The People

Arcane

The next morning rays of sunshine began to make it's way through Luhan's window. The light landed right on his face and after a while Luhan scrunched up his nose and slowly opened his eyes. He  was momentarily blinded, then he sat up in his bed. He yawned and scratched his head while looking at his clock on his desk. It was 7:30 am. Luhan started to remember what happened last night and remembered Jongin. Did he leave last night? Luhan put on his slippers and slowly opened his bedroom door. He peeked into the living room and his jaw dropped when he saw Jongin laying on his couch wrapped in his own coat. Luhan suddenly felt guilty for leaving him out there in the cold but he didn't ask for Jongin to come at 12 in the morning. He opened the door all the way and made his way over to the couch. Jongin looked uncomfortable on the couch, yet he was deep in sleep. Luhan picked up the empty coffee cup that was on the table and he went into the kitchen to clean up.

The clinking of the dishes and the running water woke Jongin up. It took him a while to process where he was. He suddenly felt embarrassed for coming and bothering Luhan at such a late hour last night, he had also been very rude.  He sat up and felt the urge to use the restroom. He stood up and slowly walked over to the kitchen. Luhan spotted Jongin and he just continued to wash the dishes.

"Goodmorning" Luhan was the first to say something.

"Morning" Jongin cleared his throat. "Um... can I use your restroom?" Jongin looked at the floor.

"It's in my room, you'll see it when you walk in." Luhan told Jongin.

"Thanks."

Jongin walked over to Luhan's room. As soon as he entered, he saw the door open at the right of his bed and he walked in.

Luhan sat down on his couch in thought. He was hungry, but at the moment he didn't have any food to make anything. Maybe they could stop by to eat breakfast at some place. Luhan didn't know any places but Jongin probably did. He quickly stood up and went into his room to change. As soon as he walked in, Jongin came out of the restroom.

"I'll be leaving first" Jongin said and made his way out of Luhan's bedroom.

"Do you want to go out and eat breakfast?" Luhan quickly said before Jongin left.

"Breakfast?" Jongin asked and he turned to face Luhan. Luhan smiled and nodded at him.

 

Luhan and Jongin both sat in silence while waiting for their food to be brought to their table. Occasionally they took sips from their drinks. It seemed as if the silence would last forever until Jongin cleared his throat.

“I’m sorry about last night. I shouldn’t have been so rude.” Jongin avoided Luhan’s eyes.

“It’s fine. Don’t worry about it” Luhan smiled at Jongin when he finally lifted his eyes to meet his. Then the waitress arrived with their food and they both began to eat hungrily.

Once both finished they got up and left the small restaurant. They walked together for a while, not knowing where they were headed.

“Show me your house” Luhan stopped walking and looked at Jongin with anticipation.

“Why would you even want to go to my house?” Jongin never had people over before.

“Just. What if one day I need to talk to someone at 12 in the morning?” Luhan said seriously. Jongin chuckled and began to walk in the direction of his house.

“Fine. But only for a bit” Luhan laughed quietly and began to follow Jongin.

 

“Here it is” Jongin said as he took out his house keys and unlocked the front gate.

“What. This is your house?! But it’s so huge. Do you live with someone else?” Luhan looked at the large home in awe. He couldn’t believe that Jongin owned such a huge home. It had a nice garden at the front along with a fountain.

“Nope” Jongin answered as he held the gate open for Luhan to walk in. He locked the gate once again when Luhan was inside. Jongin watched as Luhan ran to the fountain and dipped his fingers in the cold water and as he looked at the different kinds of flowers Jongin had in his garden. He was so amazed, as if it was his first time seeing all of it. Luhan finally stopped admiring the front of the house and he walked over to Jongin.

“How do you afford all of this? It’s amazing” Luhan took one last glimpse before looking at Jongin curiously.

“My parents were kind of wealthy, and as their son I’m left with this” Jongin sighed. “Come on” Jongin tugged at Luhan’s arm and pulled him to the inside of his house. He unlocked the front door and opened it for Luhan.

“Wait here” Jongin took off his shoes before entering and put his house slippers on. He quickly grabbed some extra ones he had in the living room closet and took them to Luhan. Luhan slipped off his shoes he had on and put on the slippers Jongin provided him with. Luhan walked in and his jaw dropped at the sight. It was the most beautiful house he had ever seen. The walls were colored burgundy and the carpet was white, It was fairly big for just one person. He had a clean kitchen and living room, there was about 3 rooms each one with it’s own bathroom and in the living room there was chimney and a normal sized television. It was just beautiful. Luhan sat down on the cream colored couch in the living room and Jongin smiled at the Luhan’s face.

“Your house is really...nice” Luhan finally spoke.

“Thanks” Jonin replied. “Want to watch a movie?” Jongin looked for the remote for his television. When he found it, he pushed the red power button and sat back down.

“I have to go to work at 12. That’s when the tea shop opens”

Jongin looked at his clock, it was 9:30. “You have time”

Luhan looked at the clock and nodded. Jongin pointed to a brown box at the side of the television and Luhan walked over to it. The box contained mostly old movies from the past 5 years. He picked a random one and handed it to Jongin.

