. . . And So, He Was Discovered

The Selfless Love

 

Jug-eum trotted along side the horse that Jiyong is riding.
 
“Have you coveted something you cannot have?” he asked.
 
“Why do you ask?” Jiyong asked back.
 
“’Tis merely a question, my friend.”
 
Jiyong fell silent for a moment, thinking. “Yes, only one.”
 
“Is it something you want to talk about? Maybe I can help you get it?” he chuckled.
 
Jiyong afforded a light chuckle. “No, I am afraid you cannot help me.”
 
Youngbae grew uneasy. He hopes what Jiyong said is not what he thinks he meant. But he composed his face in a merry one. “’Tis too impossible to get?” he asked lightly.
 
“No.” Jiyong answered. “Only, I chose not to pursue it anymore. Fate, as it turned out, had some other plans for me.”
 
Youngbae reserved his judgment. He wanted to trust him but under the current circumstances, he needs to think of things first before putting up a decision.
 
“Get down!” Jiyong suddenly shouted, pushing him off his horse. Youngbae staggered sideward but he was able to hold onto Jug-eum. He glanced up at Jiyong and saw an arrow pierced his arm.
 
“Jiyong!” he called.
 
“I’m alright. ‘Tis a small wound,” Jiyong assured him. When he was certain the arrow was not life threatening, he kicked Jug-eum’s belly and went to pursue the doer of the act. He heard it first before his eyes caught the sight of another arrow coming his way. He was able to bend down on Jug-eum to avoid it. It almost caught him, he knew that. But he felt a strong urge of victory as he now knew where the criminal was, judging from the direction of where the arrow came from. He pulled out his sword and sent it flying to that direction he suspected. Tiny branches and a few leaves were cut off before the sword hit home. There was a sound of surprise, followed by a thud, resembling a sound of fall.
 
Youngbae climbed down from Jug-eum and walked over to the edge of the forest. He saw a figure sprawled on the ground, with the sword stuck up in his stomach. A rattling, labored breathing can be heard from the person. He was wearing a washed-away brown robe with a hood.
 
He pulled the sword out, making the person gasp. The latter put both hands on the wound, putting pressure to it to stop the bleeding. But then, it was too late. With the tip of the sword, Youngbae turned the hood out.
 
“Jun Ki!” he hissed, eyes wide.
 
An insane smiled curled Jun Ki’s lips. “Your Highness, you looked surprise.”
 
“Why?” Youngbae gritted. “Why did you do this?”
 
“I do not have to explain anything to you, you fool! You held yourself so high but you didn’t even notice a spy working for you right under your very nose!”
 
Youngbae’s jaw clenched. “You shall be punished for this.”
 
“I will never surrender to you willingly,” he sneered.
 
“As you can see, you do not have a choice.”
 
“Oh, yes I do have one,” he declared, eyes gleaming maliciously. He pulled one arrow out and stabbed his heart with it. Youngbae could have stopped it but he was too stunned, too surprised, too shocked that he froze in his place. Another presence unfroze him.
 
“Jun Ki?” Jiyong asked.
 
“Yes. He was the traitor, the spy.”
 
After a moment of silence, Youngbae turned to his friend.
 
“I owe you, my friend,” he said.
 
“It is nothing. I am a knight. ‘Tis my duty to serve you.”
 
“I am grateful. I shall be forever in your debt.”
 
“No, you are not,” Jiyong protested. “Like I said, ‘tis my duty.”
 
Youngbae nodded. “Let us head back and let someone tend to your wound.”
 
* * *
 
“What happened?” Sandara asked as she saw Jiyong’s wound. She was waiting patiently for Youngbae, desiring to confront him. But the sight of a wounded Jiyong threw her off course.
 
“There has been an attack. Jun Ki, it turned out was a traitor and spy,” Youngbae explained. “Get an herbalist or phy-”
 
“I can tend to him. I am quite skillful in tending wounds,” Sandara volunteered.
 
Surprise touched Youngbae’s face. He was not able to answer at once, he hesitated. If he never felt hesitation in any situation before, he does now. He looked back and forth between Sandara and Jiyong. With reluctance, he heeded.
 
