The World He Lives In

Arcane

 He sat in his leather chair like usual. He read over his notes.

His name was Kim Jongin. He had dark tan skin, brown eyes and large pink lips.

He pushed his his glasses up his nose before they slipped off. He was a lonely man, yet in the room, he was surrounded by many other workers. He worked in a huge car company. There was probably over a hundred people in the building. He stared at all the familiar faces passing by, not noticing him. He looked back at his notes and then at the time. 1:00 pm.

"Time for lunch" Jongin said to himself.

He followed the hundreds of others who went to get lunch. He grabbed his tray and went to sit in the corner of the large cafeteria. It reminded him of high school and he shuddered at the thought. Those were the days when he was just another puppet in the city of Seoul. He smirked and stared at the large scar on his arm. It was shaped like an 'X'. He ran his fingers over it and flashbacks of that day began to play in his head...

It was October 8th, 2055. Jongin had picked up enough research and he was ready to be himself again, to control his own mind. To be free. He grabbed the scalpel and cut a straight line on his arm. He flinched at the cold touch of the metal. It was very painful, but that didn't stop him. He quickly made another straight line that went through the other cut so he could fit the pliers into his skin. The blood was gushing out now. He knew he had to be quick. He was shaking as he quickly searched inside his own arm. He felt something hard and quickly used the pliers to rip it out. He screamed, he was in agonizing pain. He didn't know how much more he could take. Finally, he took one last breath and yanked it out. He let out a piercing cry and quickly started to mend his arm. He stitched his cuts back up and cleaned the blood on his arm. He was still in pain. He sat down on his table and looked at what he had yanked out. He smiled and tears rolled down his cheeks, just before he passed out. On the floor, right below the table, lay the mind controlling chip.

Jongin remembered it like it was yesterday. Of course after that he wasn't completely free, his mind still contained other complicated mechanisms that would take and eternity to figure out, but at least he had found out how to get his conscious back. Unlike everyone else who's stuck doing the same thing every day. Like robots, Jongin described them. Emotionless, programmed to do the same thing every day, and all for the benefit of the city's government. They had no mind of their own. They think, but only about things that they're programmed to know. Jongin had this much figured out. He had no idea how he managed to realize that he was being controlled and that he wasn't himself. He had been able to save himself with months of research.

He picked at his rice with chopsticks. He was done thinking about the crap that the government had done. He wondered if they were aware he was free. He doubted that they would go through the trouble to find one guy. He quickly finished his rice and and stoop up. It was 1:30 pm which means back to work. Their whole life was just an endless schedule. All the other workers simultaneously stood up and swarmed out of the cafeteria. Jongin decided he was done for today, so instead of going back to his office, he went out to take a walk.

At a glance, the city might look pretty normal, but it really isn't. It was cold so Jongin quickly put on his black coat and top hat. He put his glasses away in his coat pocket and decided to go for some tea. He saw those people who weren't as lucky as him, the ones who got the worst jobs. Everyone was placed according to their intelligence or social status before the government stepped in. Jongin wasn't really smart but he was well off. His parents had money, which he inherited. He saw the tea shop he usually went to and slowly opened the door. The smell of herbs hit his nostrils and he relaxed a bit. Not many people went to the stores or shops during that time of the day unless they were on their day off which was only once a month. While Seoul's government wanted everyone to do important  work that would benefit them, they couldn't make it too obvious and had to program everyone to seem as if they had a normal life. Because everyone only knew what they were programmed to know and do, no one noticed Jongin or how he seemed different from all the others.

He sat down at his usual spot and waited for the same lady who always served him, to come and ask him what kind of tea he wanted. As he looked at the card with the different drinks on them he saw someone was already next to him. He looked up alarmed when the unfamiliar voice spoke.

"How may I help you?" It wasn't the same lady he always saw. It was a boy, maybe around his twenties. He had pale skin and soft brown eyes. His hair was blonde and it looked soft. He had never seen this guy before. Jongin realized he had been staring at him for a while so he quickly looked down to the card again.

