12

1851

Yongguk planted his lips on Youngjae’s tiny cheek, adjusting the collar on his own shirt. His fingers worked quickly over the fabric as he prepared for another evening.  It had been a week since the fourteenth, and he hadn’t gone to any Lord Choi’s events in that time. He had spent his nights weaving in and out of his house to see Himchan at his hotel. But tonight he had been specially invited by Lord Choi himself; so he had no choice but to attend his social event. They were getting repetitive, but Yongguk knew they were important for business and advertising.

“Are you sure you’re staying in tonight?” Yongguk looked to Jieun. Her face appeared long, slightly grey. Her eyes were marked with black smudges underneath them. Her cracked, white lips trembled as she spoke.

“I’m not feeling well.” She waved her hand. “Besides, don’t you get tired of doing this over and over?”

“Please rest well.” Yongguk held her face in his warm hands. “Oh Jieun. I do. But this case is draining my money and I need more support. These functions really help.”

Jieun nodded, loose strands of brown swaying in front of her tired face. “Please tell Hyosung that I wish her a lovely evening if you see her.”

“Of course.” Yongguk ran his hand through his hair. Her gaze, shiny and vacant, followed his movements as he made his way slowly towards the door. Yongguk felt nervous again, the anxiety of attending an event without his wife was coming back to him.   

“You don’t have to go.” Jieun suddenly laced her fingers around Yongguk’s collar, grabbing it tightly.  Her head was tilted up, her eyes searched his in a begging way. Her tongue her dry lips shyly as she waited for Yongguk’s answer.

He wrapped his arms around her thin waist and kissed her gently, a cold sensation invading his lips. “You’re freezing.” Yongguk ran his fingers across her white lips.

Jieun’s face contorted in confusion, as she brought her hands to her lips. “I don’t feel cold. I just feel a bit tired.”

Yongguk stared at the thin woman before him. A flash of guilt flushed his face red as he realized how selfish he had been. He had wanted Jieun to come with him to the events to act as a shield from society’s eye, and he hadn’t realized how inconsiderate of her he had been. But he couldn’t escape the sinking feeling that was slowly eating at their relationship. As he was falling deeper and deeper in love with Himchan, he and Jieun’s love had slowly started to wither away. To Yongguk, however, their relationship had been falling apart long before Himchan’s appearance. Yongguk saw Himchan as a sort of deliverer. Only with Himchan, could he realize just how broken their relationship had become.

“I…I can stay if you would like.” Yongguk dropped his hands into hers, feeling each individual bone as he softly massaged them.

“Why? Where are you going?” Jieun’s expression was blank.

Yongguk frowned in confusion “Jieun I told you-“

“Lord Choi’s event. That’s right, Yongguk, you need to go.” She put a hand to her forehead, a slight gasp leaving her lips. “I’m so forgetful.” She laughed nervously, filling the room with an eerie sound that bounced around the dark room in an echo.  Her eyes narrowed as she looked back to Yongguk. “It would be impolite to be late.”

“Yes. It would.” Yongguk watched her shimmy out of his hand and turn to face the staircase.  Yongguk wondered what he had just witnessed. It was as if Jieun had been absent from her own body momentarily, losing herself to her fatigue.

The young bourgeois frowned and made his way towards the door. He would come home as fast as he could.

*

Hot breath on his skin was driving Yongguk wild. Himchan’s nipping teeth sent blissful waves through his body. “Himchan.” Yongguk moaned as the younger man continued to bite him lovingly. “You’ll leave a mark.”

“What if I want to?” Himchan pressed his palms on Yongguk’s slightly exposed chest and tilted his head up to face Yongguk in the eye. A smirk formed on his sinful lips as he began to dig his nails into Yongguk’s strong chest.

“I know you do.” Yongguk whispered in Himchan’s ear. “I want you to, too. But we have to be at Lord Choi’s soon.” Yongguk inhaled softly as he ran his hands up Himchan’s clothed arms, stopping at his shoulders.

“I hate Lord Choi.” Himchan pouted and stole a chaste kiss from Yongguk, who was grinning down at Himchan. His silky fingers closed each button on Yongguk’s collared shirt, covering the lusty red scratches he had left. He his lips and lifted his feline eyes back up at Yongguk, blinking slowly.

“Is that so?” Yongguk hummed as he kissed Himchan’s jaw gently.

“Mhm.”

A sudden banging of the trashcans startled the couple. Yongguk cupped his hand around Himchan’s mouth and pinned him against the brick wall. He turned his head to see if anyone had ventured into the small alley, holding his breath as long as possible.

“It’s just a cat.” Yongguk sighed in relief, taking his hand off of Himchan’s soft lips. “We should get going before someone really finds us.” Yongguk narrowed his eyes and tried to adjust to the darkness. The alley was tiny and cold, right behind Himchan’s hotel. Nobody ever came in unless they were too drunk to even think. Or, like Himchan and Yongguk, if they were avoiding society’s eyes. At the entrance of the alley, Yongguk could see the faint street lights of Bordeaux, illuminating the city as its nightlife began to wake. The gentle bustle of the town echoed softly through the backstreet and reminded Yongguk that there was a real world out there; a world that he soon would have to face.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Himchan nodded kissing Yongguk’s temple before leaving for Lord Choi’s estate.

“I’ll see you soon.” Yongguk smiled and watched Himchan walk towards the exit. “Himchan… wait.”

Himchan turned around with questioning eyes. Yongguk grabbed Himchan’s wrist and pulled him in close, his lips centimeters from his. “I love you.” He kissed Himchan’s swollen lips before drawing back with a mischievous smile, enjoying the sweet taste that lingered on his tongue.

