. . . And So, They Were Wed

The Selfless Love

Youngbae cannot hide his amusement with his betrothed. But maybe he got used to those women by the town who’d willingly give themselves at any amount one can give.

“Relax” he told her again.

“I am relaxed” she retorted.

He sighed. “Then lean on me, it will ease your back”

“Oh, do not worry about me, my lord. I am perfectly fine” she answered. Youngbae shook his head at the stubbornness of her pride. Nevertheless, he moved his body forward.

He let his eyes roam around the land. A frown marred his forehead as he quickly took note of how poorly guarded the realm is. Indeed, the rumors about the South being the weakest among four kingdoms proved to be true. The foundations of the gates are weak. He was sure one big rock would make the gate crumble down. The deep, dark forest at the edge of the field can both be an advantage and disadvantage to them, thus, making the geography of the South a traitor to itself. The wooden cottages of the commoners can also be fatal, as it is easy to burn down such houses unlike in the East where they decreed to build all the houses into bricks and cements.

“As you can see, we do not have the best defenses like that in your kingdom” Sandara broke the silence.

“Yes, I noticed” he agreed.

“But the best we can offer are our people. Since the time the South Kingdom was built, there had never been a rebellion against the castle. Loyalty and respect are highly regarded by Southerners. Once it is gained, never doubt they will waver for they have proven over time that they will move mountains to protect the royal family. Southerners are the most loyal people there ever is”

Youngbae did not dare speak for he had to prove that himself.

“It is hot, do you think not?” he asked.

“Indeed. If you wish, I can lead you to a lake down by the forest. Legend has it , the water can heal the soul of all sins” Sandara replied, feeling a sense of pride for the feat.

“Shall you join me if I wished to be healed?”

“Absolutely not! I value my dignity, my lord. It is unright for a lady and a man to bathe together”

“Oh dear, have I not told you? I don’t take rejection and refusal that easily”

Sandara gave a squeal of fright as Jug-eum broke into a sprint, neighing. Youngbae cannot help himself but bark a laugh. The horse seemed to read what’s on his mind for the beast took the initiative to run on its own towards the lake, with the use of his ears.

“Make him stop!” the girl pleaded.

“I cannot! I never ordered him to run in the first place. He is running on his own free will, I cannot deprive him of that right”

They passed along a trail so fast that all they can make out of the surroundings were a mixture of blurry brown and green.

“My lord, I ask you, make him stop!”

“I told you, I cannot!” Youngbae answered, smiling secretly.

“He’s heading straight into the lake!”

Soon after, they heard a splash of water as Jug-eum went straight into the water. He reared on his hind legs, throwing both riders off his back. Youngbae securely wrapped his arms around Sandara’s waist as they both fell to the water. The beast, feeling the riders off his back quickly went back to the dry land, snorting.

“Jug-eum you naughty boy” Youngbae said, still holding Sandara’s waist.

“My lord, no need to wrap your arms around me too tight”

“Have I not told you to call me by my name? I cannot tolerate such disobedience, my future wife. I shall give you a punishment”

“A punishment?”

“Yes, my Princess. You shall join me in savoring this wondrous lake” he said in a teasing tone.

“I cannot do that! Besides, my dress is quite heavy-,”

“Then, I shall remove your dress”

Sandara gasped and broke free from the restraints of his arms.

“I am not raised to be humiliated. I shall not let you degrade me and dishonor me! What do you take me for? I’m not one of those women for rent” she stomped heavily.

“Princess, I am simply teasing you”

“I do not approve such teasing remarks combined with that lustful look in your face and desire-filled eyes. I shall remain pure until the day of the wedding”

Sandara struggled to get to the dry land whilst her dress was slowing her down. As soon as she reached the dry land, she wringed her hair dry, mumbling darkly to herself.

“If you are decided not to join me, then can you help me remove my-,”

“No!” she wildly protested.

Youngbae was again, amused at her reaction. He chuckled and went to the dry land to remove his clothing. One side of his lips twitched into a smile as he saw Sandara’s eyes grew wide. She covered her eyes at once and turned away from him.

“Are you quite sure you do not want to join me” he asked.

“I am sure” she firmly stood.

“’Tis your final decision, Princess?”

“Yes”

By the time noon arrived, they were both heading back to the castle.

“We shall eat first before your lessons” he said.

“As you wish”

* * *

Sandara gasped as she saw Jiyong’s unrecognizable face. His face was covered with cuts and bruises; one of his eyes was drooping because of the swell above it. Her eyes welled with tears as a steely grip squeezed her heart. With trembling hands, she held his face lightly in between her hands.

“Princess, ‘tis dangerous for you to come here at this wee hour” he said.

“Forgive me” she choked through her tears.

“Sandara, there is naught to forgive. You are not at fault. ‘Tis a punishment I should endure alone”

Sandara broke into tears.

