007: { personal opinion } Plastic Surgery

miyoung's guide into the idol world

Note: This chapter is my personal opinion and I am in no way forcing you to follow my beliefs. This chapter does not include plastic surgeries done to fix facial deformation, only about surgeries to have a "new" look. 
Also, to those that will refute this "chapter" with "you should be happy with the way you look! it's the face and body your parents gave you!", while I respect your opinion, I just want to say that some people aren't confident about how they look to the point where they look at their faces as a complex. I personally don't like the idea of plastic surgery, but if someone wants to get it done to better their self-confidence, then they can do whatever they like because it's their own personal choice.

Plastic surgery. 

Ah, yes, the infamous topic most fans will try to combat with "he/she is natural!" or ignore it completely, whereas antis will constantly use it to show that they're little s make the artist and fans feel bad. Why am I writing about the topic of plastic surgery today? Well, other than the fact that I'm getting a little annoyed by all the shaming some people have done towards those who have had a procedure done, I just want to clarify one thing to you all: plastic surgery is a fairly common thing in South Korea; especially in the entertainment industry.

Now I'm not saying every celeb(and non-celeb) in Korea has gotten surgery because I'm sure there are a lot of natural beauties as well, but honestly, what's the big problem of celebs getting a prodecure done? Every time I see an article about an idol singing her heart out or volunteering somewhere, I always see people belittling the idol with stuff like "ew, she had plasic surgery? gross.", "she would have been better if she was natural.", "ugh, plastic ." and so on when it doesn't even have anything to do with the article! (I'm sure male idols get this negative treatment as well, but it's not as common.) Really? Y'all gon act like this? So what if she got her nose done? Got her chin shaved? Her eyes got new eyelids? How does that affect you personally? Is her procedure hurting you so much that it's causing you to constantly put her down for going under the knife? If so, I would like to tell you that what you are doing is basically bullying her.

Whether or not she (I'm just going to refer to them as she/her since it's easier) was forced to go under the knife by her company or she wanted to do so herself does not involve you, me, or anyone else. 

Let's talk about this in a story point-of-view. Hyeri is a 22-year-old university student who has had single eyelids all her life and was always put down for having small, "unattractive" eyes. It was to the point of where she spent most of her life getting bullied just because of her eyes. She has enough money to pay for a eyelid procedure and decided to do it to end bullying. Her surgery goes well and she walks out with double eyelids and she's able to walk around Gangnam with her head held high. Her self-esteem is boosted. 

Yoojin is a 27-year-old mother of two who has not been able to go back to her pre-pregnancy body (which may have been a rocking bagel girl body). She's unable to lose weight no matter what diets she tries or how much she exercises, but she's not put down constantly for her body and her husband loves her regardless. No one really cares what size she is besides herself. She's devestated by her body and decided to get liposuction. Bam, boom, wow, she's back to her amazing curves and she's able to wear a fitted dress without worrying about her tummy popping out. Her self-esteem is boosted.

Hana is a 45-year-old mother of seven and she wants to have big s. She gets them done. Her self-esteem is boosted.

What I'm trying to say is that if they have their self-esteem boosted for finally being able to say they're confident about themselves, what gives you the right to call them "plastic monsters" and belittle them for getting plastic surgery? If they're confident in themselves, then more power to them. Don't be rude and bully them.

With that being said, saying things like "oh, she's pretty but I liked her before." or "i'm not really digging her new nose" is fine if you're not crossing the line. You don't have to like their surgery. You don't even have to like them. But respecting their decision is something you need to do. If you don't like her, just move on with your life. There's no need to bash her looks (before&after). Hell, there's no need to bash anyone for anything.

Oh, and to those who like their idols regardless of the surgeries they've done (and those people who don't like certain idols but respect them enough not to bash them with their procedures done): you just continue doing yo thang. There will always be people that will say like "ugh, she's so ugly. she needs to have her whole face done!" or "gross, you think she's pretty? those surgeries ed her up." Idols don't need those negative people. They just need fans to be there by their side no matter what.

TL;DR: yo man don't be a . if an idol got surgery, so what? hop of their , man. it doesn't involve you and you don't need to keep making fun of them.

author's note:
I'll be back with a real chapter later, so please anticipate that!^^