2

1851

The warm fire illuminated the somber room with a soft orange glow. Its warmth quickly spread to the guests, who were already feeling the slight buzz of alcohol. Yongguk entered, arm in arm with Jieun. He cut through the subdued crowd, hoping to get a spot in the middle. He knew, well as any other good socialite, that people would talk to him if he was in the center.

 

It was the second gathering the duke had thrown in the span of a week. The room was smaller as was the number of guests, but nonetheless elaborate. Yongguk had debated coming, but he had immediately thought of the possibility that Mr. Kim could be attending, and had to drag Jieun with him. He looked over at his wife who wore a look of sheer boredom. Her face was taught with thoughts that she kept to herself and her lips were pressed in a thin line. Her hollow eyes washed over the décor, refusing to look at Yongguk. In their younger days, she used to keep her eyes glued to him like he was the most important thing in the world. They would be nervous and anxious to get home and make love until morning. But this had changed, and Yongguk couldn’t find his connection to her anymore. She was distant and cold, bored with this life already.

 

Biting the inside of his cheek, he tore his gaze from his wife and looked around the room. His eyes searched without relent the crowd for a mop of neatly styled black hair.

 

“Mrs. Bang!” A slim woman in a light pink dress approached the couple. Yongguk had a vague memory of her name, perhaps it was Hyosung. She extended her arm to Jieun and pulled her aside, letting Yongguk exhale in relief. He felt free to look for Mr. Kim in full liberty without having to face the nagging questions of Jieun.

 

He walked slowly towards a waiter, grabbing a drink gingerly off of the tray. Tapping his fingers lightly against the cold glass he continued his silent search. The young lawyer had been on his mind all week, impossible to weed him out. He needed him, for a reason he couldn’t quite explain. It seemed like Mr. Kim had taken a bite of his heart and ran away with it, and Yongguk desperately needed it back.

 

Yongguk’s eyes landed on Mr. Kim, who was sitting casually in a leather couch besides the fireplace and a grandiose grandfather clock. He wore a svelte black suit and a slight smirk on his face as his eyes met Yongguk’s. He broke eye contact to take a sip of champagne, slowly and painfully, making Yongguk’s insides burn with desire.

 

The young bourgeois was unsure of how this mutual attraction had formed; the careful batting of eyelashes, soft breaths, Mr. Kim’s creamy skin, this silent game of lust that they played with each other. Yongguk swallowed thickly as Mr. Kim’s gaze landed back on him, tracing him slowly as if undressing him with his eyes.

 

“Beautiful isn’t he?” A suave, heavily accented voice whispered in Yongguk’s ear, sending a slight shiver down his spine. Yongguk turned to face the owner of the voice; a young aristocrat from Nice who had settled in Bordeaux to sell wine in a similar fashion to Yongguk. Yongguk felt heat fill his eyes as they seized up his competitor. He and Jung Daehyun had a long history of quarrelling, often bitterly, over business.

 

Yongguk followed Daehyun’s gaze which pierced right through Mr. Kim and beyond to the grandfather clock a little ways behind him. Yongguk felt his muscles relax as Daehyun hadn’t noticed the flirty exchanged between the two men. “Quite.” He contested, not taking his eyes off Mr. Kim.

 

“How is Mrs. Bang?” Daehyun asked in his southern French accent. His skin was tanner than most attendee’s, and his dark blue suit contrasted finely with it. Mr. Jung was only three years younger than Yongguk, but he was almost as successful. Yongguk accredited it to his annoyingly handsome face, but he also had to admit that Daehyun had a way with words. Sometimes he wanted nothing more than to talk with Daehyun, bring him close, and treat him as a friend. But Yongguk knew better. Jung Daehyun was dangerous and would stop at nothing to destroy Yongguk.  

 

“She is doing well.” Yongguk replied curtly.

 

“Excellent. And your son, Youngjae?” Daehyun asked his empty questions. Yongguk had no doubt that he didn’t care.

 

“Very well, too. He will be six months old in a couple of weeks. And Mrs. Jung?” Yongguk turned to Daehyun, after painfully tearing his gaze from Mr. Kim.

 

Daehyun let out a short laugh, his features crinkling in amusement. He brought up his ring hand and wiggled his fingers in the empty air. There was no ring on his finger, and Yongguk immediately realized the man was still single. “I apologize, I thought that young lady…Lee Jieun? Was with you now.”

 

“Not yet, Mr. Bang, we’re trying not to rush things.” Daehyun’s eyebrow’s arched towards Yongguk’s own Jieun as if to comment on their deteriorating relationship. Surely it wasn’t apparent to the public? Yongguk chased that thought out of his mind and decided that it was Daehyun’s horribly sharp wit and knack for toying with people’s minds that was at play here.

 

“Well, I do expect an invitation to the wedding before I die.” Yongguk replied with a bit of spice, to act as if he hadn’t been shaken by Daehyun’s passive-aggressive actions. 