"Um... I think I will have the green tea today" Jongin said.

He looked up to the boy again and saw him writing on the small notepad in his hand. When he finished writing he spoke up again.

"It'll be ready in a minute."

He walked away. He seemed to have an accent, Jongin thought. He had never seen him in this tea shop before. Where did he come from? He pulled out his notebook where all his notes were written. He always wrote what he discovered because he knew he wouldn't be around forever. He thought it would be nice to have some history of this written somewhere.He wrote: New boy in tea shop. Where did he come from?

As he finished writing his tea was set on the table.

"Enjoy" the boy said blandly.

He walked away toward the kitchen. Jongin sipped his tea. He wanted to know more about him, he was curious. It's not a common thing to see new people. He had written about a lot of different people he saw everyday in his notebook. He was just curious to figure out who this boy is and who he was before. He waited the whole day until the shop closed. Jongim had fallen asleep on the table. He woke up startled when a hand was pushing on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry but we're closing now." He rubbed his eyes and saw the same boy. He yawned and stood up.

"Where do you live?" Jongin asked smiling slightly, still determined to figure out who this blonde guy was.

"Why do you ask?" He stared blankly at Jongin.

"You seem new here. I could help you find your way home?" Jongin knew that wouldn't work. Everyone was programmed to know exactly what to do and where to go.

"Can you wait outside, I have to close the shop first." Jongin furrowed his brows before walking outside. Why had he agreed? Jongin knew he could find his way home without his help. How strange, he thought. As he waited he heard the door of the shop close. He saw the boy take his work apron off. Under he was wearing a white button up shirt. The boy stared at Jongin, it was silent for a moment.

"So are you going to me home or not?" The boy spoke up.

"?" Jongin asked confused.

"Well you asked so kindly"

Jongin smiled and started walking with him. He had no idea where this guy lived but he just followed him.

"So where are you from?" Jongin asked. "I've never seen you before and you don't seem from around here"

"I'm from China. I arrived here two days ago" he stated.

Jongin was confused as to how he even remembered arriving here. Most foreigners, after being turned into a slave, don't remember anything.

"Did they do anything to you?" Jongin questioned him trying to find out more about this strange guy.

"Who?" They boy turned to look at Jongin. They stared at each other for a while.

"No one. So um... how did you get you job?" He tried not to be so pushy, he didn't even know this guys name.

"After I got settled into my apartment, I went out to look for one. People seemed to not understand when I asked if there was an open job available. Finally when I walked into the tea shop, a guy in a black suit approached me and asked if I wanted the job. So I took it. Why are you asking me all of this?"

They both stopped walking. Jongin furrowed his brows and stared at him, scanning him from head to toe. He was normal. No mind controlling chip, no mechanisms in his brain. Why had they not changed him? Why did they leave this Chinese boy normal and why did give him that job without programming him? Maybe they planned to change him later. Jongin suddenly wondered if he should warn him. Tell him to leave, to save himself from this disgusting place. He's heard rumors of people who had tried to escape, maybe this boy had a chance. But he couldn't bring it in himself to speak up. He wanted to know more about the situation and at the same time he wabted a friend. He hasn't had a friend since he was in high school. Everyone around him was so emotionless and boring, he wanted to have fun for once.

"What do you think of the people here?" Jongin stared blankly at him, feeling guilty for not speaking up.

"Everyone's so serious. They don't talk much, you're the only one to approach me first. Anyway this is my apartment. Thanks for walking with me I guess." He turned to walk in but Jongin stopped him.

"Wait! I never got your name" he smiled at him.

"My name is Luhan. What about you?" Luhan asked.

"Kim Jongin. Well it was nice to meet you... Luhan. I'll see you around" Jongin waved, and started walking home.

"Bye Jongin" Luhan said softly and walked into his apartment.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, well I hope this wasn't disappointing and I hope you are not confused! Thank you for reading I will uplaod the next chapter soon c: