Chapter 5

Spawn of the Devil

Living life without Ban Gi was hard for mother and daughter. Sun Joong now had to work and in order to add more income, she had to make Sunny work though she wanted Sunny to have as little contact with the outside world as possible. Still, Sunny had to help. She helped her mother by working as a waitress in a restaurant. But Sunny couldn’t work forever. She had to study as she was enrolled in the Seoul District Christian School. Sun Joong decided that her daughter would study on weekdays and work on weekends.

Sun Joong couldn’t care less about Sunny. She knew Sunny had powers, she knew Sunny used them, but she had grown so accustomed to them and had grown so used to beating her daughter up that it didn’t seem to matter to her anymore. Besides, when she was at home, Sunny rarely used her powers. She still had that fear of her mother.

Sunny now only used her powers when she was angry.

In school, Sunny was still the underappreciated kid. She was still being bullied and still being teased. Though she tried to force herself to be normal as she didn’t want any of this curse on her, sometimes the insults would get the best of her and she would just end up throwing people all over the place, hence them fearing her. Despite the fear, people continued to bully her. Sunny thought that maybe the only way to end the tormenting was if she would kill them. Sunny considered this, but considered her mother’s desires first.

My mother wants me to be normal. Sunny thought. There she was again, walking down the hallway in her neatly-done ponytail, her long skirt and long socks looking like a dork. The popular girls were laughing at her and she just gave them nothing but mean stares.

Stephanie and Gina. The two girls she hated the most.

Stephanie and Gina were in almost every class she was in, hence furthering her annoyance and anger. Stephanie and Gina would throw paper balls at her, trip her, pull her hair, announce her mistakes to the entire class, and do basically all things to embarrass her. She didn’t know why they hated her so much. They just did. Sunny wasn’t putting up with their bull, though. Sunny had other plans for them.

Stephanie and Gina were in the washroom once, re-applying their makeup as usual.

“Hey Gee, you got some of that concealer?” she asked with a ty voice. Gina handed Stephanie the concealer. Sunny passed by the ladies’ room and saw them. She didn’t really stare, she just glanced at them. They saw her too and began to taunt her.

“Little Sunny from the farm!”

“Grow your potatoes now!”

“How about some sour cow’s milk?!” the two girls jeered. Sunny was on the brink of crying when she remembered that she had powers and she could easily creep them out. She looked at their faces nad remembered them. Remembered them well. She ran away from them and headed to her next class.

In class, Sunny was quiet and was just staring at the blackboard. The faces of Stephanie and Gina entered her mind and she knew she just had to exact revenge. Stephanie and Gina were still in the washroom, she could tell. Ladies like them spent more time in the washroom than in the classroom. Sunny envisioned what she wanted and how she wanted them to die. She saw in her mind that Stephanie was using her metal brush.

In reality, she really was!

Stephanie was brushing her hair with the metal brush when it slipped from her hand. She tried to catch it but it kept on sliding away from her.

“Dammit! Who the is doing this?!” she grunted. The metal comb then began to float in the air. Stephanie and Gina were really scared. They tried to run out of the room but the door slammed shut and locked them in. The two thought of hiding in the cubicles but all the cubicles slammed shut and locked. They were trapped with the floating brush.

“I HAVE NO IDEA WHY WE’RE SCREAMING AND TRIPPING OVER A BRUSH!!!?!” Gina yelled. A demonic voice came from below.

“IT’S BECAUSE IT’S THE ONLY METALLIC BRUSH THAT CAN DO THIS!” The brush lunged at Stephanie, scarring her face and her neck. Stephanie screamed and tried to fight it but it was too strong. With its bristles, the brush lunged at her eyes and pricked them til they bled. Stephanie fell to the floor and cried, with blood gushing from her eyes. Something then grabbed her by the hair and dragged her around the bathroom. The entity that was there banged her head on the door til it bled and cracked open. Left alone with nowhere to run, Gina tried to escape by jumping for the window but the entity was ahead of her.

