002: I want to become an idol to get close to _______!

miyoung's guide into the idol world

Stop.

Before we proceed on any further, you need to stop and rethink your life choices. If the only reason you want to become an idol is to be near your idols, I'm going to be that that's going to tell you to sit yo down and rethink with that brain yo momma gave you. I'm going to tell you in the nicest way possible: are you honestly willing to sell your soul just so you could get close with exo or girls' generation or which ever group you like? I know it sounds extreme, but you're literally selling your soul to the entertainment company/world if you end up getting accepted.

Think about it. Let's assume all of y'all are international kids and you get accepted into, uh, YG Entertainment or something. Not only will you have to drop all your studies in America (assuming you're from the states), you will have to move to South Korea, end up having to find a decent part-time job that will help you make extra money for things like clothing or food, you're placed on a strict diet, you'll attend a "foreigner" school (which most of the time has teachers that only speak Korean and know nothing of English besides your basic "Hello, I am fine, thank you. And you?"), and chances are, your Korean skills will be of kindergarten level.

I know it sounds like I'm overreacting, but as soon as you get accepted and sign all the contracts and such, your soul is basically in your company's hands. You're going to be throwing away (okay throwing away is a little bit too harsh) your life you've made back in your home country. For what? For a small chances of meeting your idol? Okay, let's say you do meet then when you're a trainee. You become acquaintances for a while, but you may or may not be best friends with them. They might even turn out to be a bigger than you expected. They might not even be that perfect angel you've worshipped them for. So this has happened. The only reason why you've entered such a scary environment has now turn into a pile of dust that was used in the Girls' Generation The Boys music video. What do you do now? You can't just easily go to your boss and go "ayo, so, like, I wanna cancel this contract, 'na what i'm sayin?" Nullifying a contract takes time and, sometimes, money. Remember, just because you've been accepted into a company, it doesn't mean you have a job. Chances are, the only thing they'll be paying for are your dorms(you may or may not have to pay for it, i'm not positively sure are dorming). They don't pay for your food, clothing, or other luxuries. You're surviving on your own.

But if your main motivation isn't to be near idols and you honestly have a passion for music, then by all means, go and do yo thang qurl (or homeboy if y'all be guys). Despite what I said, if you do have passion, but you also want to be around idols (you idolize/look up to them in a role model way, not romantically), then more motivation and power to you. Since we're all international fans, we're bound to want to become idols because of all these groups, right? Hey, even idols right now became idols because they looked up to others. Sunggyu because a singer because he was a fan of Nell, CAP & L.Joe became rappers because of GD&TOP, and many more. The reason why they succeeded? They had a passion for music that helped them to their positions today. 

TL;DR: If the only reason you want to become an idol is to get near other idols like EXO, GG, or Super Junior, I suggest you stop before you even start. Being a trainee will either make or break you, and when you lose your "motivation" because your idol isn't what they seem to be, it'll be hard to go back to how things were once before.