Old Friend

Arcane

Jongin had no words to describe what he was feeling at the moment. After he ran off last night he decided to stay away from Luhan for a while so seeing him now was overwhelming him. He didn't know what he was feeling. Sadness? Anger? Happiness? His eyes were glued to Luhan who was wearing a black suit and tie, just like what the other men wore. Luhan glanced at Jongin and recognized him as the guy who was in his apartment last night and furrowed his brows in thought.

"Please move down to the mail room now Jongin." Sehun spoke.

Jongin gulped and slowly stood from his spot. He slowly walked away and spared one last glance toward Luhan who quickly went and sat where Jongin was previously sitting. As Jongin stepped in the elevator and the two door slowly connected and closed he let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. What was going on right now. How can Luhan be working here now? The elevator stopped at the first floor and the doors opened to reveal Tao standing outside.

"Well look who we have here." Tao smirked and stepped into the elevator. Jongin glared at him and didn't say a word. When the doors closed once again Tao spoke.

"How do you like having your job replaced by your lover Jongin?" Tao chuckled.

"Why are you doing this?" Jongin said coldly.

"This has nothing to do with you. It's only for Luhan's benefit. You know we have one of the best jobs available to our citizens." Tao leaned against the wall.

"Bull." Jongin spat out. The elevator stopped at the underground floor and Jongin stepped out.

"Have fun." Tao gave him a fake smile.

Jongin, not really knowing where the mailroom was, began to follow the arrows that guided him. He saw the door and opened it. The room was fairly small and there was a few people working. His eyes wandered around the room but suddenly stopped when they landed on a certain girl with long hair. Jongin stared from a distance and he swore that the girl looked like an old high school friend. He got closer and when she turned to pick up a stack of envelopes he saw her face and he knew that it was Kim Taeyeon.

Taeyeon wasn't exactly wealthy before, so it made sense why she had such a low position. Someone noticed that he was just standing there so they approached him.

"Hey, what are you doing? Get to work!" The man was working for the government and you could tell.

"I'm new. I'm not exactly sure what to do." Jongin said back.

"You take this," the man walked over toward and envelope and threw it down a chute, "throw in there. Simple enough?" He said.

"What happens when we run out of envelopes?" Jongin asked.

"Then you're done I guess. But that never happens. We have a whole yard full of papers and crap that need to be burned." The man said while proceeding to sit at his desk.

"Why are we burning them." Jongin asked trying to sound monotone.

"Look kid, stop asking so many ing questions and get to work alright. They're making them more and more annoying by the day." He murmured. Jongin smirked and walked towards the cart full of envelopes and pulled it towards the closest shute by Taeyeon. He began to throw envelopes down the chute while watching Taeyeon work as well. She seemed the same to him. She always had a serious look on her face. She also had a habit of running her fingers through her hair. Jongin remembered how Sehun had the biggest crush on her and every time she would walk by he would become an idiot. Jongin continued to work as he reminisced, until he heard her soft voice speaking to her.

"Why are you here?" She almost sounded completely normal.

Jongin turned to look at her as she continued to throw papers into the chute. He just stared until she stopped and looked at him.

"Can't you answer?" She said tilting her head to the side.

"Are you..." Jongin started.

"Normal? Yes. And just to prove it to you I'll remind you of the time Chen and I dared you to walk into class dressed as a girl and got you detention for two weeks." She slightly smirked and continued to work.

"I could hug you right now but..." Jongin said.

"We're being watched." Taeyeon finished for him. "So are you going to explain why you were sent down here?"

"How did you even know I was myself?" Jongin asked.

"I've seen you at the cafeteria before. I just never dared to approach you."

"Well I was sent down here because I was replaced." Jongin thought of Luhan and became upset.

"By?" Taeyeon eyed Jongin and watched as he worked angrily.

"This idiot chinese boy." Jongin didn't mean it in a mean way, he was just trying to find some humor in all of this.

"I see. Well even though they claim this to be the lowest job in the building, it's still pretty easy."

"Are you kidding. I'm sweating already." Jongin joked. Taeyeon smiled. A while passed before Jongin began another conversation.

"Wanna tell me why you're still yourself and not one of their puppets?"

"Long story short, my parents agreed to be one of the first ones to be tested on. In return, they promised to leave me alone. My life is on a contract right now." Taeyeon had become different from what Jongin remembered. She used to smile more often but now she was so serious when she talked. Who could blame her? Jongin had probably changed more than she did.

"Are there more like us?" Jongin couldn't help but ask.

"Very few. They try their hardest to keep us separated. Afraid we might start some revolution or something."

"Do you live close by?" Jongin asked.

"I still live at my same place. God you should see it now. If you thought it was worse back then."

Jongin recalled her old neighborhood. Their houses were poorly made. Whenever it rained, their roofs were always leaking. When it snowed, they were literally freezing. It was such a horrible place. Jongin couldn't imagine how it could get worse.

"Hey" Jongin said. Taeyeon looked up at him with questioning eyes. "Why don't you come stay with me? I have plenty of space and it does get lonely often."

Taeyeon genuinely smiled. "Thank you so much Jongin, but I can't accept your offer. There's couple other people who are like us that I need to take care of." Jongin nodded in understanding.

"If you ever need anything, you know where I am okay?" Jongin offered. She nodded and continued to work.

 

After a long day at work, everyone was dismissed and they went home. Taeyeon walked Jongin home since he lived closer and they went on the same path. They caught up from all those years of not talking and they agreed to keep in touch. Just before Taeyeon left, she stopped and asked Jongin a question.

“What’s bothering you? I can tell, ever since you walked into the mailroom, that a lot has been going on right now. Do you need my help?” Taeyeon eyed him worriedly.

“They’ve messed up my whole life. I’m sorry but, there’s nothing you can do. I have to fix this myself.” Jongin said sternly.

“I understand. Be careful okay? This is probably the last time I’ll see you.” Taeyeon stared at the floor.

“What do you mean? Are you leaving?” Jongin asked.

“No, but I’m sure that one of us will be moved. I’m not allowed to work with any other ‘normals’ it’s what they call us. It’s stated in my contract. But you know where to find me.” Taeyeon half smiled.

“I’m sorry I messed up your job position.” Jongin embraced her for a couple seconds.

“Don’t worry, it got pretty boring down there anyway. Well I have to go now. Don’t hesitate to look for me if you need anything. Maybe I can help you find an exit.” Taeyeon whispered the last part as she left. Jongin’s eyes widened and he watched as she walked away. Did she mean she found a real exit? Jongin walked into his home and decided that he would look for her again eventually.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I'm so so sorry I took so long to update :c

I am really busy right now with college applications, it's so stressful. But since I'm on break right now I will try my best to have one more chapter up before it ends. Thank you so much for reading and sticking around!