Lonely

Arcane

The next morning Jongin woke up more tired than usual. He had been contemplating all night whether he should save Luhan or not. He really wanted to, but he knows that the chances of him escaping were slim. The city has a border all around it, which is supervised day and night. There are hardly any airplanes entering or leaving. When people start dying off, the city allows foreigners in to use them for their benefit and to replace those who passed away. Luhan was one of the unlucky ones. Jongin doesn't understand why anyone would want to come here. He knows everyone thinks this is just a normal city but he still can't figure out why anyone would find joy in coming here. This city wasn't nice, it didn't have anything interesting to look at. He sighed and stood up out of bed. He just accepted the fact that Luhan was stuck here, just like him. He went over to the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror. His hair was messy and it stuck out in all directions. He grabbed his toothbrush, put the toothpaste on it and started to brush his teeth. He went over to his closet and picked out a white long sleeved shirt and dark blue jeans. He put on a black beanie because he was too lazy to fix his hair. He decided that he wanted to have a day off and show Luhan around. There was something about Luhan that he liked and he didn't know what. But now that he actually had someone normal to talk to, he wanted to be around him more. He quickly locked his house and made his way over to Luhan's. As he stepped across his lawn he thought he saw someone by the tree in the corner of his eye, but when he looked, there was no one there. He brushed it off and walked towards the city to find Luhan's apartment.

Jongin didn't own a car, even though he did work at a car company, so if he really wanted to he could have had one. But Jongin preferred walking, who knows what kind of devices the government put in those cars. The streets were a bit more free. He didn't exactly remember where Luhan's apartment was but he remembered his surroundings. After a while of looking, he finally saw the familiar building. He went up the stairs and lightly knocked on the door. He waited a while and just when lifted his fist to knock again, the door swung open. Luhan had clearly been sleeping. His blonde hair was messy, he was wearing a plain white v-neck and he wore dark blue pajama pants.

"Oh hey Jongin. Did you need something?"  Luhan said groggily. His voice still sounded sleepy.

"Get ready, I'm going to show you around" Jongin smiled.

"Ohhhkay. Just give me a moment. You can wait inside if you'd like" Luhan opened the door wide enough for Jongin to enter. Jongin slowly strolled in. His eyes wandered around the small apartment. It was clean and simple. Luhan shut the door behind him.

"Go ahead sit down" Luhan nodded toward the couch.

Jongin made himself comfortable. He had never been in anyone else's house in a very long time. He watched as Luhan went into his room to change. In the corner of the living room, there was a couple boxes still unpacked. He got up and started looking at random objects in the room. Luhan had a small TV and not much else. There was picture frames of what he thought was his parents. Besides that, the living room was pretty empty. While picking up another picture frame, he heard Luhan's door opening. He quickly put it down and turned to face Luhan. He was wearing a white shirt with a black leather jacket on. In his hands he carried a white beanie with a white puffball at the tip.

"Um... ready to go?" Jongin asked Luhan while rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

"Yeah. But where are we going?" Luhan asked as they walked towards the door together.

"You'll see." Jongin opened the door for Luhan and they both walked into the city.

 

As they walked through the large city, Jongin told Luhan about every single store they passed by and where all the neighborhoods were. He also talked about specific people he knew. He described the old man that lives in apartment 102 and how he always drinks banana milk from the local store down the street. He talked about the lady in the neighborhood over and how she has an obsession with cats or the young man who lives alone in this big house and how he always has his headphones out to drown out the world. He described everyone he could and Luhan paid attention to every word he said. After a while they walked in silence, till Luhan broke the silence.

"Say Jongin... how do you know so much about everything and everyone?"

"I just uhm... I walk around here often." Jongin looked at the floor. In reality he knew so much because he studied all these people. Everyone did the same thing everyday. Even if the government had brainwashed them, every single person possessed a quality that made them unique. That's how they were distinguished. Back when Jongin was still being controlled, his was dancing. "Hey let's head back. It's getting dark" Jongin said. Luhan nodded and they started heading back to Luhan's apartment.

They stopped in front of Luhan's house. Luhan was fiddling with his keys, then he looked up at Jongin.

"Hey you forgot to show me one house" Luhan told him half smiling.

"What house?" Jongin asked confused.

"Yours." Luhan smiled at Jongin.

"Not today." Jongin turned around. "See you later." He started walking away frowning. Should he show Luhan his house?