“YOU WANT TO GET OUT, YOU ? STAY OUT!!” the entity lifted her by the blouse and squeezed her out of the window, putting Gina through immense pain. She then hung by her collar on the window’s handle, for everyone to see. Gina screamed and screamed and without warning, the entity removed the collar from the handle, making Gina fall several feet from the ground. The girl landed in the bushes, dead with a broken neck.

Sunny woke up and saw the entire class panicking. Some were standing up, others were whispering while others were just plain freaking out. Sunny remained glued to her seat and a female classmate of hers sat next to her, asking her if she knew anything about what had just happened. Sunny shrugged and ruffled her hair, pretending to be innocent. The students gathered around the window and took a look at what was going on outside. Sure enough there was a dead body. Even more sure, the bathroom reeked of blood. Sunny pretended not to know anything.

The chaos went on for a good 15 minutes. Everybody calmed down and since lunch time was the next subject, they all headed to the cafeteria. Sunny, too went along with the crowd, ignored for the first time.

“Hey! Wait up!” a voice called from behind. Sunny whipped around and saw Sungmin running after her, trying to catch up.

“Sungmin?”

“Yeah! It’s me. Wanna grab some lunch?” he asked with a smile, a genuine smile. Sunny fell for this smile, letting her human side take control of her.

“Okay. I’m actually going to the cafeteria.” Sunny replied with a smile. Sungmin walked by her side and when they reached the cafeteria, Sunnye xpected some potatoes and juice thrown and spilled at her but surprisingly, there weren’t any cafeteria foodstuffs thrown at her. Maybe it was because of Sungmin’s presence. It intimidated them that they stayed away from Sunny for a short while. Sunny and Sungmin fell in line and grabbed some lunch on their trays. The priest’s nephew guided her to an unoccupied table. The two sat there and began to eat their meals quietly. Some students, male students, saw Sunny and began to crack jokes at her.

“Hey it’s Farm Girl!” sneered one boy. The rest of them looked at Sunny. Sungmin’s smile was slowly fading as he saw Sunny’s face going from happy to sad. The taunts were starting again and Sungmin knew how Sunny felt about things like this. Sunny shot a very violent glare at him and sat down, right next to Sungmin. Sungmin didn’t notice the evil look she gave the guy but one thing was for sure, she was pissed off. She began to eat her food silently.

“Just don’t mind them, Sunny.” Sungmin reassured her, trying to get her confidence back. “They’re like that to everyone, trust me.” Sunny looked at him and smiled a kind and gentle smile, one that you would expect from someone who looked like the pint sized troublemaker. Sunny felt comfortable with Sungmi. She felt a certain comfort that she hadn’t felt with anyone else, being disconnected from the world for more than 10 years. She could consider Sungmin her first real friend.

Later after lunch, Sunny refreshed in her mind what had transpired. The boys taunting and teasing her, calling her names. This practice had been going on since the first day of school and Sunny wasn’t about to let it go any further. She wanted all of this to come to a complete halt. So what did she do? With a clear picture of the two boys in her mind, she decided to play a little trick on them. Sunny visualized them.

The two boys were walking down the hall, just the two of them. They were headed for their next class. The two boys were Jo Kwon and Chansung by the way. Jo Kwon was holding some books in his hand while Chansung had his bag strapped around his body. Jo Kwon then tripped forward, his books scattering. Chansung tried to help him up but he was pushed to the wall. Jo Kwon tried to get up but he found himself pressed onto the floor by a massive invisible weight. Jo Kwon struggled and struggled but the weight that was on him was too much that he practically passed out on the floor. Once unconscious, the weight removed itself from Jo Kwon’s body. Chansung tried to help his friend but was pushed back to the wall. He then saw several scars starting to form on his arms. Chansung screamed as they got deeper but he wailed even louder when several deep cuts started to appear on his stomach. Blood was oozing out of his mouth and all the wounds on his body. Before he knew it, he was being slit in the throat.

Jo Kwon regained consciousness and found his friend skinned alive and pinned on the wall. Jo Kwon stood up and though still in a weak state, he tried to run from no one. Jo Kwon was slammed to the lockers, back against the locks and steel. He felt the invisible object suffocate him. Jo Kwon was lifted off his feet and he felt scars all over his body, cutting him up. He actually felt one going down from the neck to his torso, splitting him in half. The whole time he was being cut, Jo Kwon was trying to scream but no words would come out. When he was finally cut into two, his body fell to the floor.

