Silver

The Beauty and the Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saehee cried out as her foot caught on the thick branch of a tree, causing her to fall forward and bang her knee. "." The innocent one was no more as she cursed and dusted herself off and resumed her run. She was getting closer and closer to the cliff, but she paled as she saw the jagged rocks that lined the bottom. She cursed and hitched up her dress and carefully began to pick her way up the slope. 

She paused on a thin ledge to catch her breath. She took out a water bottle and gulped down a mouthful. She sighed as her heartbeat finally came to a regular beat. She let her legs hang over the edge as she rested her back against the hard rock. She looked over the surroundings. She was high, high enough to see the treetops, but not high enough to see through the thick foliage. 

She sighed and gathered herself before turning around and walking back to where her pack was. As she reached for her belongings, she stiffened as she heard a low growl from behind her. Her hand twitched and slipped up her dress to grab a hold of the handle of the knife. She slowly turned around, almost screaming at what she saw. 

A russet wolf, stood a few meters away, its back arches and its fur bristling in warning. She held her breath and slowly backed off. At her movement, the wolf gave a sharp growl and snapped its teeth at her. Its golden eyes bore into hers, watching her every move and daring her to attack. Suddenly, its gaze shifted to something behind her. 

In its distracted moment, she dared to take another step back, but her foot caught on a sharp rock and she fell backwards with a short yelp. The wolf let out a roar and launched itself toward her. She screamed and yanked the knife out and held it toward the wolf as it leaped in the air toward her. 

She felt the tip of the blade touch its skin as she squeezed her eyes shut. But instead of feeling a pair of jaws snapping at her defenseless body, she felt the ground shake as the wolf landed behind her. 

She opened her eyes and scrambled backwards to see that the russet one had leaped in the middle. Another few meters away, a tan wolf also bared its teeth and let out a growl, menace dripping from its gaze. It momentarily flickered its gaze on Saehee sitting a few paces away from the russet wolf and snapped its teeth. 

The russet wolf growled and roared in response. 

Saehee was immobilized. She knew if she moved, she would die. She watched as the tan wolf tried to move closer to her, but the russet wolf growled and snapped its teeth. The tan one backed away for a moment, but began to advance with even more anger and menace. Saehee frowned and gaped. The wolf....its....its...protecting me? From another wolf? She looked down at the knife in her hand and the blood that decorated the sharp tip of it. Her gaze raked over the wolf's torso, finally finding the small flash of bright red against its already dark burgundy fur. The cut was neither deep nor long, so that barely any blood seeped out from the wound. 

But Saehee knew she had cut the wolf with silver. If it was a werewolf, it would probably die if it didn't have any medical aid. If it was just a regular wolf, well, then it would heal with time and she was screwed. But deep inside, Saehee knew she had wounded her savior. 

The russet wolf slightly turned its h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter