. . . And So, Their Eyes Met Again

The Selfless Love
The resounding blow of the trumpet alerted the Southerners of the arrival of their guests. 'Tis not only in the tower for the people of the South gathered on the sidewalk of the streets to welcome the local yet stranger guests. As much as the guests were highly respected, they were also feared.
 
One, in particular, made the commoners shiver and shy away. No one dared to look straight into his eyes for his mere presence emanates such strong and fierce aura that no one can doubt the strength he has, this particular one ride a steed as black as the moonless and starless night sky. The beast that is named Jug-eum has a well-established reputation as gloriously and terrifyingly beautiful that could pounce two warriors at the same time, opposite the looks with his master. For his master, as young as twenty and three, merely looked like someone younger his age. He wears a face that of a gentle and kind young boy that anyone would not believe the tales told about him: the tale of a warrior.
 
“Halt!” he shouted. A sudden eerie silence filled the air, preposterous as it may sound, but even the horses became very still; even the wind stopped blowing; even the dust froze in the air. His voice may sound like that of a charming, sweet kid but the power and authority in it can never be mistaken or misinterpreted. Anyone reached by his voice would never dare disobey him.
 
“Is this the kind of greetings people of the South prepared for me?” his loud booming voice echoed. There was a brush of unsettledness among the commoners, their feet shifting against the soil. A royal servant in a uniform quickly came forward and bowed so low, the tip of his nose almost reached his boots.
 
“My apologies, my lord. The Majesties and the people of the South have prepared your much-awaited arrival in the walls of our castle. If you and your knights may, I can lead you to where the festivities lay.”
 
“I was rather expecting a parade would greet my arrival,” he said, not hiding the disappointment in his voice.
 
“Pardon, my lord but fear has taken its toll among the hearts of the people. It is unlikely to them to have such feat.”
 
“If they feel fear, then they do not know me that much.”
 
“Forgive us, my lord, but if you may, please let me lead you inside.”
 
“And who shall tend to our horses?” Youngbae asked.
 
“Taemin here will see to them. He is highly-ski-”
 
“Very well,” he responded.
 
They all dismounted their horses. As soon as the thirty men were on their feet, they quickly piled in five straight lines even without orders.
 
“Lead the way,” Youngbae turned to the servant.
 
 
Sandara raised her chin proudly and gracefully just like a swan held its neck. Her hair was half-tied in a clean knot as a few strands of wavy hair rested on her shoulders.
 
“I'm glad that you're finally getting married, my dear sister. You're passed the marrying age already,” Sanghyun laughed.
 
“I refuse to be taunted by you, my dear brother. I don't want to face my betrothed in a foul mood,” she calmly said, earning nods of approval from her parents and the rest of the people in the table. “But I'll deal with you later,” she whispered darkly to him, barely moving her lips.
 
“He is right,” Durami happily joined in. Still, the older girl smiled, showing everyone in the room how a fine lady of royal blood should act.
 
“Side with him all you want but I shall not be affected by it” she smiled sweetly to the others, then widened her eyes at her sister, making the younger one chuckle in delight. It is not a common knowledge that the eldest of the Parks has a playful character for she always present a character of that a well-mannered lady to everyone. It is as expected of her, of course. As the eldest, she bears the responsibility of being a good model not just to her siblings but to the people as well. She is obliged to show an authoritative yet democratic image, for thus, she will gain their respect and loyalty.
 
“I hope that you, Durami won't be exceeding the ideal marrying age, too,” she said in high spirits, making the occupants of the table chuckle. She may be forbidden to certain things, but she's still allowed to give a few merry lines to ease the heavy atmosphere.
 
For behind her well-studied smile lies a broken heart. Her eyes strayed over to the doors, where two royal guards stood. She gazed upon one in particular and quickly looked away. No, she thought. She should not be swayed by those two beautiful eyes. Those eyes that captured hers will soon be washed away and long gone. Those eyes that scream of unspoken love will never be seen again.
 
But she should not. It is her duty and responsibility to protect the Southerners from the threat of the Northeners. Still, it is a mystery as to why the Northeners suddenly declared war against the children of the South. They are not a weak kingdom; however, they are not as powerful as the North; not as indestructible as the East and not as strong as the West. It is known that they do not sand a chance against the Northeners. Her father tried to form an alliance with the West but the king remained neutral. He neither sides with the South nor the North. And so, her father went to sought help from the East.
 
The King of the East recently died due to an illness, leaving his kingdom and throne to his only and famous son, Dong Youngbae. And in exchange of the East's help, a marriage has been agreed upon.
 
"Your Majesties, advisers, members of the royal court, the guests has arrived.”
 
The king raised his hand and signaled the jugglers, musicians and other entertainers to start the welcoming number. At the cue, the hired entertainers started their welcoming act. The sound of tambourines, drums, harps, different instruments as well as the voices of the singers grew louder as the knights of the East arrived, led by Dong Youngbae. The occupants of the table rose and greeted them. Despite the enthusiastic welcome, Youngbae's face remained blank except for the stern set of his mouth, with which some may think is a sign of disapproval or to some, may be a gesture of just reservation.
 
“This way, my lord,” the royal servant gestured. Youngbae took the seat beside the King while his knights were led to another table since the first one cannot accommodate such size. When eveyone's settled, all heads were turned to the entertainers. As the last note reverberated through the hall, applause was heard followed by the bowing of the group.
 
The King then stood, and waited for everyone to subside with their clapping. One by one, all heads now turned to the King. As soon as he saw this, he gave everyone a warm smile and raised his arms, welcomingly.
 
