Chapter 8

Spawn of the Devil

Sunny was standing right before Father Ahn, ready to do him harm. Father Ahn fearfully looked at her with eyes begging her not to lay a finger on him.

“You think your religion can save you now? You think your prayers are going to work?” Sunny cackled loudl, which turned the altar table over, landing on the poor old priest. Father Ahn struggled to get the table off of him but Sunny’s anger only added weight to it, making it harder for him to get up. The altar boys heard the commotion and came dashing out of their study room. Seeing Sunny, Sungmin ditched the other altar boys and went straight home, hoping to avoid temptation which arose each time he saw her. The altar boys saw Father Ahn under the table, bruised and weakened. The head of the Bible study stepped up to Sunny and confronted her.

“What is your problem, you little serpent?” Sunny glared at him. He was big and fat with his hands on his hips.

“Did you just say, serpent?” Sunny hissed. And sure enough, there was hissing again. Like what she did with her father, she made snakes emerge from behind the altar, from underneath the statues and of course from underneath the benches. Pretty soon, nearly the entire floor was creeping with snakes. The altar boy tried to move but each step he took corresponded to a vicious hiss from either a cobra or a python. Sunny pointed at him and with fuming mad eyes and quick, heavy breathing, the lights went out and the statues started to bleed. The other altar boys were busy helping Father Ahn get back to his feet when the priest yelled out.

“EXORCISE HER! SHE’S POSSESSED BY A DEMON!” Sunny glared at him and with her eyes commanded the cobra to attack Father Ahn. The devil cobra slithered its way toward Father Ahn, prompting the altar boys that were tending to him to move faster but the cobra found its way to his leg and inejected poisonous venom into Father Ahn’s leg, killing him instantly. The altar boys saw the good priest on the brink of fainting. His mouth began to bubble and his pupils dilated. It wasn’t soon before long, he died.

“THE HOLY WATER!” yelled one altar boy. He tossed the holy water to his companion but like the first bottle, Sunny burned it down to the ground. Pretty soon, they found Father Ahn’s body floating in midair. They tried to stop Sunny by going near her but she resisted by pushing them by force to the floor. Father Ahn was suspended and Sunny, using only her eyes, opened him up by the stomach, taking his intestines out, making them hang from the open midsection. The good priest was hung by his skin on the wall. The other altar boys knew their doom was coming when Sunny walked closer and closer to them. The snakes were slithering around her, the thunder and lightning got louder and louder, the rain poured harder. She leaned forward to the head of the altar boys and whispered a Satanic prayer in his ear. The boys then found their bodies on fire. The worst part of it is, they couldn’t roll around on the floor because of the snakes. With no other choice, the fire consumed them and they were reduced to ashes. Their head priest who was also Sungmin’s uncle, was on the wall with his viscera hanging out. Sunny made the holy statues and holy portraits bleed and shatter. The walls then had pentagrams drawn on them in pig’s blood as well as the ceilings. Sunny grabbed her arm and pinched herself hard, letting out a bloodcurdling scream. The scream was so loud and piercing that all the windowsbroke, the lights broke and even the holy objects were shattered. Blood oozed from her arm and with it, she smeared the faces of the priest.The petite powerhouse stormed out of the church and walked back to the school, leaving the church in a total disaster. But before she could leave, she took one last look at her obra maestra. And she saw that it was good.

But it wasn’t complete.

Thinking that she could use a little bit of energizing, Sunny used another demonic power of hers that she never knew existed. Superhuman, beastly strength. Sunny got down on her knees and said a prayer to the devil in her. The devil in her did her bidding and turned her into a savage beast. Not literally animalistic but her moves were like that of an animal. The savage beast that she was was 10 times stronger than a lion with an appetite as great as an elephants and the power of a cheetah. She lunged at Father Ahn’s body that was hanging on the ceiling. Her sharp fangs bit his cheek and ripped him to shreds, eating him in the process, leaving nothing but cloth and bones. Sunny came down from the ceiling and walked out like a normal person.

