Chapter 6

Spawn of the Devil

Sunny woke up and saw her mother in the dining room, sitting in the chair with a shawl over her shoulders and a cup of coffee. She looked at Sunny with fear in her eyes.

“Do you have any idea what happened last night?” Sun Joong asked her daughter who looked at her innocently, acting like she didn’t have anything to do with it.

“No. What?”

“A came in and me! A came in and me and I didn’t even see him!” Sun Joong broke down and cried. Sunny looked at her with pitying eyes but deep down inside she was happy that her mother was feeling pain. After the humiliation that her mother put her through yesterday, she decided it was time for her mother to get a dose of her own medicine.

“I see. How did he leave?”

“How should I know?!? I didn’t even see him! I don’t know what he looks like!”

“What? You got and you didn’t even see who did it?!” Sunny asked. “That’s ridiculous!” Sun Joong looked at her daughter with frustrated eyes telling her to go to school.

“Get out of her and when you’ve finally cleaned your mouth, rid yourself of that behavior, then you come back!” Sun Joong yelled. Sunny didn’t seem to be affected which was quite unusual since she was usually terrified of her mother’s yells. This time, Sunny showed a blank face and alked straight out of the house with her backpack on. Sun Joong watched her with dreadful eyes that were bloodshot red while drinking her cup of coffee.

At school, Sunny walked with an unusual proud aura, one that she never wore before. She strutted the hallways, eyeing each person that passed by her. Nobody knew what she was capable of so some of the bullies still picked on her. She continued walking and bumped into Ham Min Ji who was doing her hair. Minji got angry at her and pushed her to the ground. Sunny fell but still kept a straight face. No way she was going to let them make her cry anymore! Instead of moping and looking pathetic while Minji badmouthed her and while the others laughed at her, Sunny stood up and dusted herself, confidently brushing against Minji, remembering her face and swearing to herself that she would curse Minji and do something horrible to her.

All her pride and swagger crumbled when she saw Sungmin. Sungmin was standing right next to the classroom door talking to another male classmate. He saw Sunny and entered the classroom immediately. Sunny got the notion that Sungmin was avoiding her because of the humiliation he received from her mother the day before. Sunny began to feel guilty and down but nonetheless, she still wanted and still had good hopes of talking to her only best friend and the man she was so sure she was going to marry. Sungmin.

“Hey!” she sat next to Sungmin who seemed to be in a very low mood. Sungmin looked at her and smiled.

“Hello Sunny.” he said with an unusually unfriendly and cold tone. Sunny wondered why he was being like this.

“You seem kind of sad. Is something wrong?”

“No, not really. I’m just kind of tired.” Sungmin said. “I have Bible class later on so don’t follow me to the chapel. You might get yourself in all sorts of trouble.” Sunny was heartbroken upon hearing this but remembered that Father Ahn was her Bible studies teacher. She did have religion class after all!

“I have Bible class, too!” Sunny fought back. “Father Ahn is lecturing me on the Bible.”

“Why do you need Bible studies?” asked Sungmin.

“Because I’m not a Christian.” Sunny said bluntly. Sungmin’s eyes widened and he turned away from Sunny. She noticed this and was about to call him out once more but the teacher came in and she had to shut up if she didn’t want her attention to get called. Sunny sat up straight and so did Sungmin. They ignored each other for the entire periood and just listened to the teachers, obviously distracted by each others’ presence.

“HEY! IT’S FARM GIRL!” yelled three female students from behind Sunny and Sungmin. Both looked back and saw the popular group entering the classroom a several minutes after the time. The teacher looked back and frowned at the audacity of the students to holler while she was discussing. Insults at that. They passed behind Sunny and flicked her ears, pulled on her pigtails, grabbed her bag. When one girl grabbed her bag, that was when Sunny got a bit physical. She stood up and tried to reach for her bag but the girl was awfully tall. The 5’1” Sunny couldn’t level up to her. She decided to just level up with her words.

“YOU BLEACH BLONDE !” everyone, including the teacher, gasped at this. “GIVE ME MY BAG BACK OR YOU’RE GONNA BEG FOR YOUR LIFE BACK!”

“What’s this supposed to be? Some kind of lameass method of scaring me? Ooooh. I’m scared! I can feel goosebumps!” Sunny smirked and sat down. The tall girl laughed and said, “I knew it! You would give up soon! You can never, ever, ever win against me!” she conceitedly proclaimed. Sunny shrugged and talked to herself inside her head.

