009: Tips

miyoung's guide into the idol world

This story was meant to be a guide, but I haven't written anything that tells you how to become an idol. Oh, dear. Sooooo, this chapter will be mainly about what to do in order to get ready for an audition and what to expect.

 

Tip #1: Don't be nervous.

Of course, being nervous is something you can't really avoid, but try not to make it obvious that you're about to pee your pants. I've said this many times before that the judges (and other auditionees) can smell your fear and showing them that you're nervous will only work against you. When auditioning, have the "I'm a trainee" mindset in your head rather than a "crap, I'm auditioning to be a trainee." If you go in and audition with the mindset that you're already a trainee, it'll make you look less nervous and confident (which will gain the judges' attention).

Tip #2: Pick a song that matches your style.

If you're auditioning as a singer and the style that fits you most is a K-will-esque songs, then you wouldn't want to pick a song like Teen Top's Be Ma Girl, right? The point of an audition is to show the judges that you have talent, so if you are choosing a song that fits your style perfectly, that will only help you. Leave your experimenting at home.

In order words: if you have a delicate voice that is similar to SISTAR's Soyou, you wouldn't want to pick an Ailee type song, right?

Note: There is no doubt that if you were to debut as an idol you'd have to fit in different types of musical styles, but remember that this is just an audition. You can show the judges your different range during an evaluation when you become a trainee.

Tip #3: Focus on yourself.

Okay, yeah. When you go to an open audition, there will be dozens of idol hopefuls around you and you're bound to compare yourself to them and feel as if you're inferior.

Don't.

The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to someone else and tell yourself that they're better and you're not going to make it. Like I said in the first tip, you need to be confident in yourself and abilities. I'm not saying you should insult them, but come to terms with it. It's confusing, yes, but let me explain:

She's prettier than you? Okay, then she can be the visual. She's a better rapper?  She can be the main rapper. She's a better singer? She can be the main vocal. I'm auditioning as a rapper/singer, but she's better? When we both get in, we'll work together to better our talents.

Don't bring them down and don't bring yourself down.

Tip #4: There will always be s.

There will always be those people who think they're better than everyone else because they happen to excel in a certain talent. They're everywhere and extremely hard to ignore (I've experienced them plenty of times before).  These are the people that think that just because they have a voice similar to Taeyeon or Hyorin, they will have every company at their feet just begging them to debut under their company.

When you come in contact with these people, don't retaliate. That will be one of the worst things you can do. When companies decide who will be able to debut, not only will they look at talent and one's determination, they will look at personality. Would a company seriously be willing to invest in someone who has the personality comparable to ? Not really. You want to seem like the bigger person. This also goes for auditions. Don't try to fight with someone who's cocky or arrogant. Leave them alone and their personality will ruin them.

I've actually heard of a trainee being kicked out of the company because he would constantly be caught fighting and smoking (he was underaged). Just because you passed the auditions and have become a trainee, it doesn't mean you won't be kicked out if you do something bad. Think of it like school; if you're caught fighting or doing drugs, you're going to be expelled. It's the same thing as a trainee. You're not really that special.

Tip #5: Don't worry about it.

If you fail an audition, don't let it get to you. Don't feel worthless or embarrassed that you didn't pass. You have plenty of other chances and the fact that you were rejected from one (or a dozen) companies shouldn't faze you. If you honestly want to become an idol because you love music (and not just the existing idols), then you wouldn't give up just because something is in your way, right? Just keep trying and your efforts will definitely pay off in the end.

 

A/N:
This is a rather short and lame chapter, but I hope this helps you all somewhat! I've been busy with school lately (I've completely forgotten about how busy and time-consuming it is to be a full time student...), so I don't really have the time to write a huge chapter about how trainee life is like or tips and tricks and what not.  I just want to take this time to thank all my subscribers and those who have upvoted!! There isn't a huge amount of subscribers, but I guess the smaller you guys are, the easier it is for me to reply back!! Anyways~ thank you for supporting this "story" and commenting! I really appreciate it, you guys!  You're the best!