008: Pros vs. cons of being in a large, well-known company

miyoung's guide into the idol world

First things first: I was not a trainee of a large company like SM, YG, JYP, Cube, or whatever huge companies that's left (this is probably the closest thing I'll say regarding which company I belonged to). My friend belongs in a larger, well-known company, so I will be using her point of view on her pros and cons of being in a large company.

Note: These pros and cons will be of vague points to protect my safety(?) as well as my friend's (which is why I did not release which company she belongs to). Each point is not to be used to describe a specific company, but rather many companies as a whole.

Pros of being in a large company

1. You have a higher chance of debuting.

The whole idea of being able to debut after becoming a trainee is a little iffy since it doesn't really matter which company you belong to, but when you are employeed with a larger and well-known company, you are automatically put at a higher place than trainees in a less known company. Sounds confusing, right? Let me break this down in an easier way (that even I can understand, aha):

When you're in a large company, you're still obviously going to have to train a few more years so you're not going to debut like that*snaps*, but when your time comes and you are ready to debut, your company will have the money to fund your group's debut. Because of the company's previous groups doing their thang and gaining money, it'll help your group out and give you the nessecary funds to have watchable music videos with actual props and sets. (of course, excluding sponsors and investments, but that's a whole different story for later)

2. The company name will stick with you.

This is basically a double edge sword, but for the sake of it being a pro, let's just talk about how this will benefit you for now. Having the company's name with you will help you become known when you debut (or predebut when people want to know who's in the group). For example, let's say you belonged to SM Entertainment and you're set as a member of their new girl group. After member profiles are released you'll be known as "SM Entertainment's new girl group" and just being associated with SME will help you in the eyes of the public.

girl group + sm's name = wow look at all dis attention

3. Lower chance of flopping.

Now, I'm not saying if you're in a large company you're suddenly not going to flop after you don't do well on your 3rd mini or something. I'm just saying that because the company will have the funds (and an amazing marketing team, jfc) to help your group do well and fit in the certain style and concept that's popular.

Basically, if your debut totally and you literally gained no fans, these companies will have enough resources to continuously give you comebacks after comebacks until you have a large enough fan base (of course, there is a limit on how much your company will help you. Like if you just completely and there's no way to salvage your group's career, then i'm sorry to tell u man but y'all are ded).

Cons of being in a large company:

1. More competition.

Okay, there's competition literally every where in the trainee world, but being in a larger company means it'll be harder for you to be picked as the company's next group's member. Since so many people want to be in a large company for their pros, there will be A LOT of idol hopefuls fighting their way in the audition just to become a trainee. (My friend told me that even though there's so many trainees in her company, her company is actually pretty strict on auditions and thus makes it harder to pass.) After you get through the auditions, there are so many trainees training their asses off just to be noticed. It's literally a dog eat dog world there.

Plus, there could be bullying and shadiness going down, but that's a whole different story.

2. The company name will stick to you.

Like I said before, this is a double edged sword because it could be used as a negative and a positive thing. Usually most groups debuting in a well-known company (the example is back on SME), having the name of your company will break you. This point is a little hard for me to explain (since I can't find the right words), but it's basically like when people think of your group, some people will be like "Oh, it's SM's group again." If they're an avid disliker of SME, they're probably not going to give you attention, right?

And let's say there are people who have high hopes and expectations for you just because you're debuting from SME. If you don't meet their expectations, they're not going to look at you as highly as they did before.

3. The fans.

Oh, jesus. The /fans/. Yes, you're going to have fans and have sasaengs (which are totally not fans, okay) and that's pretty much inevitable. This is hard for me to explain as a description, so let's just use a group. Let's talk about love Exo. Even though they debuted just a year ago they have gained so many fans that they even had to cancel their Daejeon fanmeet due to the amount of people attending. My personal opinion about this is because like pro #2, because they had SM's name stuck to them, it helped them gain a huge amout of fans (literally before debut bc when i still used tumblr, there was a huge following during their teaser days, jfc). ((okay don't get me wrong i love exo okay they are my babies))

Ahem, okay, along with fans, there comes the crazy people. Y'all know which ones I'm talking about. The ones that literally follow them around every where (hello saesaengs), do incredibly stupid things to show their love to their idols (that girl cutting "i love exo" on her arm, taecyeon's period blood letter, gd's blood letter, that weird that dragged taeyeon off stage, the list goes on). Of course, even "smaller" groups have these fans, but when you belong to a huge company, these kinds of people tend to pop up more.

i have no idea where i'm going with this point but yes if u belong in a huge company the amount of crazy motherfadders will increase like jfc where are ur parents hOW MUCH BLOOD DO YOU HAVE JFC PUT UR AWAY U THIRSTY MOTHER------- 

ahem.

 

A/N: This chapter is a little sloppy, but I hope you get the jist of what I'm saying! I'll post the cons of being in a smaller, less-known company some other day! 
Oh! Some people have been asking me for a selca???? y u needa see ma face for huh u wanna fight?? okay, here are my selcas for you lovelies <3 I look a little weird in it, but i hope you like it~~~~~~~~~~ gorges faceu

 

have a lovely day bC BLOCKTOBER IS COMING UP NAMSAYIN