Chapter Three

Spawn of the Devil

Time passed. The little girl known as Sunny was now a young woman. At the age of 17, you’d say she knew a lot about life already, like most young girls her age. But Sunny at that age was still like a little child from the 1950s. Wearing a dress that was never above her knees, never showed her shoulders and never bared cleavage. This wouldn’t be good for her social standing, Sunny knew but it was her parents’ orders and if she wanted to live, she had no choice but to follow it. Even if it meant getting teased and being made fun of. That was how much Sunny loved her parents.

As time passed by, Sunny parents knew that she needed to be educateed in a formal institution. She couldn’t continue her homeschooling as her homestudy teacher wanted to retire and talked to her parents, telling them that Sunny needed socialization in order to grow into a normal human being.

“Mrs. Lee, I don’t know about these “behavioral problems” that you’re talking about but Sunny has been secluded for far too long. She needs to meet other people, go out there and get to know the world in order for her to achieve the results that you want.” the teacher explained. Sun Joong was heartbroken. She didn’t want her child to get to know the world for fear that they would discover her powers, treat her differently and get scared of her.

“She needs to get involved with other people?” Ban Gi said with bewildrement. “But what if they make fun of her?”

“Sunny needs to learn how to grow on her own and how to handle situations as these on her own. “ the teacher’s last words were these. Heartbroken and left with no other choice, they accepted their fate and let the teacher withdraw. The couple had to face the fact that their daughter had to go out and explore the world. Though hard, the couple had to break it down to Sunny. They had to tell her that they would be sending her out to the world and that she had to be on her own.

“What?!” Sunny said with a mixture of fear, joy, and excitement. She had wanted to go out for some time and get to know some people and at the same time she wasn’t ready to leave her parents just yet.

“Yes, we’re sending you to a Christian School.” Ban Gi said. The couple decided to send her to a Christian High School because they believed that a Christian school had more values and was more conservative than a typical high school.

“Oh.” Sunny said with a bit of doubt in her voice. “What’s the name of the school?” asked the innocent young girl of 17.

“District Christian School.” said Sun Joong. “It’s a very conservative school with uniforms and everything. They expect, and we expect you to be on your best behavior.” Sunny felt the sterness of her mother from where she stood. With her hands on her hips and her brows furrowed, Sunny knew what her mother was saying was no joke.

“No using of powers.” Ban Gi warned. “We want you to completely forget about them so you can live like a normal person.” Although Sunny had already trained herself to control her temper and limit her power usage, sometimes she’d still have one of those freakout episodes wherein she’d just get angry and use her powers on whatever she could get her hands on.

“So when does school start?” asked the old-fashioned looking girl.

“Next week.” Sun Joong replied. Sunny felt even more nervous. Nothing could prepare her for this.


[THE FOLLOWING WEEK]

The hallways smelled new. The lockers looked new. The floors were shiny and obviously newly polished. The smell of the campus was new and holy. Seoul District Christian School-one of the most conservative Christian schools in the country. The curriculum was centered on religion. The students had to attend prayer sessions and were required to pray a particular prayer before and after every class. The teachers? Holy they were. The pastors and ministers? Holier than thou. The students?

Anything but.

Studying in a Christian school doesn’t make you a holy person. It doesn’t mean you pray 10 times a day and genuflect at every picture of Jesus Christ that you see. Most of the students at Seoul District Christian School were reckless, trouble makers, rude, and some were even sacrilegious, much to the dismay and irriation of the pastors and teachers. It made them feel as if their mission to spread the Good Word of God was a failure. Girls were promiscuous and guys were just plain s. Since it was a conservative school, the students had to follow a strict uniform dress code. For the girls, it was a blue blazer with a white blouse inside and a pleated, checkered skirt that was knee-level. Along with that were the knee high socks and the black cone-heeled shoes available only in school. The boys on the other hand wore the same blazer only larger and a polo inside with khaki pants for bottoms and sleek black suede shoes available only in the school as well. The school was after uniformity and they wanted their students to have the same clothing so as not to be judged in terms of social standing. Equality was one of the school’s virtues and doing this was one of the many ways of living up to this. But there were still very many stubborn students who’d violate the dress code and even bastardize the uniform. Girls would pull the skirts up higher, wear expensive jewelry and dye their hair different colors though it wasn’t allowed. Boys styled their hair in punk rock fashion, once again defying the rules and regulaitons. The school had a particular haircut for guys and a particular hairstyle for girls. Nobody followed that and those who did often got made fun of.