“Cheeky bastard.” Himchan muttered, but his smiling face betrayed his words.

*

A thick cloud of cigar smoke welcomed Yongguk as he set foot in Lord Choi’s estate. It had become like a second home to him. The black and white tiled floor was well washed and glistened gracefully under the chandeliers. Yongguk noted the tapestries that were hung on the wall; he had always been slightly jealous of Junhong because they were gorgeous pieces of art. Not that he would ever admit it to the duke. Walking down the familiar hall, he noticed that Lord Choi had added a portrait of his father to the off-white wall. It hung awkwardly between two tapestries depicting the Garonne at different times of the day.

“Do you like it?” Junhong towered next to Yongguk, his head tilted sideways in admiration of the portrait.

“Yes. It looks nice.” Yongguk answered flatly.

“Well that makes one of us.” Junhong smiled. “But I guess you were just being polite.”

Yongguk eyed the duke carefully, observing his wide chocolate eyes.

“Where is Mrs. Bang?” Junhong sighed, changing the subject nonchalantly. “She hasn’t been here in a while.”

“She is not feeling well.” Yongguk narrowed his eyes on the portrait, taking in the gentle brushstrokes that graced the painting.

“It sure has been a while. I hope she’s doing alright.”

“I don’t know, she seems to be getting more and more tired these days.” Yongguk dropped his eyes onto the black and white floor.

Yongguk felt Junhong’s gaze searing into him as if he didn’t fully believe him. “You don’t seem to believe me.” The young bourgeois addressed the look on Junhong’s face, he was tired of the games people played with him.

“I’d hate to doubt you,” Junhong shifted on his feet, his long purple coat swaying gently with his movements. “But you and Mrs. Bang do seem to be very distant from each other. Perhaps there is another issue?”

“Lord Choi…” Yongguk gasped at Junhong’s sudden bluntness. “What would make you think that anything else is going on?”

“There have been some quite unsettling rumors about you, Mr. Bang.” Junhong inhaled sharply, looking to other guests before letting his gaze rest suspiciously on Yongguk. His lips were slightly pouted and his eyebrows were arched in the young bourgeois’ direction, as if he already knew what Yongguk’s answer was going to be.

“I am not aware of these.” Yongguk shrugged subtly.

Junhong ran his tongue over his teeth and sighed. He put his large hand on Yongguk’s shoulder and guided him towards the main room. The duo walked together, slowly, towards the main room where guests were enjoying themselves. Yongguk caught sight of Himchan and Daehyun talking by the balcony doors. Himchan was the same as when Yongguk had left him an hour earlier. His suit was slightly crinkled from their encounter and his hair was pushed back a bit further, courtesy of Yongguk’s passionate, wandering hands.  Daehyun stood elegantly by Himchan’s side, his plump lips curved in a knowing smirk.

“How is the case going with Mr. Jung?” Junhong waved his hand in direction of the Niceois.

“I suppose it’s going as well as any case can go.” 

“I am afraid to say that Mr. Jung has expressed some rather concerning issues regarding your relationship with his lawyer.” Junhong drank his champagne, letting the opaque beige liquid slide down his throat before continuing. “Romantic relationship.”

“Junhong, how does that make sense?” Yongguk felt his throat tighten.

“It seems like Mr. Jung has witnessed some…display of affection between you and Mr. Kim. It seems like you and your wife have been growing distant as well.” Junhong turned his gaze back to the Niceois.

“Junhong.”

“Yongguk. I really like you. But I cannot tolerate affairs in my court.” The young duke sniffed. “I will not let my father’s lifestyle affect the way I run my court.”

Junhong gripped his glass tightly, turning his eyes back to Yongguk. “Tell me it isn’t true.” His eyes searched Yongguk’s pleadingly. He nibbled his pink lips nervously, anticipating Yongguk’s answer.  

“Lord Choi, it’s more complicated than-“

“It’s a yes or no answer, Yongguk.” Junhong sighed. His eyebrows came together in disbelief.  “Are you or are you not romantically involved with Kim Himchan?” Junhong already knew the answer, but he refused to believe it until he heard Yongguk say it. The duke squeezed his eyes shut, as if bracing himself for the answer that he knew was inevitable; but deep within him there was still a hope that he was wrong, that he had made the wrong assumptions. 

Yongguk brought his sweaty hands to his forehead, not helping to remove the sweat that had beaded there. Hyosung’s words about adultery looped through his mind mockingly. She had warned him, but he had brushed it off. He drew a shaky breath before turning to face Junhong.

“Lord Choi, your father requests an immediate audience with you.” A butler leaned into Junhong’s ear and delivered his message. His face was unexpressive, but his words were hurried and stressed.

Junhong pursed his lips in annoyance “Let’s talk about this some other time, Mr. Bang.” The duke gave Yongguk another deadly glance before turning to follow the butler.

Yongguk saw spots dancing in his vision, his mind slowly becoming numb.  Coming here had been a mistake, and Yongguk was realizing that he had best leave before the duke came back. Sweat came down in thick drops from his temple as he made his way to the refreshments table. He knew full well the dangers of alcohol; but his fingers gripped on desperately to a glass of pinkish liquid and brought it to his quivering lips. As he drank he felt the world around him slowing down. The only sounds that filled the room were his slow heartbeats.

Yongguk eyed the other glasses on the table. Their intoxicating glimmer under the light drew his interest. His throat was dry and his insatiable thirst was beginning to take over his mind. 

A few more glasses wouldn’t hurt.