011: Q&A

miyoung's guide into the idol world

Note: This chapter will be of numerous anonymous questions that are too short to be made into an entire chapter. I've shortened and reworded some questions to make it nicer to read. If I happened to skip your question, I apologize and if you would still me to answer it, please leave a comment and/or ask on the tfa form. These answers are based on my own experiences. Each company and trainee have their own answers, so I cannot speak as a representative of entire Korean entertainment system.

 

001. What races do you think they will accept? Cause I heard that Koreans are really racist when it comes to other races. I'm a Viet-Korean-Chinese living in the U.S. Do you think they will accept me?

Yes and no. As I've stated countless times, while your ethnicity will play a vital role in your audition, it's not something that will definitely stop you from being accepted. You may have an advantage due to being part Korean and Chinese since being Chinese is certainly the "trend" in Korea as of late, but don't worry about being Vietnamese as I've heard of a few Vietnamese trainees. 

002. How did you quit being a trainee? What was the process? Why did you quit?

I'm not sure if I've ever stated why I wanted to quit (I may have, but it's been a while since I've updated ^^), so I'll just restate it here. I decided to quit because I realized that being an idol wasn't my thing. I was having a lot of health (mental and physical) problems due to training and my grades weren't doing so well because I was focusing way too hard on training. It wasn't necessarily a choice I had to make since I had to put all my focus in training because of monthly evaluations. Because I was still in high school during my two years of training, I had to ultimately choose between my education and being an idol. I chose education because I wasn't even sure if I going to debut and even if I did, I didn't know if I was going to be successful. With those thoughts in the back of my mind, I chose my education because I wanted something to fall back on and that was my high school diploma (as well as my health). 

There is no specific process to quitting as it differs between each company. Some companies freely let trainees go without any trouble, but some may bring in legal representatives. In my case, legal representatives were brought in, but I didn't have to go to court or pay anything so it wasn't a big deal. However, because my case involved the law, I am unable to speak more or be in depth about the process.

003. I've been scouted by a local agency before and it was a rather well-known one. My parents were afraid that it was a scam so they did not allow me to sign the contract. How do you tell the different between actual scouts and tricksters?

First off, yay for being scouted! Now, onto real business: one of the main things scammers ask for is money. If they tell you that you have to pay a deposit up-front and even before you have any endorsements, you need to get up and walk away because this is what gets people the most. They say things along the lines of "if you pay this deposit right now, it'll pay for your training fees as well as money to help buy stylists!" but the moment you give them your money, they will run away and never be found again. Another thing to check is where they are meeting you. Never, and I seriously mean never, ever sign a contract or discuss a contract over the phone/webcam. You need to meet this person in real life and possibly in their legitimate office. I say possibly because it's not very common for ceo's or whatnot to hold a business meeting in a crowed cafe hidden in the corner, you know? And also, because most of the "smart" scammers rent out buildings to use as their office, so even if they have a building for you to go to, they might not always be truthful. Ultimately, it comes down to your gut feeling. If you don't feel safe or if something feels sketchy, do not take the chance.

004. There is a Korean entertainment agency in my country and they hold annual auditions. I've taken a few classes under their academy and the instructors have praised me for my style and talent. How do you decide when you're read for an audition?

This is rather subjective because there's no universal feeling that shows you're ready. You just have to feel ready. Feel confident in your abilities and just do your thing. Some people don't even attend auditions prepared, so they tend to use this as practice/motivation for when they really are.

005. Could you be rejected because of your past? I've done bad things in the past, but they weren't felonies or major misdemeanors, so I'm rather nervous to keep auditioning. A company asked me to come to Los Angeles for a private audition, but I'm so nervous because what if they search my name?

Congrats on the audition! I think it has to depend on what you did your past. If it's something rather huge like going to jail or being placed on house arrest/probabtion, it will definitely affect your acception. Minor things like fighting, smoking, drinking, or even bullying (which is bad and you should feel bad) may hinder your chances, but it almost never does unless you continue doing those things while training. They will, however, resurface if you were to ever debut. Many idols have had a clean streak, but because they have such a terrible past, people do turn on them and what not.

006. I live in the middle of no where and I want to audition online, but I just want to know if they actually do look at their online auditions.

The bigger the company, the more they look at online auditions. The smaller the company, the smaller the chances. If it's a company with a lot of foreign trainees (either non-Korean or Korean-American), they may look at online auditions more frequently, but it's not something I can say for sure.

007. Hi ^^ First of all, thanks for answering our questions. I was just curious if you have had the opportunity to make songs in your company or if you had the equipment and time to make songs. Thank you :)

Hello! Thank you!^^ I've actually never produced my own music (only because I'm terrible at it), but I have used the equipment and recorded some covers and what not. Not to post online or anything, but to review and listen to what I can fix and improve. I wanted to learn how to produce later when I started feeling comfortable with touching all the equipment because believe me, those things were expeeeeeensive. I have a knack of breaking everything I touch, so I was a little scared that I was going to break everything ㅠㅠ.

 

A/N: I apologize for not taking care of this guide as often as I should be! So to those who sent in questions that were rather time sensitive, I'm sorry ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ. I changed the poster as well as the layout for the foreword! I'm still trying to decide if I want to change the layout for the individual chapters, so I'm on the lookout for a nice chapter layout!