. . . And So, The Sun Sets Down

The Selfless Love

 

“You do not see my point!” Youngbae exasperatedly breathed. “I am doing this not to get the Princess Durami only; I want to give justice to my people, to gain the freedom of those who were enslaved.”
 
“You do not see our point either, Youngbae,” Jiyong said.
 
Listen, I-“
 
“No, you listen,” Jiyong interfered. “Let’s say you fail, what good will your death do? Do you think I do not know why they are not attacking us yet when they are set to conquer all kingdoms? They are afraid of you. You made yourself a legend that everyone fears. If you die, the South will be an easy prey for them to devour. Yes, you want revenge; you want to get the princess back. But I know you. I know you want to take the North down to stop them from ever laying siege against us, to stop them from attacking us. Do you think we can just sit, wait here and do nothing about it while you go all by yourself to secure the future of the South? We cannot do that. This is our kingdom, our home. WE WANT to defend and fight for it, too.”
 
Youngbae stared at Jiyong and cannot help but understand why SHE fell in love with him.
 
“I won’t be going alone. The remaining of the East knights will come with me,” he then confessed.
 
“You cannot stop us from going with you,” Jiyong said, determination etched in his face and he was sure the same determination can be seen on the other’s faces.
 
“I am your KING. You obey what I command,” he gritted.
 
“A king is no one without his people.”
 
Upon hearing what Jiyong said and upon seeing the look in his face, Youngbae finally made a decision on something that has bothered him for so long.
 
* * *
 
“You cannot go!” she cried.
 
“I can and I must,” Jiyong answered.
 
“You haven’t faced a big battle before! What if. . . what if. . .?” she sobbed.
 
Jiyong sighed and pulled her in his arms. “Princess, I am a knight, ‘tis my duty to serve this kingdom.”
 
“I have lost everyone already,” she cried, burying her face in his chest. “I cannot afford to lose you, too. I do not want you to die.”
 
“If I die, I shall die with honor and pride,” he whispered.
 
“Please come back,” she said, looking up at him. “Promise to come back.”
 
“Sandara.”
 
“I shall die!” she burst out. “I shall die from too much sorrow!”
 
“No. you have to live,” Jiyong smiled. “You have to live to build your own family. You are fortunate to have a husband like Youngbae. ‘Tis your duty to live as his wife.”
 
“I would feel more fortunate if you were my husband.”
 
A shadow suddenly retreated away from that place.
 
For the next days, the grounds were filled with men honing their skills in sword, arrow and in manual combat. As Youngbae watched them, he cannot help but hope. . . maybe there is a chance. Only, he is out of that equation. He has made his decision regarding his fate.
 
And he is determined to see it through- alone. All of these trainings were for Sandara, for the South. He wants to leave with ease that Sandara will be safe. Jiyong was right; he cannot allow his wife to be left defenseless. They will protect Sandara and the South once he is gone.
 
They can protect and defend themselves now.
 
* * *
 
Sandara woke up from sensing something has changed. She tossed around, figuring it out when she suddenly felt cold, inexplicably cold. She opened her eyes and found an empty space beside her. She pushed herself up, gathering the blankets around her to cover her body.
 
The light from the torch was flickering, the flames slowly dancing to the gentle wind. She let her eyes adjust to the dimness of the chamber. It was then when she noticed a shadow at the corner. With a frown, she climbed out of bed, took a night robe and put it on herself.
 
“What is the meaning of this?” she asked as she approached him.
 
Youngbae stiffened. He was all armed for a fight. He stopped on the process of wearing his sword belt around him. With a sigh, he relaxed the stiffness from his shoulders and resumed his task.
 
“I’m heading towards North,” he quietly answered.
 
“But the troops are leaving the day after tomorrow. Has there been a change in plans?”
 
“No, there hasn’t,” he quietly answered again, his back still facing her.
 
“Then, why are you-?” she stopped. Her eyes grew wide. With a gasp, she continued, “you’re going alone!”
 
“Yes”.
 
“But that’s suicidal! What has gotten into you?’ she asked, her voice raising a pitch higher. Youngbae did not answer, instead he turned stiff again. “You wanted this!” she gasped, understanding slowly crept to her mind as horror suddenly washed her whole being. “You planned this! You want to die!” she accused. It was then that Youngbae faced her.
 
“You should go back to sleep,” he said.
 
“Why? Are you attempting to escape your responsibilities? Are you trying to free yourself from the guilt of causing my family’s death? Are you-?”
 
“No!” he roared. “Can you not see that I am doing this for you?!”
 
Sandara stepped back, appalled. “For me?”
 
“Yes!” he gritted. “’Tis the only way to give you your freedom back! To free you from your obligations, duties and responsibilities as my wife. My death will make you a free woman again. Through my death, you can finally be with Jiyong.”
 
The princess paled at this. She stared wide-eyed with shock at Youngbae.
 
“Oh yes, I know of your liaison with Jiyong. I know all of your secret meeting with him; I have seen you with my own eyes. Other men have seen the both of you, too but I ordered them to keep their silence about it because you know very well the punishment of a woman having an affair.”
 
“B-but why have you not. . .?”
 
“Confronted you?” he asked. “Because I am a fool. I hoped that you will return my love. I hoped and waited that you will somehow love me the way I love you. Oh yes, I do love you, Dara! ‘Tis the reason why I agreed to the marriage. I knew how you feel about Jiyong the first time I came here but I still hoped, wished, prayed, waited and fought for it. But I am afraid there is no chance for you to love me anymore. That is why I decided for this. I want you to be free so you can freely smile and laugh with the person you truly love, so you can be happy.”
 
“Youngbae, I didn’t. . .” she choked.
 
“I just want you to be happy, Dara,” he whispered. “That is all I ever desired in my life. If I die, you shall be free. You can marry again. You can now be tied with the man you truly love. I may not see that happen, but at the least, I know you are going to be happy.”
 
Youngbae leaned and kissed her forehead. “Farewell to you Dara, the sole owner of my heart.”
 
He then left the chamber with determined steps. Meanwhile, Sandara was left frozen on her spot, eyes still wide open. It was when tears fell from her eyes that she finally moved and turned around.
 
“Don’t leave me,” she whispered but Youngbae was already gone. Her knees then gave in and she fell kneeling on the floor. Her hand went to her chest as she felt it tightened. She started gasping for air but it seemed not enough for her lungs. With her tears continuously flowing and with a hoarse voice, she uttered Youngbae’s name over and over and over again, stupidly hoping that he will hear her and he will return to her alive.
 
With unbelievable determination, she pushed herself up even if her knees cannot carry her. She ran through the dungeons and knocked on a particular door. It was after a few knocks when the door finally creaked open.
 
“He’s gone!” she said at once. “Youngbae went alone.”
 
Grief suddenly gripped her, making her surrender to the comfort of nothingness.
 
* * *
 
It is nearly two days of travel to reach the North kingdom. Sandara joined the troops when she woke up and found out that they were preparing themselves for departure. She had an argument with Jiyong at first for the latter does not approve of her plan.
 
“But my husband is out there! You cannot expect me to stay here!” she had told him. With reluctance and hesitation, Jiyong heeded.
 
She was left camped out miles away from the North castle with three knights. She was pacing back and forth in her tent, twisting her fingers.
 
Hours dragged on and on and on until she heard a loud trumpet and shouts. She even heard the three guards gleefully shouted, joining the echoing voices from afar. She stepped out of the tent.
 
“What has happened?” she asked.
 
“We won!” a knight answered. “Good Lord, this is a miracle!”
 
“A miracle indeed!” another said.
 
“How can you-?”
 
“Look up there, Princess. Our flag’s being waved”
 
And she looked up ahead. True, their flag’s being waved. Tears then started falling as relief washed over her. “Bring me there at once,” she ordered.
 
Without bothering to gather the tent, they proceed to the battlefield. Upon reaching the place, Sandara’s relief vanished to thin air. Dead bodies were strewn all over the ground and the silence that greeted them was unnerving, an opposite of the victorious shouts a while ago.
 
Sandara dismounted the horse and upon sensing their arrival, Jiyong hastily went to them.
 
“Where is he?” she asked at once when she did not see her husband among the few ones who were up on their feet.
 
“Sandara, he-”
 
“Where is he?” she repeated more urgently. Jiyong stepped aside. It was then that she saw a few men crowded on something. Fear started building in her chest.
 
“He. . . he kept on shielding me from everything,” she heard Jiyong said but she was already on her way towards the circle.
 
“Let me through,” she frantically said. As they made way for her, she then saw him. He was right there, lying flat on the ground, looking so tired, so pale, so weak. She went to her knees beside him and reached for his bloodstained hand. A sob rose to at how cold his hand felt.
 
“Youngbae,” she croaked. Youngbae blinked and turned his head slowly towards her direction.
 
“Da. . . ra,” he rasped. He pulled his hand from her grasp and reached for her face. Sandara cupped his hand, holding it in between her palm and cheek. “You’re crying,” he said as he felt tears on her cheek.
 
“How could I not? You are wounded! We should bring you to-”
 
“No,” Youngbae interfered. “I won’t make it. My time has come.”
 
“Do not say that!” she shrieked. “You are going to live! You have to live for me and your child!”
 
Surprise crossed his eyes and he looked at Sandara’s face questioningly first before darting his eyes to her stomach.
 
“Yes. I am carrying your child,” she answered his silent query. She turned to the men surrounding them. “What are you all standing there for? We have to tend to his wounds! Bring me herbs! Bring me-!”
 
“Dara”, Youngbae voiced out loud. “’Tis too late.”
 
“No, ‘tis not! There is still hope”.
 
“Smile for me,” he suddenly said, barely a whisper. “I want to see your smile before I depart this world.”
 
“No! You are going to live! You have to live. If not for me, then for our child.”
 
Youngbae closed his eyes and a smile formed his lips. “I am a father.”
 
“Yes, you are,” Sandara eagerly said. Youngbae opened his eyes again and looked at her.
 
“I am glad to leave this world with your face as the last thing my eyes set upon,” he smiled. “I love you, Dara.”
 
His hand slipped from her grasp and fell limply on the ground. It took her a second to realize what happened.
 
“No,” she whispered, shaking her head wildly as her vision got clouded by tears. “No, no, no, no, no! Youngbae, wake up! You cannot die! Dong Youngbae, you do not have to die to give me freedom! I do not want to be free! Do you hear me?! I LOVE YOU! I love you, listen to me!”
 
Grief and loss overwhelmed her. She screamed her name at the top of her lungs, confessing her real feelings for him, hoping he shall find the will to live. Only, she was too late.
 
“I love you,” she cried. “Please. . . do not leave me.”
 
Her tears seemed endless so when she felt a hand on her shoulder, she shrugged it off.
 
“Sandara,” a soft, feminine voice said. Sandara looked behind her and saw her sister. And then, she burst into tears again.
 
Slowly, the sun started to set down.