 

“Certainly, Mr. Bang.” The young Niceois bowed his head slightly, hiding the sly smile that was spreading across his face.

 

Yongguk hummed sympathetically and looked back towards the seat Mr. Kim had been sitting in. It was now void of presence and Yongguk felt his stomach lurch slightly.  The leather still bore Mr. Kim’s imprint and Yongguk could tell that he had just left, and there was a chance he could find him still at the party.

 

“It’s been a pleasure, as usual, Mr. Jung. But if you will please excuse me for one moment.” He ran his fingers daintily over Daehyun’s shoulders as he pushed past him. Daehyun shuffled back and let Yongguk go without much complaint.

 

Yongguk made his way past the warm bodies heated by the giant hearth fire. He silently slid past with his head hung low, scouring the crowd for Mr. Kim.  His feet led him to the double French doors that led to a balcony with a breathtaking view. He discreetly shot a look over his shoulder before slipping through the doors.

 

The mid-May night air was still and calm, a soft breeze carving its way through the elaborate gardens. Yongguk had been to Versailles on several occasions, and he could honestly compare the duke’s to the beautiful gardens of Versailles. The elegant, snaking bushes that patterned out gracefully on the gravel, the smell of orange blossoms, and the small fountains procuring a soothing white noise all reminded him of a mini Versailles. But all the beauty in the world could not make him take his eyes off the young law student who was hunched over the railing, exhaling softly into the dark sky.

 

Yongguk approached Mr. Kim with cautious footsteps, stationing his body mere centimeters away. “Mr. Kim-“

 

“Please, call me Himchan.”

 

Yongguk stopped speaking, his eyes searching Himchan’s. He took a step closer, pinning Himchan against the railing, his eyes never leaving the law student’s. But the younger man didn’t flinch; he too locked eyes with Yongguk. Yongguk had never faced such defiance. A buzzing feeling traveled through his body as he accepted Himchan’s small challenge. They stood in suspended time, tension crackling through the air as each party tried to determine if their feelings were mutual. 

 

The sudden metallic sound of Himchan’s belt scraping the railing snapped Yongguk’s gaze from the younger. “I-I apologize.” He coughed lightly.

 

“For what?” Himchan smiled, his eyes shining under the moonlight. His small pink tongue flickered momentarily over his lips, moistening them seductively.

 

“You have an appealing aura.” Yongguk growled into Himchan’s ear, ignoring his question.

 

“As do you.” Himchan blinked slowly and placed his hands on Yongguk’s own belt, pulling him in closer in a swift and accurate movement.

 

“I’ve been thinking about you all week.” Yongguk admitted.

 

Himchan said nothing. His hands roamed curiously over the front of Yongguk’s torso, pressing down firmly on his abs. His hands slithered up Yongguk’s body until they found the collar of his shirt. He gave a dry tug and brought Yongguk’s ear to his mouth. “Good to know I wasn’t the only one.”

 

The startling sound of the French doors opening made Yongguk jolt away from Himchan as if he had suddenly become red-hot. Yongguk nodded politely to the guests who filed out on the balcony to enjoy the view. He gave a side glance to Himchan, who was also politely smiling.

 

“Mr. Bang, Mr. Kim. It’s nice to see you here.” Lord Choi himself approached the couple.  Yongguk cursed inwardly at how his private time with Himchan had been cut off.

 

He took this silent moment to analyze Himchan, however. The way Himchan had appeared stubborn and slightly sassy made Yongguk’s body tingle with excitement. People were always such a bore, sometimes they were even borderline afraid of Yongguk. But Himchan wasn’t afraid of Yongguk; in fact he was almost impertinent towards Yongguk, which Yongguk enjoyed. Himchan was a challenge. He was puzzle that Yongguk craved to solve, to relieve him of his boring life. He wanted to take Himchan apart piece by piece, to destroy him and build him back up.

 

“Likewise, Lord Choi.” Himchan smiled grandly and then looked back towards Yongguk, dark eyes concentrated on him. 

 

“Junhong, you are an excellent host.” Yongguk bowed his head. “My wife and I find your parties extremely enjoyable.”

 

“I suppose that’s why you came back.” Junhong smiled slightly. No, it wasn’t the reason Yongguk came back, but he was willing to let Junhong have the benefit of the doubt. “I see you and Mr. Kim are talking, I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

 

“Not at all. I was just starting to get to know Mr. Kim a little better.” Yongguk pursed his lips. He wanted to get to know Himchan until he had every inch of his skin memorized; its touch, its taste, its smell.

 

“Ah yes, Mr. Kim is a very interesting person, I’m sure you’ll have a lot to talk about.” Junhong contested.

 

“I’m sure.” Yongguk smirked.

 

“The night is still young, Mr. Bang.” Himchan arched a subtle eyebrow towards Yongguk.

 

Junhong laughed and parted with the couple, patting Himchan on the shoulder before rejoining the warmth of the party indoors.