Upon entering the classroom, the air smelled like panic. The students were walking and talking, buzzing about something that had just happened. Something very tragic. Sunny didn’t act all surprised as she wasn’t surprised at all. She knew that the school authorities discovered the disturbing act that she pulled off absently, using only her mind in the Student’s Lounge. How she killed the group of students who tormented her with their words and balls of paper. How their bodies were burnt like ribs on a barbeque grilled. Burnt beyond recognition. Sunny headed for the Student Lounge and acted like nothing was going wrong when she saw a group of teachers and students crowding around the scene of the crime.

“These murders have been going on since last week!” cried a teacher. “First it was my two students killed in the bathroom, then another two students killed in the hall, and now this?!” the other teachers as well as students who were crying comforted her. “WHAT DOES THAT KILLER HAVE AGAINST OUR STUDENTS?! WHAT HAVE OUR STUDENTS DONE?!?” cried the teacher out loud.

“I’ll tell you what they have done.” came a childish voice from behind. Everyone looked back and saw Sunny staring at them, glaring even with deep set eyes, red pupils, messed up hair and blood all over her uniform. She grinned a sly grin and revealed a set of bloody red teeth. Blood spilled from the corners of , creeping the teachers and students out. Some of them tried to run but the presence of Sunny made it difficult for them to do so. They were all frozen and their eyes were locked on Sunny’s dead red ones.

“Ever since I came here, you did nothing but mock me, tease me, hurt me, abuse me, take advantage of me. You bullied me and treated me like I was a dirty piece of . Well you all must be in deep remorse now, considering the fact that I am the all powerful. I can kill all of you in a snap of a finger. Then it will be you who will come begging to me for mercy. I can destroy this place and all you people.”

“Take this little demon to the principal’s office now!” the teacher pointed a finger at her. Sunny gave the teacher a mean look and concentrated on her finger. Before she knew it, the teacher saw her finger getting sliced into pieces and the slicing never stopped. It continued until her forearm and made its way to her entire body, killing her and leaving her in pieces. Sunny glared at everyone and opened . She began to speak with a deep voice that sounded like Satan.

“LONG LIVE THE ONES THAT DWELL BELOW!” she chanted softly at first. It gradually became louder and louder til it was a near scream. And like the chapel, all the windows shattered, all the doors blew off the hinges. The alarms all went off, creating a loud and deafening sound. The school began to smell of smoke, making all the students panic. Sunny used her stoic stare to stab through the hearts and stomachs of those people in the Student Lounge nearby. Her stare was so piercing that she could actually kill people just by looking at them. So there were bodies lying in a pool of blood. Sunny looked at them and with the smell of the smoke overpowering, she clenched her fists tightly and concentrated on an incantation. Upon the completion of the incantation, fire erupted on the third floor and pretty soon, it was burning. Sunny calmly made her way to the second floor which was still pretty much safe.

“What’s going on?”

“What’s happening?”

“We’re all gonna die!”

All these words came from Sunny’s classmates who were panicking like hell at the sound of the alarms and the smell of smoke. Sunny had a different plan for this particular floor.

By this time, everyone was convinced that Sunny was a demon and held special abilities that came from the dark and she used it to destroy the school. On the second floor, everyone was really panicking and they panicked even more when they felt-just felt-her heavy, malevolent presence moving around on the same floor as them.

And they were right.

The minute Sunny set foot on the 2nd floor, all the lights went out, leaving the room pitch dark. The students all squealed and screamed, running around and ending up bumping into lockers or into one another. A pair of glowing red eyes appeared before them all, glistening in all its evilness in the dark. There, standing right in front of the window was Sunny, glaring evilly at all her classmates who made fun of her and mistreated her. The scared look on the faces smelled like victory for Sunny. Everyone stared in horror as the small, red lights that were Sunny’s pupils scanned the room and suddenly disappeared.

