. . . And So It Was Revealed

The Selfless Love
The night has deepened as the darkness enveloped the Earth. Not a single movement can be observed in the South except for the night patrollers who are taking in full guard of the gates. Fully awake and alert, they let their eyes wander over the edges; let their ears attuned to any slight disturbance of the silent night and let their senses be sensitive to unnecessary movements.
 
Far away from that, a lone figure in a black, billowing cloak hurriedly went down to the chambers underground. There was a mixture of hesitancy and urgency in the person's steps. As soon as she reached her destination, she didn't pause to wait and sought entrance to a particular chamber.
 
“Jiyong,” she quietly called. There was a stir in the white-covered bed.
 
“Princess?”
 
“It is me,” she answered as she waited for him to approach her. Slowly, a figure came to her.
 
“Princess, it is unlikely and unrightly the time to have our night wanderings across the land,” he said.
 
“I came here not for our night strolls, Jiyong.”
 
“Then what is it you sought after me, Dara?”
 
She didn't reply at once for she knew he might take it wrongly. She knew it is unright for her to do. But she fears that if she won't ask him of this, they'll never get the chance to do so, for he'll be eaten by his guilt.
 
“Take me away. Let us flee. Take me away from here,” she said.
 
Jiyong was appalled. “My Princess, are you fully aware of what you ask of me?”
 
“Yes I am. I heard Father and Mother talking a while ago. The wedding will take place a day after the morrow. I just realized then that I only desire to be wed to you.”
 
He was silent.
 
“Jiyong, 'tis only the time I ask you of something,” she pleaded.
 
“But we cannot flee. You have a duty to the Southerners, to your people.”
 
“What about my happiness and freedom to choose?”
 
Again, he turned silent.
 
“Sandara, you gave your word already. You have agreed to the marriage.”
 
She felt ashamed for what he said was right. As the Princess of the South, she is obliged to honor her words. She regretted her decision of turning down Jiyong's plea of fleeing away before. And now, it might be too late.
 
“I know that. But my heart becomes restless as the day of the wedding nears. Now it all dawned on me, I find it hard to see myself beside anyone else but you. Please Jiyong.”
 
“Sandara,” he breathed and imprisoned her face in his hands. He leaned his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. For a moment, they stood motionless. For a moment, she pleaded silently to the stars. For a moment, he let his heart decide and take over his mind and what is right.
 
“Very well,” he said, pulling back. “Let us flee together.”
 
A bright smile dawned on her face as the corner of her eyes started b with tears.
 
“Thank you, Jiyong.”
 
“Let us be quick,” he said and quickly packed a few selected things. “How about you, Princess?”
 
“I already packed what is necessary,” she answered.
 
A small smile crept to his lips. “You planned this well.”
 
“I did,” she slyly said.
 
“You never fail to astound me with your wit, Sandara,” he chuckled. “'Tis might be useful for a battle strategy,” he added and peered through the door.
 
“I am glad that I can still astound you.”
 
“You always do,” he said. “'Tis clear. Let us go.”
 
They held hands and started running. Sandara can hear her own heartbeat inside her head. She is afraid, yes - but not for herself. If they get caught, Jiyong's going to pay for it, not her.
 
“It is unlikely for a Princess to be up this late,” a voice said through the darkness. A steely gasp came from Sandara as she recognized her mother's face. She and Jiyong stopped in their tracks.
 
“Mother!”
 
A woman stepped out of the darkness, a stern look in her face. She looked at the both of them.
 
“Your Highnes, let me-”
 
“Silence!” she quietly said. The word was not spoken loudly and yet, Sandara and Jiyong felt a chill ran up and down their spine.
 
“Mother, I-”
 
“I am disappointed with the both of you,” the queen said. “I have expected more than this from you, Kwon Jiyong.”
 
“It is not his doing, Mother. I love him!”
 
“And you, Sandara. You know very well what will happen if I let you go. Are you so in love that you can sacrifice the lives of our people? Can two people's happiness amount to the hundred of lives at peril? Is it really worth it, Sandara?”
 
The both of them ran out of words, both knew the queen was right- they are being selfish.
 
“I shall accept the consequences of my reckless action, Your Highness,” Jiyong spoke.
 
“You know very well this is punishable by death, Jiyong.”
 
“I shall accept my fate,” Jiyong serenely responded.
 
“No, I cannot allow that!” Sandara protested.
 
“Silence!” the queen once again said but the girl didn't heed as she went to her knees and grabbed the hem of the Queen's robe.
 
“Mother, I beg you,” she cried. The Queen's face softened.
 
“Jiyong, I command you to go back to your chamber. I shall think of another punishment for you. Also, let us be quiet about this event. I don't want to jeopardize our current situation. Sandara, rise.”
 
* * *
 
Youngbae saw Sandara mounted on a horse. He specifically asked the King to make the Princess as his guide in the land. He wanted to see himself what kind protection is neeed. He needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of the land.
 
“I hope you have not lost your patience for my arrival, Princess. If I was informed earlier that you are already here, I would not have kept you waiting. I am ashamed to keep such beauty waiting.”
 
“Apologies are in order, I believe but not for flattering words,” she retorted.
 
“May I ask what brought this foul mood at such early time?”
 