 

It was Wednesday the next day. Jongin had first met Luhan on Monday and on Tuesday they had gone to walk around the city. He woke up early and went to work. He still felt guilty for not telling Luhan anything about the government. He knew that once he told Luhan, he wouldn't believe him. Luhan would think Jongin is crazy and he would stop talking to him. Jongin just wanted a friend, being in his own little world in this awful city was depressing, but there was nothing he could do. There was no way that anything would change. He was one man.

Jongin stepped through the glass doors of the large building and walked towards the elevator. He pushed the number 11 and waited along with others as the elevator slowly went up the building. When he reached his floor number, he stepped out and walked towards his desk. His job was to organize who owned what cars. The lucky and more wealthy people got the best jobs and cars. Some people didn't even get cars. Jongin sat in his large leather chair and slipped his glasses on. He started looking through the papers on his desk. He was becoming more unorganized every day. He let out a long sigh and his computer. Suddenly someone walked over to his desk. He looked up and he saw a co-worker. His name was Sehun.

"These are new people that have received cars. Please organize them." Sehun said sounding emotionless. He dumped the stack of papers on Jongin's desk and walked away.

Jongin sighed and added them to his other stack. He quickly began typing and adding all the information into his computer. He worked long hours that day. He got home late. He hated his job, he hated his life. Why had he, out of all the people, been able to gain his memory back. He had done nothing to stop this and he never would. It's best to just stay out of the way. Jongin laid down on his bed and tried to sleep but he couldn't. He was lonely and he knew only one person who he could talk to.

 

Luhan was on the brim of falling asleep when he heard a knock at the door. His eyes shot open and he sat up listening for another knock just to see if he didn’t imagine it.

*knock knock*

He quickly stepped out of his bed and put on his slippers. He walked over to the door and looked through the peep hole. He saw Jongin outside shaking with his hands inside his coat pockets. Luhan furrowed his brows in confusion and slowly unlocked and opened the door.

“Finally! Can you please let me in I’m freezing out here” Luhan opened the door and Jongin rushed in. Luhan closed the door before he could allow the cold air to enter his apartment. Then he turned and saw Jongin sitting at the couch rubbing his hands together in attempt to warm himself up. Luhan looked at him in confusion.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Jongin asked.

“Why are you here?” Luhan asked. It was 12 am in the morning. Why would Jongin come over at such a late hour.

“I came to visit. Can’t I visit once in a while?” Jongin tried to make his sudden visit seem reasonable.

“It’s 12 am and we saw each other yesterday.”

“Okay, okay. I just really couldn’t sleep and I just needed to.. talk to someone” Jongin muttered. Luhan’s lips curved up slightly. For a while they both kept quiet. Luhan didn’t move and Jongin just kept shivering on the couch. Luhan noticed and spoke up.

“Do you want coffee or something?” Luhan asked politely. Jongin nodded and Luhan walked over to the kitchen and prepared his coffee machine for brewing.

“So what did you want to talk about?” Luhan asked from the kitchen.

“Nothing in general. Did you live with your parents before you came here?” Jongin stared at the picture frame and his curiosity was taking over him.

“Yeah” Luhan answered. He poured the water into the coffee machine.

“So why did you leave them?”

“I just wanted my space from them. I had to learn to live on my own I guess. I didn’t want to be a burden.” It got quiet for a while. Luhan placed the coffee cup in its spot and walked over to Jongin. “So what about your parents?” Luhan sat on the opposite side of the couch.

“I don’t know.” Jongin had not seen his parents since after high school. He didn’t know if they were dead or alive and to be honest he didn’t care. His parents knew this was going to happen so they left Jongin all by himself so that they could save themselves.

“Do they live around here?” Luhan asked. He noticed that Jongin seemed angry at the mention of his parents.

“I’m not sure” Jongin said again. Luhan shifted in his seat nervously. Jongin was really different to anyone Luhan had ever met. He gave off this vibe that told him to stay away from him but at the same time to stick with him. Jongin seemed lonely. He’s never seen him with anyone else.

“So do you live all by yourself?” Luhan asked and turned to look at Jongin.

“What is this, 21 questions?” Jongin looked at Luhan. He didn’t come here to talk about himself. There was nothing to talk about. He was a boring and lonely person.

“You said you wanted to talk.” Luhan stated.

“Not about myself”

Suddenly there was a beep heard and Luhan got up to get the coffee cup. He picked it up and walked over to Jongin. He held the coffee cup out.

“Here. Drink it and then you can leave if you don’t want to talk” Luhan handed it to Jongin and walked into his bedroom. Jongin stared in disbelief.

“Whatever” Jongin muttered to himself and sipped his coffee quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry this chapter was kind of boring and pointless. Thank you for reading. It will get better I promise :)