparing for ambush. When she had a rough grasp of the number of people in ambush, she immediately opened her eyes in shock.
 
She gingerly took out her walkie talkie and whispered to it, *Jae Suk hyung, we have a problem here. I have been found.. and they don't seem to be very welcoming to me. I'm going to need you to help support my back.*
 
Immediately afterward, chaos broke out. Ji Hyo slammed her palms onto the ground, releasing a huge discharge of electricity which ran in every direction. Those who reacted quickly jumped off the ground, those who didn't suffered serious electrocution which left them temporarily paralysed. 
 
Realising that they have been found out, the opponents wasted no time retaliating. The entire area turned into a war zone. Flames were exploding everywhere and lightning bolts were arcing into space. It was painfully obvious that Ji Hyo wasn't going to last with such overwhelming differences in number even though she had the skills...at least it should have been.
 
Every few seconds, someone was shot down from an untraceable origin. Ji Hyo smiled to herself, relieved that she had Jae Suk at her back whereas the opponents were screaming, "Where is the sniper?! Why is there no gunshot sounds?!"
 
----------------------------------
 
AD XX95, 1 June, 10.20PM, Centurion Forest Zone 1
 
Hearing the anguish cries from the enemies over the walkie talkie, Jae Suk snickered. Of course you can't hear anything let alone trace me.. I'm sniping over 20kilometre from Zone 1 with inbuilt suppression barrel specially customised by Haha to the boot. Though the tranquilizer shots just knocks you out, you will still be in for a lot of pain if you get hit by them.
 
-------------------------------------
 
AD XX95, 1 June, 10.25PM, Centurion Forest Zone 9
 
With Jae Suk covering Ji Hyo's back while she rampaged, the tides were slowly turning around into her favour, albeit with her accumulating damages and fatigue
 
However, all of a sudden, the shots made by Jae Suk was shattering against an invisible wall and a yell came over the walkie talkie, "Ji Hyo, quickly get out of there! Eric is approaching from 9' o clock!"
 
With the last word that came over the walkie talkie, a man appeared from the clearings. "Its too late. He is already here.", Ji Hyo whispered into the walkie talkie while staring at Eric.
 
After glancing around at the fallen allies and Ji Hyo's wound, Eric greeted her with a tone that seeed to be savoring ever word that came out, "..It has been a long time since we last met isn't it, Ji Hyo?"
 
"Get lost" was the only reply he received accompanied with a hateful stare.
 
"Now now, that shouldn't be how you should be treating your old friend isn't it?" he replied with amusement with an underlying tone that implied that she wouldn't be let off again if she gave such attitude again.
 
"..What do you want" she gritted her teeth and started to fidget.
 
"Why to invite you back into our guild again of course. I seriously hope that you are not going to reject it though." He replied as if matter-of-fact without even caring about the other party's opinion on the matter.
 
"..This is why I have always hated you, you pompous, arrogant narcissist who doesn't care about other people's opinion. You should have already known about my reply even before you opened your mouth. I will never come back to your guild." She replied while shooting a lightning bolt at him to make her point.
 
However, Eric simply just sidestepped the lightning bolt. "Well then, I guess I'm not sorry for what is about to happen to you then."
 
He announced smoothly to the people around him, "Get up you useless pieces of trash. Get her on her knees infront of me or else.." and punched a whole into a nearby tree to leave the threat hanging in the air.
 
Frightened by the threat, everybody started to get up and fight again with renewed vigor. Without Jae Suk's assistance, she was slowly overwhelmed by the numbers which closed in all around her.
 
"Don't bother, Jae Suk hyung. I set up runes to create a boundary in this area, so stop wasting your bullets." Eric directed to the walkie talkie on Ji Hyo's hip while looking at Jae Suk's direction as he noticed bullets shattering at the invisible wall beside him.
 
---------------------------
 
AD XX95, 1 June, 10.45PM, Centurion Forest Zone 9
 
Even though Jae Suk knew that he wouldn't be able to smash through the barrier with the current ammunition he has and provide assistance to Ji Hyo, he continued to shoot relentlessly nonetheless. This is bad, really bad! How could I have let this occur?! "Haha, quickly summon Jong Kook, Kwang Soo and Suk Jin hyung to quickly back Ji Hyo up! Tell Gary to continue his mission no matter what happens!"
 
Please stay safe Ji Hyo.. was the only thought he could mustered as he saw Ji Hyo finally succumbing to the fight through his scope.
 
---------------------
 
AD XX95, 1 June, 10.50PM, Centurion Forest Zone 9
 
"Really, if only you'd just agree to come back. You shouldn't be wasting your talents in such an useless guild like Running Man, you know?" Eric muttered as he squatted down to caress Ji Hyo's bloodied face.
 
"..Screw..you.." she weakly replied before spitting blood at his face.
 
Wiping the blood off his face, Eric replied. "Since you are rejecting my generous offer, I take it that you are prepared for the consequences aren't you?". "To be honest, I was hoping that you would reject it. I've been waiting for a long time for this day ever since you left me with this good-bye present." His lips twitching ever upwards, which was definitely not a smiling expression while he gingerly touched a burn scar on his forearm.
 
"If you are going to still be part of them, I will just have to make it so that you will never lift your head and go into battle" he cooly stated while picking up a dagger.
 
"..What are..you doing..?" Ji Hyo murmured even though she knew the answers with her eyes opened as wide as they could as she stared at the dagger.
 
"Nothing much. I just want to repay you a favour..by giving you a scar on your face." He smiled with the dagger starting to glow red after having run characters enscribed on it. "Now then, feel freeto scream however loud you want."
 
As the dagger continuously shortens the distance between them, Ji Hyo tried to struggle away from the two goon's grasp behind her but to no avail. "No..stop it..stop it please..!" She screamed as loud as she could with her now hoarse voice and tears leaking out from her eyes.
 
At this moment, a high-pitched sound resembling glass breaking could be heard accompanied with a wave of suffocating heavy, intense killing aura to turn around and look at the source, including Eric.
 
With a fake grin, veins popping out visibly on his head and his fists trembling with blood, his normal voice dropped a few octaves lower. "What game are you guys playing?"
 

I'm sorry that it has been a long time since I've posted due to my school life, hope that I will still be able to update occasionally with my hectic exam schedules in front of me.

Anyway, I kind of tweaked around with my writing styles as suggested by one of my friends. Hopefully you guys like it.

Regarding Ji Hyo and Eric(I wont' really be using any korean name because i'm scared their fans might rage about it), their histories will probably be revealed later on?