The room was quiet. It was pitch dark and quiet. Sunny must’ve left, they presumed. The dark red eyes were gone.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

The lights went on, all the doors locked and the light bulbs burst, starting a great conflagration on the 2nd floor. Like what happened on the 3rd floor, no one was able to get out and had to suffer burns. They felt what it was like to be in Hell. As if that wasn’t enough, Sunny made them experience excruciatingly painful stabs and cuts. Most students were stabbed, others were sliced into two, the others disembowled, while some, those Sunny held a grudge against, were beheaded. In short, it was like one huge frying pan of human cuts. Everyone was just being cooked on the spot.

But where was Sunny?

Of course, Sunny had already vanished from the scene. She was right outside, in front of the school, watching everything and everyone in it crumble and burn down to ashes. She watched as the hell she was forced to enter, the hell that tortured her and stomped on her pride and self-esteem, the hell that was school, burn before her very eyes. The hell that where she experienced severe physical and emotional pain was now sufferring in her hands. And all she could do was cackle. Loudly.

Pretty soon, the school was reduced to ashes and debris. The people, dead. Nothing was left of the supposedly wholesome Christian school. The Christian school that had Satanic students. Literally.

Sunny wasn’t done with her evil crusade. No she wasn’t. Though they didn’t have much to do with her life, Sunny felt the urge to take her anger out on her classmates, on her mother and on Sungmin and Father Ahn on them. It was 5:00 pm and nighttime was on its way. There was a little bit of light but it disappeared slowly as Sunny made her way to the village where she was reared. She stood in the middle of the road, her power slowly increasing.

Sanguis bibmus, corpus edimus, tolle corpus Satani! Sunny chanted over and over again, with each chant louder than the previous. She walked down the road and with each step came thunder and lightning. Her demonic presence was so strong that Mother Nature’s creations began to sway and fall down. Yes, trees were knocked down, making the electric posts topple and causing a conflagration once more.

“I hold the Apocalypse in my hands.” Sunny said out loud. She uttered another Satanic prayer and thunder and lightning got louder, trees continued to fall, and the houses were devastated. People inside were either injured or killed. But that wasn’t the worst that could happen. Sunny summoned the demons from below in the form of sparrows, ravens, vultures, and crows. In what would be like a scene from the iconic Hitchcock film, the vicious birds went into the houses and attacked the residents. As they were demon birds and not just the regular birds, they ripped the heads, arms, legs, and even the guts of the people in their houses. Next, Sunny sent in her best friend, the serpent. In each house appeared a demon in the form of a serpent, poisoning those who survived the bird attacks. When Sunny saw people trying to get out of their houses, she flooded the streets with blood. Human blood. People saw this and remained in their houses but Sunny made sure that their stay wouldn’t be safe. Out of nowhere, demon locusts came dashing from the cabinets, biting the residents. Sunny cackled and cackled, her feets soaked in human blood.

The worst was this? Not yet.

There was one more person to murder before Sunny would destroy the entire village.

Her mother.

That’s right. Her mother who made her endure endless pain. Who made her childhood a living hell and moulded her to the demon she was now. 17 years of abuse and seclusion from the world. Now that Sunny was fully developed and all powerful, she used that power to her advantage. To kill her mother. She prodded through the blood flood and the fire all the way to her house.

Sungmin wasn’t at home during this time. He was at his friend’s house which had not yet been reached by the devil disaster but he was aware of what was happening on the other side of the subdivision. He decided to give his uncle Ahn Joo Seok or Father Ahn a call. He knew his uncle brought his phone with him so he took his out and dialed the number. The phone was ringing but no one was answering. Pretty soon, it started to rain. Hard. But it was no ordinary rain, no. It was raining fire! And Sungmin saw that all those who were outside got burnt by it.

“Sunny’s got something to do with this! I know!” Sungmin finally accepted the fact that Sunny was a devil and he knew he had to do something to stop this.
“Why isn’t he answering the phone?!” he angrily asked. Sungmin dropped his phone to the bed and decided to visit Father Ahn himself. But with the fiery weather condition, it looked like he needed to flex his driving muscles. Sungmin dashed to his father’s car with the car keys and took his friend along with him. They drove rapidly to the chapel which was only a few blocks away from his house.