But there was going to be an exception.

Her mother tied her hair up neatly in a ponytail. She fixed the collar of her daughter’s blazer, pulled the skirt down to cover her knees and pulled the socks up. After spraying some perfume, Sunny was now ready to go to high school. Her mother didn’t want her to deal with the noisy and rowdy children on the streets so she opted to drive her daughter to school. It was safer and much more light on the mind. Sunny stepped out in her brand new uniform, trailing behind her overly religious and conservative mother who walked with the car keys in hand. They got into the car and buckled up. From their house to the school was quite a long drive and her mother still wasn’t mentally prepared to let her daughter venture into the world of sin. Sunny didn’t think of this at all. She wanted to try something new as she had been deprived of socialization for the past 10 years of her life, since the reports from her previous Christian school, her only contact with the outside world being that with her homeschooling teacher. All because her parents were too afraid to expose her.

“Are you excited?” asked the mother after a long period of silence. There was a hint of boredom in her voice.

“Sort of. Yes.” Sunny answered in the same manner that her mother asked her. Sun Joong looked at Sunny with a pokerface. Sunny looked away and stared at the floor. Her eyes continued to move around the place until they got to the school gate. Sun Joong and Sunny both stepped out of the car.

“I want you to remember what I told you. No using of your powers. I want you to think and act and speak as normally as possible.” Sun Joong said. “Because if you don’t and if I get reports that you’re out and about working your magic on other people. You will not do what you did in your old school, do you understand me?” Sun Joong strictly warned her daughter. Sunny nodded and turned to enter the gates of Seoul District Christian School. The gates were white and big, much like Heaven’s Gates. Students were all over the place and they all looked different. Hair dye, fancy jewelry, too much eyeliner, skateboards, accessories, phones, gadgets. It drove Sunny crazy as she had not seen such things yet. A security guard opened the gates for the new student. Surprised with her get up, the guard a bit.

“What level are you in? Elementary?” he mocked Sunny’s height and conservative style of dressing since he was used to girls looking really trashy with a face full of makeup. Sunny tried to keep her calm and looked around. Seeing that her mother’s car was no longer there, she decided that it was okay to break her mother’s rules every once in a while. She smiled at the security guard and even laughed with him but inside of her mind, she was already starting to cause trouble. She just kept on laughing and as the guard was laughing with his eyes closed, laughing at the her enthusiasm, the gate slowly started to close and when there was only a small space left in between the two gates, Sunny closed them.

“ARGHHHHHHH!!!” screamed the guard in fright. There were so many students so nobody heard the guard’s agonizing scream. Turns out that Sunny used her powers to close the gate on the security guard’s hand, wounding it. He was squirming in pain, holding his left hand in his right, tending to the wound. Sunny looked at him with a blank expression on her face and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“You really shouldn’t challenge what you do not know.” Sunny warned. “If this goes out, it won’t be just your hand that I’ll be closing the gates on.” The guard, almost crying in agony, looked Sunny in the eyes. Her eyes suddenly turned red, freaking the guard out. Sunny looked down at his crotch and the guard knew what this meant. “So keep your mouth zipped if you still want to go home a man!” Sunny tapped his back and used her powers to erase his memory, to make him act like nothing happened. She walked slowly to the main campus. Upon entering, a huge wave of shock greeted her. The scenario inside was ten times of what the scenario outside was. Sunny felt culture shocked and was convinced that she would never find a friend in this school. While walking, she bumped into a pretty girl with bleached blonde hair holding a mirror and doing her makeup. Her eyeliner dropped to the floor, ruining her look.