“Very well,” he coughed. “If you say so.”
 
Youngbae swept off the hall, leaving Sandara and Jiyong behind. The girl turned to the maid in waiting, asking her to bring the herbs, warm water and clean linens. She turned to one knight and ordered him to assist Jiyong to his chamber.
 
“This is a simple wound, Princess. I can walk,” Jiyong said, sounding a little annoyed. The knight gasped in surprise and looked with wide eyes at Jiyong. He feared that Jiyong was too bold for talking to the Princess like that. But, he found out that the Princess is quite tolerant.
 
When they were in Jiyong’s chamber, he sighed.
 
“What were you thinking, Sandara? You volunteering to tend for me was inappropriate. Youngbae might suspect us.”
 
“Are you afraid of being punished?” she boldly asked.
 
“I have endured punishment before. I am only looking after your welfare. You can be punished if he finds out about our. . . past”
 
“Past?!” Sandara demanded. “Everything is in the past for you now, eh?”
 
“Sandara, we talked about this before.”
 
Sandara defiantly held her chin up. “I am doing this merely for the sake of old times.”
 
“I am grateful,” he said.
 
Silence.
 
“Youngbae is a good man,” Jiyong broke the silence, trying to distract himself as Sandara tend to his wound.
 
“I know that,” she stiffly said.
 
He smiled. “He’s quite handsome, too”.
 
“I am not after what a person looks!”
 
“I know that. If you were, you would not associate yourself with me before,” he snorted.
 
“I think you’re quite good looking yourself,” she confessed. “Charming.”
 
“Charming?” he laughed. “Oh my, you never fail to amuse me.”
 
Silence again.
 
“Open your heart to him, Sandara.”
 
“I do not want to hear any of that anymore! I am a Princess! How dare you tell me what to do?”
 
“I am simply-”
 
“I’m done,” she said, standing up. “Inform me if you’re in pain.”
 
She stormed out of the chamber.
 
“How is he?” Youngbae asked the moment she arrived in their chamber.
 
“He shall live through with it. He had worst,” she absentmindedly said.
 
“He saved me.”
 
Sandara smiled a little. “Yes, ‘tis Jiyong.”
 
“You two seemed tight,” Youngbae observed .Sandara tensed for a moment but when she looked at him and saw nothing but curiosity in his eyes, she relaxed.
 
“He’s a friend,” she simply stated.
 
“I see,” Youngbae nodded. He started unarming himself.
 
“Let me,” Sandara volunteered.
 
Youngbae looked surprise but it was quickly replaced by a satisfied smile as he nodded. He silently watched her as she unarmed him. And when he was down to his underpants, she gave him a silk robe.
 
“Is the bath ready?” he asked.
 
“It has been prepared a while ago, my lord,” she answered nervously.
 
“Why do you sound so nervous, my wife? We have done this before. A lot of times, actually.”
 
“I’m merely-”
 
Youngbae’s head swooped down to reach for her lips. Sandara didn’t attempt to protest, it is of no use. And like he pointed out before, ‘tis normal for a married couple to enjoy things like this. He started untying the laces of her dress while his mouth continued to devour hers, conquer hers. The girl gave a helpless whimper as she molded her body with his, taking off the only clothing he has.
 
As soon as both were free of their clothing, he easily lifted her off her feet and carried her to the bath chamber, all the while never breaking the kiss. He stepped on a stool and climbed over to the wooden tub which was filled with water and petals of roses. He scooted, trying to fit himself in the small space provided, causing water to rise over the brim and fall to the floor. He broke the kiss to position his little wife on top of him, hands never ceasing to explore her beauty.
 
He saw the desire in her eyes. He knows ‘tis all he could get from her: desire. He could never get her heart but he shall keep on trying to win it, no matter what it takes. Indeed, his wife is responsive but only to his touches. He is not ignorant or even hypocrite to claim that she also returns his affection. But if ‘tis the only thing he could get form her, he shall have it.
 
“Kiss me,” he asked of her. Her eyes sparked and let her hands rest on his chest that is deep in the water. She leaned forward, parted her lips and brushed her lips on his.
 