“Come on, Donghae! Let’s get my uncle.” Donghae, Sungmin’s friend, and Sungmin ran for their lives and burst into the chapel only to find the most sacreligious, bastardly act anyone could have ever done. Sunny’s vandalisms were all over the place and it broke Sungmin’s heart to see how much the chapel had been destroyed. He recalled his uncle building this chapel out of love for God and now it had been vandalized. Sungmin couldn’t help but tear up seeing his uncle’s hard work put to waste. Donghae saw his friend’s tears and felt for him but knew there was no time to waste.

“Let’s find your uncle!” Donghae said but thought twice when he looked up. There was Father Ahn’s skeleton with the flesh and meat eaten off it by the beastly Sunny. He sighed deeply and made vomiting motions.

“I wouldn’t look up if I were you.” he sadly advised his friend. Sungmin was stubborn and tried to fight the tears by looking up and was greeted by a gruesome sight which made him want to vomit and cry.

“UNCLE?!?! UNCLE?!?” Sungmin saw his uncle’s skeleton. Just the bones, no blood, no skin, no nothing. Just bones. Sungmin fell to his knees and cried out loud. His uncle was his only family and the inspiration that kept him going. His uncle inspired him to become a priest and devote his everything to the Lord. With his uncle gone, Sungmin felt empty. He was on his knees before the broken crosses and the burnt and shattered images and statues, praying to God. While praying, his bitter and sad tears couldn’t stop falling. Donghae tried to look for other people and saw that everyone was dead. All the altar boys were dead and he couldn’t believe they looked past that.

“Sungmin…”Donghae whispered to his friend. Sungmin looked behind him and saw the dead bodies of his fellow aspiring priests. This made him cry even more but he manned up a bit and pounded on his heart.

“I’m the only one left…” he coughed and coughed. “And I’m fighting this fight for the Glory of God.” he looked at his friend and nodded. “I may love Sunny but I don’t love the demon. We’re going to find the cause of all this.” Donghae and Sungmin set out to find Sunny and uncover everything.

At the Lee residence, Sun Joong was busy trying to hide from the wrathful event that was known as the Rapture, worrying about her demure daughter whom she thought was still at school. She was sorely mistaken when she heard the door fly from the front to the back part of the house, smashing it ultimately. It was as if Satan had entered the house. Sun Joong took a peek and saw her daughter standing at the doorstep with the fire rain, blood flood, and vicious birds all over the place. Sunny was there, in all her devilish glory. She walked into the house, her steps heavy. Sun Joong felt the floor shake with each step she took. Thunder and lightning got louder, creeping the mother out.

“COME OUT OF HIDING YOU COWARD !” Sunny called for her mother in a deep voice, one that wasn’t her own. Sun Joong tried to escape, tried to run away but Sunny pinned her mother to the wall.

“What are you doing to me? I’m your mother! You can’t do this!” she pleaded for her life but Sunny wouldn’t listen.

“It’s far too late for you to apologize to me now.” Sunny said. ‘The damage you have caused me is far beyond repair. And this place shall meet its doom. For all the bull it brought to me, it deserves to sink in Satan’s kingdom.” Sun Joong teared up in front of her daughter, looking like a very pathetic hostage. Sunny showed no mercy and flogged her mother simply by looking at her. Sun Joong yelped out loud. The louder Sun Joong screamed, the harder Sunny whipped. Soon, Sun Joong was covered with scars. Sunny’s sadistic side came out when she muttered something under her breath and it gave her beastly strength. Like a lion, she prowled at her mother and leapt on her, scratching her and biting her face like Hannibal Lecter. Sun Joong’s face had gaps and scratches and soon, she was losing a lot of blood. Sunny had one more trick up her sleeve. She pointed at her mother and moved the pointer from her head down to her toe. What was she doing? Skinning her mother alive. Sun Joong screamed and screamed at the feel of her skin being ripped off of her body. Blood oozed out and when it flowed to Sunny’s feet, she bent down and took a sip. Sun Joong was slowly dying. Sunny pranced around and finally, to end her mother’s life, she reached for her mother’s chest and pulled her heart out. Sun Joong died right in front of her daughter in her daughter’s arms.