“Riding a horse makes me anxious for I was not trained to ride one. I am afraid that the horse might throw me off his back if I am too gentle or too stiff. I am rather restless right now.”
 
Youngbae chuckled. “Well then, it seemed appropriate to just use one horse. But we shall ride Jug-eum for he is stronger than this one you're riding. Jug-eum can carry the both of us without tiring himself that much.”
 
He signaled the boy and asked Jug-eum to be brought out.
 
“One horse?” Sandara asked.
 
“Yes, you shall ride with me. In that way, I can teach you the basics of riding a horse.”
 
“Is it necessary to learn?” she asked.
 
“Yes, it is. Now, if you can dismount the-”
 
“I don't know how,” she interfered, raising her chin defiantly. 'Tis not easy for her to admit such flaws but lying would not do her good in any way, too. “I don't know how I got on this horse's back, either.”
 
Amusement came upon Youngbae's face; seemingly he got a lot to teach the Princess. But for now, he'll tend to the current problem at hand first. Without saying anything, he put both hands on either side of her waist and pulled her out of the horse's back. Sandara was surprised by the gesture that she gave a squeal and struggled, unbalancing Youngbae a little. As her feet landed on the ground, her body jerkily moved forward to his. Her face ended up on his chest while he securely wrapped his arms around her.
 
“Easy,” he said, blowing warm air into her right ear. She hastily moved away from him and fixed herself.
 
“I'm sorry. I was surprised,” she said.
 
“I'm at fault. I should have warned you.”
 
“My lord, Jug-eum is ready.”
 
“Very well,” Youngbae said and turned back to Sandara.
 
“H-he looks scary,” she breathed.
 
“Indeed, he is a giant and a fierce-looking one, too. But he can be gentle if he wants to, especially when a woman touches him. Come.”
 
“I had a change of heart. I think it is better to roam the land by foot,” she said, taking a step backwards.
 
“Do not fear. I would not let anything happen to my betrothed,” he assured her. However, her face remained passive, hesitant. Seeing this Youngbae said, “trust me.”
 
There was somewhat a comforting note in his voice that made Sandara step forward. A frown marred her forehead for she found it impossible to see a gentle side with Youngbae. She heard a lot of rumors about how brutal he can be, though it is also impossible to believe such feat for he wears a very gentle face and charming eyes. She had met him a few times before, when the whole country gather for festivities but she never really paid attention to him. Now that she got the chance to look at him, he's actually. . . charming.
 
“Your stare is melting me, Princess,” his voce broke into her senses. She gave a start and bowed, feeling the heat crept to her fair cheeks.
 
“I apologize for my rude behavior, my lord.”
 
“Have I not told you to call me Youngbae?”
 
“Forgive me again, I forgot,” she answered.
 
“Your birthname's quite long. Do you mind if I call you Dara?”
 
“Dara?” she asked back, dumbfounded.
 
“Yes. The name fits you, don't you agree? Dara is quite short and so are you,” he chuckled. The horse suddenly neighed. “I believe Jug-eum is getting impatient. He said he wants you to get on his back already.”
 
“Is that so? I didn't know you talk to horses.”
 
“Don't worry; we have a lot of time ahead of us to get to know each other. However, I believe we already wasted our precious time. Come and let us explore the land of the South. You shall be my guide, are you not?”
 
“And what will I get in return?” she asked in a merry tone.
 
“I shall give you free lessons in horseback riding”.
 
“Oh, so you were planning to charge me with your lessons at first? I must say, you are a sly one, Youngbae.”
 
“I was told I was,” he chuckled. “You caught me there. The truth is, I was planning to ask for your time in exchange of the lessons.”
 
Sandara blushed again. “Are we going or not?” she asked instead. Youngbae chuckled again and offered his hand to her. She accepted it despite the doubts and torn feelings she's having. Again, without giving her a warning, he grabbed her waist and carried her over Jug-eum's back.
 
“I would be grateful if you could at least warn me when you plan to do that,” Sandara stiffly said.
 
“My apologies.”
 
“How am I going to learn to mount if you always do that?”
 
“It is not yet time for your lessons, Dara. Right now, we shall dedicate our time to roam the land. It is far important for me to know the weaknesses of your land so I can immediately aid to it for your protection and rest of the Southerners.”
 
She chose to remain silent and just nodded in response for she knew he was right. A small smile curved his lips then, making her uneasy and was amazed with the way his eyes turned so small. He then climbed on the horse's back himself and reached out around her for the reins. His arms were touching hers as well as his chest was approximately close to her back.
 
Feeling Youngbae's chest behind her made Sandara stiff, for she did not want to get too intimately close to someone aside from her family and Jiyong. But she cannot do anything for their touching arms since she was also holding onto the reins. Though she knew it is not necessary because his arms made sure she won't fall off.
 
Youngbae clicked is tongue and gave a small kick on Jug-eum's belly. The beast started walking slowly, as if reading his master's desire of spending the whole day with the Princess. Slowly, Jug-eum walked, much to Youngbae's satisfaction.
 
“You will experience back pain if you continue holding your back so stiffly, Dara. You can lean on me,” he said a while later.
 
“I am doing very well,” she answered.
 
“Relax,” he whispered in her left ear, the tip of his nose brushing against the skin in her ear.