I Would For You

The Perfect Fit
Minho heard a knock on the door, knowing that was his cue to slip into the basement. He felt his system speeding up, hoping it was Key at the door this time. Minho hadn't met anyone that had visited Taemin's home in these few days and he was starting to feel lonely. He couldn't even will himself to pick up a book because the only thing coursing through his mechanical veins was the reminder of his creator. He found the crawlspace under the damp stairs and curled up there in the dark. His chin rested on his knees and he willed himself into stand-by mode. He had nothing to look forward to without Key.
 
Taemin pushed a table in front on the basement door and slipped a jacket on, answering the knock as promptly as he could. He gasped at the sight waiting on his doorstep.
 
"Professor Kim and...Professor Kim!" He scratched his neck nervously, "What an interesting surprise." 
 
"It's Councilman Kim now, Taemin. May I come in?" Jonghyun rudely pushed passed the younger man and invited himself inside. Taemin shot a look at Key, but he only responded with a nod. 
 
Taemin half-ran in front of him, pushing papers and books into shelves quickly, "Please excuse the mess, Councilman. I wasn't expecting company." 
 
Jonghyun sneered, "You seem awfully disorderly today. That's not like you." He crossed his arms, watching Taemin shuffle around and clean in a hurry.
 
"Stress will do that to you. Professor keeps me on my toes with my studies, you know." He forced a nervous laugh from his throat, "What can I do for you?"
 
"I'm here on business, about the machine we started to build a few years ago. Do you remember?" Jonghyun was coy as he sunk into an open armchair and forced a harsh gaze on the younger man. 
 
Taemin's eyes flicked to meet Key's, but he was unresponsive. He stood in the doorframe and rubbed his temple with delicate fingers, shaking his head slightly. 
 
"I'll tell you everything I remember if you give me just a moment to prepare you a drink. It would be rude of me if I didn't. Excuse me." Taemin tried to slip past Key but he grabbed him by the arm when Jonghyun's attention was taken by some notes nearby.
 
"Scrapped." was all he whispered to him before letting him go. Taemin nodded, reassured by Key's fabricated story. 
 
Key walked further into the room, uncomfortable leaning against a bookshelf. He eyed Jonghyun nervously as he flipped through papers. A picture fell from between the pages and into Jonghyun's lap, one that Minho had observed days prior. He smiled lightly, running his thumb over it. Kibum couldn't help but notice his personality change in that second as he slipped back to the Jonghyun he once knew. 
 
"This is one of my fondest memories," he grinned wider as he looked at it, "we were so happy then." 
 
Key could only sigh in response. He didn't feel like seeing Jonghyun at all, nonetheless talking about their spoiled love. Taemin returned quickly, handing a cup of tea to Jonghyun and slumping into the chair opposite of him. He clutched the arms of the chair tight and let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. 
 
Jonghyun took a sip and turned his gaze to Taemin, smiling lightly, "So whatever happened to the machine?"
 
"We put the project on hiatus when you took your leave and eventually scrapped it all together." Taemin shrugged, shaking his nervousness quickly. 
 
"But why would you simply tear down something we worked so hard on? There was more than 3 years work into it. I find it hard to believe." 
 
Key stepped forward, his anger finally reaching a point for him to speak, "Because you're a two-faced, no good, piece of and you abandoned it all! There was no point in finishing it if you weren't there!" He clenched his fists and welcomed the rush of heat rising in his face. 
 
Under the stairs, Minho heard his creator's voice and snapped out of stand-by. He quickly pulled himself from his spot and ran the stairs, yanking on the locked door in panic. He rarely heard Key upset, and all he wanted was to protect him. He could hear the argument between them getting more heated and he became more and more afraid. The only thing his mechanical mind could decide to do was to break the flimsy door down. He crashed though it, causing deep indentations in his wax skin. He clumsily forced himself through the hole he made and crawled over the table in front of the door, looking up to find the 3 of them staring at him in disbelief. 
 
"MINHO, NO!" Key cried out, running to him. 
 
Jonghyun crossed his arms and shook his his head, snickering to himself, "Why would you lie to me, Kibum? I think I have all the evidence I need. Good day." He his heels and left, not saying another word.