Potential

BangLo Oneshots




 

JunHong finally works up the courage to talk to the man with the most beautiful voice he's ever heard.




 

JunHong tucked his face further into his scarf as the harsh wind rushed at his face. He was miserable not only because it was so cold but also because venturing downtown had proved pointless. He had been anticipating seeing a certain someone but he couldn’t blame the man for not being out on a day like this.

The man he was looking for possessed the most unique and beautiful voice JunHong had ever heard. It was husky, soulful and cracked a little on high notes but to JunHong that simply added to the natural charm. The man’s fingers were slim, almost feminine, as they would delicately strum the old guitar he always had. Sometimes he would play a harmonica attached to the guitar and sometimes he wouldn’t. JunHong didn’t mind as long as the man was there.

He walked away from the corner the man normally played at and hurried down the street when he noticed his bus. He huffed when he sat, pouting unknowingly. Today was supposed to be the day he finally told the man how beautiful he thought his voice was. JunHong had passed him so many times, throwing change into the guitar case whenever he had it, but he was always too nervous to compliment the man.

Today was supposed to be the day.

When JunHong got to his apartment he kicked his shoes off so violently that they flew down the entryway. He ignored the scattered shoes and shuffled into his tiny kitchen to brew some tea. He slumped against the counter as the kettle did its work and fiddled with his teabag.

Honestly, last Sunday was supposed to be the day; and the Sunday before that, too. Today probably wouldn’t have been any different. JunHong groaned as he dwelled on his failure. Why couldn’t he just open his mouth and say, “You have a beautiful voice.” That was all he wanted the man to know. In his wildest dreams, JunHong even invited the man back to his apartment for tea.

JunHong snorted as the kettle clicked off. Like he could ever ask someone out. He would probably choke on his own spit in the process.

***

It was a few days later that JunHong dashed out the house realizing he had no toilet paper. His impromptu trip brought him downtown again and just as he was exiting the convenience store he heard that voice.

He felt like it happened in slow motion.

He turned his head and saw the man standing on the corner, his dark hair blowing in the cold but gentle breeze, singing his heart out. He was just finishing the song when he turned towards JunHong and gave him a gentle smile. JunHong dropped his bag of toilet paper and blinked stupidly. He awkwardly smiled back when he caught himself and picked his bag up while wishing he could slip through the cracks in the sidewalk.

He suddenly remembered he had change and quickly walked up to the man.

“This is all I have, I’m sorry,” JunHong mumbled as he dropped the change into the guitar case.

“That’s fine, thank you,” the man said in a deep voice that JunHong thought matched him perfectly.

Say it, just say it, JunHong urged himself.

“Would you like some tea?” JunHong asked; then he almost slapped himself. He had gotten way too far ahead in his mental dialogue. He wasn’t supposed to say that.

 “Tea?” The man looked at JunHong’s hands that contained only a bag of toilet paper.

“Oh...I don’t have it...right now. It’s...um...at my place...”

The man’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ when he realized to what JunHong was alluding.

“That would be great,” he agreed. “I’m YongGuk, by the way.”

“I’m JunHong,” the nervous boy introduced. He held out his hand holding the bag of toilet paper then quickly exchanged it for his free hand.

YongGuk couldn’t help but laugh as they shook hands and JunHong felt his face heating up.

The bus ride was quiet but JunHong’s mind was working furiously. Had he tidied up before he rushed out? How long would YongGuk stay? What would they even talk about?

Before long, JunHong led the way off the bus and to his apartment.

“It’s not much,” he said before they walked inside.

“It’s perfect,” YongGuk assured him. “Thank you so much for inviting me.”

JunHong almost said that he’d wanted to for a while but he thought it was a touch creepy so he simply smiled and led YongGuk to the kitchen.

“What kind of tea would you like?” JunHong asked, taking his large selection from a cabinet.

“Chamomile would be great,” YongGuk replied.

