. . . And So, It Was Tragic

The Selfless Love
“No, my lord. But my mind cannot understand.”
 
“Maybe ‘tis something you should not understand.”
 
A look of surprise crossed Jiyong’s face at the bluntness of his friend. But he chose to remain silent. Eventhough they are friends, Youngbae is still a royalty while he will remained a subordinate.
 
“My apologies,” he mumbled.
 
Youngbae was silent for a moment. “Let us get to the matter at hand. I have summoned you because I want to inform you that starting tonight, you will be leading the others in guarding the border. Can you live up to it?”
 
“Yes I can,” he answered.
 
“Very well. You can leave.”
 
Jiyong stood up and bowed for the last time before turning around to leave. He was about to pull the door when it suddenly flew open, revealing a thunderous Sandara. But as their eyes met, Sandara’s face turned gentle with longing. It did not escape Jiyong’s eyes and he hoped Youngbae did not notice it. He chose to ignore the expression.
 
“Princess,” he bowed and moved on. Sandara was left breathless for a moment. But she forcefully composed herself, her face going back to a thunderous feat.
 
“Is it true? You are sending my family to the East?”
 
“Yes,” Youngbae answered.
 
“And is it true that I shall be left behind?”
 
“Yes,” Youngbae answered again.
 
“But why?”
 
“Do you not want to secure the safety of your family? In the East, they will be safer compared here. The towers guarding my castle are indestructible. You know this.”
 
“Of course I do!” she spat impatiently. “But why should I part ways with my family? Why should I be separated from them? They are my family, my place is with them.”
 
“Why seek for the answer you already know? You are my wife; your place is beside me.”
 
A bitter smile formed her lips. “Of course,” she slowly said. “For the mere reason of being your wife, I’m obligated to stay beside you.”
 
“Indeed,” he said. “However, I’m afraid I do not approve of the word mere appropriate. I do not find you staying beside me as my wife as a MERE reason.”
 
“Think of it however you like. Still, it does not change the waiting misery and longing you’re throwing me into.”
 
“How can it be misery when you can be assured of their safety? Though, I admit that longing ‘tis you will suffer but you should be grateful that ‘tis only a temporary separation. Do you want to suffer endless longing because of their death?”
 
“I was not forewarned! I was not prepared for this sudden parting of ways!” she angrily exclaimed, desperately informing him of what she truly feels.
 
“Forgive me for such short notice. I have my own reasons and I shall let it be that way. You can however, still bid your farewell since there’s still time for that.”
 
Sandara’s chin jutted forward, an indication that she disapproves of her dismissal. However, she did not speak a single word but turned around sharply, her dress billowing softly behind her.
 
 
Sandara planted a kiss on each cheek of her father followed by her mother, sister and brother.
 
“Take care of yourself and your husband,” Sanghyun teased.
 
“My child, I understand your despair. But your place is beside Youngbae now. A fine lady knows this,” the Queen said.
 
“I know, Mother,” she choked.
 
“Hush now, my dear. Once ‘tis over, we shall be reunited again,” her father assured her.
 
“True. And I hope to see little babies soon,” Dami added.
 
Sandara just gave everyone a weak smile and dared not response.
 
As the sound of the trumpet reverberated through the grounds, she took her last minute hugs and bid them farewell, silently praying that they shall have a safe two-day journey to the East, praying all will be over soon, that peace shall reign again.
 
* * *
 
“I want to be alone!” she announced again.
 
She ran off to the secret place where she always finds comfort and solace. As she reached that place, tears started to fall again just like yesterday. Hushed footsteps made her aware of a company. She lifted her eyes and saw him. She ran to him and flung herself in his arms, letting the pain take over her.
 
“It will be okay,” he whispered. “Youngbae knows what he’s doing.”
 
She stayed in the comfort of his arms for some time, until the sound of a horn broke their peace.
 
“Something happened,” Jiyong announced with wide eyes.
 
“What is it?”
 
“That’s the horn of death.”
 
Dread gripped Sandara’s heart like ice-cold metal chains. She tried to drive the dreadful thoughts away from her mind but she failed. Without bothering to think of her appearance, she ran back to the castle and sought for Youngbae.
 
“What has happened?” she asked him.
 
“I do not know yet, let us wait.”
 
Not long after, a commoner was sent forward accompanied by two knights.
 
“My lord, there seem to be an ambush. And. . .no one survived.”
 
“What is this you’re saying?”
 
“P-princess. I regret to bear you the news but while I was traveling through the grounds to trade with the midlands, I happened to pass by the. . . your family’s carriage. All of them. . . were dead, some were beheaded, others were forked in a spear. I . .” the commoner stuttered.
 
Sandara paled, her circulation seemed to cease. “No,” she denied, shaking her head.
 
Upon seeing Sandara’s distraught, Youngbae called for the maid in waiting. “Bring my wife to our chamber and tend to her,” he said. The maid nodded and assisted her lady out of the hall. The Princess seemed too distraught to even response or protest.
 
“What of the knights?” he asked the commoner.
 
