Chapter 4

Spawn of the Devil


[a/n: Things are gonna get a bit sacreligious but to all my readers, it’s art for art’s sake. I mean nothing here and it’s all for the story. So you know, I am a Christian and I love God with all my heart. God Bless everyone and always say a prayer in your heart before doing anything. :**]

The professor and Sunny finally arrived at the chapel. The pastor was there, all alone reading the Bible. Father Ahn heard them coming in and cajoled them to sit with him. He looked at Sunny and she looked very much troubled.

“How may I help you two? Come, sit.” the professor guided Sunny to the bench where Father Ahn sat. The church’s holiness made Sunny cringe in fright and feel uncomfortable. She furrowed her brows and began to breathe heavily. Father Ahn noticed this and knew something was wrong but quickly dismissed it as a slight behavioral disturbance. Sunny looked disturbed from afar.

“This young girl here caused trouble, so much trouble, at the cafeteria earlier. She humiliated her classmates and wrote the word evil on the wall. I think she is disturbed, Father. Can you please help her?” the priest looked at Sunny who just looked at the floor. She refused to make eye contact with him, proof that the devil was in her. The priest placed his hand over hers, making her grunt. Father Ahn sensed some malevolent force over and inside the girl’s body.

“I may need to have a private moment with this young lady here, if you don’t mind professor.” requested Father Ahn, a worried look came across his face and the professor’s too.

“Just fix her state of mind. I don’t want any headaches this school year!” he grunted. The professor walked out of the chapel, leaving Sunny alone with the priest. The priest placed his Bible down and began to talk to Sunny.

“Hello my dear. What is your name.” Sunny looked at him sharply.

“Lee Sun Kyu.”

“Lee Sun Kyu. What do your friends call you.”

“I have no friends.”

“Okay, so what do you want me to call you?”

“Sunny.”
“Sunny. Alright then.” Father Ahn felt uncomfortable and a bit intimidated himself. The spirit that was inside Sunny was very strong and its presence rocked the chapel. Nonetheless, Father Ahn continued to familiarize himself with Sunny whose name contradicted her personality. “What school do you come from?”

“This is my first school. I was schooled at home for 10 years after I got dropped from my previous school.”

“You got dropped? Why?”

“They said I was too…evil for them.” Father Ahn got intimidated and knew right then and there that something possessed this young girl.

“What did you do?”

“Things.” Sunny replied with a smirk.

“I want you to be honest with me, Sunny. I want you to talk to me and answer the following question,” Father Ahn carefully whispered. “Have you called out on any demon before?”

Sunny looked at him and slightly moved her head. Father Ahn couldn’t figure out what her reply was so he asked another question.

“Have you challenged the demons? Do you call demons?”

“Things as such are not for you to know, dear father.” replied Sunny with a serious and angry look on her face.

“I need to know this. There is something evil living inside of you.”

“There is something evil living inside all of us. It takes courage and strength to awaken it.” Sunny looked Father Ahn in the eye. “Tell me father, when was the last time you saw a picture of a woman?” Father Ahn felt the demon’s presence in Sunny. It was taking over her.

“Leave this child’s body now!”

“WHEN?!” Sunny stood up and demanded an answer from him. Father Ahn ran to the other side of the pew and tried to exorcise the girl but Sunny’s powers were too strong. She made the Bible levitate and dropped it, blew the candles out and caused an earthquake in the chapel. Father Ahn held on to the pews and crawled his way underneath the table, thinking that the chapel would collapse. Sunny made her way to the alter and broke every shell bowl that had holy water in it. Once the Holy Water touched her skin, she cried out and tamed down. The shaking had stopped and Sunny fell to her knees, weak to the bones. Father Ahn emerged from behind the table and carried the young girl to the clinic where he let her rest.

A few minutes later, Sunny woke up in the clinic and saw a young man around the same age as her sitting in the chair across her bed, playing games on his iPhone.

“Hey. Who are you and what am I doing here?” asked Sunny. The boy spun around in the swivel chair and looked at Sunny with a bright expression on his face. Sunny thought he was the most handsome boy in the world.

“Hi! I’m Lee Sungmin. I’m Father Ahn’s nephew. You must be Sunny?”

“Yeah that’s me.”

“My uncle told me to look after you.” Sungmin said and flashed the most beautiful smile in the world. Sunny fell for him the minute she saw it. “He said you passed out in the chapel. Wonder what happened to you?”

“You don’t…need…to know…that.” Sunny said weakly.

“I think you’re tired. You rest here first. I have to attend my class. Just wait for the nurse to come back. I’ll leave this here for you to read.” Sungmin placed his Bible on the table next to Sunny’s bed. Sunny cringed at the sight of the Holy Bible. Sungmin rushe out of the room to get the nurse after seeing this. He thought that Sunny was starting to experience seizures. He didn’t know that Sunny was negatively reacting to the Holy Book that was beside her. Sungmin didn’t know as his uncle didn’t tell him about Sunny’s demonic sentiments in the chapel, so as not to scare him.

In the clinic, weird things were starting to happen again. Sunny was in bed but the entire clinic started to shake. The light bulbs fell and broek on the floor, the medicines fell from the cabinets. The beds were turned over and blood began to ooze from the walls. Then, Sunny got up. Sunny’s pupils dilated and she was soon levitating and standing on the table. Strong winds broke the windows blowing into the room, breaking everything in sight. Using her powers, she brought the Bible closer and once it was in her hands, she performed an act of sacriliege. With the Holy Book in her hands, Sunny used all her strength to rip it apart and upon doing this, she threw it in the air, shattering it with her evil willpower. Sunny stepped down from the table and walked barefooted on the cold cement. Her footsteps were heavy, so heavy that the people in the other room felt it and rushed to the clinic to check it out. The nurse that Sungmin called for finally arrived and nearly fainted when she saw Sunny walking slowly, like her feet being dragged, towards the door with messy hair and a wounded face. The nurse had medicines in her hand which she dropped as soon as she screamed after seeing Sunny’s destitute state.

“HELP! HELP! HELP!”

“Sanguis bibimus, corpus edimus, tolle corpus Satani” Sunny chanted in Latin. Her walk was slow, like she was being dragged. She walked closer and closer towards the nurse and the nurse, fearing for her life, backed up and tried to run only to trip. Sunny inched closer to the nurse and without even touching her, Sunny sent her levitating in the air. The nurse tried to scream.

“HE-” Sunny creepily placed her finger on her lips, temporarily silencing her. The nurse just levitated with wide open, as if she was screaming but not a sound was coming out. Sunny used her powers to pin the nurse to the wall. The nurse still couldn’t scream and she just had open. Her arms were outstretched, like she was crucified except for the fact that there was no cross. Just the position. Sunny then pointed her finger at the nurse’s stomach and made crosses in the air, eventually cutting the nurse open. The nurse lost her ability to speak and was then removed from the wall. Sunny made her float all the way to the chandelier where she hung with her intestines hanging out. The demonic child hung the nurse by the hair and those few strands by which her entire body weight clung to were soon ripped along with her scalp, killing her and making her fall dead and bloody on the floor.

While sitting in bed, Sungmin rushed back to the clinic to check on Sunny and was shcoked with what he saw. He saw the entire clinic in a huge mess and Sunny sitting in bed, looking more tired and more weary than ever. He rushed to her side and asked her if anyone had come in.

“No.” Sunny responded. “Not that I know of.” She looked around and pretended to be afraid but she knew quite well what had happened.

“Thank God you’re okay! But who could’ve-” Sungmin’s utter horror came when he looked down and saw the nurse’s dead body on the floor. He screamed like he had never screamed before and when Sunny pretended to be scared by letting out a loud shrill, the teachers and other facilitators came rushing to the clinic. Terror greeted them when they saw the nurse’s dead body. Even Father Ahn rushed and was horrified when he saw this. He asked Sungmin to go back to his class as the matter was quite

“Who animal could’ve done such a horrible act to Nurse Joon?” cried Father Ahn. His eyes then lingered and stopped at Sunny who was sitting innocently with the blanket over her body. He pointed a finger at her and began to accuse her.

“You! You demon child!” Sunny looked at him with fearful eyes. “You think this is funny? You think this is all a game?”