Let it go, Sunny! It’s just a bag! Nothing but an inanimate object. Don’t beg for it. That will beg for her life when she sees what’ll happen to her later! With that, Sunny crossed her legs and smiled while paying attention to the lesson. The gang searched her bag, digging deep into it for something that they could possibly use to make fun of Sunny. Maybe some diapers or something, thought one student. Since Sunny had nothing embarassing or evil in her bag, she decided to give the big bullies a little shock.

“What the hell is this?” giggled the girls as they checked her stuff out. Sunny then felt her blood boiling. She looked at the board sharply but nobody noticed. The teacher didn’t even look at her nor pay any mind to the students who were looking through Sunny’s belongings. Sunny knew they were having fun and figured that she wanted and could use a little fun of her own. She smiled slyly and without warning, snakes, bugs, rats, and worms came out of the bag.

“OH MY GOD! WHAT THE WAS THAT?!?” squealed one girl. The others looked at the bag and saw them slowly starting to come out. They kept on screaming and screaming, distracting the entire class. The teacher had enough of their noise and called their attention.

“THE SIX OF YOU! I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR NONSENSE! COME TO THE FRONT AND TELL US WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM BACK THERE!!!” the gang wasn’t afraid of the teacher’s wrath, they were even relieved that the teacher called their attention because they couldn’t wait to expose Sunny’s weirdness.

“I am glad that you called our attention, Ma’am!” began to leader of the group. She stepped forward with Sunny’s backpack clutched tightly in her hand. Sunny watched with calm eyes her classmate who was desperate for attention and had to use someone else’s bag just to get it.

“Young lady you sit down now or I am sending you to the Principal’s office!” the teacher threatened. Min Sun, the girl, stood in front of the entire class holding Sunny’s backpack.

“This!” Min Sun presented Sunny’s backpack, clutching it tighter and tighter “Is a witch’s bag! There is a witch amongst us in here! I know you know who she is! Of course! She’s Lee Sun Kyu, also known as Sunny Lee! How did I know? Weird has been happening here in school since that little devil showed up! Weird that has never happened before! And earlier today, while my friends and I were attentively listening to the lecture, we saw snakes and all kinds of creatures in this damn bag!” Min Sun threw the bag on the floor. “Take a look at it! Take a look at it!” she urged everyone to side with her. Sunny just looked at her clamly like nothing was going on. Sungmin couldn’t stop looking at Sunny, trying to figure out if what Min Sun had been saying was true. Sunny didn’t look like a witch to him. She was anything but a witch with her shy demeanor. The other students looked closely and when the teacher realized that what they were doing was a waste of time, she herself bent forward and checked the bag out.

She as well as the others saw nothing. They gave Min Sun puzzled looks, the kind that said, ‘Are you out of your mind?’ Min Sun saw the looks on their faces and asked them once more.

“Well? Do you believe me now? This girl is a witch! She’s freaking crazy!” Min Sun maintained. The teacher bent forward and picked the bag up. She checked it thoroughly herself to make sure that her student wasn’t just suffering from some mental disturbance.

“There is nothing in the bag, Min Sun.” Min Sun’s eyes widened.

“What?” she shrieked in disbelief. She snatched the bag from the teacher and shook it upside down, pouring out all the contents of the bag. Sunny was starting to get really pissed off having someone around with her stuff like that. Min Sun then realized that the creatures were no longer in the bag. Baffled, Min Sun began to ramble.

“But I swear they were in here!” Min Sun complained. She looked through Sunny’s things again. Obviously angry and annoyed, Sunny did something again. As Min Sun was going through her things, she felt something wet inside the bag. She took her hands out and was greatly shocked when she saw her hands. They were bloody and had wounds. Everybody saw this and screamed in shock. Even the teacher wasn’t spared from the pangs of fright. Everybody panicked and exited the room. The teacher had no choice but to dismiss the class for fear that she might get a heart attack if she went on.

Later in the cafeteria, Sunny was sitting all by herself as Sungmin refused to sit next to her. According to Sungmin, he was in fasting mode. He walked past Sunny’s lonely table where she ate all by herself. Sunny saw his silhouette and looked up. He was holding her bag.

“I don’t know what you do with your things but what happened with your bag earlier really scared us.” Sungmin dropped the bag on the floor. Sunny was expecting him to sit next to her but instead, he gave her a disappointed look and walked away. Before disappearing from her sight, he turned and said, “I understand that you hate them, but the tricks you play aren’t funny.” Sungmin turned around and walked away, officially disappearing from Sunny’s sight. Sunny was afraid that she had already lost her first and only friend and one true love. This saddened her heart deeply.

The bullies arrived at the cafeteria a few minutes later. They saw Sunny by herself and decided to take advantage of that aloneness. The group that got tormented by her snakes and stuff approached her and hit her on the head.

“What was that for?” Sunny asked. “I’m not doing anything to you!”

“Those creatures in the bag!” Min Sun yelled. “And the hand wounds? Very Sunny! We hadn’t a doubt it was you!” Sunny knew it was her. She was guilty. But she didn’t care. She was proud of it but refused to speak up. She believed in the saying that actions speak louder than words.

“You are such a nasty !” one of Min Sun’s friends, Ji Soo, pulled Sunny and dragged her to the floor. Sunny fell on her chest. She tried to get up but the boys knocked her down. They grabbed her food tray and spilled the lunch on her, soaking her completely in kimchi sauce, rice and milk. Sunny tried to get up once more but the boys kept her down and beat her up. Down and dumped with food, Sunny’s eyes began to turn red and she began to

“OH MY GOD!!!!” Ji Soo screamed. The others looked at Ji Soo and saw her nose bleeding. It bled uncontrollably to the point that it flowed freely down her nose to her chin, dripping on the floor. Min Sun tried to stop the bleeding but then her eyes began to bleed. She shrieked and shrieked, attracting attention from everyone. People crowded around them and saw spontaneous blood flow from her eyes, nose, and mouth. Yes, she began to vomit blood. Sunny was down and out but her powers were in full effect. Her friends rushed her to the clinic while some good spirited people came to Sunny to help her up. Sunny was in a messy and disoriented state. Sungmin looked at her and then looked away. He concentrated on his books once more.

I have to stop falling in love with Sunny! I can’t let this feeling get deeper. I must concentrate on God. On my vocation. I must fight this. I mustn’t see her.

Ji Soo was rushed by her friends to the clinic. The bleeding had become profuse and blood spewed from all over her body. She just couldn’t stop bleeding like she had a hemmorrage. As soon as they got to the clinic, they laid her on the bed and watched her bleed uncontrollably. The nurse examined her.

“Well according to this test, there is nothing wrong with you. Absolutely nothing. You are fine.”

“What? Then why is she bleeding?” The nurse looked at them creepily, knowing that they were thinking what she was thinking but she refused to admit it to herself that something fishy was up. Instead, she gave Ji Soo some medicine and sent her home.

When Ji Soo got home, she was surprised that the bleeding stopped. Even the dress she wore which was soaked in blood was all dry and clean like it was newly washed. Ji Soo began to wonder what was going on. Ji Soo went up the stairs. The first step was heavy and took its toll on her leg. She felt bolt of pain dash through her left leg. Pulling through it just to get some rest, she climbed another step only to hear it thud loudly. Each step had a thud and upon reaching the very last step on the second floor, Ji Soo collapsed and the thuds stopped. She crawled her way to her bed and lay down, closing her eyes to sleep and try to forget about everything that had happened today.

Until it hit her.

Ji Soo was lying in bed when she felt something tightening around her wrists and her ankles. She tried to break free by moving with her eyes closed. Ji Soo found it hard to toss and turn and when she finally gathered enough strength to open her eyes, she saw that she was tied to the posts by throned ropes. Ji Soo screamed and screamed but nobody heard her. She began to bleed again, this time all over her body. The bleeding was uncontrollable. She started getting cuts, too. Ji Soo screamed and screamed and each scream corresponded to a cut on a particular part of her body. She suffered from severe wounds and deep lacerations. The more she bled, the faster her death clock ticked. It wasn’t soon before her entire body was covered in lacerations, draining her entire body of blood. Ji Soo died on her bed, just skin, organs and bones. If that wasn’t enough, whatever was in her room lifted the dried up body and hung it on the wall, giving whoever would come in the scare of their lives. This cruel act was pulled off in Sunny’s mind by her evil psyche.

As for her room? Let’s just say it was painted red with her own blood. All over the place.

Sunny finally managed to get up. She was sent to the washroom by two girls who helped clean her up. Sunny was stoic and unmovable. When they were done washing her off, they sent her to Father Ahn who was waiting in the chapel for her. It was time once more for her. Father Ahn was delighted to see Sunny on time in Bible class. Father Ahn welcomed Sunny into the chapel. Sunny looked at him stoically and sat beside him.

“Father Ahn,” Sunny started. Seeing that Sunny took the initiative to start the conversation, he smiled and attended to her with all enthusiasm.

“What is it that you need, my child?” his hospitability was met by hostility as Sunny looked at him like he was prey, like a lion stalking a deer.
“Tell me about Satan.” she said with a lustful sparkle in her eyes an da flirtatious movement in her tongue. Father Ahn pulled on his collar and tried to loosen the buttons as he felt some sort of negative energy around him, most especially whenever she was around. The choking got tighter and tighter and he knew that Sunny was doing it. Like she was squeezing the answers right out of him.