“All dead, my lord, arrows through their chest.”
 
Youngbae’s face turned grim. A moment of silence came as a thousand possibilities ran around his mind. It seemed well-planned, hearing that the best knights did not even get to fight. Were they really waiting all along by the road or someone tipped them off? Betrayal or coincidence?
 
“M-my lord,” the commoner stuttered again. “If you may, I have forgotten on detail.”
 
“What is it?” he asked sharply.
 
“I. . . I haven’t seen Princess Durami’s body.”
 
Youngbae was silent. Of course, the North wanted to get Durami, she’s the reason why they declared war against the South. Then, it is safe to conclude that she has been captured.
 
They officially started the war he thought.
 
“Send a retrieving party to bring their bodies back here”, he ordered.
 
“Acted upon, my lord.”
 
Youngbae hung up his head. How was she going to explain to Sandara everything? Or should he even tell her the truth? What about her sister’s fate? Thinking of what the truth would do to her made him decide not to tell her anything as of the moment. Knowing about her family’s death is already tragic, to know about the truth and her sister might be too much for her. No, he shall keep it a secret from her for the time being.
 
He must resolve the treachery first. His instincts are telling him that a traitor lies amidst. Tell yet, his instincts never went wrong. Still, he wants to deny the betrayal. He could not bring himself that someone he trusts betrayed him.
 
Only, there were a few number of people who knew about the departure of the family. It shall take days of travel time to reach the place where the Parks were ambushed. It was him, Jun Ki, Jiyong and the two head knights. But the two head knights died along with the others.
 
It only left him with Jun Ki and Jiyong. Who could the traitor be?
 
* * *
 
He was greeted by a flying vase the moment he entered the chamber. He was quick enough to dodge it, avoiding any damage it would have inflicted on his face. However, he cannot escape the wrath of his wife.
 
“I despise you! You sent my family to their death! My father, my mother, Durami and my little Sanghyun! All of them are now gone! I shall never see them again because of you!”
 
“Dara, you must understand. I did not wish for their death. I did not-”
 
“Oh yes you did! You knew all along that the North is planning to attack us, but still, you sent my family away. Chances of them crossing paths with the enemies are too COINCIDENTAL, do you think not?”
 
“Do not give me sentences with underlying messages, Dara,” he stormed.
 
“Why not?”
 
“It was an ambush! No one expected-“
 
“An ambush? How can it be? They knew the right time and right place! There must be some conspiracy going on!”
 
“What are you trying to imply? That I planned their death?!” Youngbae thundered. “Why would I do that?”
 
“Because you want to take our kingdom! You want to take it all!”
 
A hand landed hard on Sandara’s right cheek, sending her flying to the floor. Sandara cupped her cheek, panting. The pain stung her cheek menacingly.
 
“I shall not be spoken like that again!” Youngbae said through grinding teeth and stormed out of the room, leaving Sandara crying.
 
Later that evening, Youngbae arrived in the chamber with Sandara standing by the fireplace.
 
“’Tis already late. You should be in bed,” he started.
 
“I shall not share my bed with you,” she answered.
 
Youngbae let out an angry sigh. “What do you desire me to do? Kill myself, too? It won’t bring your family back!”
 
“It may not bring them back, but it shall bring them justice,” she said in acidic tone.
 
“Have you not known me for the past sixty days and more of our marriage? How can you think so lowly of me? You dare suspect me for planning the death of your family when all I ever did was protect you!”
 
“If ‘tis what you call protection, then I’d rather give myself to the Northeners!”
 
Youngbae was appalled. But then, he forced to compose himself.
 
“If ‘tis what you desire, you are free to go,” he quickly said. ‘Twas Sandara’s turn to pale.
 
“How could you?” she gasped.
 
“Just living up to the image you made up for me,” he darkly said.
 
“You’re cruel!” she cried and pound her tiny fists on his chest. “You’re heartless! Your soul is as black as coal! I cannot believe you also wish for my death!”
 
Youngbae’s face turned red with anger. He took hold of her two flailing arms and imprisoned them in one hand, over his chest.
 
“I do not wish for your death, you fool!”
 
“Yes, you do!” she cried. “What else could be the reason of you sending me away to the North? You’re heartless! You only care about the kingdom! You don’t care-!”
 
The rest of her words were drowned inside as Youngbae sealed her lips shut with his own. She stood frozen, like a statue, unresponding. No, she does not welcome his attempts, does not want his kisses, dislike it. But then, similarly like before, she started feeling the vulnerability in his kiss, HIS vulnerability. It always gives her the impression that she has the upperhand; that she is in control of him; that he is at her mercy. His vulnerability unnerved her for it is so unlikely for him to have a weakness. The vulnerability coming from him is totally opposite of her knowledge about him as a person.
 
She hated it and was awed by it at the same time. Hated it- for she is certain of the person that truly holds her heart but Youngbae is making her feel otherwise. Awed by it- for she cannot believe she could have this much power over him.
 
And just like before, she surrendered and yielded to him. His strength, she can fight. His vulnerability? That she cannot resist.