“But Father Ahn I was-”

“Don’t you drop that lie, you wicked young lady” Father Ahn warned. “You are a demonness!” Sunny crigned and nearly teared up at his words but these were but fake. ALl an act that Sunny was just trying to put. Some fell for it but she saw that the priest was having none of it. Sunny crawled back into bed and tried to sleep but the priest called for her.

“I am not having anymore of your nonsense! You just killed an innocent woman, Sunny! Get up and come with me! I’m taking you to the chapel!” Sunny felt her heart beat really fast at the sound of the word ‘chapel’. If anything, Sunny detested the chapel. Not wanting to get into anymore trouble, Sunny stood up and walked with the priest to the chapel where they first met. Sunny trailed behind the priest who was trying his very best to remain patient with the child but her demonic antics were starting to wear him out.

The two finally arrived in the chapel and sat down on one of the benches. Sunny was quiet but had an angry look on her face. Father Ahn tried to understand this as he blamed the girl immediately for the destruction and the death that happened in the clinic. Father Ahn knew it was wrong but he couldn’t help it. He knew deep down in his heart that Sunny was the culprit. And he knew that Sunny knew it too. She was guilty.

“You look angry today, Sunny Lee.” he said gently. Sunny refused to look at him, rather nodded.

“Yes.”

“Are you angry with anyone? Would you like to let your anger out?” Sunny shook her head which was down.

“Come on, Sun kyu, it’s okay. If you keep it in you it’ll only hurt you more. Plus, being angry isn’t very good. It’s a sin-”

“Why Father? Have you not sinned?” Sunny was acting up again. The demon in her was starting to activate itself once more. Father Ahn decided to ignore this and continued with his consultation.

“It is a sin. You need to eliminate that anger from your heart and start living peacefully.” Sunny looked at him blankly. She could read him. She could read, sniff, and taste fear crawling all over his body. Yes, definitely, he was afraid. He was afraid of her. He knew his prayers wouldn’t work on the very strong power Sunny possessed that came from the Devil beneath.

“I’m sure you were raised a Christian, my dear.” Father Ahn said.

“No God.” Sunny murmured to herself. She was very close to Father Ahn but Father Ahn wasn’t able to grasp what she said.

“Excuse me?”

“No God.” Sunny looked up and glared at Father Ahn with red eyes. Father Ahn wanted to back away but Sunny’s hand was reaching for something, like she was trying to rip Father Ahn’s heart right out of his chest. The priest backed away quickly but Sunny was catching up. She got on the bench and crawled her way towards Father Ahn, reached for his rosary and held it before her. Father Ahn dropped to the floor and stared at Sunny as she held the rosary in her hands, toying with every bead. She glared evilly at the good priest and unleashing all her anger through the wind that blew inside the chapel.

“ Sanguis bibimus, corpus edimus, tolle corpus Satani” Sunny chanted the chant she said earlier. The rain started to pour and thunder and lightning appeared, making her presence even more evil. Sunny stood up and snapped the rosary before the priest’s very eyes. The last thing Father Ahn saw was Sunny standing before him, appearing to be chanting something. Father Ahn finally gathered the courage to grab Sunny. Sunny growled and kicked but the good priest held her with all his might until the exited the chapel. Father Ahn carried the demon-possessed child to the Principal’s Office. The Principal-who was doing paper work-was surprised by the sight that was at his doorstep. Sunny finally stopped screaming and calmed down in the chair.

“She has been displaying increasingly violent psychotic behavior.” Father Ahn said. He didn’t mention anything about possession for fear that the Principal might just laught at him.

“Sunny, my dear.” the principal started. “I think you need to go home and take a rest.” Fear filled Sunny’s eyes.

“A-are you going to tell my mom about it?” asked Sunny.

“Why of course.” the Principal said with precision. “I’m going to refer you to a doctor sooner so you can get your pills.” The principal picked the phone up and dialed their home number. Sunny’s mom picked the phone up.

“Mrs. Lee, Sunny has been displaying slightly abnormal behavior. I would appreciate if you refer her to a psychiatrist so we can help her improve her personality. It’s the third time this has occurred.”