Sunny blinked and looked at Sungmin. Sungmin was actually telling her something, the whole time she wasn’t listening. She was busy cursing the boys.

“So what do you say?” Sungmin asked.

“Okay. I would love to!” Sunny replied, not knowing what she was getting herself into. Sungmin beamed with joy.

“Good! Next week then!” he placed a hand on her head and tapped it. Sunny blushed and smiled a smile she had never smiled before. For the first time, she had a friend and it was a boy. Sunny couldn’t be any happier.

But nothing could make her any happier than the death of the two most annoying boys in school.

After classes, the students came rushing out of their classrooms excited to go home or to hang out with their friends. But a grisly sight just flushed all their excitement down the toilet bowl.

First, Chansung’s body was pinned to the wall, skinned alive with several deep-cut wounds. Second, Jo Kwon’s body was on the floor, cut in half with the blood and the organs out. The guys cringed and frowned while the girls shrieked, cried, shrilled, and screamed. Chaos was brewing and when it was Sunny’s class’s turn to come out of the classroom, everyone went into a state of panic while Sunny was as calm and as quiet as an insect. Sungmin pushed his way through the ocean of students to take a look at the violence that had occurred. Sure enough it was gruesome, it almost made Sungmin vomit on the spot. He ran back to Sunny and told her about it.

“What happened?” Sunny asked, pretending to be innocent. Sungmin tried to cough the bad taste out of his mouth while Sunny watched with cruel, cold eyes. She was laughing a devilish laugh in the pits of her stomach. She may look disgusted but she was enjoying the commotion that was going on.

“Get these bodies out of here! Get them out!” the teachers shrieked. The students couldn’t stop panicking and nothing could stop them from doing so. Suddenly, all the locker doors swung open, stunning everyone in the hall. All of them opened at the same time and they stayed in that position for a short period of time before blood began to drip from inside. Soon, not only blood was coming out of the lockers but worms and insects. Everyone panicked and ran away. Sunny, who was concentrating while pretending to look scared, was tugged by Sungmin. The principal came on the speakers, seeing the commotion and told everyone they were dismissed. The students rushed to their classrooms and packed their things, leaving as soon as they had their bags on their backs. Sunny and Sungmin dashed out together but Sungmin remembered that he still had to stay and see his uncle.

“I have Bible study today!” Sungmin said.

“Can’t you skip and stay with me?” Sunny asked, tugging at his arm.

“I can’t. God needs me.” Sungmin replied. Sunny’s frowned and let go of him. Sungmin slowly turned away with sad eyes and ran to the chapel, being careful not to get blood on his shoes. Sunny felt sad and angry at the same time. She knew who she was going to curse next.

But Sunny couldn’t find it in her heart to curse Sungmin. Though they weren’t together, Sunny felt as though Sungmin was her first love and the boy that she was going to spend the rest of her life with. She was convinced that Sungmin was the guy she was going to marry. Sungmin ran out of the class hall and to the other side where the chapel stood. Sunny, despite of the blood and mess and bodies and people that were all over the place thanks to her, rushed to follow him. She ran down the slippery hall and burst out of the doors. She saw Sungmin at the doorstep of the chapel and called him in.

“SUNGMIN!” Sunny called from afar. Sungmin looked back and saw her. She was standing outside the chaos and blood filled class hall, waiting for him to cross back and come for her. Sungmin didn’t do as she expected, even sending her away.

“SUNNY! GO HOME NOW! IT’S NOT SAFE FOR YOU OUT HERE!” he said. He knew about Sunny’s fragility and he didn’t want anything bad to happen to her. So caring for her as a friend and as a brother, he sent her home. But Sunny was hardheaded. She wanted to have things her way. So instead of running along, back to the hostility of her home, she ran down the stairs and crossed the street without looking and threw herself at Sungmin. Sungmin was taken aback but embraced her. She pulled away and looked him in the eyes.

“Sunny, this place isn’t safe for you.” Sungmin said. “You could get hurt. I think you should go home and rest. You’ve been through a lot today.” he said. Sunny refused to listen.

