Roommates

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

As you turned off the lights in your apartment, you looked back, wondering when you would return. You had packed the night before, and you were all set to become a black op, or at least you hoped you were.

“I wonder if they will let my bring Pickles?” You asked yourself, holding up the cat carrier that held your sixteen pound fat cat. He was the boring color of grey, but his blue eyes were gorgeous, and he always received many complements from the neighbors. Pickles had been with you for almost fifteen years, so he was pretty old. You couldn’t leave him here alone. Besides, none of the neighbors had time to stop by and check up on him.

 You hoisted your bag onto your shoulder, and carried Pickles with the other.

“Well Pickles, let’s go!”

Once you left your apartment complex, you decided taking a cab would be easier than walking. Calling down a cab, you hopped in, placing Pickles in the seat next to you.

“Please take me to this address.” You said, handing the driver the business card that Detective Kim had given you previously.

“Here we go Pickles! This is going to be a new life for us. I just hope we have fun and that there is enough space for your litter box.” You said patting the cat carrier.

The driver looked back at you, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh no- sorry. Just talking to my cat!” You said waving a hand.

His eyes widened and you realized how weird that sounded.

“Aish.” You muttered.

About fifteen minutes later you arrived at an extremely large building that looked very sophisticated. You gave the driver your card and then hopped out.

“Here we go pickles.” You said to your cat, who replied with a quite meow.

You walked into the building and approached the front desk. A woman sat behind it, and as you walked up to it she raised an eyebrow with a questioning look.

“Hi~ I’m here to become a black op!” You said confidently, looking her into the eye.

“Do you have an appointment?” She said boringly, typing on her keyboard.

“Uh… I don’t think so?” You replied.

“Well then your dreams will have to be postponed until you make an appointment.” She said rudely, looking at you from head to toe.

You pursed your lips, and tried again.

“Detective Kim met with me yesterday. He gave me this.” You said, handing her the business card.

“Oh? He did? Can you give me your name?” She asked, ready to type your name into her database.

“My name is Grace-“ But before you could finish she stood up abruptly, and walked around her desk.

“MISS GRACE?” She said acting flustered.

“Please forgive me for being so rude! Let me take your bag!” She said grabbing your bad that was hanging over your shoulder. She bowed deeply and shook your hand roughly. A wide grin was plastered on her face.

“I am so honored to meet you! Detective Kim was telling us all about you! Please, follow me!” Your eyes were open wide in disbelief. You stood there shocked, but followed the receptionist to the elevators.

The doors opened slowly and you both stepped inside.

She pressed B on the number pad, which meant you were heading to the basement. And by the looks of how many floors there were, it would take a while.

“So-“ The receptionist turned towards you excitedly.

“What is this gift that Mr. Kim was telling us about?”

“My gift?” You repeated, as Pickles began to whine in his carrier.

“Well, it’s not very exciting but I can talk to the dead.”

The receptionist stared at you for a moment.

“That is truly amazing. You want to know why Mr. Kim asked me to work here?” She asked.

“Uh, yeah sure?”

“It was because I can type fast.” She said nodding her head proudly.

“Oh.” You said, eyes widening.

“That’s some gift you got there.” You added, trying not to sound rude.

Suddenly the elevator rang, and the doors opened. And what you saw before you was truly daebak.

It was a wide military style floor, with computers set up everywhere. There were televisions playing with what looked like people who were being watched. There were no bright colors, everything was some shade of grey or black. To the left there was a large door that led to what looked like a gym, with an auditorium and a wide variety of work out machines. And to your right there were about fifty smaller doors that had a number on them, number one to number fifty. You assumed that one of those rooms was yours.

Farther in the back you saw a large kitchen, with a giant pantry. Three men cut vegetables and looked like they were cooking something.

“Woah~ This place is big!” You said to the woman.

“Yes it is. Just a second, let me find Mr. Kim.” She said looking around. A group of people walked by with a man leading them in the front. They all seemed to be discussing something seriously.

“Ah! Director Kim!” She said, flailing an arm wildly in his direction. He looked up from his papers and saw you, a smile spreading across his face.

“I see you decided to join us Miss Grace.” He said walking towards you after he dismissed the people that he had been talking to.

He shook your hand, and took your bag from the receptionist.