“Oh…” Mrs. Lee was clenching her fists and opening them again. Sunny had been using her powers after they told her not to. “Alright. Thank you for your concern.” Mrs. Lee hung up and got her torture materials ready.
“Your mom will pick you up in a while. You can wait outside with Father Ahn.” Father Ahn accompained Sunny who had her arms around herself. She walked shakily. Her mom sounded really angry and eager to beat her up.

Outside, Sunny and Father Ahn were sitting on the bench and waiting for Sunny’s mother to come. Finally, a beat up car parked right in front of the school. Sunny, who had been quiet for the past few minutes, stood up and walked stiffly towards the car. Sunny entered and left without bidding the priest goodbye. Her mother was driving. Silence reigned over them in the car duirng their drive home. Sunny refused to look at her mother though Sun Joong shot several glances at her cursed daughter.

Upon arriving home, Sun Joong angrily stepped out of her car and slammed the door. She walked to Sunny’s side and opened the door for her. She watched as her daughter carefully stepped out of the car, making sure that she didn’t trip or fall. Mother and daughter were at war with each other, silently entering the house. Once they were in, Sun Joong slammed the door shut and pushed Sunny down on the floor. Sunny’s tears began to well up in her eyes in fear of her mother. She had immensely powerful demonic abilities but when it came to her mother, she was weak and powerless. Sun Joong took the rod that was in the corner and beat her daughter up.

“DISOBEYING MY RULES AGAIN!? HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS, YOUNG LADY?!” Sun Joong beat her daughter up once more with the rod. Sunny screamed and screamed and shielded herself with her arms. The 5th blow, which she could tell was about to come strong, was stopped by Sunny. She grabbed the rod and with all her might tried to push it back. Her mother was amazed at the strength that her daughter displayed and she knew that it wasn’t coming from her. It was coming from a devilish force inside of her. Knowing better than to let Sunny overpower her, she pushed her daughter down and dragged her by the hand on the floor. Sunny screamed and screamed until Sun Joong’s eardrums rattled. She pulled her up the stairs and threw her in the attic.

“Mom, please!” Sunny cried. Sun Joong had no mercy for the 17 year old innocent child. She not only pushed her daughter in, she entered and stomped on her, beat her up and pulled her hair. Sunny wanted to use her powers so badly as she could use them to save her life but fear overcame her, preventing her from acting quickly. Her mother struck her with her fist and out went Sunny. She fell asleep on the attic floor and her mother left her locked in there.

A few minutes later, Sunny woke up with bruises all over her body. Instead of fear, anger boiled in her blood. She wanted to get her hands on her mother but couldn’t do it infront of her. Since her mother had sent her to bed in the attic without any supper, she thought she’d terrorize them with a little prank while they enjoyed their dinner without their beloved daughter.

“Your daughter pulled two dangerous pranks today at school.” Sun Joong mentioned to Ban Gi. Ban Gi’s face crumpled with anger and he pounded on the table.

“SUNNY DID WHAT?!” he asked.

“She used her powers in school. After I scolded her and beat her and told her not to. She still used them!”

“How is she going to become normal!? How!?!?”

Sunny overheard their conversation though she was asleep. She sat up and concentrated, chanting something over and over again. What she was about to pull was a harmless prank on her parents but it was one that she was sure that it would give them the scare of their lives. While the couple was having their dinner, they heard something slithering inside their house.

“Ban Gi!” Sun Joong dropped her spoon. “Did you hear that?” Ban Gi placed his chopsticks down calmly and listened.

“No.” Ban Gi stood up and tried to trace the source of the slithering sound. He didn’t even get a chance to move far away from where he was as the thing that was bothering them was just right beneath the table.

