Necessary Evil

The Perfect Fit
I'd practically been counting the hours since Minho had left with Taemin. I was driving myself insane, watching the clock like a madman and insisted on it's ticking to keep me sane. I hadn't slept much, aside from nodding off every once in a while. It had been about 46 hours since I'd seen his kind eyes and smiling lips. I couldn't decide if my pain was more relatable to being away from a lover or away from a child. I'd already locked away all of my research papers and personal notes about him and the only thing left to do was wait. I'd considered stopping by Taemin's house to see him on my way to the University, but decided it would only hurt him. At work, my lectures were becoming lazy and uninformative. I was well aware that it was disrespectful to my students, but I couldn't keep myself together without him. 
 
I walked quietly on the dirt path home. My bag felt heavier than usual, and I practically dragged it along with me. Surely the neighbors would notice and spread rumors, probably assuming that I've lost all of my charm and become an alcoholic. I laughed at the idea. If they only knew how torn apart I was. I dreaded walking up those stairs, into my empty flat, greeted by silence instead of my beautiful, grinning Minho. I glanced at my watch when I reached the first step; it was 5:23 PM. About now he would be putting away his toys or books and waiting at the door for me like an excited puppy. I willed my mind to imagine he would be there as I turned the knob, my lips already curling into a smile, but it wasn't Minho I was greeted with. I quickly turned bitter at the sight of Kim Jonghyun lounging carelessly on my couch and two men I didn't recognize rustling through my desk drawers. 
 
"Kibum! You're finally home." He grinned maliciously as he sat up from his comfortable position, "Not even a hello for an old friend?" 
 
I averted his eyes and dropped my bag at the door, "Do you even have a warrant for this?"
 
"Of course I have a warrant," he laughed, "I wouldn't burst through your door uninvited. Surely you know me better than that." 
 
He was so different from how I remembered him. He'd been cosmetically altered with white blonde hair and his eyes were a different color. It was as if he had completely traded his old self for a newer, more powerful Jonghyun. Even his suit was ridiculous, but it fit the Council's style of being flashy and rich. Even if his name was the same, he was someone different entirely and certainly not the man I once loved. 
 
He pulled himself up and walked toward me, placing a hand in the small of my back and turning me away, "Let's talk. We have a lot to cover and I want this over as soon as possible." I couldn't even fight him, I didn't have the will. If I wanted to keep Minho, I had to comply. He closed the door behind us, leaving the strangers in my house alone. 
 
Before we were even down the stairs, he started, "So tell me, Kibum...did you finish the machine? What was his name...I can't seem to recall." His tone was mocking and obnoxious.
 
"M.I.N.H.O. It was Minho. And no, I scrapped him." I bit my lip nervously. He'd known me long enough to be able to call me on a bluff.
 
"Ahh, so it was. You scrapped him? But we put so much into him." 
 
"I knew I couldn't finish him when you left me. I needed you, he needed you."
 
Jonghyun cocked an eyebrow in my direction, "Him? He? Last I checked, the machine was an it. You're too vulnerable, Kibum. I considered offering you a position beside me, but I knew you were too soft. I guess I always admired that about you." His hand found mine and attempted to lace fingers, but I pulled away.
 
"I never would have accepted. You took too much of me when you left. To say the very least, Jonghyun, I believe I hate you." My only defense was arrogance. I could see right through him.
 
"Very well, that's acceptable." He sighed, pulling a pocketwatch from his coat, "Perhaps we should visit Taemin. I'll have to investigate him as well anyway." 
 
I hid my wide eyes underneath my hair, trying to compose myself to answer, "I figured you would, but it's already late. He may be studying or getting ready for bed." 
 
"At 6 PM?" He laughed, "Who doesn't have time for old friends at 6 o'clock?" He started walking faster, sending my heart into a frenzy. This was it. This could be the last time I ever see Minho. I wanted to punch him, knock him clear on his , but it was too suspicious if I tried to stop him now. 
 
It's all over. Everything I've taught him, as close as we've come, it's all over. I felt the panic sink into me as I watched him stride, coming closer and closer to the house just around the corner. It was too late.