“I’m staying right here with you. There’s no way I’m going home.” Sunny cried.

“But I have Bible studies.” Sunny, who was inhabited by a demon, frowned at the mention of the Holy Book. She couldn’t believe that Sungmin was replacing her for a book.

“I’ll study it with you!” Sunny volunteered out of the blue. She had zero idea what she was getting herself into but for Sungmin she was willing to put up with it. Sungmin had an uncertain smile on his face but it was alright with him.

“Okay. But this Bible study is…sort of exclusive. For boys. So if you want you can just pray in the chapel and have some peace of mind. I’m sure you could use a good prayer before going home. I mean, with all this ruckus and all!” Sungmin said with a light chuckle. The way he was so lightheaded and laid-back for a handsome boy was what attracted Sunny. He wasn’t arrogant like the other handsome boys or the jocks in school. This pretty boy had a different priority.

God.

Sunny and Sungmin entered the chapel together. The priests and other young boys who were part of the Bible study were there.
“Hey guys! Glad I’m not late.” Sungmin said. “We were caught up in a mess there.” The other boys saw his lady companion and gave him weird stares.

“Alright young boys, to the study!” the head priest said. Sungmin smiled and left Sunny in the main chapel.

“Just stay here, alright. This might take a while so if you feel like going home, just go. Don’t wait up for me.” Sungmin patted her head and caught up with the boys. Since Sunny had no education on religion, she didn’t know what Sungmin was here for or why he had to attend some boys meeting. All she wanted to do was stay with Sungmin and be away from her terror mother. Sunny stayed in the main chapel, sat on the bench and stared at the cross. The Catholic church sure had a lot of icons and statues and pictures. Sunny eyed them all. They all looked so precious and expensive, like they were carved for the Church. Sunny tried to go near them to teouch them and feel them. She wanted to know what holiness felt like. Sunny got on her feet and walked slowly toward the sacred objects. Sunny stared the statues in the eyes and felt as though they were staring right through her. The holiness of the figurine of Jesus blinded Sunny, making her back up a bit. Not intimidated, she inched closer and when she was only a few inches away from the statue, Sunny felt a chill down her spine. The chill was so cold that she started to shiver. With her shaking came the shaking of the chapel. Light tremors began to make the chandelier sway, the tables rock and the icons tremble. Sunny’s negative energy was starting to rock the church. The shaking then turned violent until the icons began to fall and break. The boys at the seminar heard this and rushed out. They saw Sunny standing still infront of the altar while all this was happening. Even they felt the tremors and thought an earthquake was coming. Not stopping to wonder why Sunny was still standing despite of the coming disaster, Sungmin along with the other young priests-in-training, grabbed Sunny and tried to pull her but felt that she was unusually heavy. Sungmin wondered why this was so but with the chandelier about to collapse, he mustered all his strength to carry Sunny and get out of the shaking chapel. The lights went out and Sunny started kicking and screaming. When they got out, Sngmin placed Sunny on the ground and she started crying. Crying like she had never cried before. A few minutes later, the shaking stopped.

“I’m…so…scared…I’m…so…scared.” she said over and over again. Her breathing became heavy and she started to shake. Sungmin noticed her shivering motion, like it was very cold though the tension in the church made it hot. Sunny was cold when he touched her, his warmth didn’t do her any good.

“Sunny, are you okay? You’re very cold. What happened?” he asked worriedly. Sunny looked at him with tame and sad eyes. Sungmin saw this and embraced her once more.

“Let’s get you home now, shall we?” Sungmin said. “I told you to go home already! If you had gone home, you wouldn’t be in this situation.” Sunny looked at him blankly as he walked her to her house.

“Where do you live anyways?”

“Just down the road. The only purple and peach house. The one that looks like a cake.” Sunny said. Sungmin smiled and walked her home. Their walk was mostly silent until Sungmin started a topic to break the boredom.

“Weird things have been happening today, huh?” Sungmin said, the Bible in his hand. Sunny was controlling, fighting the urge to prowl and lunge at Sungmin like an animal. Sungmin was a deeply religious boy with plans of becoming a priest like his uncle. Though handsome and admired by many girls, he was very focused on God and made God the center of his life. This is what saddened Sunny. The fact that she couldn’t be with Sungmin because of his dedication to her inner entity’s mortal enemy.

“Yes. Weird things have been happening. What do you think’s causing them?” Sungmin looked at her and shrugged with a smile.

“I don’t know. Say, is this your house?” Sungmin and Sunny stopped right infront a candy purple house. Sungmin looked at it and grinned. “Why isn’t it cute? It looks like a confectionary house! Hansel and Gretel would love to eat this up!”

“I would eat it if I could.” Sunny smiled. Her cheerful smile was one that captivated Sungmin. He led Sunny into the house. Sunny’s cheerful face faded when they neared the door. Her mother didn’t like her hanging out with boys and she tried as much as possible to keep her daughter away from males. If her mother saw her with Sungmin, she would kill her for sure.

“Please go away!” Sunny had no better words for it. Sungmin looked puzzled and insisted on waiting for her mother at the gate with her.

“Why?”

“My mother will see us!”

“And? You can just tell her that we’re friends.”

“She wouldn’t understand. Please. I suggest you go away now!” Just then, Sunny’s mother heard her rambling and came to the door. When she opened the door, she saw her daughter conversing with a handsome boy. Anger filled her and this prompted her to yell at the priest-in-training.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” yelled Sun Joong. Sungmin looked at her with fearful eyes. Sunny wanted to make her mother stop but she was just staring at Sungmin, scolding him. Sunny covered her face and watned to die because of humiliation and fear. She knew what was coming after Sungmin leaves.

“I have to go now, Sunny.” Sungmin walked away from the candy purple house and made his way back home. Sunny was now afraid. So afraid of the punishment that awaited her and of the fact that Sungmin might avoid her because of this incident with her mother.

“COME BACK IN HERE! COME!” Sun Joong tugged Sunny by the hair into the house and threw her on the floor. She then grabbed a club and clubbed her daughter til she was bruised. Sunny couldn’t use her powers on her mother who had authority over her. Sunny could only cover her face and body with her arms which were already black and blue.

“WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT BRINGING BOYS OVER TO THE HOUSE?!?!” Sun Joong screamed.

“I didn’t bring him over. I told him to go away but he insisted!”

“GOING NEAR BOYS, YOU !” her mother insulted her and took her father’s belt and used it to whip her. Sunny cried even more. After the torture, Sunny was brought to the attic where she was locked up and made to sleep without any supper.

Sun Joong wasn’t prepare neither was she aware of the danger that was about to take place that night.

As Sun Joong was sleeping by herself in her room, Sunny was wide awake in her attic. She was concentrating and busy coming up with something chaotic that would rattle her mother. She finally came up with something.

Since Sunny had a wild imagination, she thought of creating a huge and heavy creature with her mind. Sunny concentrated long and hard and summoned a devil. The devil’s presence was in the room in a matter of minutes. She felt its presence and commanded it to do her malevolent intentions for her.

Sun Joong was sleeping flat on her back when she heard the windows creak and the doors open. Knowing that Sunny was asleep, she knew that it couldn’t have been Sunny. She decided to ignore this and pass it off as just a dream. Steps were heard, very lightly at first. Then they got heavier and heavier. Sun Joong awoke and looked around her. There was no one. She was then convinced that it was just her imagination and went back to sleep. The footsteps then came back and when it neared the bed, Sun Joong felt some heavy weight on the matress. She groaned and turned to the other side but the entity that was on her bed pinned her down, preventing her from moving. Sun Joong tried to scream but she felt pressure on , like she was being kissed forcibly. Sun Joong tried to fight it off but it was too strong. Of course, it was a devil that was pressing on her. Sunny mentally chanted the incantation once more and the devil lay on top of Sun Joong, suffocating her and crushing her ribs. She tried to open her eyes but it was like the entity forced them shut. Before she knew it, she was being by an unknown being. Sun Joong fell asleep and when Sunny learned of this, she lifted the spell.

Sun Joong woke up the next morning with nothing on, an indication that she was .