“OH MY GOD! A COBRA!” Sun Joong screamed. The cobra slithered on the floor and coiled around the posts of the table. Ban Gi was petrified but tried to attack the snake when he saw it coming his wife’s way. Ban Gi grabbed the fork and tried to stab the python but the python was quick to attack the old man. It lunged at Ban Gi and pierced his leg with its fangs, making him bleed and making his mouth fall foamy, evidence of the venom working its magic. Sun Joong rushed to her husband’s side but another slither came. Sun Joong looked behind her and saw a green and black serpent making its way towards her. She screamed in fright and tried to run away but unlike most snakes, this serpent was an aggressive one, one of a kind. It went after her and tried to attack her but Sun Joong hid and only sustained minor injuries brought about by trippping and falling. Sun Joong stayed near the staircase for a while and when she got up to check on the serpent if it was still there, she was surprised to find out that the snakes, the serpent and the cobra, were gone. She found this odd but it wasn’t her main concern. Her concern as of the moment was to get her husband some help. She tried to tend to her husband who was already feeling the pangs of the venom but she figured she couldn’t leave Sunny alone. She knew Sunny would do something creepy if they left the house to her.

Sun Joong rushed to the attic and found Sunny lying right where she was when she left her. She shook her daughter awake. Sunny did wake up and was horrified at the sight of her mother with her hands on her shoulders, violently shaking her. Sunny slapped them away and looked at her mother with deep set eyes.

“Don’t you stare at me like that. Come with me.” Sun Joong yanked Sunny from where she was seated and mother and daughter rushed to the first floor and Sun Joong helped her husband get up and run to the car. Sunny stood in the kitchen watching.

They have no idea. Sunny smirked to herself. Her mother called her and she slowly walked towards her. Sun Joong rushed her daughter and they entered the car, headed for the hospital. Ban Gi was delusional, Sun Joong was panicking.

Sunny?

Calm.

[AT THE HOSPITAL]

Ban Gi was in a serious condition and was placed on a stretcher. He was rushed to a particular room for animal bites treatment. Sunny remained seated in the chair of the waiting room, watching with emotionless eyes her father being rushed on a stretcher. She didn’t feel a pinch of guilt for what she had just done. To her, it was just right for her father to suffer. He made her suffer. They did. But no worse than her mother.

Sun Joong was by her husband’s side, leaving Sunny alone in the waiting room. Perhaps anxiety got the better of Sun Joong that she actually left her daughter all by herself.

Her demonic, cursed daughter.

Sunny wanted to get even with her father for all the beatings and harsh words she sustained through the 17 years she had been alive. Sunny was in the mood for some revenge. The pint size torture teen stood up and walked around the hospital. She walked normally like nothing happened, like she was just walking around in a garden. Nobody cared about her as there was nothing unusual to take notice of. Sunny finally passed by the room where her father was staying. She arched her eyebrow and peeked into the small window.

Mother dear isn’t here. she thought to herself. Maybe, just maybe, she could use her powers on her cruel dad. She saw him lying on the hospital bed, with all sorts of things attatched to him. Sunny let out a cruel cackle in her brain. She focused on him, uttered a short Latin prayer and with no one but her father in the room, unconscious and obviously a step closer to death, the lights went out. Ban Gi was still asleep. No matter, Sunny thought, the dark wouldn’t kill him anyways. She had to do something more…extreme. She used her powers to shake his bed violently. Ban Gi woke up and saw that his bed was rattling like there was an earthquake. The fluid that was in the bag spilled when Sunny pricked it with her piercing stare. It poured on Ban Gi. Sunny tehn decided to suffocate her father. Ban Gi felt his chest tightening and knew that he was out of life support. Slowly but surely, he was dying.

After another short Latin chant, Ban Gi was dead. And there were no scars, no wounds, no fingerprints, no evidence.

Sunny’s goal? To make it all look like one big accident.

Sunny sensed her mother coming and knew she had to go back to where she was. With her powers, she turned the lights on again. Sunny walked quickly but calmly and managed to reach the waiting room before her mother could reach the room where Ban Gi was staying in. What great shock came to them when they saw Ban Gi dead on the bed. Sun Joong broke down and cried. Sunny heard her mother agonizing over her father’s death and smiled. Nobody noticed her smile.

Early that morning, Sun Joong and Sunny drove home. Silence overpowered them once more.

“I’m sorry to hear about dad, mom.” Sunny apologized. Sun Joong looked at her daughter sharply.

“You don’t have to be sorry…” she said calmly at first. “Because I know you loved every single suffering second of his.”

“But-”

“Keep quiet.” Sun Joong said. “Now that your father’s gone, things between you and me are going to change.”

“They’re going to change a lot.”