006: Q&A

miyoung's guide into the idol world

Hey guys! It's been a while... ^^; 
I went on an unannounced hiatus, so I apologize to those who have been waiting for a new guide/chapter! I've completely forgot what I was going to post, so I'm just going to answer a few questions from the anonymous form! (If you want a specific question answered and I've said I would write a chapter but forgot, please refresh my memory via comment, PM, or anonymously!) ((also, the format might change from this chapter on... i've never been great stability~)

Note: These answers are based on my own experiences. Each company and trainee has their own answers, so I cannot speak as a representative of entire Korean entertainment system.

001. As a trainee, what kinds of food did you eat/were you put on a certain diet (like you can't eat a certain type of food or you have to eat a certain amount of something)?

Well, I had to cut out carbs like bread and pasta (rice was the only carb I could still have in my diet, otl. it was probably because I've eaten rice since I was young, so I'm used to it.) and junk food like ramen, fast food, and processed food. Since I wasn't watched closely by the trainers because of my location (I will explain this in the later chapters), I wasn't on a super strict diet where I had to eat less than 1000 calories a day (which is absolutely appalling) like my c0-trainees. I did, however, go on a healthy food diet where I ate as much as I wanted, but healthily with grilled chicken, greens, and fruits as dessert. 

I've heard from my friends in Korea that since they were watched super closely, they weren't able to eat a lot of their favorite foods because of their strict diets their company put them on. Their 'lunch' would usually be a small lunchbox full of greens. No dressings, meat, nothing. They just ate plain vegetables. 

Of course, it's not like this all the time! Whenever they got a day off, they tend to eat whatever they want, but they usually don't because if they happen to gain any weight back, it'll come back to bite them in the .

002. Have you met any idols from your company?

I haven't, but that's because I didn't start training in Korea. (I'll explain this in another chapter)

003. I've auditioned twice already, yet I still haven't gotten chosen. I was beginning to think that I didn't have any talent at all, but my friend and my family all said that I sing really well. I've started to become frustrated because I can't through the auditions. I found a few oppurtunities, but I'm not sure if I should take them. Should I take every chance I get? Or should I just give up here?

If it's your passion, why would you give up? I didn't get accepted until my 8th~10th audition and I wanted to quit, but since I still tried my best, I finally got in. It's only your second audition, so don't get too upset about it, okay? A lot of the idols today didn't get in on their first few tries, so you're no different. I think the people who get in on the first or even second audition must be the next Beyonce, MJ, or Whitney Houston or something because getting in that quickly must mean they're super amazingly talent (not that I'm saying you're not).

I can't tell you whether or not to take every chance you get because that's a decision that's ultimately up to you, but I can tell you that if you're afraid it might not be the right choice, just make sure to research before deciding anything.

004. What if you're Asian, but not Korean? Are you still eligible to audition? Does race really matter as much they say they do?

You don't have to be Korean to audition, but it'll definitely be a disadvantage (aka you need to be on top of your game). Hell, I'm not even Korean. My name isn't even Miyoung (WOW PLOT TWIST). What I'm trying to say is that while being non-Korean isn't something that should stop you from audition, it will make the judges not give you their full attention.

005. (from previous question in the last chapter) To the anon that wanted to be a dancer: I'm not sure if I'm able to answer your question completely since it seems like you're just confused on what to do. Being a dancer (or an idol) doesn't have a for sure future, so if you're looking for me to tell you what you should do, I'm sorry, but I can't. If you want to be a dancer, but your parents disagree, then that's something you need to work out yourself. Like I said before and in the previous chapter, being accepted into a company doesn't mean you're going to have a debut date. You can spend years working your off and becoming a back up dancer for other groups only to find out that your debut date is pushed back or even worse: you're getting dropped by your company. If you're willing to go through with the obvious risks of being an idol or a dancer, then by all means, do your thing. If you're scared about the risks and constantly questioning yourself, well, I don't know what to tell you.