It was later, when both were under the covers of the bed, , when Sandara finally confronted him.
 
“My sister is still alive,” she quietly said. Of course, she thought. She was too hurt not t notice before that her sister’s body wasn’t brought back to be burned. Youngbae, who was caught by surprise, nevertheless expected this to come.
 
“She is,” he quietly confirmed.
 
“Is. . . is there anyway to get my sister back?” she asked.
 
“There are ways. But the North is a strong kingdom.”
 
“There’s no hope then,” she concluded, voice breaking.
 
* * *
 
Youngbae stared up ahead of him. For two nights, his wife had been dreaming about her sister. Declaring war will do them no good. The North has highly-skilled knights. And- his thoughts stopped as he heard the sound of the trumpet.
 
With a frown, he waited for whatever message there is for him.
 
A messenger stepped in, bowed and knelt in front of him. He was shaking. From what? One doesn’t know.
 
“My lord, the East. . .“ he stuttered.
 
“Yes?” Youngbae urged on, tensing.
 
“The East has been attacked. The towers failed for the first time.”
 
One heartbeat of silence passed.
 
“Impossible,” Youngbae breathed.
 
“I saw it with my own eyes, my lord.”
 
“My people? The knights? What has been made of them?”
 
The messenger’s body shook hard. “T-the knights were beheaded and burned. Your people. . . were captured and were brought to the North. I suspect they’ll be made into slave.s”
 
* * *
 
“You cannot do that!” Sandara exploded.
 
“Yes, I can,” Youngbae stubbornly disagreed.
 
“No, you cannot! And what of my people? You know very well they are not skilled enough to fight yet!”
 
“I shall not force any of them to join me.”
 
Sandara stiffened. “Can it not wait?! Some of your men had been training my people. Can you not wait for them to be fully trained?”
 
Youngbae took a step back, surprise written all over his face. “You want your people to join me?”
 
A bitter smile curved her lips. “I told you, Southerners are the most loyal people there is. I am afraid you have gained their allegiance and loyalty. And what of this you speak? They are your people now, too.”
 
“Dara, I am-”
 
“No, do not thank me. I want my sister back, too. ‘Tis my only reason.”
 
She turned to leave.
 
“Your heart,” he quietly said. “Is it still own by another?”
 
“I do not know of what you speak,” she stiffly said. “But the possibility of me giving my heart to you has diminished when you sent my family to their death.”
 
She might have owed him a lot but that does not change that HE did send her family to their death.
 
* * *
 
“You cannot go alone!” a man protested. The people burst into an angry chorus of agreement.
 
“And I certainly cannot bring you with me,” Youngbae called loudly. He looked down at the angry crowd of men in front of him. “Let us be true to ourselves. You all know you are not skilled enough to fight. The North has strong warriors, you cannot victor that. If you come with me, you shall meet death. Do you want that? Do you want to leave your family behind? To leave the elders, your wives, your children behind? And when we fail, who will protect those who were left behind? They will be enslaved or worse, slaughtered. This is my battle. I have nothing to lose. My parents are dead. My people are gone. My kingdom has been claimed. But you- all of you still-”
 
“What about the Princess?” someone interrupted him bravely. Youngbae’s eyes met those of the speaker, Jiyong. “Are you also going to leave her behind, defenseless?”
 
“That is why I want to go alone,” Youngbae levelly said. “If I fail, I shall not worry of Sandara’s safety.”
 
“You worry about the loss of our family if we join you,” another man voiced out. “Are you not worried of what the Princess might feel if you die?”
 
Murmurs broke out among the men.
 
“You said your people are gone. You said your kingdom has been claimed,” the man continued. “Do you not consider us your people? Do you not consider South as your kingdom?’
 
“Of course I do!” Youngbae exclaimed.
 
“Then we shall fight with you.”
 
“Listen, you do not-” Youngbae started.
 
“A man, no matter how strong and brave he is, is still a man. You cannot win a battle alone,” Jiyong said.
 
“There is a greater chance for us to win if we do this together,” a knight said. “And besides, we cannot let Princess Durami remain in the clutches of the North king forever.”