“Please, follow me.” He said.

“Agent Park, please call alarm 8.” Mr. Kim said to a young man sitting at a computer.

You both walked to your left, and into the auditorium.

You stood there for about a half a minute, before a group of well dressed men and women filed in, standing in rows before you.

“Everyone, this is Miss Grace. She is the women that I was telling you about earlier. She has decided to join us at black ops. Please give her a warm welcome and help her out if she needs any. Now I am sure that Miss Grace wouldn’t mind answering a few questions.” He said, and multiple hands immediately shot into the air.  

“What is your gift that Director Kim was talking about?” One young man asked with a smile.

“I can talk with the dead. But if the person has been dead for more than 48 hours, I can’t.” You answered, hoisting Pickles’ cat carrier into your other hand because he was getting heavy.

“Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?” One girl asked.

“Sure. My name is Grace. I am 24 years old. I used to be a police officer, but we all know how that ended.” You said smirking.

“Oh, and this here is my cat named Pickles. I hope that I can bring him along.” You said, facing Mr. Kim.

“Of course. But he has to stay in your own room.” He said nodding.

You smiled, and everyone clapped, welcoming you to the team.

“Disperse!” Mr. Kim said, and everyone marched out of the auditorium.

He turned back to you.

“So, Miss Grace. I have a few things to discuss with you. Firstly, here is your room key.” He said handing you a small key with the number 28 on it.

“Secondly, there are no personal showers in your rooms. Only toilets and sinks. So if you want to bathe, head behind the kitchen, and straight ahead there are the women’s showers. If you run into any trouble, just tell me. I’ll be around.

Next, here is your schedule for tomorrow. For today just try to get acquainted with some people. Make some friends. Breakfast is at 10am. Lunch is at 1pm, and dinner is at 6pm. Showers are only open until 11pm.” He said handing you your schedule.

“Now if you will excuse me, I have some business to take care of.” He said smiling, and walking out as well.

You stood there for a few seconds, letting this all sink in.

“I guess we could get used to this, Pickles.” You said to your cat. He agreed with a timid meow.

You grabbed your bag and practically dragged it to where you eventually found room 28.

“Here goes nothing.” Taking your room key, you inserted it into the door knob and twisted it, hearing a click.

Slowly turning the knob, you entered.

What you saw before you was amazing. It wasn’t too small, but big enough to fit two people. Right by the door there was a bunk bed against the wall, and on the other side sat a table with two chairs. To the right you guessed was the bathroom, and straight ahead was the living space with a large glass window and HD television. Each bunk bed had a small television as well.

Suddenly from the bathroom door you heard a click, and saw the knob turn. The door opened and a man walked out. Shirtless.

His hair was bright red, and he was extremely handsome.

You both stood there, speechless, for a few seconds. Your eyes were wide and it took everything not to look at his toned abs and chest.

Until you realized, “Awwww crap. It’s you!” You said, remembering the man from the day before.

“YOU!” He yelled.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? IN MY ROOM? WITH BAGS?” He said, eyes getting angrier each time.

“Don’t tell me- your Grace?” He said.

“You know- before we talk about all that, you should really put on a shirt.” You said, cheeks flushing.

He ran back into the bathroom and came out with a black t-shirt on.

“You have some explaining to do.” He said, walking up to you and grabbing your bags.

“But first of all, you are not staying here.” He said opening the door angrily and marching outside.

“I second that.” You said, following close behind.

“DIRECTOR KIM!” He boomed, searching for the director.

The director spotted you both and approached you.

“Is there a problem?” He said, hands folded.

“This is her, director Kim. The klutz from yesterday?”

“HEY! I’m not a klutz! You’re the idiot that was standing behind me and IN MY WAY.”

“Yeah, whatever. None the less, I cannot room with her! Not only that, but she’s a woman!” He said, fuming.

“I’m sorry, but all of the rooms were full so I had nowhere else to put her. Please just bear with it for a while. I trust that you won’t make any advances on her?” Mr. Kim said smiling, and just as an elevator door opened, he slipped in, and the door quickly closed behind him.

“There is no way. I’ve never had to share a room.” He spat briskly, and marched back to door 28.

You followed closely behind, but just as you reached the door it was slammed in your face.