“An offering to the Prince of Lies” Sunny raised the beating heart which was in her hand and placed it close to . She squeezed it and drank the blood from it. Once it had been drained of the blood, she threw it on the floor and stomped on it. It immediately turned black, signaling the death of the tyrant in her life: her mother.

Sungmin and Donghae drove around to look for Sunny and in their panic, they nearly ran over a woman.

Lee Hyori.

17 years ago, she was just giving birth. 17 years later, she was 34 years old.

Sungmin stepped out of his car hurriedly assisted Hyori with Donghae by his side.

“Ma’am, we’re so sorry. Please come with us. The outside isn’t safe for you!” Donghae said. Lee Hyori had a frightened look on her face and tried to fight their grasps.

“I have to go to my daughter! I have to find her! I know she’s here!” Hyori cried out. Donghae and Sungmin forced her into the car but she pushed them aside. “I must find my daughter!”

“We will help you find your daughter.”

“You don’t know my daughter! She’s out there! SHE’S OUT THERE!!!”

“We will look for her.” Sungmin assured Hyori.

“What’s your daughter look like?” Donghae asked. Hyori was shoved inside the car and the two boys went up front and got in, drove to a safe place.

“My daughter? I don’t know what she looks like now. But something told me she was here.”

“What’s her name then?” Donghae asked.

“Sun kyu.” Sungmin hit the brakes hard, nearly throwing them overboard. He couldn’t believe what he heard. Sun kyu? Wasn’t that Sunny?

“Excuse me, can you please say the name again. I must’ve misheard it.” Sungmin asked with his lips shaking and his tears threatening to drip down his face.

“Sun kyu. Why do you look so sullen? Do you know anything about my daughter.” asked the worried mother. Sungmin nodded slowly and replied,

“Yes. She is my classmate. I am her only friend. I am her only love.” Sungmin said. Lee Hyori wanted to embrace the young man.

“Please help me find her. Do you know where she is?”

“She’s at home. With her mother.”

“Sun Joong.” Hyori muttered under her breath.


Sungmin, Donghae, and Hyori drove to Sunny’s house in the apocalyptic weather condition. The boys became curious about Sunny’s mother and asked her questions as to why Sunny was like this.

“Back when I was 17, I gave birth to Sunny. I didn’t want her because I couldn’t take care of her so I had Sun Joong and her husband Ban Ki adopt her. They weren’t very friendly to me and they never really liked me so I went to an elderly woman for a spell. That spell given to me was the spell that is taking over Sunny right now. The very reason why Sunny is demonic and evil.”

“So her mother right now is not really her mother.”

“No. She’s a foster parent.” Hyori answered. “And everytime Sunny does something bad, a part of me gets hurt.”

“Why?”

“Because I am the accurser and her mother. I am a part of her and she is a part of me. What happens to her, affects me.”

“So do you know how to reverse this thing?” asked Donghae. Hyori took a deep breath and let out a burdened sigh.

“There is only one way. “ Hyori said. “Since Sunny is a part of me and what she does affects me, the old lady told me before that the only way this curse will end is if the accurser dies. I am the accurser so I have to die. Otherwise, Sunny will go on living.”

“But if you knew what Sunny has been doing, why didn’t you do it?”

“I never had the courage. But seeing what she has become now has made me realize that I really have to do this for the greater good. So if you please, take me to Sunny’s house. I would like to slay myself before my daughter. To die with her and to spend my last moments with her.” Hyori requested. Sungmin drove her to Sunny’s house where torture was still going on.