“Princess, do not cry for me. If you value my sanity, do not shed tears”

“Your pain is my pain also”

“No” Jiyong strongly protested. “Princess, my heart is being crushed at this moment we speak. By the morrow, you shall be married to my friend, Youngbae. Do not add me pain by showing your tears. I can endure all the pain but I cannot endure seeing your tears”

“I am hurting” she cried.

“I am, too. But think of the lives you can save”

Sandara pulled back. “Do you desire me to continue with the matrimony?”

His shoulders tensed, yet his face was calm as he finally worded his response. “Yes, I desire for it to happen”

Sandara was appalled. One foot unconsciously stepped back.

“Has your love for me vanished? Has another girl caught your eyes and captured your heart?”

“No other girl can throw you out of my heart, Sandara. But we have our own responsibilities we cannot and should not ignore. We cannot let our selfishness overrule us”

Her chin jutted forward in a defiant manner. “You are breaking my heart with your words!”

The following morning came. Sanadara cannot fully join the happiness of everyone. Laughter filled the hall as they celebrate the joining of the two kingdoms. But for her, they are just ordinary sounds.

“Why so silent?” Youngbae asked.

Sandara blinked. “I just feel weary, that’s all”

“Then I shall let you take your rest now”

“But I-,”

“No worries, Dara. I understand”

Guilt washed over her as she saw the genuine concern on his face. She quickly looked down, afraid of him seeing what she truly feels deep inside through her eyes. How can she tell him that she feels no happiness but remorse and pain now that they are wedded? How can she tell him that she wanted Jiyong to be in his place? She knows she is forbidden to say such things, she is forbidden to speak what truly lies in her heart, what truly runs in her mind. She is a prisoner, a prisoner that is bound to serve her people, to think of their safety and happiness first before hers.

How she wish she’s not a princess.

* * *

“I am telling you no lies, my lord. I saw them with my own two eyes”

Youngbae closed his eyes. For a moment, one would think he’d fallen asleep. The serene look in his face did not give what runs in his mind. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at the watcher.

“Thank you for telling me this” he started. “I expect you won’t tell anyone of this. . . event”

“But my lord, I-,”

“I heard and understand what you said. Worry not for your findings shall not be ignored. But like what I said, you are not allowed to tell anyone else. You may leave”

A look of hesitation and disbelief crossed his subordinate’s face but whatever it is in his mind, he kept it to himself and bowed his departure. He then ordered Junki to bring him Jiyong, his head knight and the South’s head knight. Not long after Junki left, he sighed. Just last night, he received a message from his spy and just a while ago, another message was brought to him , though, he knew about the latter the moment he arrived here. But he should give more importance to the former message for it is crucial than the other.

He slowly massaged his temples. Form a distance, he started hearing footsteps. He composed himself and looked up. After ten intakes of breath, the company he sought for arrived. They stopped a few good feet away from him and bowed. He let the silence fill the chamber before speaking.

“You all know that it has been sixty-three days after the marriage. In the contract, it has been stated and required for me to stay here for ninety days before I tend to my land in the East. However, I received an urgent message from one of my spies. The King of North has been planning for an attack for two days now. When? I do not know. This information led me to a decision” he paused and looked at the warriors in front of him.

“But they could be on their way here right now” Jiyong voiced his thoughts.

“Yes, there is a great possibility. But I’ve been to many battles before. I believe they would not attack this early yet-,”

“What if they planned to attack by surprise? We cannot risk the safety of the people” Jiyong exclaimed.

“I appreciate your concern, my friend. But rest assured that what I say is true. And my spy also mentioned that the North is still waiting for something or someone before attacking”

Jiyong fell silent for a moment. “I apologize for my outburst, Your Highness” he bowed.

“No need for that. I understand your concern. However, I have greater concerns here. I believe, that the King’s safety is also important as well as his family, do you agree not? I plan to send the King and his family to the East. There, they would be safer for my people are more trained in combat and the towers that guards my castle are stronger than here”

“Then, I shall call on a part to guard to Majesties” Youngbae’s head knight said.

“’Tis the reason why I called you. I want you select five of our finest knights” Youngbae said then turned to the other head knight. “And five from your side, too. Of course, both head knights will lead the guard”

Both knights curtsied their agreement.

“Gather them now: Youngbae ordered as the two head knights bowed and left the chamber.

“Junki” Youngbae called, “you know what to do and say to the Parks, correct?”

“Yes, my lord”

“Very well. Go tell them, and of course, let them know that my wife shall stay behind”

“I will, my lord” Junki answered and bowed. With a swirl of hiscloak, he was gone.

“The Princess will be left behind?” Jiyong inquired, surprised written in his face.

“Yes, she is obliged to stay. ‘Tis included in the agreement”

“But you said so yourself, ‘tis safer in the East compared here. Shouldn’t you be protecting her from harm, too?”

“Are you questioning my ability to protect my own wife, Kwon Jiyong?”