Backstabber

The Perfect Fit
My heart pumped faster, trying to catch up with the fear sinking into my body bit by bit. I looked at Minho, presumably resembling a startled deer because my eyes were so wide with shock. I pushed him aside, running past Taemin and down the stairs of the building to the mail slot. As I expected, there was a single envelope with a giant royal blue seal stamped on it. My breath started to catch and I felt myself beginning to hyperventilate. I tore it open, yanking the letter violently from the envelope. I whispered along as I read the words scribbled on it.
 
Professor Kim Kibum, 
It has been brought to the attention of the Highest Council that you have possibly built a Humanoid. The evidence from our sources seem likely, considering your history with projects of this nature. We will be sending 3 agents and a Councilman to investigate the premises as quickly as possible. If you've done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to hide, correct? 
Sincerely, Councilman Lee Jinki
 
I crushed the letter in my hands, angry with it's contents. I knew it was Jonghyun all along. Hadn't he broken me enough? I stormed back up the stairs, refusing to look Taemin in the face. Minho stood alone, seeming confused and upset by the sudden panic. I bit my lip hard and approached him, running my fingers along his jaw. 
 
"Minho, why don't you go read in the bedroom? I picked up a new book for you." I pulled the leatherbound book from my desk and handed it to him, shooing him away from the coming controversy. He complied, though confused. Bless him; he couldn't possibly understand the severity of the situation. I waited until I heard the doorknob click to a close before pushing my face into my hands.
 
"What are you going to do, Professor?" Taemin asked, attempting to place his hand on my shoulder. 
 
I slapped it away childishly, fighting back tears with everything I had in me. "There's nothing I can do. If they find him or any evidence that he exists, they'll take him. How could I be so stupid to take him out and introduce him to outsiders?" I couldn't fight anymore. My tears fell helplessly into my own palms. 
 
"Because he's human to you." Taemin sighed, wringing his fingers nervously, "Hide him at my place. They won't suspect me, I'm sure of it!" He beamed with hope, staring into my eyes with sincerity. 
 
I laughed, shaking my head, "Don't you understand? It's all Kim Jonghyun. Remember?"
 
Taemin's eyes widened, forgetting his previous professor. ". He started the project, didn't he? So he already knows..." 
 
"I'm glad to see you've tried to forget as much as I have." I pounded my fist into the hard desk, "You can't convince someone who's already seen something that it doesn't exist. I'm sure this letter was sent much before they left. They could already be here for all we know." 
 
Taemin placed his hands on my shoulders and shook me, making the situation imperative, "We have to try. I put a lot into him too, and I don't want to see him destroyed. Please."
 
I nodded reluctantly, trying to pull myself from my own despair, "Just give me a moment with him." I walked to the bedroom carefully, trying hard to clear my expression of pain before approaching him, the one I loved more than anything. The only thing in the world that was my own. 
I closed the bedroom door behind me quietly, taking in the sight of Minho propped against the headboard, engrossed in his book. He lifted his eyes and smiled at me, closing the pages and setting it aside. I crawled into his lap intimately, clutching the sheets on either side of him, but my eyes never left his. He kissed me before I had the chance to do so first, but it only sent an ache through me. 
 
"Minho, I need you to pay attention." I whined, "There's some...bad people coming and they want to take you from me. I need you to stay with Taemin until they go away." 
 
I watched his emotions shift into something I'd never seen in him before: anger. "I can't do that! I don't want them to hurt you. I have to be with you."
 
I pushed a finger to his lips and shook my head, hiding my own fear and anger. "It's important. Please, Minho. Don't fight me. This is life and death." I started to cry again, and he pulled me into his embrace. 
 
"I don't want to leave you."
 
I was afraid I could be lying to him again, but the sentence fell from my lips before I could stop it, "It won't be forever, I promise."