“UGH!” Nice going, you jerk!” said the girl. She hadn’t seen Sunny yet when her things fell but as soon as she saw Sunny, she laughed out loud.

“Oh My God!” the girl cackled. “Where on Earth do you come from? I mean, what’s up with your outfit?!” The sorry and nervous look on Sunny’s face was replaced by a look of anger. She smartened her blazer and looked the girl in the eye. The girl tried to get past her but Sunny just wouldn’t let her go by.

“Hey! Out of my way, you little loser!” Sunny kept on blocking the girl and with her powers, again, she picked the eyeliner up and drew on the girl’s face. The girl knew what was happening to her so she started to scream but Sunny temporarily took her voice away as well as petrified her. Once she was done vandalizing the girl’s face, Sunny gave her voice back and let her pass, erasing her memory in the process. The girl noticed that she was getting weird stares from everyone, heading to the bathroom, she looked into the mirror and saw what Sunny had done to her face and shrieked. Not remembering how she did this or what really happened, she just washed her face and ran away in humiliation. Using the powers of the back of her mind, even without looking at her and just recalling her face, Sunny tripped her. The girl did fall on the floor, flat on her face, not remembering what had happened prior to this humiliation. Everybody saw her and laughed at her. Sunny refused to react and continued acting like a normal new student.

Had I known that I had the ability to erase memories, I would’ve done it long ago. But I think I like the way I’m doing it now. Sunny grinned.

In her first class, she had no one to sit next to. Why? Nobody wanted to sit next to her because of the way she dressed, the silence that she had, and the way she smelled. She didn’t smell bad but she smelled old because of her mother’s perfume. Sunny didn’t care, though. All she wanted was to study and to get to know the world even more. Introduction time came and Sunny was the first one noticed by the teacher.

“To the very angelic looking girl over there at the back.” she pertained to Sunny. Everyone looked back and started jeering and sneering. Sunny’s smile faded away and a blank expression took place. “Would you please come forward and introduce yourself?” asked the kind hearted teacher. Sunny stood up and an evil aura started to envelope the classroom. The students quieted down but were still murmuring. They started to feel uneasy, they felt as if someone was watching them and blowing down the back of their necks. It was Sunny’s aura when angry. Very intimidating. Very scary. And oh so very evil. She walked slowly to the front, showing no signs of anger on her face. Her facial expression was just blank. Finally, when she got to the front, she looked at the teacher and smiled. The teacher smiled back. Sunny faced the class.

“Hello.” she spoke. Her voice echoed throughout the room. “My name is Lee Sun Kyu but you can call me Sunny…” Sunny then heard a small laugh from the other corner of the room. She shot her evil-looking eyes that way and saw two girls eyeing her down, teasing her and laughing at her. Sunny wanted to go all out with her powers on them but gave herself time to relax. She focused on the wall on the other side of the room and continued with her introduction. Sunny was actually doing something with her powers. Since there was a whiteboard behind her, she began to write something.

KIM MYUNG JI

JOO OK CHEOL

The names of the two girls were being written on the whiteboard. Many students saw this and started to get creeped out. They began to shriek and shrill and when the teacher asked and wondered what was going on, she didn’t need a coherent answer.

She just had to look behind her.

The teacher looked behind her and saw these words being written on the whiteboard. It made her want to scream, too but she had to remain calm for the class. But they weren’t ready for the next thing that was to be written.

6...6...6.…
666 666 666 666 666

The number of the beast. Written over and over again. Since it was a Christian school Sunny was in, they were taught about the evils of the Demon. This made them freak out and seeing that Sunny was still in front, calmly standing amidst all this chaos, they began to suspect that she was a demon.

