Chapter IV

Last Stand

AD XX75, September 11, Hapcheon

Winter had arrived, and countless of snow flakes were drifting through the air. At a glance, the village gave off a calming, tranquil sense of haven, cut off from the world where everywhere were over-runned by demons. Children were playing about the snow, throwing snowballs at each other even though their parents were calling them back. Amongst them, two children carrying logs and fishes in seperate baskets trudging through the snow with tattered clothings stood out the most. 

"Kwang Soo ah, is that heavy? Do you need help?"

"Neh hyung, its alright, you are already carrying most of the stuffs so don't worry about me" Kwang Soo replied cheerfully

"Hahaha... our Kwang Soo is all Grown up. He can do things by himself already huh?"

"Aniyo hyung, I still have a lot to catch up... but do you think these will last us through winter?" Kwang Soo asked worrily as he glanced at the items they are carrying.

"Hmm.. you don't have to worry about that, hyung is planning to find work tomorrow, so that even if the river freeze up, we will still have food"

"If thats the case, I want to work too, I want to be like hyung" Kwang Soo said with sparkling eyes.

"Haha.. you are still too young for that, and we still need you take care of omma okay? She is getting weaker by the day"

"But....alright hyung, I will listen to you" Kwang Soo grumbled

"Thats our Kwang Soo, lets hurry home shall we? Omma must be worried"

Upon arriving home, as the two kids stepped into the house compound, they could faintly hear a man's voice, "---exterminate the village". Upon hearing that voice, Kwang Soo's brother raised his eyebrows and had a serious expression which frightened Kwang Soo.

Kwang Soo's brother told him to stay there and immediately placed the baskets down before rushing into the room. As soon as Kwang Soo's brother entered the room, a fight and a quarrel broke up. Being 7 year old at that time, Kwang Soo was paralysed with fear from the racket he heard. After what seems like an eternity, the commotion ceased with the sounds of his omma's cries starting to fill the place.

Immediately afterwards, the door slammed open with a man coated in black suit walking behind Kwang Soo's brother who had bruises all over his face. Behind the duo lies his omma, one hand clutching her chest and another hand reaching towards his brother, crying hysterically.

As his brother passed by him with a solemn and sad expression, he whispered to Kwang Soo's ear, "Please promise hyung that you will take care of omma alright?" before walking out of the house. It took Kwang Soo few moments to snap out of his daze before he ran to his hyung. "Hyung! Where are you going?! Don't leave us!!", though he was replied with a silence.

Seeing that begging was futile, Kwang Soo ran to the man coated heavily in black suit and repeated hit him albeit his weak strength. " Where are you taking my hyung?! Let him go!" though he met with a gaze that Kwang Soo thought that was humanly impossible before receiving a smack across his face, which sent him flying across the snow.

"Stop it! I've already agreed to follow you, so please... don't hurt my family anymore.." Kwang Soo's brother tearfully begged the man in black.

Lying on the snow, unable to stand up, Kwang Soo wailed and screamed for his brother as his silhouette disappeared in the mist. Ever since then, Kwang Soo decided to follow his hyung last instruction with his life, until that event occurred.

-------

AD XX76, January 15, Kwang Soo's house

"Omma, please eat some food okay? Hyung doesn't want to see you like this..." Kwang Soo said with his tear being held back when he saw how his omma was crying again.

Suddenly, the door slammed opened with a muscular man with tattoos all over his body carrying a luggage walking in.

"Hey darling, your son is dead. He kept opposing and refusing me and ended up like this" before throwing the luggage across the room, in front of them.

Kwang Soo's slowly opened the luggage with his trembling hands, at which caused his omma to faint at the sight of the body. "Well, that's that. I'm done here" The man declared before strutting out of the house.

"WHY YOU?! WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY HYUNG?!" Kwang Soo charged towards at him and tackled him... but was sent flying back with a flick on his forehead before he could even reach him.

"Hey kid, a warning from me. If you want to protect your omma, sometimes its better to go along with others" the man said with a snicker before disappearing

. ------------------------

AD XX95,  May 17, Running Man Base

"Afterwards we conducted a funeral for hyung, and ever since then, many things happened such as omma's health had been rapidly deteriorating along with many other things which eventually led me to join Running Man." Kwang Soo said with a apologetic tone.

"Since you said that your hyung died, why did you assume that he is your hyung?" Ji Hyo asked after listening to the entire story.

"I can't really explain it.. but his scent and his face resembles my hyung and for some reason, I feel a bond with him.."Kwang Soo racked his hair and said

"But.. that isn't a concrete evidence that he is your hyung" Suk Jin gently reminded him.

"When we were young, omma gave him a present, a necklace with a precious stone said to ward off bad luck. When I was waking him up, i saw the exact same necklace on him.." Kwang Soo replied while staring at the necklace lying on top of Jong Kook's chest.

"But still.. a dead man coming back to life..? I don't think thats possible Kwang Soo" Gary said.

"Furthermore, their name doesn't match. His name is Kim Jong Kook" Jae Suk added

"I don't know what is what anymore..." Kwang Soo murmured

At this time, as Jong Kook was starting to wake up, the Running Man members decided to end the conversation at there.

"I guess there is more than what meets the eye huh.." Jae Suk pondered to himself

---------------------

AD XX95, May 20, 3pm, Running Man Base

"When Kwang Soo was asked to vote whether if Jong Kook could stay or not, he went hysterical about getting him to stay, which stumped Jae Suk hyung and at the same time prevented them for opposing anymore" Ji Hyo muttered off handedly.

"I hope Kwang Soo knows that Jong Kook and his hyung are two different person... even though we tried to convince him a lot he doesn't seem to get it.." Suk Jin replied

"But isn't this a good thing? Kwang Soo lost his brother and now Jong Kook can help subsitute him and give Kwang Soo the brotherly love he yearned for" Haha stated

--------------

AD XX95, May 20, 11pm, Outskirt of Running Man Base

"--apparently a new member named Jong Kook has joined Running Man, what should I do?" ??? reported to the shadow.

"Just continue doing what you have always been doing... you should know what will happen if you fail." The other party replied through the shadow.

"Yeh, I understand. I'll do as you wish" ??? replied

 


 

Sorry for deviating from spartace in this chapter, but this chapter will be quite important (if i successfully managed to type out what i want to convey).