JunHong nodded appreciatively and started to boil some water. Silence ensued and JunHong took a deep breath.

“You have a beautiful voice, YongGuk.”

The man smiled and turned a bit red.

“Thank you, JunHong.”

JunHong nodded and wondered what on earth he was supposed to say now that he had said everything he had wanted to say to YongGuk.

“Would you like me to play a song for you?” YongGuk asked after a brief period of silence.

JunHong unconsciously clasped his hands together and immediately agreed. YongGuk grinned and pulled his guitar out of its battered case.

He started playing a song JunHong had heard him play before – about a man constantly searching for a jewel in small, white box.

JunHong stood breathless as he watched YongGuk’s fingers expertly control the guitar, or maybe it was the other way around. His husky voice filled the tiny space and JunHong closed his eyes contentedly as he listened to the song. When YongGuk strummed the final cord JunHong blinked his eyes open and immediately started to blush.

YongGuk must think he was so weird.

“Do you like my music that much?” YongGuk asked.

JunHong busied himself for a couple minutes with the tea then set it down on the table.

“I really do. Sometimes...sometimes I go downtown just to hear you,” JunHong finally admitted.

“Wow,” YongGuk said, grinning as he grasped his mug, “I didn’t know I had a secret admirer.”

JunHong immediately choked on his tea at the last two words YongGuk had spoken.

“Are you ok?” YongGuk asked worriedly.

JunHong nodded as he coughed and was thankful his red face could be passed off as a result of asphyxiation instead of embarrassment.

YongGuk had it dead on though. That was what JunHong was – his secret admirer.

JunHong cleared his raw throat and sipped a small amount of tea to try to soothe it.

“So what do you do?” YongGuk asked. “Are you in school or do you work?”

“I go to the nearest university,” JunHong told him. “I’m actually studying music.”

“Really?” YongGuk asked excitedly. “I wanted to do the same but it didn’t work out. Do you sing or play any instruments?”

JunHong cleared his throat shyly.

“I rap and I play the drums but I’m more interested in the production side of things. Um...why didn’t things work out for you?”

“My parents were my only source of money for school and when I told them I wanted to study music they refused to pay...so here I am.”

“I’m so sorry,” JunHong said, and he really was. “Someone like you should be singing professionally!”

“Ah...no,” YongGuk said, turning red for the second time that night, “I’m not that good...”

“You are!” JunHong insisted. “Have you ever tried for a scholarship?”

“No way! I’m nowhere near good enough –”

“You haven’t tried? Then how would you know?” JunHong asked.

He wasn’t going to drop this. He was a quiet person by nature but he couldn’t let YongGuk sit there and waste an opportunity.

“I just...it would hit me really hard if I was rejected. For me, that would mean singing definitely isn’t for me,” YongGuk revealed.

“There are lots of universities you could apply to; you have so many chances. I think you should start with my university,” JunHong said confidently.

“Wh-what?”

“I’ll help you with your application if you want,” JunHong offered excitedly.

“I...JunHong...”

JunHong immediately retreated when he realized how animated he had become.

“Sorry...” he said awkwardly. This was why he didn’t talk to people. It always ended in embarrassment.

“No...don’t be sorry. You’re right.”

JunHong blinked and looked at YongGuk.

“If you’ll help me I’ll try.”

“Actually?” JunHong asked as a smile formed again on his face.

YongGuk nodded.

“But it makes me so nervous just thinking about it...” YongGuk said worriedly.

“Don’t worry,” JunHong assured him, “I’ll help you as much as I can. I know you’ll get in, YongGuk.”

The man gave him a genuine but nervous smile and sipped his lukewarm tea.

“Well it can’t hurt to try.”




 



 

*hides face* yes, shame on me for being away for so long plus I feel like this just isn't up to par ;_; what did you guys think? Please don't hesistate to comment ^^;;; and thanks for being patient <3



 



 

pic cr