“YOU DEVIL!” yelled one student. Sunny looked at that student and her eyes turned red. She lifted that student and threw him to the other side of the room. She then erased their memories one by one so they wouldn’t remember anything and she wouldn’t get blamed. Since nobody knew what she had just done and they were all just panicking, Sunny walked back to her seat and relaxed, watching her masterpiece unfold before her eyes. The class was panicking and were all wondering what or who could’ve done this.

Later at around lunch time, Sunny tried to find a group of people she could sit with. Because of her appearance and her childlike, shy aura, most of the students avoided her and stood up each time she’d sit with them. Soon, Sunny was sitting all alone, eating lunch by herself. The other students passed her by and gave her weird stares, murmuring and talking about the way she dressed. Two girls in particular even talked about her loud enough for her to hear.

“So she’s the new girl?” said Stephanie Kong. She smirked at Sunny who was eating her rice dish quietly. Sunny overheard their conversation and felt offended. She wanted to use her fork to stab Stephanie in the face but knew she had to control this anger that she had if she wanted to stay in school and not be locked up in her room or in the basement. Sunny loosened her grip on the fork and ate calmly. She was just about ready to forget about it when…

“Those are the shabbiest clothes and that is the worst hairstyle I’ve ever seen!” said Elise, Stephanie’s friend. Sunny tried to tolerate their insults but when a male student spotted her, chaos started to erupt again.

“Hey farmgirl!” he teased. “Why don’t you go back to your farm and plant your potatoes!”

“Yeah! And make us some french fries while you’re at it!” shouted another boy. All of the students present in the cafeteria roared with laughter. Not taking any of it anymore, Sunny placed her utensils down gently and stood up.

“Woah! She’s getting angry now!” sneered Stephanie.

I don’t want to do this, but you guys leave me no choice! Sunny thought. She concentrated on the anger that was slowly but surely building up inside of her. Sunny raised her arm gently, shoulder level at first. The other students looked at her with awe and fear, at the same time ridicule. Manys tudents were murmuring, calling her a delusional province witch, a quack doctor. She overheard some of them and raised her hand. The students were now starting to get scared as the behavior that Sunny was exhibiting was eccentric. With her hand in the air, she clenched her fist, making the lights explode and shatter into a million pieces. The students screamed and began to run to the exit doors. Sunny locked the doors and blocked them with tables. She commanded the objects with her hands. Stephanie and Elise looked at her with scared and angry eyes.

“WHAT ARE YOU?!!” yelled Stephanie. Sunny looked at her sharply with eyes that had huge, red pupils. Stephanie fell to the floor and backed away but Sunny followed her with her eyes. She then pointed at Stephanie and much to her classmates’ horror, Stephanie was floating on air. Eveyrone was scremaing and begging for Sunny to stop and put Stephanie down. Sunny did as told and threw Stephanie to the other side of the room, making her crash down on the trays of food, hurting her and soiling her beautiful dress. All they could do was stand behind Sunny and watch as she terrorized the canteen. The boys who earlier tried to go near her, hoping for a sneak attack but Sunny’s strong sensory powers told her that two boys were behind her. Sunny raised both hands, making both boys float in air and threw them to the wall. Not satisfied with her act, she stripped them off their trousers, exposing their underwear. The boys were terrified and humiliated. Sunny left them hanging, their skin stuck on the wall like it was glued. Sunny looked away and using her finger, she pointed to the other wall and wrote in the air,

Malus

It appeared on the wall in blood and creeped out all the students. They were all screaming and running around, looking for a way to escape. A teacher suddenly burst into the room and saw all the chaos. He saw all the students huddling in one corner and Sunny standing in the middle. He knew right then and there that Sunny was the one behind all the ruckus.

“MS. SUNNY LEE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!” the teacher asked. Sunny’s innocent look returned and she fearfully looked at the angry professor who looked down on Sunny. He scanned the room and saw the tables and chairs turned upside down, Stephanie Kong being comforted by her friends after falling into trays of kimchi and eggs. But the shock came when he saw the two boys hanging on the wall by their skin, without their trousers on.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!” Sunny’s innocent look disappeared and the devil started to take her over. She stood up straight and looked the professor in the eyes.
“What do you think it is that I’ve done?” she replied with a creepy, mannequin-esque voice. The professor gave her a dirty look and scanned the cafeteria. He was greatly appalled when he saw the blood graffiti on the wall.

“Malus…” the professor, who just happened to be a language instructor, immediately understood what was written. It was clear anyways. Anyone could understand.

“Evil?” he growled at Sunny. Sunny stayed strong and even gave a smirk.

“Summum malum.” she said in a deep voice that made everyone shriek. Even the professore nearly let out a bloodcurdling scream at the sight of this but managed to stay calm for the students’ sake.

“Do you have any idea what this thing you just wrote means?” the professor angrily asked. Sunny refused to answer.

“Summum malum.” Sunny repeated. Everyone freaked out and the professor knew this was the last straw. He dragged Sunny out of the cafeteria and felt that she was heavy, making it hard for him to drag her all the way to the principal’s office. Turns out that the malevolent spirit was weighing Sunny down. With all his might, the professor managed to take Sunny out of the cafeteria and down the hall to the principal’s office, much to the relief of the students. While they were gone, they tried to get the two boys down and to erase the writing on the wall. In blood.

[AT THE PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE]

The principal was busy working on some papers when his door opened. In came the professor with young Sunny by his side. The principal was apalled at the sight of innocent looking Sunny at his doorstep with the professor’s hand on her shoulder. The peaceful look on Sunny’s face elicited a wave of doubt in the principal’s head. How could this new, demure girl possibly be in trouble. She had been there for only a few hours.

“I caught Ms. Lee Soon Kyu torturing her classmates and vandalizing the walls!” the professor angrily said.

“Torturing? Vandalizing?” he gave Sunny a puzzled look. Sunny looked at him and shied away. “I think you’re overreacting a bit, Mr. Kwang. Sunny here couldn’t possibly have tortured her classmates all at once. Maybe you have mistaken slight playfulness for torturing. And as for the vandalism, what did she do anyways?”

“Alright. First and foremost, Sunny hung her classmates on the wall by their skin. Second, she didn’t just write on the wall, Mr. Principal. She painted the Latin word “Evil” in blood!” Now the principal was doubting the professor and was even starting to laugh.

“I think you’re hallucinating, Mr. Kwang. It’s impossible for those things to happen. How do you think Sunny would do it?”

“She spoke some Latin in a deep voice! I swear!”

“You know, as much as I don’t want to waste your time, I hate it when you waste mine. Since I value time that much and I don’t want your efforts to go to waste, I’ll just let this young girl off with a warning.” he looked at Sunny who was staring blankly into space. “Have a seat, my dear.” Sunny turned her attention to him and walked to the chair. She sat down and stared at the principal. More like stared right through him.

“I want you to enjoy your stay here in the Seoul District Christian School. I want you to have many friends and to make your school years here memorable. Now if you’re going to display bad behavior, I doubt your school year would be one worth remembering. You know this school is a Christian institution that strictly incorporates God’s teaching-” Sunny stood up and pounded on the principal’s desk, scaring both the principal and the professor with its intensity. They felt as if the world shook when she did that.

“God’s teaching? What do you know about God’s teaching? Don’t turn a blind eye to what’s going on here. You see those students tormenting other students. They’re people who don’t give a damn about the teachings at the parish. This school is ruled by me. By my entity. By my other self.” Sunny said in a deep voice. Struck speechless, the principal said,

“Take this girl to the chapel and arrange a meeting with Pastor Ahn Dong Woon.I don’t want no demon-tongued, possessed student terrorizing the already terrible student body.” Sunny stood up and glared at the principal, her eyes turning blood red. The principal was spooked by what he saw but maintained his class. The professor led Sunny out of the Principal’s Office and to the Christian School Chapel.