“My dear friends, at the time when the King of the North announced their plans of taking over, I called upon you all. We have come to the conclusion that we cannot stand against them, leading me to seek help from our neighboring kingdoms. Our first attempt was met with failure as the Westerners refused to give a hand. Someday they’ll need our help too but we shall not refuse them, we shall give what we can to help our brothers. We are not a kingdom of revenge, rather of justice and peace. However, at this moment, peace is nigh but an unreachable star, for we shall be forced to stand guard and defend the sons and daughters of the South. For a moment, I lost hope but I told myself there is still the kingdom of the East. The stars finally smiled upon us for they have agreed. To make two kingdoms as one, we have agreed for a marriage involving my eldest daughter, Sandara Park, daughter of the South to Dong Youngbae, son of the East.”
 
Applause soon followed the King's speech. He gestured for his daughter to rise, and so she did. Youngbae, on the other hand is eyeing his betrothed silently. How long has it been since he last saw her? Still, she wears the same angelic smile that's being held by a chin with which she presents gracefully and proudly. She still had the same brows, same brown eyes, same dark brown hair only, it is now knotted halfway with a few strand of curls falling onto her slightly bared shoulders. She was wearing a red dress with brown and gold linings braided into the cloth. Her overlong sleeves makes it impossible for him to see her arms but the cut of the dress on her shoulders gave him enough glimpse of how smooth and pearly white her skin is.
 
His personal guard, Jun Ki, who as always is standing behind him coughed a little. Youngbae straightened and looked around him, only to see that every eye was turned to him, all of them wearing a look of apprehension and that of anxiety.
 
“I am delighted to have agreed,” he said, making everyone return to their normal breathing. “With such beauty being presented, I would have mourned if I haven't said yes,” he added, earning laughter from everyone, making the atmosphere light.
 
“Thank you, Your Highness,” the girl said, bowing slightly to him.
 
“I preferred to be called Youngbae by my betrothed,” he said.
 
“Then Youngbae it is,” she answered, giving him a soft smile. He was tempted to smile back but he refrained himself from doing so, out of habit. Time and experience had thought him that a stern face usually gains respect and fear. Jun Ki coughed silently again. He knew it was his cue to start the meal. He cleared his throat and stood up, gesturing the King and Sandara to take their seats.
 
“Before we start, I would like to invite a friend, a brother during the times when four kingdoms united against the rebellion of the children of the Middle lands. He, who bravely fought beside me even the lack of proper training,” he paused and looked at one of the royal guards standing at the door, “Kwon Jiyong, my brother at war, give us the honor of accepting my invitation to join this table.”
 
The royal guard stirred. “My lord, I fear I cannot-”
 
"Kwon Jiyong, join us,” the King said.
 
A look of hesitancy crossed Jiyong's face. But the King gave a direct order, he is bound to follow, his oath at the least. He laid his shield and spear at one side and slowly walked to the chair Youngbae pulled for him. As soon as he was seated, Youngbae formally announced to begin the meal.
 
“I was not aware that our royal guard was one of the brave ones who defended our lands, Father,” Sandara said, giving a swift glance at the royal guard sitting in front of her.
 
“I was not aware of that, too. Only recently he has joined the royal guards,” the King said.
 
“It has been shown to me that Jiyong is rather a quiet and humble person who prefers to stay back during victory but to move forward in front during times of bloodshed and agony,” Youngbae said, secretly arrowing a few people who only showed themselves when victory was at hand.
 
“It is an honor to fight for the South,” Jiyong said, taking a swift glance at the Princess.
 
“Still, you astound me with your bravery, Jiyong. Such bravery at such a young age is admirable,” Youngbae said.
 
“You speak of praises I don't truly deserve, my lord. When in fact, you're as young as me and you have already proven a hundred times your ability as a warrior,” Jiyong answered back.
 
Sandara saw a look of respect flashed across Youngbae's face. This surprised her. It is unlikely for someone like him to show respect to his subordinates. But then again, it is Jiyong they’re talking about.
 
“Such smart replies challenge me,” Youngbae lightly said.
 
“My apologies, my lord. It is not in my intent to challenge you.”
 
“No worries there, Jiyong. I don't want to fight a brother,”
 
She glanced around and saw how the others looked surprise by the exchange of conversation between Youngbae and Jiyong. She knew most of them disapproves the current event but then, they're obviously afraid of offending Youngbae or Taeyang, the Sun of the East.
 
* * *
 
The entertainers started to leave as soon as the festivities ended. Slowly, the hall started to be emptied.
 
“I would like to stay here for a while. I still have to give my men a few instructions regarding the night patrol. And if you may, I want your head knight to be sent here,” Youngbae said.
 
“Yes, my lord,” the other royal guard said.
 
“Jiyong, stay,” Youngbae said. Sandara glanced up.
 
“Youngbae, I am in debt with you for agreeing to this,” the King said. “Do you need anything else?”
 
“Nothing, Your Highness, just a little privacy if you may,” he said.
 
“I understand,” the king answered and called on to his wife and children. They all followed him. But Sandara lingered silently, wanting to have a word with someone. She peered through the slightly opened door. Her eyes widened in surprise as she saw Youngbae hugged Jiyong.
 
“It has been a while, Jiyong,” Youngbae said. Jiyong gave a light laugh and tapped the former's back lightly.
 
“You haven't changed, Youngbae, still as brooding as ever in front of an audience. When will you take the mask off, my friend?”
 
A sudden fear hit Sandara's heart. She never knew Youngbae and Jiyong's brotherly bond. She knew right then and there that EVERYTHING is about to change.