“Satan is…” he began to sweat cold beads and Sunny never took her eyes off of him.

“Yes?” Sunny said in anticipation. She was just waiting for him to praise and give in to the Devil. Father Ahn’s faith was being tested.

“The Father of Lies!” he pounded on the bench with his fist and took several deep breaths, trying to catch his breath. Sunny finally released his neck, though she wasn’t touching him. Father Ahn was purple-ish and close to passing out, but a particular phenomena stopped him from doing so, making him jolt awake and stay fully alert. There up front, was Sunny with the chalice in hand.

“Just what do you think you’re doing with the Cup of Christ?” Father Ahn ran to the altar to stop Sunny. Sunny held the chalice by the body tightly, squeezing it until it snapped. Father Ahn lunged at her and tried to stop her from doing further damage to the chalice. Sunny saw him coming and lunged at him back, attacking him like a lion that’s just got its prey. True enough, she was like a beast. She scratched, clawe, bit, and pulled Father Ahn.

“Hey! Get off him you!” the biggest alatr boy yelled. Sunny looked back at him with a crazed and delusional look on her face. The altar boy’s size at first was no match for Sunny’s devilish state but with a little bit more force, he was able to get Sunny and carry her out of the chapel.

“Blood Blood Blood!” Sunny mouthed over and over to the altar boy. The altar boy then began to go deaf as her tone got deeper. A minute of silence reined and after that, Sunny let out a mind-shattering, bone chilling shriek. The altar boy dropped her on the floor and Sunny got back on both feet, walking backwards, still crazed from what she had done.

Sungmin lived with his uncle whose footsteps he wanted to follow in. That very night, Sungmin noticed his uncle looking paler than before, more paranoid than ever.

“Uncle, what’s wrong?” asked Sungmin. Father Ahn looked at his young nephew, innocence written in his eyes. He knew nothing about what had transpired in the chapel. Father Ahn never let his nephew know about Sunny for two reasons mainly. One, it could hurt him. He knew that Sungmin and Sunny were friensd and as much as he wanted his nephew to stay away from the demon-possessed young lady, he didn’t want their friendship to suffer as he had noticed that his nephew seemed happy with her. And second, he didn’t want to sway his nephew’s faith and interest in the vocation. He wanted his nephew to become a priest, to follow his dream and letting him know about this would only discourage the young man from pursuing it.

“Just a little sick, that’s all.” he said while rubbing his forehead. Sungmin saw this and knew that it was more than just that. Knowing his uncle all his life, he knew better than to believe him when he said he was just a little sick.

“Uncle, I know something’s wrong. Tell me, please. I’m worried about you. You’ve been down lately.” Father Ahn let out a sigh, a deep and troubled one, one that usually came before confessing something. And he thought that it was actually time to tell Sungmin how he was feeling.

“Sungmin, I have to tell you something.” Father Ahn started nervously. Sungmin paid attention to his uncle. The priest rubbed his forehead once more and took a deep breath. “It’s about your friend Sunny.” Sungmin looked down. He remembered Sunny suddenly. He actually had been thinking of her in a while though he tried so hard to shove her to the back of his head but her memory always seemed to find its way to the center of his brain. He couldn’t stop thinking about Sunny though he did his best to avoid her. A part of him told him that he should concentrate on his vocation and steer away from temptations. But Sunny was one that was hard to resist. Out of care and curiousity, Sungmin asked his uncle,

“What is it?”

“Your friend Sunny is possessed by a demon.” Father Ahn confessed. Sungmin’s heart sank at the news but he refused to believe immediately.

“What? What are you saying?” he heard rumors of Sunny being weird and possesing special abilities but he never thought that those came from the demon.

“It wasn’t the first time it happened but Sunny choked me just by looking at me and broke the Cup of Christ with her bare hands.” Father Ahn explained. “And any ordinary person can’t do that, and wouldn’t! Why would you perform an act so sacriligeous and damnation worthy?”

“Sunny is not a demon!” Sungmin refused to believe this and fought for his friend whom he loved. “She’s the absolute sweetest person you’ll ever meet and she may be weird and quiet at times but I assure you she’s a decent person.”

“It looks as if you’ve fallen in love with Sunny.” Father Ahn said. “Spawn of the devil she is.”

“SHE ISN’T A DEMON!” Sungmin insisted. He almost lost his temper as he couldn’t stand anyone, even his own uncle, insulting Sunny. He tried to keep his calm as it was his uncle he was dealing with. Instead of walking away, he stayed and took a deep breath. “She isn’t…” Sungmin rubbed his forehead and poured himself a glass of water. After a silence contest with his uncle, he got up and carried his Bible to his room.