“Don’t you have any newer movies? This one is so old, I was still in high school when it came out” Luhan  sat down and watched as Jongin popped the CD into his TV.

“Too bad. It’s all I have” Jongin was about to sit down when he got an idea. He pulled out his projector and pulled down the screen that came out from the ceiling. He plugged it into his television and the projector. The menu for the movie appeared on the screen after a while. Jongin smiled in satisfaction and he sat down. He grabbed the control and pressed play. Luhan stared at Jongin in disbelief. Jongin turned to look at him and tried to contain his laughter. “What?” Jongin asked innocently. Luhan just shook his head and turned his attention to the screen in front of them.

At first they put all their attention into the movie. Even though it was old, Luhan had not seen it in a long time so he had forgotten most of it. Jongin on the other hand was starting to fall asleep, he was never much of  a movie lover. Luhan noticed Jongin’s head bobbing up and down. So to help Jongin stay awake he began to talk to him.

“Jongin...” Luhan said softly watching as Jongin’s head snapped up.

“Hmm” He replied. He sighed and shook his head.

“Why do you live here all by yourself. I mean... don’t you have any family or friends” Luhan watched Jongin. He noticed that Jongin tensed up.

“No.” Jongin said coldly and he turned to look at Luhan, “Listen I don’t really like talking about my family. I live alone because I like it” Jongin looked back to the screen.

“You like being alone? Somehow I get the feeling that you hate it” Luhan still stared at Jongin.

“Does it matter if I like it or not. This is how I live and that’s that” Jongin kept his eyes on the screen. Luhan looked down at his fingers and decided to drop the subject.

“Have you noticed anything?” Jongin suddenly muttered out of nowhere.

“About what?” Luhan tilted his head toward Jongin and furrowed his brows.

“Nothing” Jongin just smiled and stood up. The movie had finished and Luhan had not noticed. He looked at the clock and it said 11:20.

“I have to go to work now” Luhan said sounding disappointed.

“Me too” Jongin put away all the things he had gotten out.

“Where do you work?” Luhan asked curiously.

“The tallest building in the city. Have you seen it” Jongin asked Luhan with a small smile on his face.

“No. Maybe next time I’ll we can go there” Luhan walked towards the front door with Jongin behind him.

“There’s nothing really interesting to look at. But I can take you if you want” Jongin opened the door as Luhan took off his slippers and starting putting his other shoes on.

“Sure” Luhan tied his right shoe and stood up. “Well I’ll see you later” Luhan walked out. It was kind of cold outside and he shivered. He had on a gray hoodie but it was still slightly cold.

“Do you think you’ll make it on time?” Jongin asked looking at the clock. It now read 11:30. He knew that it was important for Luhan to get there on time, before the government noticed anything suspicious about him.

“I’ll be there. That’s what matters.” Luhan said. No it doesn’t, Jongin thought. He quickly put on his own shoes and stepped outside with Luhan. He walked over to his garage and opened it. He walked in and grabbed the unused bike. He checked if it was working fine and then rolled it over to Luhan.

“Take it. You don’t want to be late” Jongin handed it to him and Luhan took it.

“Are you sure? What about you?” Luhan asked taking the bike hesitantly.

“I never use it. I walk to work. Just go quickly” Luhan nodded and smiled. Jongin quickly went to open the front gate for him.

“Thanks. See you” Luhan waved and got on the bike and took off. Jongin waved and went back inside to get ready for work.

 

As Luhan was leaving he thought he saw some guy by the tree across the street. He looked back and there was no one there. He had no idea if it had been his imagination, but he let it slip his mind. He thought about what Jongin had said earlier.

“Have you noticed anything?”

Notice what. What was there to notice? Was something wrong with him. Luhan rode through the city. He passed by a random house and saw some men in black suits coming out. They looked just like the guy he possibly saw by the tree. Who were those men? He remembered that a guy dressed exactly like that had offered him the job at the tea shop. He made a mental note to ask Jongin about them later? As he went through the narrow alleys, he let his thoughts wander to Jongin’s house. He had never thought that Jongin was rich and that he owned that large house. He imagines that it gets really lonely in such a spacious house. Suddenly Luhan saw a random lady with long hair in front of him and he quickly turned to the left making him fall off the bike. The lady had also fallen. Luhan quickly went to help her up.

“I’m so sorry miss. I wasn’t paying attention” Luhan checked to see if the woman was hurt. She had not spoken a word. “Are you okay?” Luhan asked looking at her with concern. The lady looked at Luhan, no emotion on her face, then turned and continued to walk as if nothing had happened. Luhan watched as she walked away. That was strange, Luhan thought. He looked around and saw a couple other people working, carrying boxes of vegetables. None of them had even looked at him or the woman. They were probably not even aware of the incident. Luhan scratched his head and went to pick up the bike. He checked to make sure that he had not broken anything. Once he saw it was fine, he got on and rode off. The people here were really strange. The only person who has ever spoken to him was Jongin. Was that what Jongin was referring to when he said if he had noticed anything. Was it the people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello, sorry I know it is still kind of boring. I will try to update more when I finish summer school. I hope you enjoyed reading this c: