010: Trainee competitions?

miyoung's guide into the idol world

Win: Who is Next? - are these types of trainee competitions common in the entertainment industry?

Short answer: Yes and no.

Long answer: Yes, trainee competitions in companies are actually very common, but most of them don't follow the same concept as these TV shows that are being aired. Yes, they put trainees up against each other, but usually not as a team effort, but more of a one versus everyone else kind of competition. You're basically only watching your back. Companies use this method to make sure their trainees are physically and mentally ready to debut, but those who aren't able to make that certain mark either A) continue training, or B) leave the company and go to another or completely quit. Trainees are (almost) always competitive towards each other and during their monthly evaluations, they will always try to upstage their fellow trainees in order to stand out. Like I said in another chapter, the issue of bullying is actually very important as a trainee because some trainees want to get rid of their competition.

In other words: even though some companies don't follow the exact same format (putting them in teams/giving them music missions), the concept of putting trainees up against each other with the promise of a debut is common. When I was still a trainee, I had one of the higher ups tell me: "If you want to debut, you need to make sure you're better than (said trainee's name). Do whatever it takes to beat her." It was nothing like friendly competition; it was like the Korean trainee version of The Hunger Games.

Note: This does not mean it happens to every single company. I'm speaking from my own experience as well as the words I've heard from fellow trainees in different companies. Although this method is common, it doesn't mean every single person in the company hates and tries to step all over each other. It also does not mean every single company uses this method; many companies handpick trainees they personally think is ready to debut.

 

A/N: Long time no post, guys! Ahh, I'm so sorry for not posting for months! I've finally gotten used to school and oh my, the work load is killer! I will try my best to constantly update this guide!^^